- ‘Virtual school’ in Va.?
- > Mar 25, 6:07 AM: Thousands of public school students in Virginia could have the option of taking all of their classes on a home computer in what is known as a “virtual school” — instead of making the daily trek to a building with bells and
- Bell meets with governor regarding virtual school bill
- Mar 11, 7:08 AM: Delegate Dickie Bell emerged with optimism following a 20-minute meeting Thursday morning with Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Secretary of Education Anne Holton on the delegate's virtual school legislation.
- Va.’s governor wants to remake high school education
- > Feb 18, 8:18 AM: Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe wants to redesign high school in the commonwealth, putting more emphasis on preparing teens for the workforce and creating more opportunities for them to get college credit while in high
- Virtual education legislation passes in Virginia House of Delegates
- Feb 18, 7:29 AM: The Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation to establish a statewide virtual school to provide full-time virtual school programs here in Virginia.
- Obenshain disappointed about charter amendment defeat
- Feb 17, 8:30 AM: Sen. Mark Obenshain knew the Virginia Senate vote for a constitutional amendment on charter schools would be close, but when the amendment was defeated 21-19 on Monday, he was stunned.
- Senate defeats constitutional amendment on charter schools
- > Feb 16, 6:36 AM: The two-year fight to promote charter schools as an alternative to struggling Virginia school systems ended dramatically Monday with the narrow defeat of legislation that would have put a charter school amendment to the
- House approves constitutional change to expand charter schools
- > Feb 15, 6:54 AM: Virginia moved a step closer to a voter referendum on charter schools Friday as the House of Delegates narrowly passed a proposed constitutional amendment to give the state the authority to create public charter schools
- Remote Corolla charter school to expand
- Feb 11, 6:48 AM: A charter school on the Currituck Outer Banks that meets in a building constructed with shipwreck timbers more than a century ago is planning to expand to include grades 7 and 8.
- House OKs bill that would allow students to switch schools
- Feb 10, 6:02 AM: Virginia's House of Delegates has approved a bill that would allow students in underperforming schools to switch to a different one within the same district.
- Amendment on charter schools divides community
- Feb 8, 7:38 AM: Sen. Mark Obenshain has heard the arguments against a constitutional amendment to expand the approval authority of public charter schools to the state Board of Education.
- Senate panel advances charter school amendment
- > Feb 3, 7:33 AM: The Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections voted along party lines to advance a bill and resolutions that would together allow the state Board of Education to unilaterally create charter schools anywhere in the
- Virginia's Charter School Amendment Is Prepped For Round Two In Assembly
- > Jan 29, 7:26 AM: Members of Virginia's General Assembly are about to consider a proposal that could radically change how public school students are educated in Virginia. At issue is an amendment to the state Constitution to make it much
- House GOP presses for school choice program, charter growth
- > Jan 27, 6:05 AM: Virginia House Republicans called Tuesday for sweeping changes to the state's educational system, giving parents more power to choose where their kids learn, but the proposals face intense pushback from the state's largest
- General Assembly measure would lift charter schools
- > Jan 25, 6:50 AM: Almost 18 years after Virginia passed a law allowing charter schools in the charter-hungry sweep of the 1990s, there are only nine public charter schools in the state, only two of which were launched by independent
- Critics say lawmakers’ push for more charter schools could hurt classrooms
- > Jan 20, 7:00 AM: They’re an alternative to public schools: Charter schools allow educators to get creative with how they educate students. The idea is to replicate successful programs in public schools. Currently, there are only nine
- Franklin County School Board elects vice chair, discusses charter schools
- > Jan 12, 7:02 AM: The board also discussed a proposed constitutional amendment that the General Assembly will consider in its 2016 session regarding charter schools. The amendment would give the Virginia Board of Education the authority to
- Roanoke organization fighting to keep charter schools out of Virginia
- Jan 8, 7:33 AM: A new budget amendment this year going before the general assembly would make it easier for charter schools to set up shop in Virginia, but one organization in Roanoke is fighting it.
- Lawmakers to Look at Passing Online Public School Bill
- Dec 31, 6:49 AM: Virginia lawmakers will take a second look at a plan to set up an online public school system for students across the commonwealth.
- 'Virtual schools' up for debate in General Assembly
- Dec 29, 7:11 AM: A battle over charter schools is expected to be one of the most heated in the upcoming legislative term.
- Green Run charter school gets green light to raise private money
- Nov 20, 7:54 AM: Green Run Collegiate High School received word Thursday that it has obtained nonprofit status, opening the door for tax-deductible donations.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- townhall.com 83%
- Martinsville Bulletin - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- USA Today - Online 0%
- Gazette - Online, The 0%