- State of Texas: Abbott pledge to push for school choice brings praise, concern
- > May 16, 9:48 AM: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s renewed push for school vouchers is a piece of his “parental rights” platform, which itself could be a signal of future political aspirations, according to a political science and communication
- SC Senate approves allowing public money for private schools
- Mar 31, 8:55 AM: The South Carolina Senate late Wednesday gave key approval to a bill that would allow some poorer or disabled students taxpayer money to attend a private school or a public school outside their district.
- Opportunity Scholarship defenders boost case for moving challenge to three-judge panel
- > Mar 31, 8:05 AM: The legal fight over North Carolina’s Opportunity Scholarship Program focuses now on whether a single judge or a three-judge panel should hear the case. Lawyers for the state and the scholarships’ parent supporters have filed new
- Iowa Senate passes private school scholarship bill, putting pressure on the House
- > Mar 31, 6:09 AM: The Iowa Senate has passed one of Gov. Kim Reynolds' key education priorities — a bill to give families taxpayer-funded scholarships to pay for private school expenses — in a move that puts pressure on the House to
- W.Va. Treasurer’s Office says more than 1,100 non-public school vouchers awarded in first month
There is an ongoing lawsuit against top state officials that could prevent the voucher money from ever reaching families. In that lawsuit, three parents of public school students argue that the vouchers violate the state >
Mar 30, 8:23 AM:
- Opinion: A Tony Evers’ Veto on School Choice for All Would Be Morally Wrong
- > Mar 30, 6:26 AM: While Superintendent of Public Instruction, Gov. Tony Evers wrote to legislators a decade ago that expanding the Wisconsin Parental Choice program was “morally wrong.” Evers said he reached that conclusion because the program “has
- Opinion: Kentucky ‘paralyzed’ by lack of parental school choice
- > Mar 30, 6:24 AM: Opponents of charter schools coming to Kentucky are pro-choice, after all. At least that’s how it appeared to a casual observer during a recent hourslong debate in the Kentucky House of Representatives over legislation funding
- WV awards private school vouchers, residents react
- Mar 29, 8:29 AM: More than 1,250 scholarships have been awarded to students across the Mountain State since March 1st to help them be able to attend private schools in the state.
- Most education freedom account recipients not leaving public schools, department says
- > Mar 29, 6:14 AM: New Hampshire’s Education Freedom Account program continues to see a higher than expected take-up rate since it launched in September. But the proportion of students using it to leave their public schools continues to be relatively
- Oklahoma’s massive school voucher bill is dead, but the ideas behind it are unlikely to go away
- Mar 28, 7:54 AM: In a dramatic turn Wednesday, a coalition of mostly rural Republicans and urban Democrats voted down one of the most headline-grabbing bills of the year in Senate Bill 1647.
- Louisiana legislature considers bills to expand educational options for public school parents
- Mar 28, 6:18 AM: Louisiana lawmakers filed several bills for the 2022 legislative session that would give families more freedom in choosing a fitting educational plan for their children.
- Opinion: Why can’t my tax dollars help my kid?
- > Mar 28, 6:01 AM: Until last year, several school districts in Iowa would prevent certain families living in the district from transferring their kids into a different school district. When a law was passed to prohibit that practice, hundreds of
- Opinion: When it comes to school choice, Ohio has Michigan beat
- > Mar 28, 5:53 AM: I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. I recognize that’s not a very popular thing to say in Michigan. But beyond the advantages of being a hardcore Buckeye fan, perhaps nothing about being born in Columbus has done more for me than has my
- Opinion: All California Families Deserve School Choice for Their Children
- Mar 28, 5:25 AM: I’ve heard firsthand how parents think schools should be run to better help their children. But schools aren’t listening.
- Court to Hear Challenge to Michigan’s Discriminatory ‘Blaine Amendment’ Today
- > Mar 25, 8:43 AM: The United States Federal District Court will hear oral arguments today in a challenge to Michigan’s Blaine amendment, brought by five families across the state and the PACE Foundation, a nonprofit membership organization of
- Voucher plan shot down in narrow vote
- Mar 25, 7:29 AM: The Oklahoma Senate finally brought a bill creating school vouchers to a vote and, after four hours of debate late Wednesday, defeated the measure, 22 to 24.
- S.C. Senate debates private school choice
- Mar 25, 7:19 AM: The South Carolina Senate’s debate on a bill that would give some poorer or disabled students money so they could pick a private school or public school outside their district will continue into next week.
- School choice efforts gain movement in the South Carolina Senate
- Mar 24, 7:51 AM: On Wednesday March 23, the Senate Education Committee passed the "open enrollment" bill, which could allow students to change schools within or outside their district.
- WV Treasurer’s Office says more than 1,100 non-public school vouchers awarded in 1st month of applic
- Mar 24, 7:31 AM: The West Virginia State Treasurer's Office says it has approved nonpublic school vouchers for more than 1,100 students since applications opened March for the new program.
- Senate moves to restrict use of public money on religious schools
- > Mar 24, 6:59 AM: The Vermont Senate voted Wednesday to advance legislation that would set limits on public money going to private and religious schools. A final vote on the bill, S.219, is expected later this week, after which the measure would