- Commentary: Look below the surface of the education bill
- > Jul 1, 6:52 AM: If you only paid attention to the hyperventilated debate, you would think that Republicans and Governor Jim Justice were gutting public education and undermining teachers. However, the education reform bill, which has now
- Justice signs omnibus education bill, putting bow on pay raises and opening door to charters
- > Jul 1, 6:05 AM: The bill includes a variety of proposed changes to the education system, including pay raises, charter schools, increased support personnel for schools, open enrollment, incentives to fill in-demand positions and financial
- Jeanne Allen: Anti-charter groups should stay out of debate
- Jun 28, 8:20 AM: Monday night, the West Virginia Legislature passed a bill allowing for the very limited operation of charter schools. It won’t be enough in a state struggling to pass most of its students.
- Opinion: New era for W.Va. education Courage and persistence triumphed over the status quo
- > Jun 28, 7:53 AM: Last week, something happened in your state Capitol that many people predicted never would: Our Legislature passed a comprehensive education reform bill, including measures that provide educational choice in our state.
- Carmichael confident charter schools will be authorized
- > Jun 26, 7:24 AM: Following the Senate’s passage of the omnibus education bill, Senate President Mitch Carmichael is confident a county board of education will take the next step to authorize the establishment of West Virginia’s first
- Senate bill’s passage frustrates educators
- Jun 26, 6:45 AM: Local educators say they are disappointed with the West Virginia Legislature’s endorsement of a controversial education bill.
- Senate passes omnibus education bill; Gov. Justice plans to sign it
- Jun 25, 5:22 AM: After fighting over the issue for nearly six months, lawmakers have finally passed a bill to legalize charter schools in West Virginia.
- West Virginia #RedforEd Teachers' Rally Fails to Intimidate State Legislature (CER in the news)
- > Jun 24, 8:26 AM: A rally of #RedforEd teachers at West Virginia’s state capitol on Monday failed to intimidate the GOP-controlled West Virginia State Legislature from moving forward with legislation that would authorize charter schools in
- Editorial: Taking Next Step on Schools
- > Jun 24, 6:59 AM: Given the many restrictions on charters — the House bill devotes 32 pages to them — it is difficult to imagine a rush to apply for even the three authorizations to be made available at first. One potential source of
- Compromise Reached on Education Reform and Charter Schools in W.Va.
- > Jun 24, 5:18 AM: The third time could be the charm with the passage of the House of Delegate’s education omnibus which allows for three charter schools every three years after three groups — the House, the state Senate, and the governor —
- Justice, Carmichael voice support for education bill; passage likely
- > Jun 21, 5:24 AM: Final passage seems likely for West Virginia's omnibus education bill, which has dominated education debate since January and, although greatly amended since, at one point caused the state's second public school worker
- West Virginia House Passes Controversial Omnibus After Hours of Debate Over Charter Schools
- > Jun 20, 5:10 AM: The West Virginia House of Delegates has passed its version of a long, sweeping and controversial education reform measure. The bill, which is the latest in a series of omnibus proposals, cleared the lower chamber
- House to hold public hearing on education bill before final vote
- > Jun 19, 5:42 AM: Delegates will hold a public hearing on House Bill 206 at 8 a.m. Wednesday and then resume their special session for a third reading and a final vote on passage of the measure. House Speaker Roger Hanshaw, R-Clay, said
- Teachers’ unions promote poll critical of Act
- Jun 19, 5:28 AM: Representatives of the three teacher and school service personnel unions released a poll Monday showing vast opposition to the West Virginia Senate’s Student Success Act.
- One of two education tax credit bills still alive in House
- Jun 19, 5:18 AM: The House Finance Committee spent just over two hours hashing over HB 168, the so-called Equal Opportunity Education Scholarship program, and barely passed it, with two Republican members crossing over.
- Education Reform Bills Progress in House
- Jun 19, 5:13 AM: Of note, it caps the Senate’s unlimited charter school program in Senate Bill 1039 to a 10-school maximum and gives counties sole power to authorize or reject charter school applications.
- Editorial: Support from president irrelevant in education fight
- > Jun 18, 7:33 AM: Over the weekend, a report from The Associated Press noted that West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice and Senate President Mitch Carmichael, R-Jackson, were locked in battle to prove who is more beloved by the Trump
- West Virginia Considers Bill Penalizing Teachers Who Strike
- > Jun 18, 6:52 AM: The bill, passed with wide support among the GOP-controlled Senate earlier this month, would allow striking teachers to be fired or have their pay withheld. The bill also allows for charter schools to be established in the
- House GOP furthers education omnibus, voucher bills
- Jun 18, 5:26 AM: Over the objections of Democrats and protesting public school workers, the Republican-controlled West Virginia House of Delegates pushed forward Monday with a sweeping education overhaul bill.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph - Online 100%
- Wetzel Chronicle - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Wheeling News-Register - Online 8%
- Mountain Statesman 17%