- Parents could use the help: Covid made the case for the state education tax credit program
- > Dec 30, 9:26 AM: Many parents in Alaska’s public schools have removed their children due to the shutting down of the schools, masking of the students, and the teaching of Critical Race Theory and other Marxist ideals. Parents have
- School board grants charter schools the authority to require face masks
- Dec 20, 6:49 AM: The Fairbanks school board approved a request by four charter schools to determine their own policies for face masks.
- Family Partnership Charter School faces Anchorage School Board decision on renewal of charter
- > Dec 7, 6:29 AM: Family Partnership Charter School is a homeschooling charter program that is part of the Anchorage School District. Among the several homeschool charters in the state, FPCS offers the highest monetary allotment of $4,200
- Alaska has a teacher retention problem. The state is ready to pay someone to help solve it.
- > Oct 22, 5:06 AM: The state’s education department calls the lack of teachers in Alaska an emergency issue and says the pandemic is only making things worse. It’s willing to pay up to $300,000 to figure out how to attract—and keep—more
- Opinion: Another failing grade for Alaska schools
- > Sep 9, 2:07 PM: In its release of the latest statewide performance assessments for Alaska students, the state Department of Education and Early Development cautioned against comparing the results to prior years but I did it anyway.
- Many families have chosen home school during the pandemic. In Alaska, the rate is especially high.
- > May 10, 5:56 AM: The Bradleys are among the many Alaska families choosing to home-school their kids during the pandemic. From April 2020 to September 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that nationwide, households that opted to
- Fairbanks teachers unions denounce school reopening plan
- Dec 23, 6:59 AM: The associations that represent Fairbanks-area teachers, principals and support staff released a statement Friday opposing the opening of schools in January.
- Parents protest remote learning
- Dec 17, 7:56 AM: The group was a small portion of people across the peninsula who have voiced their opposition to prolonged remote education for schools in the district.
- Kanai parents plan strike to protest remote learning
- > Dec 16, 7:46 AM: One week after the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District Board of Education approved changes to their Smart Start plan, parents are planning a strike and protest for Tuesday to voice their opposition to those changes.
- Anchorage School Board makes it harder for superintendent to pause school reopening plans
- Dec 16, 7:06 AM: The Anchorage School Board on Tuesday passed a memorandum that directs the superintendent not to postpone current plans to begin reopening schools in January.
- Opinion: It’s time to reopen Anchorage schools
- > Nov 10, 7:46 AM: Concerned parents are asking that the Anchorage School District begins in-class school immediately. Not only are many schools across the U.S. and the world attending school in person, many of the districts throughout
- Letter: Online school success
- > Oct 23, 7:03 AM: Thanks to online school, I graduated from high school while tackling the other obstacles in my life. That’s why online school is a nice solution. Whether it’s for your health, or any other reason, it brings learning to
- Opinion: Schools aren’t failing students. Our community is failing students.
- > Oct 16, 6:08 AM: But the one thing educators, students and families from across the district are not doing is failing. Yet, far too many in our community are saying just that. To say that schools are failing our students is not only
- Opinion: The corruption of charter school funding in Alaska
- > Oct 7, 6:40 AM: How do Alaska charter schools manage to keep their class sizes smaller, send their teachers out of state for specialized training, upgrade their buildings and purchase the latest and greatest technology? It’s simple: They
- Anchorage School District could lose millions due to enrollment drop and uptick in home schooling
- > Sep 9, 6:17 AM: Enrollment in the Anchorage School District is down by thousands of students this year after officials opted to start classes online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and many families are choosing home-school programs instead
- Thousands of students are leaving Anchorage schools. It could mean a loss of millions in funding.
- Aug 19, 5:57 AM: Thousands of students are leaving Anchorage schools, and it could mean a loss of millions of dollars in revenue this year for the district, according to administrators.
- Iñupiaq charter school opens for enrollment on North Slope
- > Aug 17, 4:10 AM: The North Slope Borough’s first charter school opened for enrollment last week with 60 slots for high school students in Utqaigvik, Wainwright and one additional undetermined community. Qargi Academy, named after the
- Anchorage homeschooling programs seeing a surge of interest
- Jul 28, 6:11 AM: With so much uncertainty around back-to-school plans, more parents are choosing homeschooling options.
- Ketchikan’s back-to-school plan sees pushback from parents dissatisfied with distance learning
- > Jun 12, 6:43 AM: All students would stay home on Wednesdays and check in with teachers via videoconference. And that just didn’t fly with many parents here. Taylor Lee said that even the low-risk plan wouldn’t work for her kids if they’re
- Opinion: One of America’s Remotest States Makes Remote Learning Work
- May 18, 8:06 AM: The Alaska district where my kids attend school has ensured they don’t miss out on an education.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Valdez Star - Online 67%
- Juneau Empire - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Anchorage Daily News 33%
- The Anchorage Press 33%