- Fixing the L.A Public School System: A Top Priority for Voters in November Mayoral Race, Poll Finds
- Mar 29, 9:59 AM: More than half of Los Angeles voters believe the quality of education in the Los Angeles Unified School District is worse than it was before the pandemic, according to a new poll.
- Texas governor race: Beto O’Rourke makes push for education reform at town hall in El Paso
- Mar 29, 6:21 AM: Texas gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke discussed his vision for education reform Sunday at a town hall meeting at the El Paso Community Foundation as part of his ongoing “People of Texas” state tour.
- Opinion: Why Are We Letting Republicans Win the School Wars?
- > Mar 21, 9:39 AM: The warning signs are everywhere. For 30 years, polls showed that Americans trusted Democrats over Republicans to invest in public education and strengthen schools. Within the past year, however, Republicans have closed the gap; a
- L.A. school board election field is set, includes pivotal race to replace Monica Garcia
- > Mar 17, 8:37 AM: For more than 15 years, Monica Garcia has been a force on the Los Angeles Board of Education. But term limits have opened up her seat this year to four hopefuls, who plan either to build on her legacy or to push the district in a
- Why School Choice is Roiling the GOP
- Mar 8, 10:59 AM: Voters aggrieved by pandemic restrictions and a host of culture war issues are embracing school choice as a means to address their indignation. But that’s sparking a fight within the GOP.
- Beto O’Rourke pledges to increase school funding, fight vouchers during Dallas campaign stop
- Mar 8, 9:38 AM: O’Rourke pledged support for teacher pay increases and more money for public schools while pushing back on the renewal of voucher efforts in the state as he gave a sweeping overview of his policy ambitions.
- San Francisco Schools the Left
- > Feb 18, 9:37 AM: This was a vote against progressive education officials in the heart of liberal San Francisco. It is a signal moment because of its head-chopping definitiveness, its clarity, its swiftness and its unignorable statement by parents
- Review & Outlook: San Francisco’s Political Foreshock
- > Feb 17, 10:14 AM: If it can happen in San Francisco, of all places, Democrats should be worried. They need to escape their union bondage and woke fixations. Republicans have a great opportunity to press parental choice on curriculum, charters and
- San Francisco is usually seen as a lefty outlier. The school board recalls may make it a bellwether
- > Feb 17, 10:13 AM: San Francisco is so famous for its liberalism that the city has become shorthand for eccentric political sensibilities far to the left of most Americans. But after Tuesday’s trio of school board recalls, Democrats and Republicans
- San Francisco ousters
- > Feb 17, 10:11 AM: But the recall election this week that ousted three board members wasn’t about only local politics. It also reflected a trend: Many Americans, even in liberal places, seem frustrated by what they consider a leftward lurch from
- CNN Poll: Economy and education will shape how Americans vote in 2022
- > Feb 11, 10:36 AM: Voters begin the midterm year primarily focused on economic issues, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS in January and February. The survey also showed that Democrats are suffering an early deficit in enthusiasm about
- There were two school choice ballot initiatives seeking signatures here in California, but now there
- Feb 1, 7:30 AM: There were two school choice ballot initiatives seeking signatures here in California, but now there is only one.
- Opinion: Oregon needs an elected state school chief and a panel to empower parents
- > Feb 1, 7:09 AM: There's no question these past two years have been hard on our kids. The state left them behind. Now it's time to turn the page. We can do that by keeping our classrooms open, giving them a say in where and how they attend school,
- Kevin Nicholson, likely GOP candidate for governor, wants to close ‘failing’ schools
- Jan 21, 6:49 AM: Low-performing schools in Wisconsin would be forced to close under a plan to overhaul K-12 education put forward by Kevin Nicholson, a Republican who is expected to announce this week he is running for governor.
- Editorial: Make 2022 the year of education reform
- > Dec 28, 8:19 AM: As children return to school after the holiday, parents, the media, and business leaders should keep a closer eye on classroom performance and outcomes. They should make 2022 the year of public education reform — the turning point
- James Craig says underperforming schools should lose funding, Michigan can’t accept ‘sta
- Dec 14, 9:10 AM: Republican gubernatorial hopeful James Craig said underperforming schools should be held accountable by losing state funds if they don’t demonstrate improvement in standardized test results.
- Maryland gubernatorial candidate John King wades into education controversy with new ad campaign
- Dec 6, 9:15 AM: Democratic gubernatorial candidate John King is wading into the hot-button issue of teaching the history of racism in schools with a new video ad campaign.
- School choice advocate announces run for SC superintendent of education
- Nov 22, 7:13 AM: Ellen Weaver, president and CEO of the Palmetto Promise Institute and chairman of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, announced her candidacy Sunday in an editorial published in The State newspaper.
- In Virginia, frustration with schooling during the pandemic played a part in Youngkin’s win.
While some parents supported the cautious approach — driven by teachers’ unions, school boards and some administrators — others became frustrated and angry, especially in suburban counties like Fairfax and Arlington. >
Nov 15, 10:31 AM:
- Former Senate Leader Gloria Romero Joins Fix California Initiative for School Choice Funding
- > Nov 15, 6:03 AM: Ric Grenell, founder of Fix California, who served as Ambassador to Germany and Acting Director of National Intelligence, announced Friday that former California State Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero has endorsed Fix