- What to know about Iowa charter schools as two prepare to open this fall
- Mar 28, 6:09 AM: Two new public charter schools are set to open this fall following the Iowa Board of Education giving conditional approval Thursday.
- Minneapolis teachers, district reach deal to end strike
- Mar 25, 8:34 AM: Minneapolis Public Schools posted on its website early Friday that a tentative agreement has been made with union teachers and education specialists.
- Commentary: Cleveland charter school uses public dollars to fight union drive
- > Mar 25, 8:29 AM: Teachers at Menlo Park Academy come to work every day to shape the minds and inspire the dreams of young Clevelanders. They are in the middle of a union drive at the privately operated, publicly funded charter school, which serves
- Charter school's partnership sends teachers back to college
- > Mar 25, 8:23 AM: Special education teacher Lisa Hoyles-Taylor and pre-K teacher Tabatha Griffith had dreamed of earning their master’s degrees, but neither could take the time away from their work at a local charter school or their
- Micro Schools providing parents with alternative option for kids education
- > Mar 25, 8:20 AM: Most of us use our kitchens to cook, or maybe enjoy a meal, but others, like Stefanie Miller, are using theirs, as a classroom. They’re called Micro-Schools, a form of homeschooling with groups of up to ten kids. It’s being ran by a
- New public charter school coming to Hamilton County
- Mar 25, 8:13 AM: Hillsdale College of Michigan has agreed to partner with Valor Classical Academy to establish a tuition-free public charter school in Hamilton County.
- Philly’s $3.9 billion school budget approved to immediate backlash
- Mar 25, 8:11 AM: Steep enrollment drops and a re-allocation of resources are driving smaller budgets at some schools; school leaders say the cuts would be disastrous.
- Public school parent: Choice and specialty schools should be inclusive, not exclusive
- Mar 25, 8:07 AM: Savannah-Chatham school district has placed too many barriers to access for choice programs and specialty schools for students with academic and behavioral challenges.
- Chicago Teachers Union sues Lightfoot ally, accuses her of interfering in union's elections
- Mar 25, 7:55 AM: The Chicago Teachers Union has filed a lawsuit against a former top advisor to Mayor Lori Lightfoot over her role in a social media campaign supporting challengers to the current union's leadership team.
- Editorial: About those 5 lost school days in CPS...
- > Mar 25, 7:46 AM: It’s a sore spot with educators that they lost pay, but it’s their union that chose a walkout — really, an illegal strike. What’s worse, though, is that children lost days of teaching that they won’t fully get
- Goodwill of Southeast Georgia proposes alternative charter high school in Savannah
- Mar 25, 7:38 AM: The Excel Center will be a tuition-free alternative charter high school that will serve 300 adults between the ages of 21 and 34. The school will not be affiliated with the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS).
- Parents bring children to work since strike sparks Sacramento school closures
- Mar 25, 7:26 AM: Parents bring children to work since strike sparks Sacramento school closures.
- Chicago Public Schools is flush with federal COVID-19 relief cash but is spending little of it
- Mar 24, 8:14 AM: A WBEZ analysis shows that 69% of the $536 million in federal COVID relief money CPS budgeted this year is unspent.
- New Castle County charter school moratorium bill passes House Education Committee
- Mar 24, 8:07 AM: A bill that would create a moratorium on new or modified charter schools in New Castle County passed a contentious House Education Committee meeting Wednesday.
- Despite a return to in-person learning CMS 3rd-graders falling behind
- Mar 24, 8:01 AM: Preliminary reports show Black and Hispanic 3rd graders at CMS have the lowest amount of students on track in English Language Arts.
- Croydon residents file petition in favor of original $1.7 million school budget
- > Mar 24, 7:56 AM: The board also said it plans to consider the use of “learning pods”, sometimes referred to as “micro schools”, a contracted program which provides individualized instruction to learning groups of approximately five to 10
- Limits on Denver innovation schools' autonomy up for a vote Thursday
- Mar 24, 7:21 AM: Innovation schools can opt out of some district policies, including parts of the collective bargaining agreement between DPS and the teachers' union.
- 'I feel sad' | The consequences of school closures
- > Mar 24, 7:17 AM: Sacramento City Unified School District closed all schools on Wednesday due to a districtwide teacher's strike. The school district serves more than 40,000 students on 75 campuses. When schools close, everyone is impacted. The
- Families juggle having children at home during teachers strike. Organizations step in to help
- > Mar 24, 7:13 AM: "We are pulling together a family resource center staff and whether we can offer a couple of hours of homework assistance or just a safe place where kids can come and recreate for a few hours," said Rachel Rios, the executive
- Jalen Rose, His Detroit Charter School Profiled on HBO’s ‘Real Sports’
- Mar 23, 6:37 AM: "It’s going to be young people that are achieving their goals and aspiring to do great things and there are going to be adults that are helping that happen. And I have total faith in this city."