- Eric Adams makes picks with charter ties for schools governance panel
- > Mar 23, 5:19 AM: Mayor Eric Adams appointed a top charter school administrator and a slew of close allies to the Department of Education’s oversight board Tuesday to a mixed response. While proponents of school choice welcomed several of the new
- Opinion: The abysmal state of state education
- > Mar 21, 7:57 AM: Newsom got one thing right about his role in public education: in delivering for the unions, he has indeed been “transformational” — in severely limiting parent choice. But by putting California’s powerful teachers unions ahead of
- Opinion: Reforming education, empowering parents
- > Mar 17, 5:47 AM: Since being elected to the State Legislature, one of my main focuses has been to improve our education system by empowering parents to make the best choices for their children. The last two years have put this issue front and
- Cepicky: The future of Tennessee’s education system is up to the General Assembly
- > Mar 15, 9:17 AM: During the meeting, some parents questioned Cepicky about bringing more charter schools to Tennessee as a way to increase achievement. However, Cepicky said fixing achievement in public K-12 education needs to be the state's first
- Dems says too many private, homeschool parents on Truitt’s advisory board
- > Mar 9, 9:37 AM: Democratic members of the N.C. State Board of Education have their sights set on Republican Superintendent of Public Instruction Catherine Truitt, saying Truitt was putting too many parents from schools of choice on a new advisory
- Conservatives rally to break the left’s grip on public schools
- > Feb 28, 10:13 AM: Education sprung to the top of the agenda at the nation’s most influential gathering of conservatives. The right suddenly has a new, broad appeal and political momentum after a wave of parent protests across America against the
- Democratic lawmaker appears to deride parents’ say in public education
- > Feb 11, 10:31 AM: Democratic state lawmaker whose Twitter critique of school choice programs suggested parents of regular public school students don’t play a role in shaping their children’s education took down the tweet Thursday after receiving
- Opinion | Youngkin fuels a culture war and puts schools at risk
- > Jan 25, 9:02 AM: The governor’s contempt for the law is matched by his disdain for Virginia’s constitution, which specifies that “the supervision of schools in each school division shall be vested in a school board.” According to a tally by The
- Editorial: Youngkin’s choice for education secretary might be a sign of good things to come
- > Jan 24, 7:05 AM: Education was a pillar of Glenn Youngkin’s successful campaign for governor of Virginia, so it made sense that the first person he named to his Cabinet was the secretary of education. His choice is someone who has been a leader in
- NC Gov. Cooper recognizes School Choice Week for first time
- Jan 24, 7:01 AM: School Choice Week has an unexpected new supporter in North Carolina — Gov. Roy Cooper.
- Gov. Abbott promises parental ‘Bill of Rights’ in Texas education
- Jan 21, 7:06 AM: Gov. Greg Abbott released a parents’ “Bill of Rights” on Thursday, mirroring a national conservative push fueled by fractious debates over how race and sexuality are addressed in schools.
- Education: The Issue that Could Break Partisan Gridlock
- Jan 7, 9:28 AM: Divisive and complex issues such as the pandemic response and critical race theory have a lot to do with the attention now focused on education, but there is also common ground sitting just below the surface
- State lawmakers to take aim at racial history in public schools, partisan school boards
- > Dec 29, 8:16 AM: Teachers and administrators from across the state agree critical race theory is not discussed in Georgia grade school classrooms, but it likely will be a hot topic under the Gold Dome in January as lawmakers return for an
- Opinion: His team’s trying to hide it, but de Blasio’s bungling has parents fleeing NYC
- > Nov 11, 9:25 AM: Mayor-elect Eric Adams won on a common-sense platform of making critical city services more efficient. Nowhere is the need clearer than in Gotham’s school system, which under outgoing Mayor Bill de Blasio has drifted aimlessly,
- Governor Ducey Invests $1.25 Million To Support Mentorship, Family Programs
- Nov 10, 9:51 AM: Governor Doug Ducey announced an investment of $1.25 million to support mentorship programs for at-risk youth and training programs for parents of underrepresented families.
- Providence school leaders grilled over teacher shortages and poor student performance
- Nov 5, 7:37 AM: The Senate Oversight Committee grilled Providence school leaders about everything from teacher vacancies to student progress during a hearing Thursday on the state takeover of the school district.
- Biden boasts he’s used word ‘union’ more than past 7 presidents ‘combined’
- Oct 26, 8:35 AM: President Biden boasted that he’s used the word "union" more than the past seven U.S. presidents "combined" during a speech in New Jersey on Monday.
- Lawmakers hear about pandemic-caused learning loss, air old gripes about education system
- Oct 14, 7:47 AM: The COVID-19 pandemic has and continues to hinder student learning, education leaders and policy experts agreed Tuesday while offering differing views on the extent of the setbacks.
- Column: De Blasio’s final ‘gift’ to New York City is ruining its schools
- > Oct 11, 11:11 AM: New York has endured nearly eight years under its worst mayor ever, but Bill de Blasio aims to do even more damage on his way out the door. His plan to end all Gifted and Talented programs in the public schools represents another
- DC mayor, council clash over proposed COVID-19 school bill
- > Oct 5, 9:45 AM: Days after the D.C. Council announced plans to introduce emergency legislation aimed at expanding virtual learning and loosening attendance policies, Mayor Muriel Bowser doubled down on her stance that the city’s current approach