- Senate President sponsors charter school bill
- Jan 18, 6:49 AM: A bill that seeks to establish specialized public charter schools was introduced in the West Virginia Senate Wednesday.
- WV teachers call for more than a 1 percent raise
- > Jan 16, 7:00 AM: Gov. Jim Justice, in his State of the State address last week, requested a “1 percent” across-the-board pay increase for West Virginia teachers in this year’s legislative session, with further 1 percent increases in each
- Charter schools not on the menu this session in West Virginia
- > Jan 10, 6:47 AM: West Virginia legislators are putting the charter school debate back on the shelf for the upcoming session, Monongalia County Del. Joe Statler, vice chairman of Education, said Friday during the West Virginia Press
- Charter schools not on the menu this legislative session
- > Jan 8, 7:21 AM: West Virginia legislators are putting the charter school debate back on the shelf for the upcoming session, Monongalia County Del. Joe Statler, vice chairman of Education, said Friday during the West Virginia Press
- Can putting the least-experienced teachers in the highest-risk schools ever result in success?
- > Dec 26, 8:50 AM: The county has 254 teachers. According to district administrators, it needs about 25 more, to fill vacancies in special education, elementary education, math, science and the arts. Instead, McDowell averages losing about a
- Your tax dollars paying for a new virtual school, even though you've already been funding one
- > Oct 5, 5:52 AM: There’s already an online school through the state of West Virginia that residents' tax dollars have been funding for the last 17 years. But the problem with that program is that it’s not for full-time students, and
- WV lawmakers hear about policies on teacher seniority, school vouchers
- > Sep 19, 5:17 AM: Reducing the role of seniority in teacher layoff decisions, and allowing families to put public school funding toward private schooling and home schooling, were both concepts that school employee unions opposed and that
- West Virginia authorizes online public schooling
- Apr 28, 6:16 AM: West Virginia has authorized its county school boards to offer virtual school, where students in kindergarten through high school can learn online.
- WV Legislature passes home-school, virtual education bills
- > Apr 10, 6:13 AM: Lawmakers Saturday completed legislation giving home-schoolers access to public vocational education centers, giving them access to public school sports and allowing county public school systems to offer home-schoolers and
- WV House Ed passes bill to expand online classes, allow online diplomas
- > Apr 5, 6:38 AM: The House Education Committee on Tuesday passed a bill that would allow West Virginia county school systems to offer full-time K-12 virtual education and “an online pathway for earning a high school diploma,” while also
- WV Senate Ed passes bills to cut $79M, allow vouchers, tax credits
- > Mar 27, 5:13 AM: West Virginia’s Senate Education Committee on Thursday night passed a bill that would cut state funding to public education next fiscal year by about $79 million but newly authorize county school boards to raise regular
- Poll finds W.Va. residents want school choice
- Mar 10, 7:08 AM: West Virginians want more control over education spending and more choice in where they send their children to school, according to a statewide poll.
- Surrounding states promote advancement of charter schools, sharing positive aspects
- > Feb 13, 5:53 AM: The charter school movement hasn’t taken hold yet in West Virginia. But it has in most other places: West Virginia is just one of seven states where charter schools aren’t operating in some form, including every bordering
- Mon BOE talks charter schools
- Jan 30, 8:31 AM: While meeting with state legislators, the Monongalia County Schools Board of Education delivered their concerns over the possibility of charter schools or a school voucher system in West Virginia.
- As WV public schools struggle, GOP leaders talk up other options
- > Jan 9, 6:04 AM: Though details of possible bills are vague, some Republicans are suggesting the GOP-controlled Legislature will again this year consider legislation that would support educational options outside of the traditional
- WV lawmakers hear about possible school voucher legislation
- > Dec 6, 6:24 AM: West Virginia lawmakers heard Monday about possible legislation that would benefit families of homeschool and private school students, including “Education Savings Accounts” that could give families public money to pay
- Charter schools could face hurdles in WV
- > Feb 15, 6:57 AM: A bill seeking to allow charter schools in West Virginia is raising questions about whether they would bring educational improvements seen elsewhere to local public school systems that are already struggling with finances
- Bill allowing public charter schools expected to be debated again
- Jan 26, 7:09 AM: One of the most controversial bills from last year’s legislative session is expected to be back on the table this week.
- Fayette County schools imbroglio divides the communities, officials
- Dec 31, 8:37 AM: Fayette County residents can agree on one thing — something must be done to fix the county-wide school facility crisis.
- Chamber of Commerce talks charter schools in W.Va.
- Dec 4, 7:07 AM: West Virginia is one of seven states in the country that does not allow public charter schools as a form of education.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph - Online 100%
- Wetzel Chronicle - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Wheeling News-Register - Online 8%
- Mountain Statesman 17%