- Hartland Rep. Calls School Choice Bill ‘Alarming’
- Feb 17, 5:56 AM: About 50 people filled the Hartland Elementary School library on Tuesday night to discuss a bill that would prevent other states from educating Vermont students on the state’s dime.
- Vermont among lowest-scoring states in parent input on schools (CER in the news)
Vermont recently ranked 45th out of the 51 states and Washington D.C. in a report designed to rank states based on how much power parents have over their childrens' education.
Oct 6, 7:20 AM:
- Online H.S. program sees growth
- > Aug 26, 6:49 AM: With the start of school just a few days away, empty desks at Springfield High School will soon be buzzing with students, but just down the hallway, at the Vermont Virtual Learning Cooperative, classes have been going
- Vermont School Districts Consider Consolidation
Old traditional districts now too small to justify costs are considering consolidation. Schools as center of community life fight consolidation, governor recognizes changes must be made.
May 5, 6:55 AM:
- Editorial: Redefine success in school
- May 2, 6:43 AM: Vermonters should be concerned that the state has failed to translate one of the nation’s highest high school graduation rates into a comparable ranking in post-secondary education.
- Burlington mayor calls for change of superintendent
- May 1, 5:38 AM: Mayor Miro Weinberger says he is unable to support the new school budget proposal without additional steps from the School Board — including a change of superintendent.
- New law allows high schoolers to take one free college course
Recent state legislation allows juniors and seniors in high school to take a free college class. As VT falls below national average in percentage of students that move on to higher ed, officials hope this will encourage >
Jul 30, 10:26 AM:
- Vt.gov: Preschool partnership has raised $800,000
Public-private partnership raises funds to provide 100% of VT preschoolers access to quality early-childhood education. Only 70% of 4 year olds have access to Pre-K, a service which drastically improves education >
Jul 12, 9:44 AM:
- Pasco pushes its own eSchool to retain student funding lost to Florida Virtual
One FL district starting its own online summer school in order not to lose funds due to change in law that charges districts to pay out for every student signing up with FL Virtual School. Duke up now between FL Virtual >
Jun 26, 6:07 AM:
- New school choice rules get mixed review
High schoolers in the state can now enroll at any of the 61 schools in the state. But the funding doesn't follow the student, so few districts will accept transfering students. Earth to Burlington: choice without >
Feb 11, 4:36 PM:
- Vt. school boards, officials propose reform
VT groups urge for state education reform. Proposing providing universal preK, more STEM and updating collective bargaining. State has no charter law but no mention of increasing choice options or digital learning even >
Jan 16, 7:09 AM:
- BRSU superintendent discusses goals for schools
Overview of VT district leader's call for improved wireless capabilities so teachers and students can use iPads and other computers system already has but not fully using. Raises questions about costs, but no numbers.>
Nov 19, 12:13 PM:
- A School Distanced From Technology Faces Its Intrusion
School in small-town VT with limited connectivity strives to balance life online with time to reflect and do what's at hand. Students spend semester here from reg HS and are part of discussion about future of >
Nov 8, 6:57 AM:
- Petition calls for re-vote on school closure
After 2 votes that authorized closing of a VT school, petitioners -- again -- seek new vote because some questions are still left unanswered. Impact far-reaching, as is absurdity.
Oct 25, 11:57 AM:
- BSD floats possibility of addition
Bennington (VT) board debating whether to ask residents for tax hike to build addition onto growing elementary school. Includes how much they'd pay. Describes other options to handle space crunch, including paying >
Oct 17, 11:44 AM:
- Barre teachers’ contract signed — finally
Took over a year to negotiate a VT teacher contract and get it to the point of being signed. Hold up over definition of sabbatical leave. Some nitty-gritty of contract. But, no analysis or posing question, "Was it worth >
Oct 12, 4:07 PM:
- BSD considers shuffling grades among schools
Shifting from K-5 model to K-2 and 3-5 on table in one VT district. Principal says schools doing this see special ed #s drop due to pooled resource (research not cited). But real reason may be space problems.>
Oct 5, 12:50 PM:
- SVSU schools offer something new this fall
Overview of new policies, programs and classroom renovations in SVSU. Rundown of principal shuffles and recap of gpa requirement revamp for participating in sports.
Aug 31, 10:57 AM:
- School choice option gone for Monument
VT school fails to make AYP under NCLB for first time, meaning students no longer allowed to transfer there. Kids already there allowed to finish. Not much beyond info on # of past transfer requests.
Aug 30, 5:57 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- BenningtonBanner.com 75%
- Brattleboro Reformer - Online 72%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Deerfield Valley News - Online 0%
- Bennington Banner - Online/Associated Press 17%