- WV Senate Ed passes bills to cut $79M, allow vouchers, tax credits
- > Mar 27, 5:13 AM: West Virginia’s Senate Education Committee on Thursday night passed a bill that would cut state funding to public education next fiscal year by about $79 million but newly authorize county school boards to raise regular levy
- Poll finds W.Va. residents want school choice
- Mar 10, 7:08 AM: West Virginians want more control over education spending and more choice in where they send their children to school, according to a statewide poll.
- Surrounding states promote advancement of charter schools, sharing positive aspects
- > Feb 13, 5:53 AM: The charter school movement hasn’t taken hold yet in West Virginia. But it has in most other places: West Virginia is just one of seven states where charter schools aren’t operating in some form, including every bordering state,
- Mon BOE talks charter schools
- Jan 30, 8:31 AM: While meeting with state legislators, the Monongalia County Schools Board of Education delivered their concerns over the possibility of charter schools or a school voucher system in West Virginia.
- As WV public schools struggle, GOP leaders talk up other options
- > Jan 9, 6:04 AM: Though details of possible bills are vague, some Republicans are suggesting the GOP-controlled Legislature will again this year consider legislation that would support educational options outside of the traditional
- WV lawmakers hear about possible school voucher legislation
- > Dec 6, 6:24 AM: West Virginia lawmakers heard Monday about possible legislation that would benefit families of homeschool and private school students, including “Education Savings Accounts” that could give families public money to pay tuition to
- Charter schools could face hurdles in WV
- > Feb 15, 6:57 AM: A bill seeking to allow charter schools in West Virginia is raising questions about whether they would bring educational improvements seen elsewhere to local public school systems that are already struggling with finances and
- Bill allowing public charter schools expected to be debated again
- Jan 26, 7:09 AM: One of the most controversial bills from last year’s legislative session is expected to be back on the table this week.
- Fayette County schools imbroglio divides the communities, officials
- Dec 31, 8:37 AM: Fayette County residents can agree on one thing — something must be done to fix the county-wide school facility crisis.
- Chamber of Commerce talks charter schools in W.Va.
- Dec 4, 7:07 AM: West Virginia is one of seven states in the country that does not allow public charter schools as a form of education.
- Students taking virtual courses face early deadline
- > Mar 26, 7:26 AM: High school students interested in taking online classes offered through the West Virginia Department of Education’s Virtual School program this year will need to sign up by Tuesday or find another way to pay for their
- Governor Leery Of Charter Schools for West Virginia
- > Mar 24, 6:49 AM: That had been a big Republican push, to get charter schools. West Virginia is a little bit different. Most of the places that have charter schools across the country have bigger metropolitan areas than we do. Being a rural state
- Task force to study charter schools
- Mar 16, 6:42 AM: A resolution Democrats say was “prepared rather hastily” will create a task force to study the implementation of charter schools.
- Bill would provide raises to teachers in low performing schools
- Mar 12, 6:49 AM: Teachers at low performing schools in West Virginia are set to receive a pay raise after the state Senate approved a House bill on Wednesday.
- Beallsville Group Pursues Second Chance for School
- Mar 10, 6:29 AM: A group formed in response to the closure of Beallsville High School will pursue forming a charter school in the community.
- GOP: Local control amendment tipped charter school vote
- Mar 4, 7:51 AM: A handful of state Senate Republicans say they voted for charter schools legislation Monday only after a significant change was made to the bill.
- Charter school bill passed
- Mar 3, 7:13 AM: After nearly two hours of debate, the state Senate passed a bill that will enable public charter schools in West Virginia. The vote fell exactly along party lines, 18-16.
- WV Vote Against Common Core
House votes to repeal Common Core State Standards. Vote comes day after State Board of Education signals support for Common Core. Opponents criticize aligned content, supporters warn of costly transition and review process, risk >
Mar 2, 10:23 AM:
- West Virginia Senate Committee Holds Charter School Bill for a Day
- > Feb 27, 6:27 AM: Sen. Dave Sypolt, R-Preston, chair of the Senate Education Committee, requested the bill, which calls for the creation of charter schools, be held for one day and remain on third reading. The Senate unanimously agreed with a voice
- Procedural maneuvers spark battle: Charter school debate ignites Senate uproar
- Feb 25, 6:44 AM: A day after Senate Democrats thought they’d effectively killed legislation that would create public charter schools in West Virginia, Republicans retaliated with an obscure Senate rule of their own.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph - Online 100%
- Wetzel Chronicle - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Wheeling News-Register - Online 8%
- Mountain Statesman 17%