- D.C. public schools can be a big gamble
- Dec 3, 8:51 AM: D.C. Public Schools officials are about to kick off what’s become an annual lottery ritual for traditional public schools.
- Schools are back in person, but quarantines, health concerns have students missing more class
- Santa Fe Public Schools offers a full menu of options for students through fall open enrollment
- > Nov 29, 7:30 AM: Santa Fe Public Schools has launched a new tradition this year — fall open enrollment. Previously offered in the winter, students and families this year have been invited to select their school of choice by Jan. 31. It’s an
- LAUSD nears a choice on next superintendent
- Nov 29, 6:42 AM: Before the end of the year, Los Angeles school board members intend to announce the most consequential decision of their tenure — the hiring of a new superintendent.
- Buffalo schools to close Wednesday for staff, students to ‘disconnect and refresh’
- Nov 19, 9:02 AM: With Covid-19 cases on the rise in Western New York and parents worried about what that might mean for schools, Buffalo schools will have an extra day off next week.
- Anne Arundel schools will dismiss early Dec. 23, group to study other changes
- Nov 19, 7:14 AM: Last week, Anne Arundel Public Schools Superintendent George Arlotto proposed adding three early dismissal days to the calendar to allow teachers and students to focus on wellness, he said in a statement.
- School chief cashes out leave, becomes California’s top paid
- > Nov 16, 10:06 AM: The head of a Southern California school district is the state’s highest paid K-12 administrator for the third year in a row after taking advantage of various perks, including one that allows him to cash out sick time that
- Some Kalamazoo students to remain virtual due to lack of in-person learning space
- Nov 16, 6:15 AM: For the upcoming second semester, Kalamazoo Public Schools received more than 100 requests for students to return to in-person learning.
- Knox County Schools will not ask parents about their interest in learning cottages
- Nov 11, 9:21 AM: At least for now, Knox County Schools will not use "learning cottages" as a way to convince a federal judge to drop the mask mandate he imposed on the district.
- The Philadelphia School District is proposing a new media policy. It’s a ‘gag order,R
- Nov 9, 8:55 AM: "Are they afraid to hear the truth of what’s going on in the school — how children are experiencing education, how our money is being spent?" said Kristin Luebbert, a Philadelphia teacher.
- San Diego schools reverse course after parents balk at proposed mental health day off
- > Nov 9, 6:59 AM: After springing an announcement on parents late last week that schools would be closed Friday for a mental health day, the San Diego Unified School District abruptly changed plans, making school attendance optional that day while
- Shorter summer breaks? Washington districts study changing school calendar
- > Nov 5, 7:06 AM: According to Washington State’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, 18 school districts and one charter school are using grant funding to explore shortening the traditional summer break to allow for what’s known as a
- CPS cancels all classes Nov. 12 for ‘Vaccine Awareness Day’
- Nov 5, 5:15 AM: The district gave parents just over a week’s notice of the day off that officials hope will lead more students to get vaccinated.
- New mayor will face challenges with BPS
- Nov 4, 5:57 AM: While by many standards, including high school graduation rates and college matriculation, the schools are doing well relative to other large urban districts, deep inequities have long plagued Boston’s school system.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools Offers Tutoring For Quarantined Students
- > Nov 2, 8:06 AM: School district leaders in Hillsborough County have created a new virtual tool to help pre-K and elementary school students learn better and reduce learning loss while in quarantine. The program, which uses the Microsoft Teams
- Opinion: D.C. schools improved under mayoral control. Why do some council members want to undermine
- Nov 1, 9:27 AM: Since 2007, when the D.C. Council voted to give the mayor control over the public school system, there have been periodic attempts to claw back the historic reform.
- More than 100 virtual Kalamazoo Public School students shifting to in-person learning
- Nov 1, 8:11 AM: More than 100 Kalamazoo Public School students are switching from virtual back to in-person learning for the district’s second trimester, according to a district spokesperson.
- Superintendent applicants can’t just agree with learning goals, they must have a plan
A former principal lists key questions to ask candidates about how they plan to double literacy among third graders in five years, among other objectives.
Nov 1, 6:42 AM:
- CMS students get extra day off next week, making Halloween 4-day weekend
- Oct 27, 6:07 AM: "Our teachers need a little bit of a breather, and they don’t get a lot of breathers,” school board member Margaret Marshall said.
- Closing BPS middle schools leaves some children school-less
- Oct 27, 5:56 AM: As Boston follows through on plans to phase out middle schools, parents at three Boston elementary schools are unsure where their children will study next year.