- Opinion: Parents of minority students must step up to close achievement gap
- > Nov 7, 8:10 AM: Dear Editor: In your article on the achievement gap in the Madison public schools, professor Jeffrey Henriques and psychologist Laurie Frost's criticism of Madison teachers for not providing minority students with "the
- Tony Evers denies Scott Walker a third term as Wisconsin's governor
- > Nov 7, 7:52 AM: After upending Wisconsin politics and infuriating liberals across the country, Gov. Scott Walker narrowly lost his bid for a third term Tuesday to Tony Evers, the leader of the education establishment Walker blew up eight
- Online schools and student mobility: When kids churn, scores drop.
- > Nov 6, 7:39 AM: Between 2016 and 2017, more than 2,500 students in Wisconsin’s virtual charter schools withdrew, got kicked out or dropped out— roughly 40 percent of the total enrollment, a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel analysis found.
- Urban League, United Way detail plans for Milwaukee's troubled North Division High School
- > Nov 6, 5:46 AM: Milwaukee's troubled North Division High School is expected to see a renewed emphasis on college and career readiness, employment services for students and other services as part of an expanded collaboration between
- Tony Evers would seek to phase out school vouchers, but plan unlikely to pass
- Nov 2, 7:19 AM: Democratic candidate for governor Tony Evers said he would seek to eliminate the taxpayer-funded vouchers that nearly 30,000 Milwaukee children used this school year to attend private schools.
- Enrollment in Wisconsin's voucher school programs surge
- > Oct 31, 4:42 AM: Wisconsin taxpayers will spend $302 million this year on vouchers to send children to private schools, up $33 million over last year, most of that increase driven by a surge in enrollment among students living outside
- Gov. Walker's Education Legacy & What An Evers Win Might Mean For Wisconsin's Schools
- > Oct 30, 7:21 AM: Education is at the forefront of Wisconsin’s close race for governor. Incumbent Republican Gov. Scott Walker has been calling himself ‘the education governor,’ while his Democratic challenger Tony Evers is the elected
- Green Bay schools: Academics suffer when students switch schools mid year
- > Oct 30, 5:54 AM: Such high turnover, the annual shuffling of children in and out of schools, is common at Green Bay schools that serve the city's highest-poverty populations — families that often lack stable housing and tend to be more
- Across Wisconsin, 'emergency license' teachers are running classrooms
- > Oct 24, 6:26 AM: Franke isn't like other teachers across the country in one way: She doesn’t have a teaching license — at least not fully. She is one of 2,432 teachers across Wisconsin who hold what’s colloquially called an “emergency
- Your Views: Vukmir fought to free teachers from union grasp
- > Oct 23, 6:34 AM: As an independent voter and a retired public high school teacher who has worked in public education for 33 years, I strongly encourage support for Leah Vukmir for U.S. Senate. When the Legislature and governor fought to
- Racine Unified enrollment continues to decline
- > Oct 18, 5:29 AM: Tapp admitted that other school choices, such as voucher and private schools, could play a part in declining enrollment, but added that open enrollment out of the district has leveled off within the past few years.
- A Wisconsin city tackled school turnover like a health crisis. Things didn't go as planned.
- > Oct 17, 7:22 AM: Research shows chronic school-switching is linked with lower test scores, more behavioral problems and an increased risk of dropping out. One study showed that classrooms with high churn trailed more stable classrooms by a
- A study in contrasts: Tammy Baldwin and Leah Vukmir battle for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin
- > Oct 16, 4:58 AM: They are a study in contrasts, with different backgrounds, political stances and campaign styles. And yet, Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin and Republican Leah Vukmir are now joined in history, the first time two women
- Private, charter schools at heart of gubernatorial candidate differences
- > Oct 15, 4:25 AM: Although the two major-party candidates in this year’s historically expensive campaign for governor have both pledged to be the “education governor,” Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democratic challenger J.B. Pritzker are
- Review & Outlook: Scott Walker’s Education Dividend
- > Oct 12, 7:25 AM: Mr. Walker’s reforms have saved the state billions of dollars and reduced property taxes. If Democrats take control of the statehouse in November, they’ll attempt to reverse this progress and give unions the run of Madison
- Rural schools exceed state average on Forward Exam
- Oct 4, 5:41 AM: A majority of western Kenosha County school districts posted scores better than the state average on the Wisconsin Forward Exam, but results also show a decrease in language arts scores.
- Fewer than half of Wisconsin students are proficient in math and reading, new test scores show
- Oct 2, 4:40 AM: Fewer than half of Wisconsin students are scoring high enough on state tests to be considered proficient in math and reading — again.
- Funding for K-12 education a major fault line in governor's race
- > Oct 1, 4:52 AM: Both Republican Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic challenger Tony Evers, the state superintendent of public instruction, have staked a claim as a champion of K-12 education. Yet there is perhaps no issue that presents a
- School concerns spur passions in Wisconsin governor’s race
- > Sep 26, 4:39 AM: In Wisconsin's race for governor, 40 percent of voters say education is their first or second most important concern. The Republican incumbent, Gov. Scott Walker, is squaring off against the state’s longtime superintendent
- Opinion: More Regulation of School Choice a Mistake
- > Sep 25, 6:55 AM: Calls for more regulation of Wisconsin’s school choice programs have been getting louder. Making the claims that performance isn’t consistent enough, generally on standardized tests, they argue that government—or some
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%
- fdlreporter.com 17%