- No 'deficiencies' identified for any charter school, though questions remain
- Nov 10, 8:48 AM: The state Professional Charter School Board's chairman says none of the applications to start West Virginia's first charter schools “have any identified deficiencies"
- One company applies to run half of WV’s first charter schools
- > Nov 8, 10:23 AM: Accel Schools says it serves schools in seven states. West Virginia could be the eighth. The fast-expanding charter school management company’s name is on half of the six applications to open charters in West Virginia.
- Mon teacher sues the state over charter school process
- > Nov 8, 10:20 AM: Sam Brunett broke it down into one concise sentence last week. It's not charter schools in general — nor is it the West Virginia Academy in particular, he said.For Brunett, an art teacher at Morgantown High and longtime
- W.Va. Supreme Court justices hear arguments on whether new law targets labor unions
- > Oct 28, 9:30 AM: More than a dozen labor unions on Tuesday asked the West Virginia Supreme Court to overturn legislation passed in the 2021 regular session of the Legislature the unions contend is deliberately intended to single them out
- Commentary: WV Unions Push Back Against the GOP
- > Oct 27, 8:21 AM: The West Virginia Supreme Court is considering whether to uphold a lower court order prohibiting the state’s Paycheck Protection law from going into effect. The law specifically prohibits state and local governments from
- Senate approves appointments to WV charter school board
- > Oct 21, 6:27 AM: The West Virginia Senate voted without dissent or discussion Wednesday to confirm Gov. Jim Justice’s 149 appointments to various jobs and boards, including the West Virginia Professional Charter School Board and the
- WVa teachers union sues county over COVID-19 school policies
- > Oct 20, 8:39 AM: The West Virginia Education Association filed the lawsuit Monday against the Putnam County Board of Education. The lawsuit, which seeks a preliminary injunction, claims the board’s policies on contact tracing, masks,
- Higher education working to provide more teachers
- > Oct 20, 8:34 AM: "We think that’s the key,” Peduto said of student teaching. “Because so many teachers ... drop out within the first three years. And it’s mostly because they don’t feel prepared. They haven’t learned the practical side of
- Meet the 4 who will likely get to decide whether charter schools open in WV
- > Oct 11, 9:26 AM: Four people get to decide which charter schools can open in West Virginia. The quartet is also tasked with helping to hold these schools accountable.Nobody voted for them. The governor appointed them. State senators will
- Lawsuit says charter schools shouldn’t be created without votes of the public
- Oct 4, 8:54 AM: Sam Brunett of Marion County and Robert McCloud of Kanawha County, both parents and educators, are suing the leaders of the West Virginia Senate and House of Delegates, as well as Gov. Jim Justice.
- West Virginia county school systems become one-to-one with students thanks to COVID-19 pandemic funding
- > Oct 4, 6:35 AM: Thanks to funding made available due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many West Virginia county school systems have achieved their goal of buying enough laptops or tablets to send one home with each student. However, there are
- Editorial: Is Nitro charter school about money or education?
- > Oct 1, 9:12 AM: By law, charter schools in West Virginia have to be nonprofits. Of course, that doesn’t mean businesses that make a killing on the charter model can’t be paid to run them. It also doesn’t mean those for-profit companies
- Huntington residents are trying to start a charter school in Nitro, 7 min from 1 of WV's 3 Blue Ribbon Schools
- > Sep 30, 8:26 AM: A for-profit education company is seeking to open a charter school in the shadow of one of West Virginia’s three 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools and draw students from a county that had the state’s second-highest math
- Charter school board getting $200K from W.Va. Department of Education
- Sep 22, 9:08 AM: The West Virginia Department of Education is providing $200000 in startup money to the still unstaffed state charter school approval board.
- Two brick-and-mortar charter schools proposed for local area
- > Sep 16, 9:36 AM: Of seven applicants looking to form charter schools in West Virginia, two submissions are to form brick-and-mortar locations in the Eastern Panhandle, and another three were submitted for virtual charter schooling,
- 7 charter schools seeking to open in WV, online and in Nitro, Cheat Lake, Eastern Panhandle
- Sep 8, 3:10 PM: Seven applicants are asking West Virginia’s new state-level charter school board to allow them to open, according to the board’s chairman.
- West Virginia to provide $150 back-to-school vouchers for vaccinated grandfamilies
- > Aug 31, 3:19 PM: West Virginia families, in which the grandparents are the primary providers for the children, will be eligible to receive $150 back-to-school vouchers if the grandparents and the children receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Virtual charter school applicant prepares to apply, while new review board gears up
- > Aug 27, 5:34 AM: As West Virginia’s newly-established Professional Charter School Board takes more steps to get organized, a private group called Mountain State Learning Solutions met to prepare its application to provide virtual charter
- State may have to defend charter schools
- > Aug 20, 3:29 PM: As West Virginia officials prepare to implement the nation’s most expansive education savings account program and the new state charter school board has its first meeting, the state may have to defend both programs in
- Possible Lawsuit Threatens Rollout of Charter Schools, Hope Scholarship in West Virginia
- > Aug 19, 4:48 PM: As West Virginia officials prepare to implement the nation’s most expansive education savings account program and the new state charter school board has its first meeting, the state may have to defend both programs in
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph - Online 100%
- Wetzel Chronicle - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Wheeling News-Register - Online 8%
- Mountain Statesman 17%