- Teacher pay, school choice: 6 education issues to watch as Alabama Legislature starts 2022 session
- > Jan 13, 5:47 AM: During last year’s session, there wasn’t much appetite for education reform. A bill to allow open enrollment among all districts, brought by Sen. Del Marsh, R-Anniston, never made it to the Senate floor for a vote. And
- Alabama Aerospace and Aviation High School officially signs state charter contract
- Nov 23, 9:18 AM: The Alabama Aerospace and Aviation High School (AAHS) on Monday announced that it had signed its charter contract with the Alabama Public Charter School Commission.
- DCS still struggling to get students to stay after challenging two years
- > Nov 23, 7:22 AM: Dothan City Schools saw the largest percentage point drop in enrolled students in the last two years compared to all Alabama public school systems with more than 5,000 enrolled students, according to data collected by the
- Low test scores bring new scrutiny for Montgomery charter school
- > Oct 28, 8:37 AM: The Alabama Charter School Commission is again monitoring a struggling Montgomery charter school, LEAD Academy, after students at the school scored well below state averages on Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program
- Alabama wants a more diverse teacher workforce. It doesn’t know if efforts are working.
- Oct 6, 8:19 AM: While Black students made up a third of Alabama’s public school population in 2018-19, less than 20% of Alabama’s teachers were Black, the researchers found.
- Alabama education chief wants $800 million more for teachers and students in 2023 budget
- Sep 14, 9:59 AM: Alabama education officials have big plans for the 2022-23 school year, judging by the more than $800 million increase they’ll request when the legislative session starts in January.
- Alabama Connections Academy still enrolling students for 21-22 school year
- Sep 2, 11:52 AM: The Alabama Connections Academy is still enrolling students for the 2021-2022 school year. The tuition-free, online public school offers K-12 students a virtual, yet personalized education.
- New aviation charter school approved for Bessemer
- Sep 1, 12:26 PM: The Alabama Aerospace and Aviation High School has received approval from the state public charter school commission and plans to open in the fall of 2022.
- LGBTQ Students Find Hope In New Affirming School: The Magic City Acceptance Academy
- > Aug 30, 11:28 AM: All public schools are supposed to provide a safe learning environment for children, but that doesn’t always happen for LGBTQ students. At his previous public school, Elliot started falling behind during virtual learning
- Alabama school districts prepare at home learning strategies for students in quarantine
- Aug 19, 4:39 PM: She said she’s reached out to her son's school about getting his assignments but hasn’t heard back.
- More Than 600 Grads Will Attend College This Fall Thanks To Birmingham Promise
- Aug 17, 4:25 PM: More than 600 graduates of Birmingham City Schools will attend college this fall with financial aid and other assistance from Birmingham Promise.
- Dual enrollment scholarships for high school students increased
- Aug 13, 11:55 AM: More scholarship money is available in the upcoming academic year for high school students who also want to earn college credits in math, science and engineering.
- Davis Elementary to open as a charter on Monday with new staff and leadership
- > Aug 13, 11:49 AM: Led by the Phalen Leadership Academy, an Indiana nonprofit charter management organization, the start of the school year includes fresh paint, a 'Crayons to College' theme, a new curriculum, a new behavior management
- Back to school 2021: Which Alabama schools offer virtual learning? Can I still enroll?
- > Aug 10, 4:23 PM: As of Monday, two dozen districts have made remote learning available for all grades, and the same amount offer no options at all. Most districts are only providing virtual learning for middle and high school students, or
- Alabama schools are making COVID-19, mask decisions. Parents feel left out.
- Aug 5, 12:07 PM: It’s a version of August 2020 all over again: Parents feel frustrated and out of options.
- Some Mobile County parents asking for more virtual options as COVID-19 cases spike
- > Jul 30, 9:31 AM: As parents wait for more decisions on what the school year will look like at Mobile County schools, some hope for virtual options. “I don’t see how I’m the only parent that feels this way,” said Lisa Dixon, a Mobile County
- Proposal to cut federal funding of charter schools could hurt Montgomery’s Life Academy
- Jul 26, 11:30 AM: A recent proposal could cut federal funding to charter schools across the county, a concern for newly founded Life Academy in Montgomery.
- Alabama Virtual Academy has highest re-enrollment numbers since founded
- Jul 21, 3:26 PM: Online school is the new normal for a lot of families after they had to adapt during the pandemic. Some families even say they’re sticking with it through graduation
- Opinion: The AEA strikes back
- Jun 9, 8:04 AM: After a decade in the political wilderness, the AEA is back as a major political player in Alabama.
- A closer look at Alabama’s $7.7 billion education budget, largest in history
- Jun 2, 7:15 AM: This year’s $7.7 billion education budget is the largest in Alabama history, good news for school officials beginning to recover from a school year like none other.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Tuscaloosa News - Online 67%
- Clanton Advertiser - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%