- In York County appearance, governor hopeful Gillespie backs charters, tax cuts
- > Mar 22, 6:35 AM: During his trip, Gillespie promised to back legislation expanding charter schools. York River Academy is one of just nine charters in Virginia due to rules that require local school systems to approve charter schools in
- Va. legislators send governor bill to encourage charters in districts with struggling schools
- > Mar 3, 7:20 AM: Virginia lawmakers have sent a bill to Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) that would ease the creation of charter schools in cities and counties with chronically underperforming schools, an effort to expand the charter movement in a
- Corolla charter school expanding again next year, but still has more applicants than spaces
- > Feb 27, 7:31 AM: Judy and Trinity Yanez hope to get their 8-year-old son, Khalel, into Corolla’s charter school, where students often learn through the Outer Banks environment, whether by catching blue crabs or viewing the ocean from the
- Lawmakers in Virginia pushing for more charter schools
- > Feb 17, 7:33 AM: Several bills are making their way through the General Assembly that would allow school divisions with at least two unaccredited schools to join forces and ask the state for permission to create a charter school to help
- Some lawmakers pushing for more charter schools in Va.
- > Feb 16, 7:39 AM: Several measures are making their way through the General Assembly that would allow school divisions with at least two unaccredited schools to join forces and ask the state for permission to create a charter school to help
- Education bills target virtual learning, student debt, loopholes in Virginia's financial aid system
- > Jan 5, 7:40 AM: Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam, who rolled these proposals out Wednesday with a news conference at the Capitol, said new virtual programs should help students in rural areas where there isn't enough demand for certain courses,
- No IB for middle, high school? Other options emerging
- > Nov 30, 5:55 AM: In the 10 years since James River Elementary officially established the International Baccalaureate Programme, hundreds of students have emerged from the division's only elementary-level school choice program.
- Richmond implementing a costly new plan to turn schools around
- > Aug 19, 6:04 AM: After seeing SOL scores fall an average of 2.6 percent this year, Richmond Schools are starting a district-wide plan to turn things around. However, it’s not yet clear how much these improvements will cost, or who will
- McAuliffe announces second round of high school innovation planning grants
- > Jul 15, 6:11 AM: The Virginia Department of Education will award five additional high school innovation planning grants to divisions that have proposed bold programs aimed at providing their students with innovative approaches to
- Board makes plans for 3 Roanoke schools at risk of being denied accreditation
- Jul 13, 6:27 AM: Roanoke plans to ask the state for permission to reconstitute three elementary schools that scored low enough in reading tests to put them at risk of being denied accreditation.
- Virginia taking steps to implement local and national school initiatives
- Jul 8, 5:43 AM: Officials in Virginia are using the summer months, when the last thing on most kids’ minds is school, to work on developing several national and state education initiatives.
- Parents raise concerns about state of city schools
- > Jun 14, 7:17 AM: During a Martinsville School Board meeting Monday night, Melissa White of Meadowview Lane, who has a child in the school division and another one who is a graduate, voiced her concerns about teacher morale and declines in
- Report on racial disparities in gifted and magnet programs gets strong reaction
- > Jun 2, 5:37 AM: Many Asian American parents worry that potential admissions changes to Montgomery County’s selective academic programs could limit access for their children, while a number of black and Hispanic families have welcomed the
- These 3 high-poverty schools in Norfolk and Virginia Beach are beating the odds. Here's how they're doing it.
- > May 17, 5:34 AM: At high-poverty schools, students often start their days hungry, educators say. Many arrive in kindergarten lacking the language and counting skills that make a strong educational foundation. Without intervention, they can
- McAuliffe vetos three education bills, including school-choice legislation
- Apr 6, 4:56 AM: Gov. Terry McAuliffe vetoed three education bills Tuesday, including a school-choice bill that would have allowed parents to use state money to pay for private schools or home schooling.
- Local schools, associations against 'Virginia Virtual School' bill
- > Apr 1, 6:49 AM: A bill that would establish a "Virginia Virtual School," taking control of students enrolled full-time in online courses out of the hands of local school districts, is currently on the desk of Gov. Terry McAuliffe.
- School board backs away from rezoning proposal tagged by critics as segregation
- > Mar 31, 6:07 AM: The Loudoun County School Board stepped back from a proposal that would have concentrated children from a largely poor, Hispanic neighborhood into two schools after hearing emotional testimony from parents who accused
- Space, money ongoing issues at charter school as applications rise
- > Mar 29, 6:19 AM: Some seven months after the Community Public Charter School took up residence at Murray High School, proponents of the Albemarle County school say the move is not everything they had hoped it would be.
- ‘Virtual school’ in Va.?
- > Mar 25, 6:07 AM: Thousands of public school students in Virginia could have the option of taking all of their classes on a home computer in what is known as a “virtual school” — instead of making the daily trek to a building with bells and
- Bell meets with governor regarding virtual school bill
- Mar 11, 7:08 AM: Delegate Dickie Bell emerged with optimism following a 20-minute meeting Thursday morning with Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Secretary of Education Anne Holton on the delegate's virtual school legislation.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- townhall.com 83%
- Martinsville Bulletin - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- USA Today - Online 0%
- Gazette - Online, The 0%