- Democrats float bill to require listing voucher school impact on property tax bills
- > May 22, 5:19 AM: For the second session in a row, Democratic lawmakers are floating a bill that would require municipalities to spell out on property tax bills how much money is going to support private, mostly religious, schools that
- This school district outsourced many of its high school courses to an online program
- > May 21, 6:17 AM: Welcome to the world of online coursetaking, where regular public high schools farm out some instruction to computer programs, often in an effort to help students rapidly earn course credits. In Milwaukee, one in five
- Madison charter One City Schools looks to be 'a model for what all schools could learn from'
- > May 6, 7:38 AM: Two teachers in each classroom, longer days and an extended school year. Those are some of the strategies One City Schools officials believe could narrow Madison’s persistent racial achievement gap and act as a model for
- Wisconsin group files brief with U.S. Supreme Court in support of school choice, religious liberty
- > Apr 18, 5:57 AM: The Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty has filed an amicus brief with the U.S. Supreme Court, asking it to consider hearing Espinoza v. Montana on behalf of former Gov. Scott Walker. The brief argues the case is “a
- Report: Wisconsin Saw Fourth Largest Decline In Higher Ed Funding Between 2013 And 2018
- > Apr 16, 7:41 AM: A national report ranking state funding for higher education shows Wisconsin saw the fourth largest decline in per-student spending between 2013 and 2018. The only states with larger decreases in that timeframe were
- Slate backed by teachers union, Working Families Party sweeps MPS races
- > Apr 3, 6:32 AM: The Milwaukee Teachers' Education Association was among the big winners in Tuesday's elections after a slate of five Milwaukee school board candidates endorsed by the union and the progressive Working Families Party swept
- Charter renewal for Nuestro Mundo to go before Madison School Board this month
- Apr 1, 7:33 AM: Madison’s dual-language immersion school, Nuestro Mundo, is up for a five-year charter contract renewal, which includes a commitment to continue to enroll at least three kindergarten classes per year.
- Column: MPS election Tuesday boils down to union strength and the future of independent charters
- > Apr 1, 7:22 AM: Whatever may or may not change as a result of Tuesday’s outcomes, there is a strong chance it will be an important fork in the road for charter schools. If the five candidates being backed energetically by the teachers’
- Voucher schools sue Wisconsin DPI, saying the state unfairly limits their 'virtual learning' options
- > Mar 28, 5:19 AM: A school choice advocacy group is suing the state Department of Public Instruction saying private schools that accept students on taxpayer-funded vouchers should be able to use "virtual learning" to meet their
- Charter schools debate looms large in MPS district races
- > Mar 25, 6:37 AM: While the 10 candidates cite a host of concerns, from limited funding and looming deficits to large class sizes and more, a single issue has emerged as a kind of litmus test for some: the proliferation of independent
- 'You can't define yourself by other people's limited expectations': Michelle Obama makes surprise visit to Milwaukee school
- > Mar 15, 7:53 AM: "The one thing you have to remember is you can't define yourself by other people's limited expectations of you," she told the gathering of about 14 juniors from various schools who'd come together for a roundtable
- Letter: Opportunity gap holds students back
- > Mar 12, 6:27 AM: What is the racial achievement gap? It’s an opportunity gap rooted in inequity. Students in schools are not given the same opportunities for success. Let’s call this phenomenon what it is -- an opportunity gap, not an
- Review & Outlook: Wisconsin’s School Monopolist
- > Mar 8, 8:35 AM: Wisconsin has been a pioneer in school choice. In Milwaukee about 28,000 students, all from modest means, receive state vouchers that let them attend private schools. So do 10,000 kids throughout the rest of the state, as
- Editorial: Evers' voucher-freeze proposal isn't going anywhere
- Mar 8, 7:18 AM: As he had previously announced, Gov. Tony Evers’ budget address Thursday night called for freezing enrollment in the state’s voucher school programs.
- ‘Very unique program:’ MPS uses ‘blended learning’ to help young refugees adapt, study English
- Mar 6, 7:39 AM: When children who are refugees find themselves in Milwaukee, they're often in the same classroom. A Milwaukee Public Schools program is helping them get their start.
- Explained: How charter schools, voucher programs operate
- > Mar 6, 6:56 AM: Gov. Tony Evers' biennial budget calls for a cap on the number of taxpayer-funded vouchers available for students to enroll in private schools, and a suspension of creating new independent charter schools until 2023. The
- How much of Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' budget will survive the GOP Legislature? (Spoiler: Not much)
- > Feb 28, 6:27 AM: What's being proposed? Evers, who served as the state's school superintendent until he was sworn in as governor in January, wants to increase funding for public schools by $1.4 billion and provide $600 million to help
- Rock University High School readying students for diplomas, degrees
- Feb 27, 7:46 AM: Starting next fall, Rock University High School will ramp up its efforts to help students earn high school diplomas and associate degrees from Blackhawk Technical College simultaneously.
- Gov. Tony Evers seeks to freeze enrollment in private voucher schools, suspend charter school expansion
- Feb 25, 7:57 AM: Gov. Tony Evers in his first state budget is seeking to undo expansions of private voucher schools and independent charter schools passed by Republicans over the last decade.
- EC school board considering virtual charter school proposal
- > Feb 21, 7:05 AM: In an effort to offer additional alternative educational opportunities to the community, gain students and generate revenue, the Eau Claire school board is considering a proposal for a new virtual charter school that could
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%
- fdlreporter.com 17%