- Thousands of students are leaving Anchorage schools. It could mean a loss of millions in funding.
- Aug 19, 5:57 AM: Thousands of students are leaving Anchorage schools, and it could mean a loss of millions of dollars in revenue this year for the district, according to administrators.
- Iñupiaq charter school opens for enrollment on North Slope
- > Aug 17, 4:10 AM: The North Slope Borough’s first charter school opened for enrollment last week with 60 slots for high school students in Utqaigvik, Wainwright and one additional undetermined community. Qargi Academy, named after the
- Anchorage homeschooling programs seeing a surge of interest
- Jul 28, 6:11 AM: With so much uncertainty around back-to-school plans, more parents are choosing homeschooling options.
- Ketchikan’s back-to-school plan sees pushback from parents dissatisfied with distance learning
- > Jun 12, 6:43 AM: All students would stay home on Wednesdays and check in with teachers via videoconference. And that just didn’t fly with many parents here. Taylor Lee said that even the low-risk plan wouldn’t work for her kids if they’re
- Opinion: One of America’s Remotest States Makes Remote Learning Work
- May 18, 8:06 AM: The Alaska district where my kids attend school has ensured they don’t miss out on an education.
- Opinion: Alaska students don’t need a Florida online school
- > Apr 30, 7:19 AM: The good intentions behind the March 30 announcement were quickly overshadowed as Alaskans learned that DEED had sent more than $500,000 to the scandal-plagued Florida Virtual Schools to provide content to Alaska students
- Opinion: Online school during COVID-19: It’s about student learning
- > Apr 23, 6:46 AM: The COVID-19 pandemic has changed many routines in our lives, but it has not diminished our students’ need and ability to learn. I hope by offering a variety of optional resources for educators and students, we can
- Charter school helps students stay connected amid distance
- > Apr 22, 6:45 AM: The JCCS is a kindergarten through eighth-grade school within the Juneau School District that focuses on a more flexible curriculum for its students. That might be anything from assistance with technology or internet
- Alaska needed help with remote learning. Jeb Bush had an idea.
- > Apr 15, 8:49 AM: Florida Virtual School courses now are available to every student in Alaska as part of the Alaska Virtual School, the Great North’s spin on the program, launched March 31. About 150 students in Alaska are now taking part.
- Opinion: Governor’s surprise launch of no-bid Florida virtual school is egregious
- > Apr 15, 7:05 AM: Relationships matter: A Florida virtual instructor is not in the best interest of student learning anywhere, and especially in Alaska. There can be no authentic relationships built between student and teacher.
- As Anchorage classrooms shift to online learning, many families still need computers and Wi-Fi
- > Apr 13, 7:32 AM: Armstrong’s three kids — in the second, fifth and eighth grades — are all participating in at-home online education with the Anchorage School District’s Winterberry Charter School. For the family of five, vying for Wi-Fi
- Florida Virtual School to provide classes, training to Alaska students, teachers during COVID-19 crisis
- > Apr 10, 6:59 AM: More than 100 public school students in Alaska enrolled in online classes offered by the Florida Virtual School last week, part of a cross-country effort to help youngsters whose campuses are shut down because of the
- Alaska’s new, Florida-based virtual school is not sitting well with some educators
As Alaska educators scramble to adjust lessons to the new reality of online teaching, some are blasting a decision by Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s administration to launch a new virtual school in partnership with a Florida >
Apr 6, 7:12 AM:
- Alaska establishes new statewide online school staffed by a Florida education provider
- > Apr 3, 7:31 AM: Alaska education officials this week announced a new statewide virtual school, the result of a sole source $525,000 contract with an embattled Florida public online education provider — a move the statewide teachers’ union
- Distance-learning lesson plans take shape as Alaska’s students settle in for coronavirus closure
- > Mar 25, 7:21 AM: Districts maintain that they will continue to provide a curriculum to students. And now, what that curriculum will look like is starting to take shape. Melin says each of Alaska’s 54 school districts will handle remote
- Opinion: Anchorage is a stone’s throw from 90% high school graduation rates. But we’re not done.
- > Mar 11, 5:45 AM: Anchorage is doing better in school. Our students’ four-year, public high school graduation rate rose to more than 84% in 2019, an increase of more than three points over 2018 and a whopping 25-point gain since the
- Alaska school superintendents say the state is in ‘a reading achievement crisis.’ They’re pushing for a statewide effort to fix it.
- > Dec 18, 8:43 AM: The superindendents of seven Alaska school districts have signed a letter calling on Gov. Mike Dunleavy and the Alaska Legislature to pass legislation setting a statewide strategy for improving the reading skills of
- Devoted to its run-down schoolhouse, Anchorage charter school looks to taxpayers for repairs
- > Oct 30, 4:51 AM: The Anchorage School District estimates the new boiler, roof and other needed fixes will cost about $10 million. District officials and parents agree the fixes are needed. The question is who pays for it. Aquarian wants to
- Already Under Siege, Labor Unions Face a New Threat From Alaska
- Oct 9, 7:52 AM: After a court ruling allowed public workers who opted out of a union to not pay dues, Alaska’s governor has a new plan that could hobble unions: The workers have to opt in every year.
- Education group seeks new standards through ballot measure
- Oct 2, 7:17 AM: An education advocacy group can begin collecting signatures for a ballot measure it says will establish standards and a framework for education policy, according to a state review.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Valdez Star - Online 67%
- Juneau Empire - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Anchorage Daily News 33%
- The Anchorage Press 33%