- How Richmond school officials plan on turning around underperforming schools
- Sep 21, 5:13 AM: With less than half of Richmond public schools gaining full accreditation from the state, school officials are turning to individual plans to help turn around underperforming schools.
- How the Richmond community feels about quality of education in city schools
- Sep 20, 5:38 AM: Fewer than one in five people in the Richmond community approve of the overall quality of education in Richmond Public Schools, according to a survey done by a consulting firm hired by the division.
- Where do Virginia’s Democratic gubernatorial candidates stand on school choice and other education issues?
- Jun 13, 6:30 AM: Governors have a great deal to say about public education in the states they run, but voters don’t often cast their ballots with education as a prime issue.
- Richmond education advocates raise questions about mayor's education compact
- > Jun 8, 6:35 AM: More than a half-dozen advocacy groups asked elected leaders on Wednesday to delay implementing Mayor Levar Stoney’s signature education initiative until a new Richmond Public Schools superintendent is hired.
- Local, state reps rail against votes hurting public schools
- > May 18, 6:03 AM: Local and state Virginia Education Association leaders criticized lawmakers for voting for bills they said could harm public education funding during the Pittsylvania Education Association’s annual meeting Wednesday.
- Governor vetoes Republicans' 'educational choice' legislation
- Mar 27, 5:26 AM: Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Thursday vetoed several bills that Republicans say would have increased school choice but McAuliffe said would have undermined public schools.
- McAuliffe vetoes legislation on charter schools, virtual schools
- > Mar 24, 5:10 AM: Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe Thursday vetoed legislation sponsored in the House of Delegates by Del. Steve Landes that would have allowed the state Board of Education to create regional charter school divisions.
- In York County appearance, governor hopeful Gillespie backs charters, tax cuts
- > Mar 22, 6:35 AM: During his trip, Gillespie promised to back legislation expanding charter schools. York River Academy is one of just nine charters in Virginia due to rules that require local school systems to approve charter schools in
- Va. legislators send governor bill to encourage charters in districts with struggling schools
- > Mar 3, 7:20 AM: Virginia lawmakers have sent a bill to Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) that would ease the creation of charter schools in cities and counties with chronically underperforming schools, an effort to expand the charter movement in a
- Corolla charter school expanding again next year, but still has more applicants than spaces
- > Feb 27, 7:31 AM: Judy and Trinity Yanez hope to get their 8-year-old son, Khalel, into Corolla’s charter school, where students often learn through the Outer Banks environment, whether by catching blue crabs or viewing the ocean from the
- Lawmakers in Virginia pushing for more charter schools
- > Feb 17, 7:33 AM: Several bills are making their way through the General Assembly that would allow school divisions with at least two unaccredited schools to join forces and ask the state for permission to create a charter school to help
- Some lawmakers pushing for more charter schools in Va.
- > Feb 16, 7:39 AM: Several measures are making their way through the General Assembly that would allow school divisions with at least two unaccredited schools to join forces and ask the state for permission to create a charter school to help
- Education bills target virtual learning, student debt, loopholes in Virginia's financial aid system
- > Jan 5, 7:40 AM: Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam, who rolled these proposals out Wednesday with a news conference at the Capitol, said new virtual programs should help students in rural areas where there isn't enough demand for certain courses,
- No IB for middle, high school? Other options emerging
- > Nov 30, 5:55 AM: In the 10 years since James River Elementary officially established the International Baccalaureate Programme, hundreds of students have emerged from the division's only elementary-level school choice program.
- Richmond implementing a costly new plan to turn schools around
- > Aug 19, 6:04 AM: After seeing SOL scores fall an average of 2.6 percent this year, Richmond Schools are starting a district-wide plan to turn things around. However, it’s not yet clear how much these improvements will cost, or who will
- McAuliffe announces second round of high school innovation planning grants
- > Jul 15, 6:11 AM: The Virginia Department of Education will award five additional high school innovation planning grants to divisions that have proposed bold programs aimed at providing their students with innovative approaches to
- Board makes plans for 3 Roanoke schools at risk of being denied accreditation
- Jul 13, 6:27 AM: Roanoke plans to ask the state for permission to reconstitute three elementary schools that scored low enough in reading tests to put them at risk of being denied accreditation.
- Virginia taking steps to implement local and national school initiatives
- Jul 8, 5:43 AM: Officials in Virginia are using the summer months, when the last thing on most kids’ minds is school, to work on developing several national and state education initiatives.
- Parents raise concerns about state of city schools
- > Jun 14, 7:17 AM: During a Martinsville School Board meeting Monday night, Melissa White of Meadowview Lane, who has a child in the school division and another one who is a graduate, voiced her concerns about teacher morale and declines in
- Report on racial disparities in gifted and magnet programs gets strong reaction
- > Jun 2, 5:37 AM: Many Asian American parents worry that potential admissions changes to Montgomery County’s selective academic programs could limit access for their children, while a number of black and Hispanic families have welcomed the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- townhall.com 83%
- Martinsville Bulletin - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- USA Today - Online 0%
- Gazette - Online, The 0%