- Milwaukee Choice School Sues MPS Over Transportation Costs
- Mar 24, 5:53 AM: The tug-of-war continues between public and private choice schools in Milwaukee over transportation costs.
- Act 10, voucher schools on residents’ minds at Brookfield town hall
- Mar 22, 5:47 AM: Frustration over school choice and the continuing effects of Act 10 were among the issues raised by constituents at a town hall meeting with Republican lawmakers in Brookfield on Tuesday.
- New memo shows higher private school voucher payments
- Mar 21, 5:04 AM: Taxpayer-funded payments to children choosing to attend private schools using a voucher will increase an estimated $217 per-student in each of the next two years.
- Merrimac charter school drops residency restriction
- Mar 15, 6:17 AM: Merrimac Community Charter School will drop its residency requirements and welcome students from anywhere in the state.
- Milwaukee charter schools performed better than public schools on ACT, report shows
- Mar 2, 6:47 AM: A report published Wednesday by the libertarian Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty found that charter schools in the Milwaukee area outperformed their public counterparts.
- Tomah weighs expanded role in virtual academy
- > Feb 27, 7:28 AM: The Tomah School Board, during a Feb. 20 meeting at Robert Kupper Learning Center, heard a proposal to become an “invested member” of the academy, which provides online educational services to 16 school districts in central
- State superintendent race pits choice advocate, public school defender
- > Feb 23, 6:35 AM: The state superintendent race pits two former school district superintendents and longtime educators against each other — a proponent of expanding school choices and an opponent of the state expansion of taxpayer-funded school
- WI Lawmakers seek to establish charter school for teens recovering from drug addiction
- Feb 21, 7:41 AM: State lawmakers want to start a recovery charter school as part of the HOPE Agenda, a multiple-year legislative effort aimed at curbing the state's opioid epidemic.
- State schools chief race tops Tuesday primary ballot
- Feb 21, 5:49 AM: Statewide voter turnout for primary elections Tuesday is expected to be light with only one statewide race for Wisconsin schools chief on the ballot.
- Study: Vouchers kept Milwaukee Catholic parishes open, but at a cost to religious activity
- > Feb 15, 6:36 AM: The expansion of private-school vouchers in Milwaukee prevented Catholic parishes from closing and merging, but also led to a significant decline in participating churches' donations and religious activity, a new study
- School districts make pitch for open enrollment
- Feb 8, 7:46 AM: The School District of Beloit is working to advertise the district with newspaper ads, billboard advertising, fliers and messages on social media, according to Executive Director of Student Services Emily Pelz.
- What ‘school choice’ looks like in Jackson County
- > Feb 8, 7:01 AM: School choice continues to be a huge national debate, but it’s ramifications for school districts in Jackson County and surrounding areas is real, causing some schools to lose state aid while others have chosen to
- Three local schools join growing voucher program
- Feb 1, 8:01 AM: Two Green Bay schools and another in Kewaunee County are among more than 30 schools that have applied to participate in the state's school voucher program for the first time.
- Parochial schools seek to join voucher program
- Feb 1, 6:02 AM: Parochial schools in Mayville and Fond du Lac are among area schools planning to participate in the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program for the first time.
- Madison School Board approves Montessori charter school for 2018-19 school year
- Jan 31, 7:53 AM: The Madison School Board voted Monday to establish a public Montessori charter school — the first of its kind in the district.
- Humphries touts plan to improve low-performing schools
- > Jan 27, 6:59 AM: Superintendent of Public Instruction candidate John Humphries announced a proposal Thursday that would allow failing low-income public schools to be turned over to outside operators, resurrecting an idea that failed to gain traction
- State superintendent candidate in favor of converting low-performing schools
- Jan 13, 6:39 AM: State superintendent candidate John Humphries wants schools that persistently do not meet state standards to be converted into private voucher or charter schools, or a new model of public school or some other governance model.
- Online charter school students look to make eImpact in the physical world
- Jan 10, 7:08 AM: Students who spend a large portion of their school year individually taking courses online are working together to create hands-on projects that will benefit the community.
- Charter school lead testing plan advances
- Jan 9, 7:35 AM: Public charter schools approved by the City of Milwaukee would be required to test all of their drinking fountains and faucets annually, under a resolution passed Friday by a Common Council committee.
- Pathways charter school, modeled after High Tech High, eyes Milwaukee debut
- Jan 3, 6:14 AM: A project-based public high school modeled after the much-touted High Tech High in San Diego is preparing to open in Milwaukee later this year with a charter from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%
- fdlreporter.com 17%