- Texas teacher group criticize big money for pro-charter school candidate
- Feb 25, 9:51 AM: A Texas teachers union slammed a PAC for funneling big money to a pro-charter school candidate running for the State Board of Education.
- Dallas ISD to launch 13 new choice schools next school year
- Feb 25, 8:54 AM: Dallas ISD is continuing to scale innovation as it announces the launch of 13 new choice schools for next school year.
- Texas now requires new charter schools to ensure they won’t teach critical race theory
- > Feb 18, 9:03 AM: The Texas Education Agency confirmed this week it now requires new charter schools to submit a "statement of assurance" that the school will follow so-called “critical race theory” laws before opening its doors to the
- Many Black, Latino students graduating in Texas’ top 10% aren’t enrolling in college
- Feb 17, 8:56 AM: Despite automatic admissions, officials worry too many students aren’t seeking higher education. This might be why.
- Potential teacher certification requirement faces pushback from Texas teaching organizations
- Feb 15, 9:52 AM: A controversial new certification requirement for new Texas teachers is set for a vote by the State Board of Education this summer.
- Micro school offers alternative learning experience amid pandemic challenges
- Feb 14, 9:45 AM: Eight-year-old Alice Flores is showing off a new way of learning in the classroom. With interactive menus, colors and a kid-friendly layout, Flores is excited to begin today’s lesson.
- Crisis in Texas schools: Survey says 66% of teachers want to leave classroom
- Feb 8, 9:03 AM: A Texas American Federation of Teachers' conference Monday highlights why educators are considering leaving classrooms at rates like never before.
- ‘Educators are feeling overwhelmed’: Aldine ISD cancels classes for next 3 Fridays as a result of shortages due to COVID-19
The next three Fridays will be holidays for students and planning days for staff in the Aldine Independent School District.
Jan 27, 9:08 AM:
- Column: Abbott Flirts With Endorsing School Vouchers
- > Jan 27, 8:25 AM: As for Abbott, the governor has said in past sessions he would sign any school choice bill that came to his desk. But when it came down to Abbott's actual speech on a parents' bill of rights last Thursday in Lewisville,
- Dallas ISD To Launch Full-Time Virtual School This Coming Fall
- > Jan 26, 8:48 AM: "There are kids who didn’t realize that this was their best way to learn until we were forced into virtual learning in the pandemic and now that we know this is their best way, we want to give it to them,” she said.
- Commentary: Student attendance is down because of COVID, putting public school budgets at risk
- > Jan 25, 8:32 AM: As parents watched and read stories of school closures due to teacher absences and navigated their own concerns about COVID, thousands of children did not return to in-person learning after the winter break.
- Gov. Abbott promises parental ‘Bill of Rights’ in Texas education
- Jan 21, 7:06 AM: Gov. Greg Abbott released a parents’ “Bill of Rights” on Thursday, mirroring a national conservative push fueled by fractious debates over how race and sexuality are addressed in schools.
- Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa to leave role as district leader
- Jan 13, 6:13 AM: Dallas superintendent Michael Hinojosa will step down from his post leading the state’s second-largest school system by the end of this year.
- Houston County Schools asking parents to choose learning method 8 months in advance
- Jan 13, 6:03 AM: August seems like a long way off, but the Houston County School District is already making decisions about the fall school year, opening their virtual learning application process this week.
- Houston ISD is hiring 500 students and alumni as elementary school tutors to combat COVID setbacks
- Jan 7, 7:52 AM: Houston Independent School District is calling on students and alumni for help to address the loss of learning its elementary students suffered due to challenges from the pandemic.
- A proposed Texas charter school promised to be antiracist. Then it got caught up in the critical race theory fight.
- Jan 7, 7:47 AM: A planned San Antonio charter school was on the verge of winning final approval from the Texas Education Agency last August when a final set of requests arrived.
- North Texas Charter School Network Leaves Texas Association of School Boards
- Jan 7, 6:42 AM: Life School Superintendent Brent Wilson said he was unsurprised but "disappointed" by TASB's advocacy against charter schools.
- As COVID cases rise, so do Texas teacher shortages, absences and burnout
- > Jan 5, 8:05 AM: As pandemic uncertainty continues, schools across the country and in Texas are finding it increasingly difficult to staff campuses with the necessary number of full-time and substitute teachers to maintain normal
- KIPP Texas charter school pushes back return date for students amid omicron surge
- > Jan 5, 7:58 AM: The public, tuition-free charter school announced Monday evening that it will push the return date back one day for students to Thursday, Jan. 6 to allow for the completion of staff and student PCR testing due to the
- Austin ISD to stop virtual learning program
- Dec 29, 8:32 AM: Next week, about 3,000 Austin ISD students who were going to school online will head back to the classroom in the new year.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- KXII-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Star-Ledger 17%
- The Port Arthur News 17%