- ACLU to Gov. Bill Lee: Release records on Hillsdale charter schools
- Mar 2, 9:27 AM: The ACLU of Tennessee has requested that the state of Tennessee release all records regarding its announced charter school partnership with Hillsdale College in Michigan.
- Tennessee Supreme Court grills attorneys in second hearing on Gov. Bill Lee's school voucher program
- > Feb 25, 9:24 AM: The Tennessee Supreme Court on Thursday reheard arguments over Gov. Bill Lee's contentious school voucher program, hours before he announced a new statewide education funding plan that could shift the way the state thinks
- Gov. Bill Lee unveils new school funding formula aimed at focusing money directly on students
- > Feb 25, 9:01 AM: Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee and his education commissioner unveiled a sweeping new plan Thursday for how to pay for public education in the state, detailing for the first time a proposal that puts the funding focus more
- State Supreme Court to hear school vouchers case a second time
- > Feb 24, 8:26 AM: Attorneys for Metro Nashville government and the State of Tennessee will again face off before the Tennessee Supreme Court over a controversial initiative of Gov. Bill Lee that would provide state-funded scholarships for
- A bill to bypass local school boards on charter decisions passes Tennessee Senate committee
- Feb 24, 7:19 AM: A bill allowing charter schools to bypass the local approval process passed a key Senate committee Wednesday amid a renewed round of contentious debates around charter school expansion in Tennessee.
- Tennessee considers new path for charter schools to open without local district input
- Feb 23, 9:13 AM: Key Republicans in the state legislature are looking to make it even easier for charter schools to expand by allowing them to bypass the local approval process.
- Tennessee bill speeding up application process for charter schools has school board member worried
- > Feb 16, 8:49 AM: As legislators in Nashville debate a bill that makes for easier creation of charter schools, a Johnson City Board of Education member is worried about what more charter schools could mean for public education funding.
- Proposed GOP charter schools bill makes it easier for a charter to bypass local school boards
- > Feb 15, 9:15 AM: A GOP charter school bill in front of a House education subcommittee Tuesday could set the stage to make the creation and expansion of charter schools in Tennessee easier. It’s part of Governor Bill Lee’s plan to reshape
- Four new charter schools proposed for Nashville, including Arabic-language school, nature academy
- Feb 15, 9:00 AM: Four charter schools are seeking approval this spring from the Metro Nashville Board of Education to open new schools.
- State Board Launches New Charter School Authorizer Evaluation Process
- > Feb 8, 9:10 AM: During its February quarterly meeting last week, the State Board of Education released its first set of charter school authorizer evaluations, which ensure the effective operation of all authorizers and evaluate authorizer
- Civics, charters and classical ed: What to know about Hillsdale College's K-12 efforts in Tennessee
- Feb 2, 9:13 AM: In the past decade, Hillsdale has grown its multifaceted K-12 program, most notably defined by the 21 charter schools it helped establish throughout 10 states.
- In a first, three Memphis schools to exit ASD, join state's charter commission
- Jan 31, 7:05 AM: Three Memphis schools will exit the state-run Achievement School District and join the Tennessee Public Charter School Commission, a first for schools in the state's turnaround efforts.
- Two KIPP Memphis schools renewed for 10 years as MSCS board unanimously flips district's recommendation
- > Jan 27, 9:02 AM: KIPP Memphis' Collegiate Elementary and Academy Middle will remain open, the Memphis-Shelby County Schools board voted Tuesday night. The district had recommended the two schools close at the end of the year due to low
- New legislation could give Tennessee schools 10 days for virtual learning each year
- Jan 27, 7:45 AM: A new bill filed by two Republican lawmakers this week could give schools the option to offer virtual or remote instruction in the event of extreme weather or serious outbreaks of illness.
- 2 KIPP Memphis schools approved to keep charters
- > Jan 26, 9:02 AM: Two KIPP Memphis schools will keep their charters after the Shelby County school board voted on Tuesday. The vote allows KIPP Academy Middle School and KIPP Collegiate Elementary School to stay open, despite low test
- Mother of 4 organizes hybrid homeschooling
- Jan 25, 8:03 AM: The Powell resident, while juggling an infant and toddler along with a second grader and sixth grader, is in the process of forming a homeschool group with a unique twist in education.
- New voucher proposal targets districts that hold virtual learning
- > Jan 24, 7:42 AM: The new proposal specifies that schools can offer fewer than 180 days of in-person class if COVID isn’t the reason. Currently, at least 35 public schools across the state had at least one classroom or grade level offering
- Education advocates call on Gov. Bill Lee to give additional $1B to Tennessee schools
The State Collaborative on Reforming Education called for Tennessee to add an additional $1 billion in recurring funding to the nearly $6 billion the state already spends each year on public schools.
Jan 21, 7:19 AM:
- New Tennessee school voucher bill clears key Senate committee
- > Jan 20, 9:15 AM: A bill allowing families to use state dollars to send their children to private schools if their zoned public school goes virtual cleared the Senate Education Committee Wednesday, marking a victory for a renewed push for
- East TN school leaders have choice: Cancel class or go virtual
- > Jan 20, 7:09 AM: Several school districts in East Tennessee will be closed for the remainder of the week due to staff shortages. At least one district has moved its eighth through 12th grade students to virtual learning for the same
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%