- Charleston County School Board stalls vote on controversial $31.6M Reimagine Schools proposal
- Jan 11, 8:59 AM: The Charleston County School Board further delayed a vote on a controversial proposal aimed at potentially improving 21 low-performing schools.
- Charleston Co. School Board to vote on ‘Reimagine Schools’ proposal
- > Jan 10, 9:04 AM: The ‘Reimagine Schools’ proposal from the non-profit Coastal Community Foundation would cost the school district around $32 million over the course of 10 years, the goal being to “close the student achievement gap and
- Groups at odds over controversial proposal to ‘reimagine’ Charleston County schools
- > Jan 6, 7:31 AM: The concerns being raised include claims that CCF has little to no prior experience with school operations. Another is why CCSD would choose to utilize an outside party instead of funneling the money directly into the
- SC Department of Education looks to raise teacher, bus driver salaries amid shortage
- Dec 29, 8:24 AM: As part of its budget request to lawmakers for the 2022-23 fiscal year, the South Carolina Department of Education is looking to increase salaries for two critical jobs: teachers and bus drivers.
- SC Education Department wants raises for teachers, bus drivers
- > Dec 22, 6:30 AM: S.C. State education leaders want to increase teachers’ pay by 2% next school year and find a way to give higher annual raises for teachers early in their teaching careers. The request is part of the Department of
- Greenwood Charter Academy finds space for new school
- > Dec 21, 9:09 AM: In empty space in the mall is getting new life and an upgrade.The space in Greenwood Mall that was used as a Sykes call center and a furniture store, among other things, is under contract to be the home of the upcoming
- Editorial: Ready to re-imagine schools? Again? Charleston plan worth pursuing.
- > Dec 21, 6:50 AM: It does, after all, have a bit of a “Here we go again” feel: Just two years after the Charleston County School District approved parts of its Mission Critical plan to improve education at low-performing schools while also
- Recommendations for S.C.’s education sales tax aimed at getting schools back on track
- Dec 14, 7:40 AM: South Carolina’s Education Oversight Committee is encouraging the state to use sales-tax revenue to get schools back on track from pandemic learning loss.
- SC teachers say unmanageable workload, lack of respect driving exodus
- > Dec 6, 9:07 AM: In addition to workload problems, teachers said that they feel like they’ve lost parents’ support. Tiffany Dorris, a former eighth grade English teacher at Dorchester School District Two, said that parents’ recent attitude
- 'Part of the change': Liberty STEAM Charter Executive Director Khalil Graham wants school to be ‘spark’ for area education
From high school dropout to promoting excellence as a standard in K-12 education. From poverty and rough neighborhoods in Brooklyn, New York, to creating opportunities for students.
Nov 30, 7:47 AM:
- Waitlist grows for Lowcountry families during school enrollment freeze
- Nov 29, 8:50 AM: The Lowcountry’s only public charter school for kids with learning disabilities has been unable to accept students for nearly two months after being notified it failed to meet requirements.
- Virtual tutoring now available for South Carolina students
- > Nov 23, 7:24 AM: COVID-19 has had an impact on student learning in South Carolina, with schools going virtual for most of the 2020-21 school year and the beginning of the 2021-22 school year. Parents having to deal with at-home virtual
- School choice advocate announces run for SC superintendent of education
- > Nov 22, 7:13 AM: Ellen Weaver, president and CEO of the Palmetto Promise Institute and chairman of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, announced her candidacy Sunday in an editorial published in The State newspaper.
- Greenville nonprofit in the running for $1 million 'education innovation' prize
- Nov 17, 10:36 AM: A goal of COS was to "flip the script for minority and low-income children; to not only prevent them from falling behind in school, but to empower them to excel," a report on the program said.
- Charter school group that has paid millions to founder’s companies expands to SC
- Nov 17, 10:10 AM: An Arizona-based charter school group that has faced scrutiny over its founder’s business dealings is expanding to South Carolina.
- Editorial: SC charter schools are complicated. Parents need to read the instructions.
- > Nov 16, 7:35 AM: Less obvious to too many parents is where that flexibility comes from and how broad it is: In addition to being able to ignore all those state regulations that parents want them to ignore, charter schools also may ignore
- SCVCS test scores highest among virtual schools in South Carolina
- > Nov 12, 9:03 AM: South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) students saw exceptional levels of performance during South Carolina State Testing for the 2020-2021 academic school year. Total combined scores for students ranks SCVCS as the
- Ex-Jim DeMint aide, SC school choice advocate considering run for education superintendent
- > Nov 1, 5:40 AM: Ellen Weaver, president of the conservative think tank Palmetto Promise Institute who also chairs the Education Oversight Committee and is on the board of the Governor’s School for Arts and Humanities, said she’s been
- South Carolina Superintendent of Education Molly Spearman says she won't seek reelection
- Oct 28, 5:47 AM: Molly Spearman, South Carolina’s superintendent since 2015, announced Wednesday morning that she would not be seeking a third four-term as the leader of the South Carolina Department of Education.
- Governor McMaster speaks at conference honoring charter school partners
- > Sep 30, 8:13 AM: Governor Henry McMaster joined multiple motivating speakers at the first Kids First Conference Wednesday afternoon. The conference was created partly by the South Carolina Public Charter School District to honor and
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
- Tribune-Times - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Item - Online, The 0%