- Atlanta high school graduation rates increase for class of 2021
- Oct 22, 8:31 AM: Atlanta Public Schools’ four-year graduation rate reached 83.1% for the class of 2021. That’s an increase from the year before, when it was 80.3%.
- Atlanta Public Schools offers $3,000 bonus to recruit virtual teachers
- Oct 21, 6:17 AM: Teachers willing to start a new job mid-year with the Atlanta Virtual Academy will receive a $3,000 hiring bonus.
- Atlanta Public Schools recruiting teachers for virtual expansion
- Oct 5, 7:53 AM: Atlanta Public Schools is trying to hire more teachers to ensure every student who wants to enroll in the district’s virtual program can make that switch.
- GaDOE launches ESSER funding dashboard to evaluate COVID-19 relief funds
- > Sep 30, 8:31 AM: The Georgia Department of Education has developed an ESSER funding dashboard that will provide a simple, transparent way for the public to see Georgia school districts’ use of federal COVID-19 relief funds.
- Column: Offering choices will not hurt public schools
- > Sep 27, 9:15 AM: For too long, money has been an excuse not to give more options to more families. The notion we would defund public education by extending options was never true: In the case of charters, we’re still talking about public
- Atlanta Board of Education candidate forum to focus on charter schools
- Sep 22, 9:08 AM: Candidates will be invited to participate in a forum organized by the Atlanta Charter Partner Network. The topics discussed will focus on charter school issues.
- As COVID surges, metro Atlanta parents seek virtual school options
- > Sep 1, 12:38 PM: In the spring, when Caitlin Snyder and her husband committed to sending their two young daughters to in-person classes this school year, COVID-19 case rates were low and the Cobb County School District required masks.
- Online options limited for Central Georgia parents sending students back to school
- Aug 25, 9:43 AM: Right now, Superintendent Curtis Jones says the district doesn't allow parents to choose individual virtual learning.
- Private schools also facing COVID safety challenges as semester begins
- > Aug 23, 1:10 PM: Atlanta area private schools are facing the same quandary that public schools do as they reopen for fall: how to control the spread of COVID-19 enough to keep students in classrooms in places where public health
- New report shows steep decrease in student achievement from virtual learning
- Aug 10, 4:30 PM: New research is showing that the method of having students open their computer and log in to learn may have led to a decline in their educational growth.
- Charter school, district fix transportation issue for special education students
- > Aug 5, 12:15 PM: While students, parents, teachers, administrators were expressing excitement Wednesday about the first day of in-person school for everyone in almost 18 months, Savannah-Chatham and Savannah Classical Academy are still
- Opinion: Back to school issues renew calls for lawmakers to expand school choice options
- Aug 5, 11:49 AM: It would be better, easier and quicker simply to let families choose the schools that best fit their children’s needs, whatever those needs may be
- Kemp under pressure to ban school mask mandates
- > Aug 4, 11:30 AM: As a growing number of school districts adopt mask requirements to stem a spike in new coronavirus cases, Gov. Brian Kemp is facing pressure from fellow Republicans to block administrators from imposing the requirements.
- Bumpy start to expanded special needs education voucher program stresses parents
- Aug 2, 10:29 AM: Carter said their private school with its smaller classes has been a godsend for her family, and she’s thankful for the scholarship that allows them to attend.
- Column: Parents deserve the chance to choose their child’s school
- > Aug 2, 10:23 AM: That’s why, as debates central to our children’s education become more politicized — whether they should be or not — every parent deserves the ability to choose a different option for their child.
- Charter school families scramble for student transportation from all over Chatham County
- > Jul 22, 11:10 AM: In the priority lists for student transportation set up by the Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools, one omission stands out: charter schools. SCCPSS operates five charter schools – free public schools within the
- Opinion: Provision in federal spending bill jeopardizes charter school funding
- > Jul 22, 10:46 AM: When looking at a map of charter schools in Georgia, the overwhelming majority are located in places like the cities of Atlanta and Savannah as well as the counties of DeKalb and Clayton. The student population in these
- Drew Charter students among 13 teams presenting inventions for real-world problems
- > Jun 15, 7:31 AM: A team of 16 students from Charles R. Drew Charter Senior Academy in Atlanta is among 13 teams nationwide awarded the Lemelsom-MIT InvenTeams grant to invent solutions that solve real-world problems. The team’s invention
- Southside charter school delays opening to 2022; seeks investors to support construction
- Jun 7, 7:54 AM: For one, it gives the start-up charter school time to raise funds and build permanent structures instead of depending upon leased portables for its first year.
- 'Targeted tutoring' can help Savannah public school students catch up in classroom
- Jun 7, 7:45 AM: During the 12 years I spent at Oglethorpe Charter School, one of the most effective practices we developed for catching up students who were behind was what I’ll call “targeted tutoring.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- CNN.com 92%
- WXIA-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Griffin Daily News - Online, The 17%
- LaGrange Daily News Online 17%