- Rapid growth sparks classroom demand for some Florida schools
- Jun 8, 10:07 AM: Some Florida school districts shrank during the pandemic, as some students found other options they preferred and some just stayed away.
- Student absences shot up this school year, prompting fears of further learning losses
- Jun 6, 8:58 AM: By March, 31% of Lake County, FL students had missed 10% or more of the school year, a level of absenteeism that experts say puts children at risk academically.
- The reading gap between Black and white students in Florida is 29 points. It’s wider in some local districts
- > Mar 29, 9:23 AM: The data from the 2020-21 school year shows a gap of 29 percentage points between the reading levels of white and Black students across the state. And in Duval, St. Johns and Alachua county school districts, the gap is even
- Charter schools must share in referendum funding, court rules
- Mar 23, 6:18 AM: Florida’s 3rd District Court of Appeals ruled last week that Miami-Dade County charter schools are indeed eligible for funding approved through a 2018 voter-approved public school system referendum.
- Opinion: Miami Tech Charter School Answers Need for Talent
- Mar 22, 8:19 AM: An editorial co-written by the mayor of Miami and a former governor of Florida praises work by the city and Miami Dade College to launch a tech-focused charter school amid the burgeoning tech industry there.
- Tampa native launches state's first-ever virtual reality charter school
- > Mar 17, 9:04 AM: Donalds is the founder and CEO of Optima Foundation, a Naples-based charter school organization. Donalds, a Tampa native, is combining her history of charter school administration with new virtual technology to create the state's
- Gov. DeSantis promises more money to schools to help close COVID achievement gaps
- Mar 17, 8:43 AM: The money will support a number of initiatives that are meant to help close learning gaps caused by two years of the COVID pandemic.
- Finding good in the bad: Escambia schools use federal-COVID funding to pilot new programs
- Mar 15, 9:39 AM: The pandemic played havoc on public school districts across the country, and the Escambia County School District did not escape the tumult.
- Lawmakers deliver a Gov. DeSantis priority — eliminating standardized testing
- Mar 15, 8:58 AM: Legislative leaders have sent Gov. Ron DeSantis a bill replacing the Florida Standards Assessment with progress monitoring, a priority of the Republican Governor as he seeks re-election.
- Corcoran to Leave Education Commissioner Post, Manny Diaz Frontrunner to Replace Him
- > Mar 11, 6:40 AM: State Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran, who has been an ally of Gov. Ron DeSantis on controversial issues such as student mask requirements and critical race theory, will step down from the post at the end of April, he
- Palm Beach County school leaders making progress in finding missing students
- Mar 8, 9:46 AM: For more than a year, leaders in the School District of Palm Beach County have spent countless hours trying to track down thousands of missing students.
- Opinion: It may be time to ask charter schools to take over where school district can't succeed
Many residents are frustrated with the lack of progress and the boards inability to improve our education results. Our board, like some others in the state, blame the Legislature and the state education department for the lack of >
Feb 25, 9:47 AM:
- Hillsborough renews 5 more charter schools
- Feb 23, 9:15 AM: Combined with four other charters approved earlier this month, they will consume nearly $50 million in state dollars.
- Parents who started homeschooling during the pandemic don't want to send their kids back
- Feb 23, 9:11 AM: The number of homeschoolers in Florida has spiked in a dramatic way since the start of the pandemic.
- Want your son or daughter to be prepared for a tech job? Tech-focused high school coming to Miami
- Feb 16, 9:04 AM: A free, tech-oriented charter high school is coming to Miami that will allow students to complete their high school diploma while earning an associate’s degree from Miami Dade College.
- Santa Fe College creates new charter school
- > Feb 15, 9:13 AM: With a $2 million grant from the State of Florida, the school will offer high school students training in information technology and health sciences, according to a press release. The college received the grant Feb. 2 as part of
- School choice helped prepare me to become a congressman | Column
- > Feb 11, 10:35 AM: ";One-size-fits all” enthusiasts tell Americans that the idea of school choice hurts minorities, steals funds from public schools and hinders academic success — I’m living proof that their claims are wrong. My mother understood the
- Black heroes from history come alive at Boulware Springs Charter School 'wax museum'
- Feb 11, 10:04 AM: Children of Boulware Springs Charter School buzzed with excitement as they lined up outside a basketball court that had been transformed into a "wax museum" for Black History Month.
- Hillsborough denied a charter school, and the state agreed — a rarity
- Feb 10, 10:18 AM: A small school focused on struggling students did not pass muster with the school district or the State Board of Education.
- Editorial: New charter school should build upon, not duplicate, local workforce training programs
- Feb 10, 10:07 AM: A new charter school at Santa Fe College should be used to fill in gaps in local workforce training programs, building upon existing efforts to help students gain credentials in high-demand fields.