- Sheriff Bob Fletcher plans charter school in Ramsey County focused on public service
- Oct 21, 5:37 AM: Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher is planning to open a new charter school next year that aims to steer students toward careers in public service.
- Editorial: Education is not one size fits all
- > Oct 15, 8:46 AM: Our current system runs as a one-size-fits-all program. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out this is not a good system. However, far too often it’s the teachers who are getting blamed when a student isn’t
- Minneapolis Teachers To Picket Thursday, Call For More Support Amid Pandemic
- > Sep 30, 8:07 AM: Greta Callahan, the president of the union’s teacher chapter, said that the federal American Rescue Plan is providing the district with nearly $160 million, which she believes is more than enough for the district to
- Column: Good news about 6 nationally recognized Minnesota Blue Ribbon Public Schools
- > Sep 30, 8:05 AM: Six Minnesota public schools and, actually, the whole state received terrific news on Sept. 21, when the U.S. Department of Education named them Blue Ribbon Schools. These six were among 325 nationally that were recognized
- Property taxes could jump 11% for average St. Paul homeowner
- Sep 28, 8:48 AM: Superintendent Joe Gothard said the district must “ensure that we have the investments necessary for us to continue to do our work.
- New tool in our tool kit': Minnesota colleges say online classes here to stay
- Sep 20, 9:11 AM: A new health sciences degree program at the University of Minnesota Rochester will combine online and in-person learning to help students complete their studies in just over two years instead of four.
- Column: More personalized, active learning needed now
- > Sep 3, 9:55 AM: As I review state and some local plans spending hundreds of millions of dollars to help youngsters recover from challenges of COVID-19, I see huge amounts for more social workers, counselors and tutoring. Each of them can
- Minnesota student reading and math scores suffer during COVID-19
- Aug 30, 2:13 PM: Statewide assessment results for 2021 show declines in the number of students meeting or exceeding grade-level standards compared to 2019 after a year of virtual learning and disruptions from COVID-19.
- A very difficult decision’: Minnesota schools divided on masking
- > Aug 17, 4:46 PM: School mask policies have been among the most contentious issues district leaders have faced this summer. Some district leaders have even had to ask law enforcement for help maintaining calm at public board meetings where
- Parents Demand More Distance Learning Options As COVID Cases Rise Ahead Of School Year
- > Aug 5, 12:01 PM: While teachers prepare their classrooms for in-student learning, some of the state’s largest districts — like St. Paul and Anoka-Hennepin — will also offer some sort of virtual learning option. But WCCO learned Wednesday
- More Minnesota schools can continue online option, will make local choices on pandemic precautions
- Jul 23, 3:49 PM: All Minnesota public schools can choose to offer an online learning option this fall — but they won't be required to do so, as they were earlier in the pandemic.
- Private school enrollment soars during pandemic
- > Jul 21, 3:19 PM: “Our leadership team worked tirelessly all last summer with a lot of planning, hard work and trust. We had the kids back in school on August 18,” said Melissa Dan, president of Hill-Murray. “The teachers were nervous to
- Teachers, staffers at 2 Minnesota charter schools agree to form unions
- Jun 14, 12:50 PM: Educators and staff members at two Twin Cities charter schools have voted to unionize with the aim of taking a bigger part in school decisionmaking.
- As more students fail during pandemic, MN schools look to protect GPAs, get teens on track to graduate
- > Jun 7, 5:39 AM: With students struggling to learn from home during the coronavirus pandemic, many schools in Minnesota and elsewhere removed D’s and F’s from report cards in favor of pass-fail grades that don’t hurt grade-point averages.
- Opinion: 'One-size-fits-all' may work for clothing but not for education
- > May 26, 8:58 AM: Minnesota has a long-established pride in the educational opportunities for young people. Minnesota can again be proud of the many options for our children to thrive in an educational environment that exceeds
- How will Minnesota schools use $1.3 billion in COVID relief funds?
- > Apr 15, 6:22 AM: The Minnesota Department of Education is required to spend some of the funds on addressing learning loss, through enrichment — i.e. learning activities beyond the school day, including after-school programs — and summer
- 'It’s time to create our own table': Minnesota Parent Union seeks to empower students and families
- > Mar 17, 6:55 AM: The organization was started in 2019 by former Black Lives Matter activist, Rashad Anthony Turner. It’s meant to give training and agency to families of color and low-income white families, who Turner said are all too
- Community learning pods aim to meet shifting needs as Minnesota schools return to class
- > Mar 12, 7:52 AM: Since November, the Hope Youth Center has been operating its community learning pod in a donated former office space in the Midtown Exchange building. But now, faced with few ongoing funding sources and the gradual
- Minnesota education commissioner resigns; deputy commissioner appointed to lead agency
- Mar 10, 9:12 AM: Minnesota Education Commissioner Mary Cathryn Ricker has resigned after two years on the job, saying she wishes to return to classroom teaching, Gov. Tim Walz announced Tuesday.
- Lawmakers consider amending constitution to guarantee a ‘quality public education’
- Mar 10, 8:49 AM: The Page Amendment, a proposal to change state constitutional language relating to public education, received an informational hearing by the House Education Policy Committee Monday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%