- Howard Fuller withdraws proposal to locate charter school at Milwaukee North Division
- > Mar 19, 4:43 AM: Longtime school choice advocate Howard Fuller has withdrawn a proposal to move his charter school into Milwaukee's North Division High School rather than face what was certain to be a brutal approval process.
- Zdrale: How much of your taxes go toward vouchers?
- > Mar 15, 5:23 AM: These tuition vouchers not only support the costs of students newly enrolled in private schools, but also those who have always been there. For these families, vouchers are not inducements, but giveaways for something
- Gov. Doyle announces rural school initiative
- > Mar 13, 5:26 AM: Part of Doyle's proposed 2007-09 budget, the initiative seeks to ensure rural children have an equal chance for a quality education. It includes notable reforms of Wisconsin's school financing system.
- Cash-strapped Wisconsin schools with low budgets or rural locations to get extra funding
- > Mar 13, 5:05 AM: The bill signed by Walker Monday, Assembly Bill 835, will provide $6.5 million more for schools in sparsely populated rural areas. It will also allow an estimated $15.6 million more for districts with the tightest budgets,
- Youth apprenticeship bears fruit for student in Portage
- > Mar 5, 6:55 AM: He works at E.K. for about three hours a day after school, Monday through Thursday. His apprenticeship ends in July, but Aldridge plans to stick with the company at least through the summer. His work coincides with his
- Merrimac school hits capacity, enrollment capped
- > Feb 27, 6:57 AM: Merrimac Community Charter School with 47 students in its first year of operation in 2006. The student population for the 2017-18 school year is 115; one student away from the school's maximum capacity. Until discussions
- A Milwaukee voucher school grad was told he should get his GED. Here’s why
- > Feb 26, 6:15 AM: Earnest has spent months trying to obtain his diploma and transcripts from Travis Technology High School, a now-defunct voucher school that closed its doors in 2014. State law requires Milwaukee voucher schools to turn
- In high school, students prepare for workforce
- > Feb 23, 5:54 AM: February is Career and Technical Education month, and it’s a time McGlynn feels especially proud. Unlike many school districts, Waunakee is able to offer high school courses in all six areas of career and technical
- Riveredge, Fredonia district plan to launch charter school
- > Feb 22, 6:41 AM: Riveredge Nature Center is planning to launch a nature-based, elementary charter school sponsored by the Northern Ozaukee School District where students would spend most of the day outside studying subjects normally taught
- Wisconsin voucher program for special needs students expected to triple next year
- > Feb 13, 7:02 AM: Alontay is one of 68 students who attend St. Marcus through Wisconsin's 2-year-old Special Needs Scholarship Program, which allows children with disabilities, regardless of income, to attend private schools on
- Madison to see up to two independent charter schools open in fall 2018
- > Feb 2, 6:15 AM: State “charter czar” Gary Bennett on Thursday said he intends to authorize up to two independent charter schools to open this fall in Madison, and both are familiar names in the city’s public education landscape.
- Statewide voucher school program continues expansion with 68 new schools for 2018-19
- > Feb 2, 6:08 AM: Private schools, most of them faith-based, continue to flock to Wisconsin's taxpayer-funded statewide voucher program that serves students outside of the Racine and Milwaukee school districts, according to new state data.
- Six schools join register for Racine Parental Choice Program
- > Feb 1, 6:17 AM: Six new schools registered with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction this year to accept students through the Racine Parental Choice Program. In all, 26 private nonsectarian and religious schools registered to
- Do School Vouchers Work? Milwaukee’s Experiment Suggests an Answer
- > Jan 29, 8:20 AM: Almost three decades ago, Milwaukee started offering the nation’s first-ever school vouchers. Starting small, the program allowed poor children to use taxpayer money to attend private schools. Today, about a quarter of
- MPS approves two-year extension for Holy Redeemer charter school despite move to rescind
- > Jan 29, 6:14 AM: A struggling independent charter school affiliated with a prominent Milwaukee church has won a two-year reprieve from Milwaukee Public Schools, despite a recommendation by some board members that it rescind its charter to
- Struggling Kathryn T. Daniels charter school could lose MPS contract
- > Jan 22, 8:27 AM: A struggling Milwaukee charter school affiliated with a prominent religious organization could lose its charter to operate in June, under a measure that moves to the Milwaukee Public Schools board this week.
- Portable classrooms or renovated barn? School board eyes charter school building options
- > Jan 19, 6:42 AM: The board discussed the barn renovation idea at length Monday night, after board member Michael Huffman said he’d run some very preliminary numbers that show refurbishing the barn as classroom space might cost about the
- District hopes if it builds virtual school, students will come
- > Jan 18, 7:08 AM: A virtual public school in Ripon, for Riponites, is a go for the fall. Now all it needs are real, live students and a real, live teacher. The School Board unanimously approved a teaching position for the proposed school
- Fewer than half of Wisconsin school districts have certified teachers unions
- > Jan 2, 7:54 AM: Six years after Gov. Scott Walker and state Republicans made labor unions’ ability to retain members much more difficult, fewer than half of the state’s 422 school districts have certified unions.
- Racine Unified enrollment choice window closes soon
- > Dec 29, 9:11 AM: The deadline is approaching for school choice enrollment in the Racine Unified School District. Until the enrollment window closes on Jan. 15, Unified families can go online and sign their children up to attend the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%
- fdlreporter.com 17%