- Missouri charter and public school leaders are both happy with legislature’s funding compromise
- May 16, 10:04 AM: An original version of the bill would have taken funding from Kansas City and St. Louis Public Schools, but lawmakers found a compromise that education leaders are happy with.
- School Advocates Rally at White House Against Biden’s ‘Attack’ on Charter Schools
Charter school advocates protested what they see as an increasingly hostile effort by Democrats – and the Biden administration, in particular – to prevent the sector from expanding.
May 16, 9:17 AM:
- House panel acts in a last-ditch effort to stop changes to Pa.’s charter school law
- Mar 31, 8:51 AM: A House GOP-controlled panel once again voiced its disapproval of charter school law changes in a long-shot effort to stop rules from taking effect that were favored by Gov. Tom Wolf’s administration.
- New York City charter schools continue to emerge as a inclusive new opportunity for diverse
- Mar 31, 8:48 AM: With 272 charter schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City, many parents are wondering what exactly makes a charter school different from a more traditional public school.
- Oakland Unified to lease additional space to area charter schools
- > Mar 31, 8:46 AM: The new charter school agreements come just one month after Oakland announced the closure of seven public schools in the next year. Critics say accommodating new charter students could strain schools already planning to welcome
- Biden rule could force charter schools to close, former education official warns
- Mar 30, 9:41 AM: A former Department of Education official said a proposed regulation restricting federal funding for public charter schools could force a number of schools to close their doors.
- Charters vs magnets: West Louisville kids at the center of dueling ‘school choice’ ideas
- Mar 30, 9:32 AM: JCPS’ failings to equitably provide choice to west Louisville students is further driving a state push for charter schools.<
- Union says Urban Pathways charter school teachers being cut over organization efforts
- Mar 30, 9:03 AM: Nearly three dozen teachers at Urban Pathways K-5 charter school in Downtown Pittsburgh have filed to unionize with the American Federation of Teachers labor union.
- Austin ISD seeks partnership with charter operator to turn around Mendez Middle School
- Mar 30, 8:18 AM: District leaders have used a state law that gives districts a pause from state penalties if they partner with a charter school or another entity to turn around.
- Kentucky’s charter school bill gets final passage: Here’s what happens next
- Mar 30, 8:14 AM: A controversial bill allowing charter schools in Kentucky got a final passage in Kentucky on Tuesday. House Bill 9 passed in the Senate 22 to 14.
- New America School teachers want to form Colorado’s first charter union
- Mar 30, 7:59 AM: Teachers at the New America School charter network are attempting to form Colorado’s first charter school union.
- Opinion: A $10 million initiative with HBCUs will spur charter schools
- > Mar 29, 10:03 AM: It is time to face that hard truth, beginning with acknowledging — and acting on — what the data makes plain. Overall, Black children in urban areas are achieving significantly better results in public charter schools than in
- Charter School funding bill heads to state Senate
- > Mar 29, 6:08 AM: Monday the Senate Education Committee passed House Bill 9. This new measure would set up public funding for Charter Schools in the state using ‘SEEK’ dollars, which is the main source of funding for Kentucky’s school
- Review & Outlook: A Case of Charter School Sabotage
- Mar 28, 9:07 AM: The Biden Administration is deep in the tank for the teachers unions, and it is proving it again by imposing new rules to sabotage a modest $440 million grant program for charter schools.
- The Biden Administration Declares War on Charter Schools
- > Mar 28, 9:06 AM: On March 11, a Friday when media attention was focused on Ukraine and the Senate’s Thursday-night passage of the $1.5 trillion bill to fund federal-government agencies for the rest of the fiscal year, the Biden administration’s
- Harvard study can teach NY officials the secrets of Success Academy’s … success
- Mar 28, 8:41 AM: A new Harvard Business School case study of the Success Academy charter network offers valuable insight into why its schools are so, well . . . successful. New York officials should read every last word.
- Editorial: How a vague, overly broad state law can hurt South Bend schools
- Mar 28, 8:30 AM: The efforts by a charter school to stop the planned move of the South Bend school district into different office space — taking advantage of a controversial law — could set a precedent in Indiana.
- Judge blocks Ohio from withholding $11 million from Columbus City Schools
- Mar 28, 8:28 AM: Columbus City Schools won't have to pay an $11 million fine for failing to bus private school children.
- South Bend charter school may block relocation of district offices under state unused buildings law
- Mar 28, 8:22 AM: In January, the South Bend Community School Corporation announced it wanted to sell its downtown headquarters to the city of South Bend and move into the Brown Community Learning Center on the city’s northwest side.
- With $1B in aid, Newark adopts $1.2B school budget that raises spending and cuts tax bills
- > Mar 28, 8:14 AM: The Newark Board of Education on Friday night approved a $1.2 billion budget for the 2022-23 school year that officials said would raise spending by $146 million — mainly on additional teachers and technology, building upgrades,