- Senate approves bill to revisit how NJ's K-12 schools are funded
- Feb 15, 9:53 AM: A bill that aims to reexamine how the state’s K-12 schools are funded was approved by the Senate on Monday and is en route to the Assembly for a vote.
- Union will pay $1,200 per semester to students enrolled in Newark teacher training academy
- > Feb 15, 9:44 AM: The national president of the American Federation of Teachers union was in Newark on Monday to announce that the union will pay a stipend to high school students enrolled in a teacher training academy to help them avoid
- Attacks On Charter Schools Places Their Muni Bonds In Jeopardy
- > Feb 14, 9:59 AM: University Heights Charter School in Newark NJ appears to have become the victim of New Jersey's teachers union fight to end charter schools in that state. In this case, it is at the cost of bondholders as well as the
- Parents upset over denial of charter school expansions
- > Feb 11, 10:14 AM: Some parents with children attending charter schools in New Jersey are pleading with the state Department of Education to change its mind and approve expansion requests. Several requests for expansion were recently denied,
- New Jersey blocks expansion of three Newark charter schools, continuing slowdown of charter growth
- > Feb 10, 10:06 AM: New Jersey has blocked the expansion of three Newark charter schools — North Star Academy, Philip’s Academy, and Roseville Community Charter School — a sign that Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy’s administration is continuing
- NJ schools focus on figuring out how to fix COVID learning loss
- > Feb 9, 9:34 AM: For Freehold Borough and other school districts in Monmouth and Ocean counties, the major impact has been on so-called “learning loss,” the diminished education of many students who were forced to engage in virtual or
- Murphy Administration Denies Expansion for Two Newark Charter Schools
- > Feb 9, 9:31 AM: The State Department of Education denied multiple requests from charter schools to add seats in Newark in decisions that will result in some students having to be sent back into district schools and hundreds more who will
- Two Paterson charter schools will expand enrollment by over 500 students
- Feb 3, 9:56 AM: With hundreds of children on their waiting lists, two charter schools received state approval for expansions that will allow them to increase their enrollment by a total of 515 students.
- How one South Jersey school district is coping with its teacher shortage: A month of early dismissals
- Jan 31, 9:23 AM: Beginning Monday, thousands of students in the Millville school district will go home early. Faced with a severe teacher shortage, the South Jersey district plans to operate on a shortened school day.
- Philip’s Academy Charter School will open new campus at old Paterson Leader Dye site
- > Jan 26, 8:58 AM: Philip’s Academy Charter School of Paterson will have a new campus at the old Leader Dye site on Madison Avenue, according to a press release issued by Building Hope, a Washington D.C.-based organization that builds
- Virtual learning in New Jersey this time around? Both easier and more difficult for staff and students
- Jan 18, 7:24 AM: As many districts have switched to virtual this year to account for coronavirus-related staffing shortages, teachers have had to dust off their virtual tool kit as learning resumes on screens.
- Poll: Newark Voters’ Support for Charter Schools Remains Steady While Concerns Grow Towards COVID’s Impact on Learning
Support for public charter schools among Newark voters remains, but the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on student learning has many concerned, according to a recent poll commissioned by the New Jersey Children’s >
Jan 14, 9:26 AM:
- More N.J. schools switch to virtual learning as COVID continues to surge
- Jan 3, 6:59 AM: Several more school districts across New Jersey have announced they will resume classes remotely this this week as COVID-19 cases continue to rise.
- How LEAD Charter School Helped this Student Turn His Passion for Problem-Solving Into a Career Path
- > Dec 30, 9:23 AM: For Freeman, all he needed was for someone to push him to perform to his potential. That push came one day when he learned aboutLEAD Charter School, an alternative high school in Newark where students can obtain their high
- As COVID cases surge, some schools will go remote in January. Here are districts’ plans.
- > Dec 23, 7:39 AM: As coronavirus cases continue to surge throughout the state, several New Jersey schools have announced plans to shift from in-person schedules to remote learning. Others say that while they plan to return in person, they
- Rally by Randolph students, parents calls out lack of teachers, school building problems
- Dec 22, 9:17 AM: A small group of parents and students rallied in front of Randolph High School on Tuesday to support more than 100 students who walked out last week to call for improvements at the school.
- At Learning Community Charter School it's all About Reading, Writing and Vaccination?
- > Dec 21, 9:08 AM: As soon as COVID vaccinations became available for children, the Centers for Disease Control stressed that schools should help promote them. One Jersey City public charter school took that challenge on through an art
- Newark Parents Join State Charter Association to Ask Supreme Court to Include All Public Schools in Plan for School Facilities Funding
- > Dec 17, 7:57 AM: Parents from Newark this week joined the New Jersey Public Charter Schools Association in filing legal documents asking the state Supreme Court to consider facilities funding for charter schools in state-designated
- Camden Charter School Promises Students Full Tuition to Rutgers University
- > Dec 9, 6:26 AM: Receiving a college education is important to the LEAP Academy University Charter School in Camden. So important, that on a recent morning more than 800 of the students were guaranteed full scholarships to Rutgers
- How LEAD Charter School Afforded This Student the Opportunity to Give Back as Healthcare Professional
- > Dec 7, 9:10 AM: When Kayana Clarke saw that her father wasn’t getting the medical attention she felt he deserved after having a medical emergency, she was determined to seek a career path in healthcare to afford others the attentiveness
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Trentonian 100%
- Watchung-Green Brook Patch 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record, The 0%
- The Star Ledger 17%