- Woodland Public Schools rises to the challenge of remote learning by implementing Distance Learning 2.0
- > Sep 16, 7:22 AM: The staff of Woodland Public Schools kicked off the start of the school year last week with Distance Learning 2.0 – new strategies, techniques, and teaching styles to ensure the community’s students will receive a distance
- More Seattle families consider 'Pandemic Pods' for remote learning during pandemic
- Sep 10, 6:01 AM: Interest in what has been dubbed the "pandemic pods" has increased, especially as another round of remote learning gets underway due to concerns about coronavirus.
- More than 94% of public school students in Washington state learning remotely this fall, new data shows
- Sep 2, 6:36 AM: More than 94% of Washington state public school kids beginning classes this month are doing so almost entirely remotely, according to new data from the state education department.
- Puget Sound charter school let students meet teachers before virtual learning
- > Aug 26, 7:13 AM: Schools around the state are trying to figure out ways to safely reopen for in-person learning in some form this fall or later in the school year. Impact Public Schools, which runs public charter schools throughout the
- Washington PTA director: Not ‘enough time’ to prepare for effective remote learning
- > Aug 26, 6:52 AM: School districts, educators, and parents have been preparing since last spring for remote learning to continue into the fall, but Andrew Estep, executive director of the Washington State Parent Teacher Association, says
- ‘We just want a choice’: Protesting parents demand in-school learning option
- Aug 17, 4:15 AM: Parents should be given the choice of whether their children learn from home or at schools, a small group of protesters said Friday afternoon outside the Spokane Regional Health District offices.
- Seattle-area parents form ‘learning pods’ to keep kids from falling behind, but coronavirus-driven trend raises equity concerns
- Aug 14, 5:57 AM: School districts across the state have promised that fall classes taught remotely will be better than they were this spring. But Susi Musi isn’t taking any chances.
- Local parents support in-person classes, teacher unions call to go remote
- > Jul 27, 7:45 AM: The Washington Education Association on Thursday called for fully remote learning statewide at least to start the school year, and Seattle Public schools announced Wednesday it will start the year with virtual
- Charter school creates choice, competition
- Jun 30, 5:38 AM: Choice is good. That’s the initial reaction of local school officials to the news that Pinnacles Prep application has been approved to become the Wenatchee Valley’s first charter public school.
- As COVID-19 changes education systems, Washington school superintendent candidates push for local control
- > Jun 29, 5:45 AM: Five candidates are running in Washington’s Aug. 4 primary against incumbent Chris Reykdal for Superintendent of Public Instruction, calling for more local control of schools amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Parents and students need new learning options since public schools may not open this fall
- > Jun 18, 5:44 AM: For those parents who are not ready for their children to return to traditional classrooms, or who believe they are underserved by the routine programs offered by their local district, officials should make available, and
- Tacoma teachers lead march pushing for education reform for students of color
- Jun 15, 6:40 AM: Speakers talked about several issues including a lack of diversity in hiring at schools and policies that impact black students disproportionately.
- Calling for reforms to police and education, Seattle students flood the streets to protest
- Jun 8, 6:19 AM: Opponents to these police-school district partnerships say having law enforcement at schools endangers students and opens the door for police to intervene in minor disciplinary issues.
- Parents gamble on virtual schools amid coronavirus closures. Who stands to gain?
- > May 11, 5:53 AM: She soon found an alternative in Washington Virtual Academies (WAVA), one of the state’s largest public virtual schools — and one that was accepting new students, even in the middle of the school year. And like other
- Editorial: This is the perfect time to reform the K-12 calendar
- > May 4, 5:41 AM: Gov. Jay Inslee and his advisers – though not the Legislature – are figuring out when and how to reopen the state. It’s a work in progress. Life in Washington will change in many ways, some of them permanent. And one of
- Opinion: Connecting youth to career pathways — and hope — from home
- > May 1, 6:59 AM: That’s why Career Connect Washington (CCW) is doubling down on building viable pathways to college and career for 15- to 29-year-olds and delivering more pathways through virtual learning experiences.
- No failing grades for high-school students during coronavirus closures, Reykdal says
- > Apr 23, 5:39 AM: A new grading policy framework released by state schools superintendent Chris Reykdal Tuesday gives school districts broad latitude on how to assign grades to high-school students in the remaining eight weeks of the school
- Stakeholders make case for education choice
- Apr 21, 5:52 AM: As students shift toward remote learning due to COVID-19, some education experts say it’s time to create more flexible learning options.
- Seattle will give high-school students A’s or incompletes; colleges urged to adopt generous grading
- > Apr 21, 5:44 AM: The Seattle School Board on Monday adopted a policy giving all high-school students either A’s or incomplete grades for the spring 2020 semester to reflect the hardships of remote learning. The change was recommended by
- Spokane Public Schools lays out new standards for online learning, partnership with KSPS
- Apr 20, 6:02 AM: With eight weeks left in the academic year and students homebound because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Spokane Public Schools will roll out a more standardized distance learning model this week.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- seattlepi.com 100%
- The Daily Evergreen Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Kitsap Sun 33%
- KIMA-TV - Online 33%