- With possibility of a strike looming, still no contract for Seattle educators after bargaining session Wednesday
- > Aug 30, 7:08 AM: With six days to go before a possible strike occurs, salary raises are the biggest item on the table during this round of negotiations, with many in the union — which includes both teachers and other school employees, like
- Will Tacoma teachers strike? What about Puyallup? Odds are increasing
- Aug 29, 6:24 AM: It’s not a sure thing, but chances are growing that teachers in the Tacoma School District could vote to strike for the first time since 2011, meaning school might not start Sept. 6.
- WA Policy Center expert: Teachers union strikes are illegal
- > Aug 21, 6:45 AM: Finne called the teachers union’s actions a “classic bait-and-switch,” noting that after asking for money to reduce class sizes for the past few years and then receiving that money through the Legislature’s McCleary
- Seattle Public Schools and Teachers’ Unions Spar of Alleged Deficits
- > Aug 7, 6:50 AM: Despite the increase in state funding, Seattle Public School (SPS) officials say that the decreased levy dollars will lead to a deficit in upcoming years that could result in staff downsizing. Meanwhile, teacher union
- Why there aren’t any Native American charter schools in Washington state
- > Aug 2, 6:43 AM: The Trump administration is proposing a tweak to a funding competition that would prioritize applications for charter schools focused on Native American students. Here's why that probably won't change much in Washington
- School Stats: Do charter schools in Washington actually serve students with disabilities?
- > Jul 30, 4:31 AM: A new report from researchers at the University of Washington Bothell attempts to satisfy critics who doubt that the state’s nascent charter schools serve their fair share of students who might need more supports to
- UW study: Want highly trained teachers to work at high-poverty schools? Try offering them $10,000
- > Jul 20, 7:05 AM: In Washington state, teachers who complete a rigorous national certification program and work at a high-poverty school collect a combined $10,000 bonus each year. And new research from the University of Washington finds
- Letter: Charter schools: Good for Washington
- > Jul 19, 6:11 AM: David Leonhardt wrote a fine column about the success charter schools have achieved in New Orleans. Unfortunately, he neglected to mention that charters are being fiercely fought all over the country by teachers unions,
- Opinion: Public unions should negotiate in the light
- > Jul 11, 6:20 AM: Open/observable negotiations is perfectly aligned with the concept, principles, and spirit of Washington’s open government laws as spelled out in the Open Public Meetings Law and Public Records Law. It will end the
- Three years of charter schools in Tacoma, and the fight against them rages on
- > Jul 9, 4:15 AM: Charters came to the state after a 2012 voter-approved initiative gave them the green light. They're not part of the public school system, which is divided into districts and governed by a publicly elected board.
- Why nearly 1,000 families are clamoring to get into Spokane's charter schools
- > Jul 6, 5:21 AM: Increasingly, families across the area are starting to agree. Between Spokane's two charter school systems — Spokane International Academy and PRIDE schools — the waitlist for students trying to get in stands at about 900.
- Newest Tacoma academy will give students healthy choice
- Jul 6, 4:53 AM: Tacoma Public Schools is unveiling yet another specialty school experiment, created with the region’s shortage of healthcare workers in mind.
- Some see move toward more charter schools in online course bill
- Jun 18, 6:12 AM: Some Boone County superintendents say a new law requiring districts to pay for online courses takes away local control and represents a march toward charter school expansion.
- Commentary: Charter schools debate about impact, not funding
The Herald Editorial Board published an editorial on May 23 calling for continued support for charter public schools, but erroneously suggested that support needs to come in the form of a legislative funding fix.>
Jun 18, 5:41 AM:
- Editorial: Charter school backers easily refute position by opponents
- > Jun 4, 6:41 AM: Charter school supporters have had to defend themselves in court — again. Back in mid-May, the state Supreme Court heard arguments over a lawsuit that challenges the law that authorizes the schools, which won voter
- It’s My Privilege to Stand Up for Charter Schools and Students
- > Jun 1, 5:47 AM: But I mean it sincerely when I say it’s a great honor and privilege to represent our state’s charter public schools and their students in court. I stood before the state Supreme Court in May to make the case that our
- Mom cites safety concerns as reason for virtual schooling
- May 31, 6:08 AM: Connie Krestel is a mother of four who was concerned about the security at her boys’ Snohomish County middle school. She enrolled her sons Dustin, 13, and Trevor, 12, at Washington Virtual Academies.
- ‘Square pegs’ avoid ‘round holes’ at online school
- > May 29, 6:14 AM: During typical school days, though, the children go to class using a computer, headset and internet connection. They are enrolled in Washington Connections Academy, an online public school. This is the school’s second
- Opinion: Dads like me know charter schools must be allowed to stay open
- > May 29, 5:53 AM: Charter schools, Washington’s innovative public schools that provide an alternative to the traditional K-12 school district model and focus on serving students from low-income families, recently went before the state
- Debate over state charter schools still isn’t over
- > May 29, 5:09 AM: It may surprise you to know that the debate over whether or not Washington state charter schools are constitutional still isn’t over. Voters approved an initiative in 2012 that allows up to 40 charter schools in Washington
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- seattlepi.com 100%
- The Daily Evergreen Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Kitsap Sun 33%
- KIMA-TV - Online 33%