- Alabama wants a more diverse teacher workforce. It doesn’t know if efforts are working.
- Oct 6, 8:19 AM: While Black students made up a third of Alabama’s public school population in 2018-19, less than 20% of Alabama’s teachers were Black, the researchers found.
- Alabama education chief wants $800 million more for teachers and students in 2023 budget
- Sep 14, 9:59 AM: Alabama education officials have big plans for the 2022-23 school year, judging by the more than $800 million increase they’ll request when the legislative session starts in January.
- Alabama Connections Academy still enrolling students for 21-22 school year
- Sep 2, 11:52 AM: The Alabama Connections Academy is still enrolling students for the 2021-2022 school year. The tuition-free, online public school offers K-12 students a virtual, yet personalized education.
- New aviation charter school approved for Bessemer
- Sep 1, 12:26 PM: The Alabama Aerospace and Aviation High School has received approval from the state public charter school commission and plans to open in the fall of 2022.
- LGBTQ Students Find Hope In New Affirming School: The Magic City Acceptance Academy
- > Aug 30, 11:28 AM: All public schools are supposed to provide a safe learning environment for children, but that doesn’t always happen for LGBTQ students. At his previous public school, Elliot started falling behind during virtual learning
- Alabama school districts prepare at home learning strategies for students in quarantine
- Aug 19, 4:39 PM: She said she’s reached out to her son's school about getting his assignments but hasn’t heard back.
- More Than 600 Grads Will Attend College This Fall Thanks To Birmingham Promise
- Aug 17, 4:25 PM: More than 600 graduates of Birmingham City Schools will attend college this fall with financial aid and other assistance from Birmingham Promise.
- Dual enrollment scholarships for high school students increased
- Aug 13, 11:55 AM: More scholarship money is available in the upcoming academic year for high school students who also want to earn college credits in math, science and engineering.
- Davis Elementary to open as a charter on Monday with new staff and leadership
- > Aug 13, 11:49 AM: Led by the Phalen Leadership Academy, an Indiana nonprofit charter management organization, the start of the school year includes fresh paint, a 'Crayons to College' theme, a new curriculum, a new behavior management
- Back to school 2021: Which Alabama schools offer virtual learning? Can I still enroll?
- > Aug 10, 4:23 PM: As of Monday, two dozen districts have made remote learning available for all grades, and the same amount offer no options at all. Most districts are only providing virtual learning for middle and high school students, or
- Alabama schools are making COVID-19, mask decisions. Parents feel left out.
- Aug 5, 12:07 PM: It’s a version of August 2020 all over again: Parents feel frustrated and out of options.
- Some Mobile County parents asking for more virtual options as COVID-19 cases spike
- > Jul 30, 9:31 AM: As parents wait for more decisions on what the school year will look like at Mobile County schools, some hope for virtual options. “I don’t see how I’m the only parent that feels this way,” said Lisa Dixon, a Mobile County
- Proposal to cut federal funding of charter schools could hurt Montgomery’s Life Academy
- Jul 26, 11:30 AM: A recent proposal could cut federal funding to charter schools across the county, a concern for newly founded Life Academy in Montgomery.
- Alabama Virtual Academy has highest re-enrollment numbers since founded
- Jul 21, 3:26 PM: Online school is the new normal for a lot of families after they had to adapt during the pandemic. Some families even say they’re sticking with it through graduation
- Opinion: The AEA strikes back
- Jun 9, 8:04 AM: After a decade in the political wilderness, the AEA is back as a major political player in Alabama.
- A closer look at Alabama’s $7.7 billion education budget, largest in history
- Jun 2, 7:15 AM: This year’s $7.7 billion education budget is the largest in Alabama history, good news for school officials beginning to recover from a school year like none other.
- Montgomery Public Schools to receive nearly $130 million from American Rescue Plan
- May 5, 5:44 AM: The Montgomery Public School system will receive funding that amounts to more than half of its annual general fund budget, thanks to the American Rescue Plan.
- Parents may continue with online learning indefinitely
- > Apr 27, 7:47 AM: The school year is coming to an end and it’s now time for parents to start making decisions for next year. Families across the country have been forced to adapt to the ways of online learning due to the pandemic, but some
- Charter school funding bill fails in the House
- Apr 23, 4:54 AM: A bill that would have allowed public charter schools to receive more local tax dollars failed to advance the Alabama House of Representatives Thursday.
- Proposal changing charter school funding has potential bipartisan support
- Apr 20, 6:33 AM: As advocates for public charter schools push for more equal funding in the Alabama Legislature this year, an unlikely ally has emerged signaling potential bi-partisan support for the proposal.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Andalusia Star-News - Online, The 67%
- WIAT-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Decatur Daily 17%
- Decatur Daily - Online, The 23%