- Editorial: Charter schools are public schools and deserve more equitable funding
- > Feb 10, 9:16 AM: Washington’s public charter schools receive state funding for basic education, just as traditional public schools do — money follows each student. But they are not allowed to augment those budgets through enrichment levies
- Charter schools are new to Washington state. How strong is the law behind them?
- Jan 30, 6:56 AM: With one year left for the state to authorize new charter schools, a national ranking of charter-school laws placed Washington’s near the top.
- Mailer encourages Washington state teachers to stop paying their union dues and ‘save up to $1,200’
- > Jan 3, 8:24 AM: The mailers are part of a wider and litigious political battle between the state’s labor unions and the Freedom Foundation, an Olympia-based conservative think tank, whose website says the group is “working to reverse the
- Offering something new: charter school coming to Manette in 2020
- > Dec 26, 7:58 AM: For parents and students looking for an alternative school option that prioritizes personalized learning and focuses on developing leadership, a tuition-free, nonprofit public charter school will be coming to Bremerton
- Column: What can we learn from Washington’s recent charter-school closures?
- > Dec 9, 8:13 AM: The closures have riled lawmakers, charter-school advocates and researchers. Ashé was backed by a swell of community support, a fact that makes its closure all the more perplexing — and for some, painful. The closures add
- Editorial: Prepare students for technical careers
- > Dec 2, 8:31 AM: A college education should be within reach of all students with the aptitude and interest to pursue a four-year degree, but not everyone wants to follow that path. At the same time, there is a high and consistent workforce
- Washington students have new options to earn a high-school diploma
- > Nov 19, 8:48 AM: It’s official: Starting this school year, Washington students no longer need to take a federal test to earn a high school diploma. Instead, students now have a new menu of options that acknowledge differences in their
- "It gives us hope:" Why Yakima County families chose homeschooling – and what it looks like
- > Nov 18, 6:53 AM: Yakima County had 311 families that opted out of the public school system in the 2018-19 school year. They each take a different approach to the school day, and have many reasons for choosing an alternative education
- Opinion: The college-or-bust message leaves a majority of our students behind
- > Nov 15, 8:49 AM: In the past decade, Washington state has poured tremendous resources and energy into getting students ready for and directly admitted into a four-year college: structured “college-prep” curricula in most every high school;
- Do charter schools increase socioeconomic segregation?
- > Nov 6, 9:16 AM: Do charter schools affect school segregation by income? According to new research published this week, public schools in the United States are becoming more separated based on class — and the expansion of charter schools
- Editorial: Education must challenge, prepare students
- > Nov 5, 7:04 AM: A change of focus in American education has taken place over the past two decades. In 2002, more than half the states required students to pass an academic proficiency test in order to graduate from high school; today, 12
- Op-Ed: State voters should approve Ref. 88 to give opportunity to all
- > Oct 30, 6:58 AM: When I was elected the superintendent of the state’s public education system, I became responsible for the success of every child in Washington’s K-12 schools – in 295 unique school districts and 6 tribal education-compact
- Gap widens between Washington’s low and high performers on national test as gifted education faces scrutiny
- Oct 30, 5:27 AM: New national test scores in math and reading are out, and while averages across Washington have largely flatlined, the gap between the state’s high-flyers and lowest performers continues to grow.
- Editorial: Keep accountability high in handing out diplomas
- > Oct 28, 6:59 AM: Not every student wants or needs to go to university to have a productive, satisfying career and life, but pathways to graduation must not shortchange student learning. Our students’ and state’s future depend on upholding
- A new pathway to construction, electrical and labor trades
- Oct 24, 7:24 AM: Students who complete the program will receive college credit through Everett Community College.
- Charter schools are having their moment in Spokane and the rest of the state
- > Oct 21, 5:44 AM: These are exciting times for charter schools. Spokane International Academy is preparing for a major expansion next year. Innovation High School won a nationwide STEM contest, and along with its sister school, PRIDE Prep,
- Charter school that opened in Kent this fall abruptly closes
- > Oct 17, 6:25 AM: A charter school in Kent that debuted this fall suddenly closed because of a staff exodus and dwindling student enrollment — making it the fourth Washington charter school to shutter in the past year.
- As more charter schools get ready to open in Washington, feds issue grant of nearly $20M
- > Oct 7, 6:50 AM: Five new charter schools are expected to open across Washington next year — and they now have a multimillion dollar reason to celebrate. A Washington charter schools nonprofit has won a nearly $20 million competitive
- Union membership steady in Clark County after ruling
- > Aug 26, 8:04 AM: Union opponents saw the ruling’s potential to reduce the power of public-sector unions, which they’ve blamed for bloated government. With unions traditionally being a key constituency of the Democratic Party, the ruling
- Seattle school district and union still divided on pay less than 2 weeks before school starts
- Aug 23, 7:35 AM: Seattle Public Schools and the union representing 6,000 of its educators reached the end of their scheduled bargaining days on Wednesday without producing a new contract.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- seattlepi.com 100%
- The Daily Evergreen Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Kitsap Sun 33%
- KIMA-TV - Online 33%