- LePage unveils education reforms and a ‘Parents’ Bill of Rights’
LePage, a Republican who is seeking a third nonconsecutive term as governor, is also calling for “true school choice” so public education funds follow students to “a public school, private school, charter school, or parochial >
Sep 20, 9:38 AM:
- School book bans surged this year, per PEN America report
According to a report from PEN America released Monday, a book ban was enacted in an American school district every 3½ hours between July 2021 and July 2022.
Sep 19, 10:10 AM:
- NY private schools must show they’re teaching the basics
Private and religious schools in New York face greater scrutiny after state education leaders approved rules Tuesday requiring them to prove their academic programs line up with those of public schools.
Sep 15, 6:52 AM:
- Classical education charter schools on the rise in Florida
Seven Hillsdale charter schools are opened, with more on the way
Aug 12, 10:00 AM:
- How kindergarten camps are helping Pittsburgh area students who missed preschool during the pandemic
The start of the new school year is weeks away, but at Duquesne Elementary School a group of students was already in a kindergarten classroom in late July learning how to take turns, raise their hands and line up in an orderly >
Aug 9, 8:41 AM:
- LEARN charter network starts the school year ahead of Chicago schools
The North Lawndale school is one of seven in the LEARN Charter School Network, which usually starts classes in early August and a few weeks ahead of Chicago Public Schools, which this year, starts on Aug. 22. LEARN serves >
Aug 9, 8:38 AM:
- Can Tech Boost Reading? Literacy Tools Come to Classrooms
Some educators are beginning to test technology that could help them offer individualized learning tracks
Aug 8, 11:04 AM:
- Students from Brass City Charter School shadows health care professionals at St. Mary’s
A group of students are seeing the operations at St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury.
The students were shadowing all kinds of health care workers and are seeing demonstrations first-hand.
Jul 27, 8:07 AM:
- Exclusive: Lawmakers to address school choice and transparency laws at upcoming meeting
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) will hold its annual meeting this week, where lawmakers and policy leaders will address education bills focused on parental rights and school choice.
Jul 26, 8:56 AM:
- Why Putting the ‘Science of Reading’ Into Practice Is So Challenging
North Carolina is one of more than two dozen states that have embarked on an attempt to radically transform reading instruction over the past few years. The goal is to bring instruction in line with the decades of research on how >
Jul 21, 8:03 AM:
- Research highlights positive impacts of math-focused summer learning
Summer math learning programs can be effective in mitigating learning losses disproportionately experienced by low-income pre-K-12 students during the pandemic, according to research published Wednesday by the American >
Jul 21, 8:01 AM:
- Google’s Adaptive Learning Technologies Help Amplify Educators’ InstructionGoogle’
For students, adaptive learning tech can deepen comprehension of instructional concepts and help them achieve their personal potential by providing real-time feedback and support through hints and video prompts.
Jul 21, 7:54 AM:
- School board reviews district progress survey
- > Jul 19, 8:08 AM: One of the most important indicators of the district’s progress is this survey, an annual questionnaire that measures student, parent and employee satisfaction towards the educational environment at the city’s schools.
- Want to save our democracy? Talk — and listen — to someone you don’t agree with.
- > Jul 14, 9:58 AM: Schools are the only institutions charged with making citizens, which is why we require everyone to attend them. But our schools have failed to teach us how to conduct civil, reasoned dialogue. Turn on cable TV — or listen, if you
- Opinion | Teach American Liberty in the Schools
- > Jul 13, 7:52 AM: Thomas Jefferson believed that we should have a public-school system to make sure that the citizenry understood the history, philosophy and structure of our nation. He believed that American liberty had to be taught. Our doctrine,
- A Big Gap in K-12 Leadership Prep: Teaching School Finance Skills
- > Jul 13, 7:49 AM: With billions of dollars in federal pandemic aid swirling around school districts—not to mention their own multimillion- or billion-dollar local budgets—many school-level and district leaders are not prepared to do the heavy
- CA budget allots funds to teach kids financial literacy in K-12 schools
- > Jul 13, 7:03 AM: The funds will go to the California Department of Education to develop curriculum for financial literacy courses for K-12 schools. It is part of $3.5 billion granted to the Department of Education to develop curriculum on a number
- Supporters petition to keep Innovation Academy
- Jun 22, 7:38 AM: The petition seeks to reverse a budget- driven decision by the board to end the program, which would have entered its 10th year this August.
- Epic Charter Schools creating dual-language immersion academy
An Epic Charter Schools site is on the cusp of becoming Oklahoma City’s new dual-language immersion school, promising an academic career in English and Spanish from early childhood to high school.
Jun 21, 9:17 AM:
- Public education, democracy, and the future of America
- Jun 9, 7:51 AM: Do today’s Americans agree on the importance of common schoolhouses? Do they hold anymore that public education is fundamental to U.S. democracy?