- Opinion: Iowa charter school bill signed by Reynolds will give families choices
- > Jun 1, 6:26 AM: Before the bill was signed, a charter school could only be created with the authorization of the local public school district. Perhaps because of this limitation, only two charter schools currently exist in Iowa. With the
- Pandemic fueled Iowa's push to expand school choice opportunities, advocate says
- > May 21, 5:24 AM: Those who support expanding parents’ choices when choosing how to educate their kids say the pandemic fueled the issue. "It was kind of a catalyst to make school choice bubble to the top of the conversation,” said Trish
- Gov. Kim Reynolds signs charter school expansion into law. Here's what that means for education in Iowa.
Charter school groups looking to form new schools in Iowa can now bypass local school boards and turn directly to the state government for approval under a law signed by Gov. Kim Reynolds Wednesday.
May 20, 5:29 AM:
- Iowa State Education Association advocates for teacher input as districts allocate federal dollars
- > May 11, 7:32 AM: From improving building ventilation to avoiding layoffs to adding summer school classes, Iowa school districts have a wide variety of ways to spend the hundreds of millions of dollars in federal money that will be divided
- New law: Iowa school districts' voluntary diversity plans must end; students have more time to open-enroll
- > May 11, 6:03 AM: Republicans have pushed for the change as part of a package of "school choice" efforts this year. They said eliminating the plans will keep students from being trapped by their socioeconomic status in districts where they
- Iowa charter schools bill prepared for governor’s action
- > May 5, 5:28 AM: The bill would establish a new charter school program for the state that would provide two pathways for these schools: through the local school board creating a school within the district or through a founding group
- Charter School Expansion Bill Sent To Governor
- Apr 29, 5:37 AM: Gov. Kim Reynolds is expected to sign a bill (HF 813) given final approval in the Iowa Senate Wednesday that creates a new pathway to establish charter schools in Iowa.
- 'A step backwards': DMPS students protest education-related bills at Iowa Capitol
- > Apr 27, 6:49 AM: One measure, House File 813, would establish a new method of creating charter schools in Iowa. It would allow a founding group to apply directly to the state Department of Education to form a charter, rather than going
- Des Moines schools' students expected to walkout of class in protest of education-related bills
- Apr 26, 7:40 AM: Des Moines Public Schools' students are planning to walk out Monday to protest legislative action — and they are doing it with the support of the staff and school administrators.
- House sends governor ban on diversity plans in 5 Iowa Districts
- > Apr 22, 5:41 AM: House Republicans have sent the governor a bill that immediately forbids five Iowa school districts from using voluntary diversity plans to deny student transfers. It’s one in a group of “school choice” bills Republican
- As students head back to school classrooms, 'learning pods' shrink
- > Apr 16, 6:59 AM: Yet starting in September, Douglass found herself the head of a class, assisting students with virtual learning. What had started as supervising her little sister and a couple of friends turned into a full-fledged learning
- Opinion: Making sense of the school choice polling in Iowa
- > Apr 7, 5:35 AM: The Des Moines Register recently released the results of a poll they commissioned that included questions about policies that empower parents to select K-12 options for their children beyond their geographically assigned
- Column: Making sense of the school choice polling in Iowa
- > Apr 5, 6:06 AM: School choice has been a hot topic in Iowa this legislative session; lawmakers considered enacting an education savings account or ESA program, which would provide eligible families with a government-authorized account to
- Joint enrollment options popular with local high school students
- Apr 2, 7:01 AM: About 3,000 high school students made up about half of the total enrollment at Northeast Iowa Community College last school year.
- Charter schools, but not vouchers, advance in Iowa Legislature;
- > Apr 2, 6:51 AM: The measure would allow a founding group to apply directly to the state Department of Education to form a charter school. The bill would retains the current method of applying to a local school board to create a charter.
- Charter School Expansion Advances In Iowa Senate
A bill creating an independent system of publicly-funded charter schools took another step forward in the Iowa legislature Thursday.
Apr 2, 6:14 AM:
- Public-Funded, Privately-Run Charter Schools Closer To A Reality In Iowa
- > Apr 1, 5:58 AM: Iowa House Democrats put up a long but unsuccessful fight last week over Republican efforts to establish public funding for privately-run charter schools—a years-long attempt that Democrats have been working hard this
- Iowa schools see first enrollment decline in a decade with no way to account for where all students are
- > Mar 31, 5:57 AM: Public school enrollment in Iowa is down for the first time in a decade, with around 6,000 fewer students enrolled statewide this school year compared to last. Districts who are dealing with a decrease in enrollment and
- School officials: Charter schools unneeded, may divert public funds
- Mar 30, 6:47 AM: Local school officials say charter schools are not needed and could siphon funds away from public schools.
- Iowa House passes bill expanding open enrollment, shortening wait for athlete transfers to compete
- Mar 26, 7:00 AM: The Iowa House passed a portion of Gov. Kim Reynolds' sweeping education proposal Thursday afternoon to expand open enrollment for Iowa students and increase tax credits offered to Iowans.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- PR Newswire 83%
- Record-Herald and Indianola Tribune - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Hawk Eye - Online, The 0%
- Estherville Daily News - Online 17%