- Scholarships given to low-income families, students living with disabilities
- > Oct 19, 8:10 AM: Academic Opportunity of Arizona, a non-profit group, awarded hundreds of full-tuition scholarships to lift the financial burden of private school, providing more opportunities for children from low-income families or those
- Traditional public or charter schools? Tucson area parents discuss their experiences
- > Oct 19, 5:33 AM: It’s one of the biggest decisions that parents can make: where to send their children to school? In Arizona, parents often choose between traditional public schools and charter schools. Both are public schools, funded by
- Feds tell Ducey he can't use COVID money for anti-mask grants
- Oct 6, 9:24 AM: COVID grant dollars cannot be used to penalize schools that impose mask mandates, a key federal official is telling Gov. Doug Ducey.
- Micro-schools are being established in Arizona: What you should know about the new learning format
- > Oct 5, 9:48 AM: As classes take place at a public school in Mesa, learning was also taking place inside the walls of a home right across the street. Inside the home, kindergartners were busy working on their daily tasks with their teacher
- Critics Blast Arizona's School Voucher Offer As A Way To Avoid Mask Mandates
- Sep 28, 9:06 AM: Arizona's governor is promising families who want to opt out of school mask or vaccine mandates vouchers to cover private school tuition. That money is coming from federal COVID-19 relief funds.
- Interest in Arizona voucher system surges among parents against mask mandates
- Sep 27, 9:24 AM: Arizona Gov. Greg Ducey (R) is offering $7,000 in federal COVID-19 relief funds to parents whose children's school requires them to wear masks, KJZZ reports.
- Some families enjoy flexibility of remote learning
- > Sep 22, 8:57 AM: For 13-year-old Olivia Lupeika, her bedroom doubles as her classroom. Since January, the eighth-grader has been a student at Arizona Connections Academy, an all-virtual school. Olivia's parents decided to pull her out of
- Opinion: Public schools now costlier than college
- > Sep 14, 10:25 AM: Arizona public schools just hit a major milestone — they’re officially more expensive than the full freight tuition cost of sending a child to college at a four-year university here in the Grand Canyon State.
- School board limits extracurricular activities to district students
- > Sep 10, 11:21 AM: If you want to home-school your kids –Enroll them in a private school;Or stick them in one of those full-time online programs;Don’t expect to play football for Payson High School. Or march in the band. Or act in the plays.
- Supt. Hoffman ‘extremely frustrated’ over Gov. Ducey’s school vouchers program
- Sep 9, 2:04 PM: Arizona’s top public schools official is concerned over a new private school vouchers program the governor created for parents who oppose school COVID-19 restrictions.
- ‘Money talks’: Voucher applications for Arizona families against COVID-19 protocols outpace current
- Sep 8, 3:16 PM: A school voucher program announced by Gov. Doug Ducey last month is seeing more applications coming in than money currently earmarked for the program can fund.
- What COVID-19 safety policies look like at some of Arizona’s largest charter schools
- Sep 7, 3:46 PM: As many Arizona students have returned to in-person learning this fall, schools have developed a range of COVID-19 safety policies, from mask mandates to small-group recess.
- School Mask Debate Tests Arizona’s Governor, a Pandemic Pincushion
- Sep 1, 12:07 PM: Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican who is not allowing schools to impose mask mandates but is a vocal supporter of Covid vaccinations, has been battered from all political sides.
- Arizona schools awash in federal virus cash, some flooded
- > Aug 30, 2:17 PM: Arizona K-12 schools have been sent nearly $4.3 billion through several federal coronavirus relief packages, with virtually every public charter school or traditional district receiving extra cash to help them endure
- Despite court ruling, education advocates say Prop. 208 can have a ‘long life’
- > Aug 27, 5:56 AM: Backers of the Invest in Education Act say the voter-approved tax hike on the rich to increase teacher pay and boost school funding has a future, despite last week’s Arizona Supreme Court ruling that the spending plan is
- Mesa company behind microschool boom in Arizona
- Aug 26, 4:37 PM: The pandemic has disrupted traditional education all over the country, leading to an increase in microschools. A Mesa company is the reason behind the boom in Arizona.
- Arizona Vouchers Bypass School Mask Mandates
- > Aug 25, 9:26 AM: Families in Arizona whose children are enrolled in school districts defying state law by requiring masks or temporarily closing due to COVID-19 outbreaks can tap into a new $10 million school voucher program – one funded
- Charter schools thrive in pandemic
- Aug 20, 3:22 PM: Charter schools are thriving in the pandemic world of COVID. KGUN9 On Your Side asked the head of the Arizona Charter School Association to explain their appeal.
- Arizona Supreme Court to decide new education tax legality
- > Aug 19, 4:07 PM: The Arizona Supreme Court is set to release its decision Thursday in a constitutional challenge to a new tax on high earners that was designed to increase school funding and approved by the state’s voters in November.
- From vouchers to federal funding, Ducey offers incentives to Arizona schools, parents to reject mask
- Aug 18, 12:45 PM: In the latest political volley in Arizona over COVID-19 mask mandates, Gov. Doug Ducey is creating two grant programs that would provide funds to families and school districts that reject mask mandates.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- East Valley Tribune 83%
- Daily News-Sun - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- White Mountain Independent 17%
- Holbrook Tribune-News - Online, The 25%