- Opinion: Destroying Public Education With Vouchers and Charters in Wisconsin
- > Aug 3, 5:00 AM: In the Zelman v. Simmons-Harris case, the Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision that vouchers to religious school did not violate the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. This decision re-wrote more than a century
- Hoping for more investment in public education, grassroots advocates push to #VotePublic
- Aug 3, 4:50 AM: When 250 proponents of public education from across Wisconsin gathered in the Appleton North High School auditorium Wednesday, they painted a picture of the Wisconsin they hoped to one day live in.
- Editorial: Online schools offer pros and cons
- > Aug 2, 6:17 AM: The Ripon Area School District in June learned that the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has awarded it a $900,000, five-year virtual charter school planning grant.This is a potential boon for the Ripon Area
- Tony Evers to seek unprecedented $600 million more in special education funding
- > Jul 31, 5:47 AM: Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Evers will seek an unprecedented increase in school funding for students with disabilities in the 2019-'21 state budget, the latest in a series of announcements by Gov. Scott
- With Declining Enrollment, Milwaukee Public Schools Leaders Get Creative To Boost Student Numbers
- > Jul 30, 7:13 AM: School districts across Wisconsin are enrolling fewer students. In Milwaukee, the drop is due in part to fewer school-aged children. But the growing popularity of the state's voucher program that helps some families pay
- Riveredge charter school moves closer to reality
- > Jul 26, 6:13 AM: All systems seem to be go for a proposed charter school at Riveredge Nature Center after it received a $700,000 charter school planning and implementation grant from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- Despite focus on education, Scott Walker and Tony Evers to miss meeting with Betsy DeVos
- > Jul 25, 7:11 AM: Gov. Scott Walker won't be meeting with the highest-ranking education official in U.S. government when she visits Wisconsin Tuesday — at a time when Walker is making a case to voters that he's an "education governor."
- Special needs vouchers cost Wisconsin public schools $5.6 million in first two years
- > Jul 25, 4:34 AM: A Wisconsin program that allows special needs students to attend private schools on taxpayer-funded vouchers cost local public schools almost $5.6 million in state funding over the last two years, including hundreds of
- Scott Walker leans into 'education governor' message as opponents scoff
- > Jul 23, 7:09 AM: Over the last month, his campaign has released two television ads featuring teachers praising his education record as he seeks a third term. "I’m being aggressive on this," Walker said in an interview last month. "We’re
- Kettle Moraine School District will allow parents to opt out of Summit Learning Program
- Jul 20, 6:42 AM: An online petition against an online learning program used at Kettle Moraine Middle School has resulted in the Kettle Moraine School District giving those who oppose the program an option to opt out of it.
- Racine School District, UW-Parkside Partner To Address Special Education Teacher Shortage
- > Jul 17, 6:50 AM: The University of Wisconsin-Parkside and the Racine Unified School District are partnering up to address a special education teacher shortage in the district. They're launching a 2-year teacher residency program that will
- New Green Bay charter school aims to promote tech, hands on learning
- Jul 17, 5:43 AM: The Green Bay School District has begun planning a new charter school with the help of an almost $1 million state grant.
- Commentary: Democrats should stop attacking school choice
- > Jul 16, 4:53 AM: Anti-school choice views seemingly dominate the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. To a casual observer, the once muscular pro-school choice wing of the party (think former Milwaukee Mayor John Norquist and the late
- Charter school's mission to get struggling students into Green Bay tech boom
- Jul 12, 4:29 AM: Green Bay has officially landed on the tech industry map with Microsoft and Foxconn investing in the city. The state is also investing in a new school to help get students ready for those high tech jobs.
- Editorial: Don't confuse charter schools with voucher schools
- Jul 11, 5:33 AM: Every charter school in Wisconsin is a public school.The many Democrats running for governor should memorize this fact, because some of them are getting it wrong.
- Howard Fuller emerges as central figure in battle over the future of MPS North Division High School
- > Jul 6, 7:04 AM: A former Milwaukee Public Schools superintendent, Fuller says he is not pushing any particular model, including privatization. But he said something must be done to improve North Division — its culture and climate, as well
- Gov. Scott Walker says state schools chief Tony Evers is ignoring his ability to take over schools
- > Jul 6, 5:13 AM: Gov. Scott Walker says Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Evers has failed to step up and take over failing schools. But does Evers have that authority? Have the problems facing Milwaukee Public Schools reached a
- Commentary: Did Wisconsin's schools chief receive the largest charter school grant in the country?
- > Jul 3, 7:15 AM: The comment came during a May 28, 2018 interview with Kai Brito on the WORT 8 O’Clock Buzz. In it, Roys took a jab at rival Democratic candidate Tony Evers regarding some of the charter-school initiatives he has pursued as
- Commentary: A new public education movement is emerging in Wisconsin, a rebuke to Gov. Walker’s war on labor and school privatization
- > Jul 3, 6:44 AM: The unacknowledged “theory of change” behind much of this nonpartisan activism, of course, is that once voters begin to connect the dots between the specific policies that are undermining their public schools, and the
- Milwaukee Public Schools Begin Summer Enrollment Drive
- > Jun 28, 5:46 AM: Milwaukee Public Schools is kicking off an enrollment drive Wednesday, led by interim Superintendent Keith Posley. He'll join canvassers as they head out to neighborhoods on buses to tout the merits of the district,
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%
- fdlreporter.com 17%