- Will Thurston County get its first charter school?
- > Jan 19, 7:06 AM: Efforts are underway for what could become Thurston County’s first charter school. The Ducere Group will hold two community forums this month for people to learn about its plans to apply for state authorization of a
- Tacoma charter schools host Thursday bus tour for parents
- Jan 10, 6:44 AM: The tour is the first of several planned to answer questions from parents and students curious about school options and whether charter schools meet their family’s needs.
- Split on school funding marks start of new legislative session in Olympia
- > Jan 10, 6:34 AM: So divided were the eight lawmakers on the task force that they didn’t even adopt a final report to sum up their seven months of work, which involved analyzing school-funding issues that have landed the state in contempt
- Third Wave Of Washington Charter Schools Eyed
- > Jan 6, 7:39 AM: Opening and running a charter school isn’t for the faint of heart, but in Washington their ranks will grow this year with three more starting up in the fall. Eight are already running – six under state supervision in King
- Washington Charter Schools Best in the Nation
- > Dec 7, 7:50 AM: Washington ranks first in the country when it comes to state policies that promote a strong charter school sector, according to a new report out today from the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA).
- Virtual public school working wonders for Clark County elementary student
- > Nov 23, 6:57 AM: Before enrolling in Washington Connections Academy this school year, Monte attended a brick and mortar school in the Battle Ground School District. Since kindergarten, he’s been more advanced than his peers. He was
- Could school vouchers take hold in Washington state?
- Nov 17, 5:59 AM: Vouchers have been a popular cause among conservatives for years. But the concept has faced stiff opposition in Washington state.
- Opponents ‘on offense' against new charter school
- Oct 21, 6:53 AM: California-based Green Dot, plans to open a new charter school in Southeast Seattle despite heavy opposition against them.
- Charter chain plans tuition-free middle school in Rainier Valley
- Oct 17, 4:51 AM: The California-based Green Dot chain plans to open a new charter school in Seattle’s Rainier Valley next fall for middle-school students.
- Seattle Mom Urges NAACP To Reconsider
- > Oct 14, 6:10 AM: Shirline Jones and her son Miles, 12, a sixth-grader at Rainier Prep Public Charter School in the Highline community south of Seattle, were among the hundreds who successfully lobbied the Washington state legislature
- Virtual schools appear to thrive in Washington
- Sep 13, 5:09 AM: A survey from by Edge Research found that of the parents with kids enrolled in Washington Virtual Academy, 94 percent felt their child benefited academically from the curriculum.
- Online classrooms combating teacher shortage
- Sep 9, 5:49 AM: A nationwide teaching shortage is forcing some districts to take a more creative look at how to continue providing education for students.
- State justices question how to compel state in McCleary school-funding ruling
- > Sep 8, 5:58 AM: In the hearing, which lasted more than an hour, the nine justices seemed preoccupied with whether punishing the state any further would succeed in prodding legislators to finally tackle the remaining aspects of fully
- Former Seattle charter school cuts back, sheds grades 2-5
- > Sep 6, 5:14 AM: First Place Scholars, which last year became the state’s first charter school but since has reverted to operating as a private institution, will serve only students in prekindergarten through first grade this year.
- Parents, state file motions to intervene in charter school lawsuit
- > Aug 30, 7:02 AM: Twelve families, representing Washington's eight public charter schools – including Excel Public Charter School in Kent – as well the Washington State Charter Schools Association, filed a collective motion last week to
- Charter school advocates undeterred, will fight second lawsuit
- Aug 24, 5:21 AM: Washington charter school advocates announced Tuesday that they plan to intervene in a lawsuit filed earlier this month that challenges the state’s newest charter school law.
- State Supreme Court justices decry tactics
- > Aug 15, 7:52 AM: An orchestrated effort is attempting to unseat three state Supreme Court justices over two controversial school-funding rulings, the court’s most junior justice said during the Jefferson County Bar Association’s Continuing
- Lawsuit challenges Charter School Act
- Aug 12, 6:00 AM: As Excel Public Charter School in Kent prepares to start it second school year Aug. 22, the constitutionality of charter schools across the state is in question again.
- Coalition files new challenge to Washington’s charter-school law
- > Aug 4, 7:59 AM: A new challenge to the constitutionality of the state’s charter-school law was filed in King County Superior Court on Wednesday by a coalition of parents, educators, school administrators and civic groups.
- Charter-school backers spending big to try to unseat state Supreme Court justice
- > Jul 29, 6:10 AM: Some of the biggest proponents of charter schools in Washington state are pouring money into the race to defeat state Supreme Court Justice Barbara Madsen, who authored last year’s decision declaring the privately run,
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- seattlepi.com 100%
- The Daily Evergreen Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Kitsap Sun 33%
- KIMA-TV - Online 33%