- Enrollment in Wisconsin school districts dips; independent charters, voucher schools grow
- > Oct 18, 7:59 AM: After the COVID-19 pandemic caused a noticeable drop in enrollment last year, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction reported Friday a continued but smaller dip in the number of children attending public school
- School choice would allow parents to transfer kids over mask policies
- > Oct 15, 8:15 AM: The Senate Committee on Education on Thursday heard from lawmakers on Senate Bill 587, which would give parents the ability to send their kids to a new school based solely on a school district's coronavirus policy.
- Commentary: MPS must wake up to this reality: Parents are making a choice
Turning our backs on MPS is not the answer, nor is sitting quietly on the sidelines and hoping for a better outcome. Preparing all students to reach their potential is an indelible mark of a successful community. This >
Oct 7, 8:56 AM:
- During pandemic, number of high school seniors taking key step toward enrolling in college plummets
- > Sep 30, 8:01 AM: In a troubling sign of the pandemic’s impact on students' plans for higher education, a report from the Wisconsin Policy Forum shows less than half the state’s public high school seniors last year filled out federal
- Wisconsin Assembly voting on requiring civics education
- Sep 28, 8:54 AM: A statewide civics curriculum would be created that all Wisconsin public and private schools would have to follow under a Republican-authored bill up for approval Tuesday in the state Assembly.
- Online learning still a viable option for Milton and Janesville students
- > Sep 17, 8:37 AM: Konnor Fink, an eighth-grader enrolled in the ARISE Virtual Academy, an online learning option available to Janesville students for the past 15 years, has not been in a “traditional” school program since he started taking
- Falling public school enrollment means less money for schools, programs
- > Sep 17, 8:00 AM: The number of students attending Wisconsin public schools is expected to decline in the coming school year. School administrators and union representatives are concerned that the decline could lead to gaps in funding for
- ‘What are we waiting for?’: Teachers’ union urges Milwaukee to reinstate mask mandate
- > Sep 10, 11:24 AM: Calls for Milwaukee to reinstate its indoor mask mandate are getting louder. Some members of Common Council, the Milwaukee School Board and now the teachers' union are all pushing for the city to mask up again.
- High Demand For Wisconsin School Districts’ Virtual Options As Delta Drives COVID-19 Surge
- > Sep 3, 10:19 AM: With the number of new positive cases of COVID-19 on par with what Wisconsin was seeing last winter, parents and guardians are worried that the coronavirus is going back into the classroom along with their kids.
- Opinion: Control of MPS must be wrested from the school board and teachers union
- > Sep 2, 11:57 AM: Memo to state legislators: We are at the start of another school year and Milwaukee Public Schools continues to founder. It is of the utmost urgency that you do two things. Dismantle the MPS School Board, which continues
- Roughly 750 families apply for Madison School District’s virtual program for grades 4K-5
- Sep 1, 12:14 PM: About five times the number of students in grades 4K-5 the Madison Metropolitan School District was prepared to have in its last-minute virtual option applied for the program.
- Independent charters get twice as much federal COVID aid per student as school districts
- Aug 30, 11:57 AM: Wisconsin’s independent charter schools are getting twice as much federal COVID relief funding per student as public school districts, according to an analysis of data by the Wisconsin State Journal.
- Opinion: Conservative Reforms Worked Wonders in Blue Wisconsin
- Aug 27, 8:54 AM: Protesters claimed our reforms would hurt education, but the reforms we enacted a decade ago are still working.
- Wisconsin public schools see increasing interest in virtual learning
- > Aug 26, 4:44 PM: With their still being uncertainty with the coronavirus pandemic, O’Hagan said giving families choices for their child’s education, whether choosing traditional learning or virtual, is extremely important.
- ‘No more’: Green Bay parents opt to homeschool after district’s new mask mandate
- Aug 20, 3:05 PM: On Wednesday, the Green Bay Area School District Board of Education voted to require masks for students and staff this upcoming school year. So some parents are choosing to homeschool their kids instead.
- Many Wisconsin School Boards, Overwhelmed By 18 Months Of Community Pushback, Aren’t Taking Up Mask
- > Aug 19, 4:46 PM: Kim Herro, Rick Grothaus and Dan Raasch had been trying to change the board’s approach to governance and leadership, which they felt was toxic and made it impossible to collaboratively work on solutions, for over a year.
- Poll: More than 30% of Democratic primary voters in Milwaukee support school choice
- > Aug 18, 2:48 PM: The poll shows support among Democrats in Milwaukee County for both school vouchers and public charter schools. The survey was conducted July 27 through July 29, and polled 766 likely 2022 Democratic Primary Election
- Expand School Choice for All Wisconsin Families, Major Report Urges
- > Aug 18, 12:50 PM: All Wisconsin parents deserve the right to choose the best school for their children at a time that the pandemic has sparked a great parental awakening in the state, according to a major policy report on Wisconsin school
- Amid a growing trend, Northeast Wisconsin families plan to continue homeschooling this fall
- Aug 5, 12:20 PM: Along with over 30,000 other Wisconsinites, Heeg-Pieper's kids aren't learning in a traditional classroom.
- Milwaukee Excellence charter school expands into MPS building under emergency measure
- > Aug 4, 11:24 AM: Milwaukee Excellence, an independently run charter school, is planning to move its high school grades into the third floor of Andrew S. Douglas public middle school this week, under an emergency protocol that skirted the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- HaywardWis.com 17%
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%