- The Supreme Court Takes Up Religious Liberty—Again
- > Dec 3, 10:50 AM: In next week’s case, Carson v. Makin, the justices will have to decide whether this theoretical distinction between status and use will become part of the constitutional rule. The case concerns the constitutionality of the tuition
- New Report Tells Old Truth: School Choice Saves Money
- > Dec 3, 10:49 AM: School choice is having a moment right now. 2021 yielded a bumper crop of school choice legislation. The idea of parental voice and parental choice has rocketed to the forefront of the political debate, to the point of potentially
- Opinion: Freedom of religion, and the press, in the spotlight in Washington
- > Dec 3, 10:48 AM: It is probably time for the Blaine Amendments to be removed from the books. Government cannot discriminate against religion. And as long as dollars are permitted to flow to private schools from a “school choice” town, they should
- School Choice Is the Fix for Pennsylvania’s Broken Education System
- > Dec 2, 6:15 AM: Pennsylvania’s public education system is broken, according to a lawyer in the historic education-funding lawsuit currently underway in the state’s Commonwealth Court. Greater Johnstown School District is one of six districts suing
- Poll: Two-thirds of likely N.C. voters support Opportunity Scholarships
- Dec 2, 6:12 AM: A new poll from a statewide school-choice advocacy group shows that nearly two-thirds of likely general election voters in North Carolina support the Opportunity Scholarship Program.
- Petition for ‘voucher style’ school scholarship system approved by state board
- > Dec 1, 7:25 AM: The Michigan Board of State Canvassers approved two petition summaries allowing the creation of so-called “Opportunity Scholarships” that would allow donors to get tax breaks on donations toward nonpublic
- Panel OKs petitions creating student scholarships that opponents say amount to vouchers
- > Nov 30, 6:56 AM: An effort to create a controversial education scholarship program giving contributors a tax break on donations could start collecting signatures in the next week or two after winning technical approvals Mondayfrom the Board of
- Opinion: New scholarship program, push by parents point path forward for more Missouri school choice
- Nov 30, 6:18 AM: Vanquished Virginia ex-Gov. Terry McAuliffe learned the hard way what principals, PTA parents, and classroom moms have long known: When it comes to education, underestimate parents at your own peril.
- Maine’s ban on public funds for religious schools goes before US Supreme Court next week
- Nov 29, 9:25 AM: A case over public funding for religious schools in Maine is expected to reveal the current U.S. Supreme Court’s thinking on the separation of church and state.
- Guest commentary: School choice is the key to better education for kids
- Nov 24, 9:08 AM: I do believe very strongly that if we truly care about our children in America, then we need to offer each one of them a very high-quality education, whether it be in a public, private, charter or parochial school.
- Blaine Fights Back
- Nov 23, 9:59 AM: Michigan families sue, seeking the ability to use their 529 savings accounts to pay for tuition at private religious schools.
- Ducey heralded funding vouchers to avoid COVID-19 restrictions in schools. The reality is much diffe
- > Nov 23, 7:35 AM: Gov. Doug Ducey earmarked $10 million in federal funds for the vouchers and said “we’re going to bolster it up to meet the need” of so many applications. Three months later, the Governor’s Office has approved just 93 of those
- Editorial: Fiscal relief
- > Nov 23, 7:30 AM: Members of the entrenched education establishment attack school choice on a number of fronts, but a primary objection is that such programs will drain public schools of much-needed funding. But that argument holds true only if you
- New N.C. budget expands school choice
- > Nov 23, 7:28 AM: Many North Carolinians breathed a sigh of relief last week when the GOP-led legislature and Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper came to terms on a budget for the new biennium. School choice advocates were among them and have plenty to
- Democratic lawmakers push for more accountability for Florida’s school vouchers
- Nov 22, 8:59 AM: Unlike Florida’s public schools, private schools that take state scholarships can hire teachers without college degrees and can avoid publicly sharing their graduation rates and student test score data.
- Bill would expand school choice
- > Nov 22, 7:23 AM: For decades, “public education funding” has carried a simple connotation: money, raised by state and local taxpayers, going to local public schools. But Rep. Kevin Verville sees that as a flawed definition. And he’s betting that
- Study: Arizona school-choice measures saved taxpayers $1.2B
- Nov 18, 10:43 AM: Arizona’s Empowerment Scholarship Account program has saved taxpayers more than $1 billion and as much as $3.2 billion, according to a national study on school-choice programs.
- State Initiative Would Offer True School Choice For All
- > Nov 17, 10:33 AM: The California public school system is currently sinking like the Titanic. A couple of decades ago California public schools were some of the best in the country. But those days are long gone. The last two years have been a wake-up
- Kentucky AG asks state Supreme Court to review school-choice case
- > Nov 16, 6:07 AM: Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron and a nonprofit law firm that backs school-choice measures have asked the state’s Supreme Court to take up a case where a Franklin County judge ruled a new state law creating educational
- Concerns raised over fairness of Montana school tax credit program
- Nov 15, 6:44 AM: Some legislators earlier this raised concerns about the equity of a school tax credit program the state Legislature dramatically expanded earlier this year.