- Hispanic interest growing for Michigan's schools of choice
Hispanic parents nationally are increasingly investigating alternatives to traditional public schools, according to a survey released this week by Conoce tus Opciones Escolares.
Sep 23, 7:31 AM:
- Michigan Charter Schools Sue US Department of Education Over New Rule
An organization representing Michigan charter schools is suing the U.S. Department of Education over a new rule that its lawyers say will undermine charter schools.
Aug 9, 8:56 AM:
- Pointers look to open public charter school
A group of local residents is making plans to open a public charter school in the area in time for the 2023-24 school year.
Jul 28, 9:47 AM:
- The state took children from their parents — then failed to give them a ‘real’ education
Michigan is catastrophically failing to provide many of the most vulnerable children in its care with a quality education, delaying some teenagers’ graduation by years or leaving them so frustrated that they drop out of >
Jul 13, 7:40 AM:
- US Supreme Court decision could affect private school funding debate, court case in Michigan
A U.S. Supreme Court decision Tuesday in a school choice case from Maine could play a role in the Michigan debate over private and public school funding. A divided court held that states offering subsidies to private >
Jun 22, 8:48 AM:
- These states require personal finance education before graduation
- Jun 9, 7:28 AM: Learning about personal finance in high school is now required for about one-third of the country.
- Getting a Fuller Picture of Education Choice
- > Jun 7, 9:26 AM: It hasn’t been easy to accurately report on Michigan’s latest plan to expand education options. Yet as the proposal advances, honest attempts to grasp the choice landscape should continue to improve the discussion.
- Ann Arbor charter school fighting for survival says management firm made up student count
- > Mar 28, 6:44 AM: An Ann Arbor charter school is facing possible closure — and a legal battle involving claims of mismanagement and inflated student counts — after Eastern Michigan University announced last fall it would not renew the
- Opinion: When it comes to school choice, Ohio has Michigan beat
- > Mar 28, 5:53 AM: I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. I recognize that’s not a very popular thing to say in Michigan. But beyond the advantages of being a hardcore Buckeye fan, perhaps nothing about being born in Columbus has done more for me than
- Court to Hear Challenge to Michigan’s Discriminatory ‘Blaine Amendment’ Today
- > Mar 25, 8:43 AM: The United States Federal District Court will hear oral arguments today in a challenge to Michigan’s Blaine amendment, brought by five families across the state and the PACE Foundation, a nonprofit membership organization
- New public charter school coming to Hamilton County
- Mar 25, 8:13 AM: Hillsdale College of Michigan has agreed to partner with Valor Classical Academy to establish a tuition-free public charter school in Hamilton County.
- Jalen Rose, His Detroit Charter School Profiled on HBO’s ‘Real Sports’
- Mar 23, 6:37 AM: "It’s going to be young people that are achieving their goals and aspiring to do great things and there are going to be adults that are helping that happen. And I have total faith in this city."
- Detroit public schools plan for more than $1 billion in federal aid
- Mar 23, 6:30 AM: Detroit's public school system is investing much of its $1.3 billion in federal COVID-19 relief aid to improve learning for its students and help fix what has been broken for decades.
- "Decline to sign" campaign kicks off to fight private school scholarship ballot initiative
- Mar 17, 6:13 AM: A new coalition of public education supporters has launched a campaign to defeat the "Let MI Kids Learn" ballot petition drive backed by former U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.
- Public school advocates launch effort to stop DeVos-backed school scholarship proposal
- > Mar 17, 5:42 AM: A new ballot committee For MI Kids For Our Schools declared during its virtual launch Wednesday that all options are on the table to stop the Betsy DeVos-backed Let MI Kids Learn ballot initiative that public school
- How COVID cash could help Michigan schools tackle a mental health crisis
- > Mar 14, 6:19 AM: Two years of frustration, disruption, and loss have taken their toll on Michigan students, exacerbating a youth mental health crisis that has been building for more than a decade. Michiganders want schools to take action,
- Crisis in the Classroom: Charter school transparency
- Mar 4, 9:40 AM: The state of Michigan has 292 charter schools, public schools that get state funding.
- Michigan enrollment ticks up, but pandemic losses continue for city districts
- > Feb 25, 9:10 AM: The addition of nearly 6,000 students, or 0.4%, may be a hopeful sign that parents are becoming more comfortable sending their children to classrooms nearly two years after Michigan schools were first shuttered due to
- Column: Whitmer budget unfriendly to state’s charter schools
- > Feb 23, 6:47 AM: Whitmer wants to provide a $2,000 retention bonus to teachers across the state, but only to those who are directly “employed by” their districts. Most public charter school teachers are paid as contractors and thus
- Jacques: Whitmer budget doesn't put 'every student' first
- > Feb 17, 9:25 AM: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer recently made a big deal about her budget and its significant bump to education spending. In typical fashion, she’s keeping political considerations at the forefront — not necessarily what’s best for
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Burton View - Online, The 0%
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%