- Enrollment open for new charter school options expand in Southern Nevada
- Mar 9, 7:04 AM: Charter school options are expanding in Southern Nevada, with at least one new school scheduled to open in North Las Vegas and a Henderson school expanding to students in kindergarten to fifth grade.
- New charter school opening in North Las Vegas this fall
- > Feb 23, 6:27 AM: CIVICA Nevada Career & Collegiate Academy, an individualized instruction academy, is set to make its debut this fall. The school’s focus is on hands-on learning through STEM and career-oriented curriculum.
- Teachers demand lawmakers spend more on education at Carson City rally
- > Feb 16, 8:09 AM: With school out for Presidents’ Day, fourth-grade teacher Lauren Proffitt was among a crowd of teachers rallying Monday at the Nevada Legislature for lawmakers to find new revenue streams to help fund schools — regardless
- Opinion: School shutdowns: How one city helps students reverse severe learning loss during pandemic
- > Feb 12, 9:06 AM: In North Las Vegas, Nev., an entrepreneurial group of civic leaders and educators have decided to try something different. Looking for a way to provide in-person instruction while minimizing the risks of exposure to COVID,
- More ‘micro classrooms’ available for North Las Vegas students
- Feb 10, 7:39 AM: The city of North Las Vegas has been offering “micro classrooms” to help kids with their school, especially children who don’t have access to the internet.
- Henderson charter school shows what the hybrid learning model looks like
- Feb 4, 7:30 AM: Several charter schools in the Las Vegas Valley have already been doing the hybrid model for months now, including Pinecrest Academy of Sloan Canyon in Henderson, which started in October.
- EDITORIAL: School choice needed now more than ever
- Feb 1, 6:46 AM: The past year has provided a stark object lesson for why students and families desperately need school choice. Little wonder that national polling continues to show it enjoys strong support.
- 'Mental health is at core of the decision': Las Vegas charter school to welcome back students
- > Jan 28, 8:14 AM: Starting Feb. 1, sixth through twelfth grade students will also have the opportunity to learn in person. "Their mental health is at the core of the decisions of why we have decided to open our doors," Leneave said. "If we
- Surge of Student Suicides Pushes Las Vegas Schools to Reopen
- > Jan 25, 8:51 AM: Since schools shut their doors in March, an early-warning system that monitors students’ mental health episodes has sent more than 3,100 alerts to district officials, raising alarms about suicidal thoughts, possible
- Failing grades increase during remote learning in the Clark County School District
- > Jan 12, 7:28 AM: The Clark County School District saw a sharp uptick in the number of failing grades issued during the first semester, bolstering evidence that distance education has challenged students learning through a computer screen.
- Editorial: Nevadans step up to ensure that children’s educational needs are met
- Jan 8, 8:01 AM: The effort shows how much good can be accomplished when the private and public sectors band together with the best interests of our children in mind.
- LETTER: Why is the teachers union keeping kids out of the classroom?
- > Dec 23, 7:55 AM: The union has no right to dictate when to open the schools, and the district has no right to let them. School-age children are the least likely to get COVID, and teachers can social distance and wear masks like the rest of
- Nevada charter school overseer allows in-person teaching to continue
- Dec 14, 8:24 AM: Nevada’s public charter schools will be allowed to continue offering in-person classes despite rising COVID-19 case rates statewide.
- State data shows discipline inequities in charter schools
- Dec 8, 8:54 AM: Within Nevada charter schools, Black students and students with disabilities are more likely to be involved in incidents resulting in suspensions than their peers.
- COMMENTARY: With safety in mind, the Clark County School District needs more options
- > Nov 30, 6:37 AM: Clark County is the country’s fifth-largest school district. We already provide in-person learning options for a handful of our rural schools with different needs than our urban schools. I don’t believe a one-size-fits-all
- New Las Vegas charter school authorized, scheduled to open in August 2021
- > Nov 12, 7:05 AM: A brand new charter school will be opening its doors next year in Las Vegas. Sage Collegiate Public Charter School — a tuition-free, college preparatory, public charter school — has been authorized by the State Public
- Charter authority board OKs allowing 40% of students on campus
- Nov 9, 7:58 AM: Nevada’s public charter schools will have the option of bringing more students back to campus for in-person classes starting next week.
- Charter board to consider reopening to 40% of students
- > Nov 5, 7:58 AM: Nevada State Public Charter Authority will bring a recommendation to its board Friday seeking to allow schools in counties with elevated levels of COVID-19 transmission — including Clark County — to bring up to 40 percent
- A rural district's solution for reopening schools? Six-week courses for older students
- > Oct 23, 6:20 AM: Gone are days of back-to-back classes from early morning through mid-afternoon. Now, Churchill County students in secondary grades take two courses at a time in six-week increments. They meet five days a week for each
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- Las Vegas Review Journal 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KTVN-TV - Online 33%
- Record-Courier 33%