- Charter school bill unanimously passes second House committee
- > Jan 20, 9:38 AM: The measure (HB 225), sponsored by St. Cloud Republican Rep. Fred Hawkins, would require school boards to renew — or not renew —charter schools at least 90 days before the school year ends. Otherwise, the charter would
- Virtual reality charter school shows off technology at digital launch event
- > Jan 7, 6:34 AM: At a virtual press conference, Donalds — through a 3-D rendered avatar — said this type of virtual instruction will be unlike anything students have experienced, whether during the pandemic or before it.
- Pasco schools enlist an unlikely ally to help keep up with growth — charters
- Jan 5, 7:37 AM: As new home developments continue to boom across Pasco County, the local school district barely can keep up with the demand for seats.
- Pasco expands school choice with new magnet programs
- Jan 5, 6:49 AM: Pasco County parents will have new choices for the children's education as the district adds three new magnet schools in the fall.
- To close achievement gap, statewide program will deliver free books to millions of students
- Dec 21, 9:02 AM: A statewide program is getting books into the hands of millions of children.
- Cape Coral approves new Oasis charter schools lease
- Dec 17, 6:54 AM: Cape Coral City Council unanimously approved a five-year agreement to lease city buildings to Oasis charter schools, reflecting a new hands-on approach for the charter school system.
- World’s first virtual reality charter school, Optima Domi, launching in Naples
- Dec 16, 8:54 AM: School choice advocate Erika Donalds-led Optima Domi announced it is launching the world’s first virtual reality charter school.
- Following federal scrutiny, FL education officials returned $878,000 to certain local school boards
- > Dec 14, 9:29 AM: After several months of legal challenges, state sanctions, and a special session that outlawed strict mask mandates in public schools, the Florida Department of Education returned $877,851 in state funds to eight school
- Opinion: Black families in Florida all in for education choice
- Dec 10, 6:25 AM: A funny thing happened over the past 20 years while critics were condemning education choice in Florida as a right-wing plot: Hundreds of thousands of Black families flocked to embrace it.
- Florida lawmakers seek stability for charter schools
- Dec 2, 11:19 AM: A measure is moving through the Legislature to add guidelines to how charter schools may be renewed or terminated. It received rare bipartisan support in its first House committee stop.
- Democratic lawmakers push for more accountability for Florida’s school vouchers
- > Nov 22, 8:59 AM: Unlike Florida’s public schools, private schools that take state scholarships can hire teachers without college degrees and can avoid publicly sharing their graduation rates and student test score data.
- Opinion: Greater school choice would help close the achievement gap
- > Nov 3, 6:19 AM: Much of the popular discussion involving public elementary and secondary education revolves around terms such as “social justice” and “systemic racism,” although these terms are not consistently defined or understood by
- Hillsborough County Public Schools Offers Tutoring For Quarantined Students
- > Nov 2, 8:06 AM: School district leaders in Hillsborough County have created a new virtual tool to help pre-K and elementary school students learn better and reduce learning loss while in quarantine. The program, which uses the Microsoft
- Growth in virtual schools has Rep. Fine talking about changes to K-12 funding
- > Nov 1, 5:44 AM: The COVID-19 pandemic prompted skyrocketing student enrollment in virtual education, putting a spotlight on competition among Florida providers and igniting a debate about whether lawmakers should change the way public
- Are you looking for a school in South Florida? These just made the best list
- > Oct 27, 7:49 AM: Two of the schools that ranked high were Somerset Academy at SoMi (South Miami campus) and Doral Academy of Technology. Both charter schools — Somerset in the elementary division and Doral in the middle school division —
- Better public education in Florida starts with a new education commissioner | Editorial
- > Oct 22, 8:27 AM: Florida needs a new education commissioner. The lowlights of Richard Corcoran's tenure have centered around endangering students and their families with the coronavirus, bullying pubic school administrators and school
- Red Hills Academy, Leon County's newest charter school, approved to open next year
- > Oct 21, 6:31 AM: Leon County School Board members had originally denied the school's application based on what they called budget and safety concerns at the time. The Florida Charter School Appeal Commission later overruled the board,
- Classical Education Meets Virtual Reality
- Oct 19, 9:25 AM: In a school in development in Florida, old is meeting new. Optima Classical Academy, slated to open next school year, plans to use virtual reality and online learning to teach classical education.
- Opinion: Visible Men Academy's new studies will boost reading skills
- > Oct 19, 8:34 AM: As a charter school in Manatee County that focuses on the education of boys in difficult financial circumstances, we have long placed an emphasis on character training for students and life coaching for parents and
- League of Women Voters Talk Details Probe into Florida's School Voucher Program
- Oct 19, 5:40 AM: The League of Women Voters of Florida recently conducted a study of the state's School Voucher programs and that will be the subject of an upcoming talk to be held via Zoom Thursday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- Pine Island Eagle - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Ocala.com 0%
- ClickOrlando 0%