- Kingdom turns out in force to speak up for private education
- > Dec 9, 6:45 AM: The State Board of Education this week heard northern Vermonters’ concerns that a proposed set of state rules threatens their long tradition of using public dollars to send students to private high schools.
- Vt. could change rules for private schools
- Dec 7, 6:31 AM: Many parents, teachers, alumni and students from some of Vermont's independent schools are furious with the state board of education.
- Planning starts for new Harwood unified school district
- > Nov 11, 6:34 AM: The time for talking and training is over and things are starting to get real for the recently elected board of the Harwood Unified Union School District — a six-town, seven-school educational entity that will replace the
- New rules 'devastating' for private schools, lawmaker says
- > Nov 2, 4:52 AM: The new rules are for private schools that receive taxpayer dollars through tuition arrangements with local communities. The rules include a mandate that the schools take special education students. In addition, teachers
- Minter, Scott want school choice preserved in consolidations
- Oct 28, 5:08 AM: Vermont's two major party candidates for governor both say they want to preserve school choice in school district consolidations where it could be lost.
- Minter, Scott Seek to Keep School Choice
- Oct 27, 5:03 AM: Vermont’s two major party candidates for governor both say they want to preserve school choice in school district consolidations where it could be lost.
- Burlington School Board reacts to strike vote
- Oct 14, 6:31 AM: The Burlington teachers union announced Thursday afternoon that they have voted to strike, following bitter contract negotiations.
- Act 46 forum becomes pep rally for school choice
- > Oct 14, 4:56 AM: A public forum meant to focus on how Act 46 was affecting private schools and school choice turned into a discussion about how awesome school choice is and how it should be universal so no Vermont student would be denied a
- New state rules could hurt school privatization
- > Sep 16, 4:40 AM: The Vermont State Board of Education is looking to raise the bar for independent schools to receive tax money from districts that offer school choice, which could make it tough to establish a private school in Stowe.
- Act 46: Poverty drives rift between Upper Valley school districts
- > Jul 7, 5:46 AM: A plan to create a regional high school in Windsor has failed to gain traction because parents in wealthier towns don't want to give up school choice and send their students to what is perceived to be a poor town.
- Vernon to vote on leaving Brattleboro Union High School District
- Jul 7, 5:42 AM: Maintaining school choice is the biggest reason, according to Hebert. But there's also keeping local control via a town school board, and managing staff and administration.
- To cut costs and strengthen public schools, Vermont plans massive consolidation
- > Jun 1, 5:13 AM: Vermont is in the midst of the largest reorganization of public schools it has seen in the last 125 years. As many other rural states have already done, Vermont wants to consolidate its many small school districts. But
- Education Agency wins tug-of-war over control of licensing
- > May 5, 6:29 AM: By the time the turf war between the Agency of Education and the Office of Professional Regulation made it to the Senate Finance Committee, their differences over the licensing of speech language pathologists and a study
- Vermont Law Launches Personal Learning Plans for All
- > Apr 19, 6:01 AM: So go just a few of the questions that seventh-graders, ninth-graders and their counselors, teachers, principals and parents all over Vermont are asking of themselves and each other under Act 77. The state Legislature
- Lawmakers talk school choice, mergers
- Apr 8, 5:03 AM: On Thursday, the House School Choice Caucus called for a clarification of Act 46 — the 2015 school district merger law — as it relates to towns that offer school choice.
- Educators see inequalities emerging as new programs roll out
- > Mar 30, 5:39 AM: Flexible pathways (Act 77), universal preschool (Act 166) and the new education governance law (Act 46) have been referred to as the pillars of Vermont's future education system. And while all three have the support of the
- Hartland Wants School Choice, No Matter Cost
- > Nov 6, 5:40 AM: Hartland is considering branching away from Windsor Southeast Supervisory Union to comply with Act 46, the school merger law, because the Vermont State Board of Education decided that school districts can either operate
- School choice issue triggers confusion
- Oct 21, 4:42 AM: Vermonters are accusing the State Board of Education of taking steps to eliminate school choice, while board members say the decision rests not with them, but with local voters.
- Learning Without School: Vermont Students Have New Choices
- > Sep 30, 5:07 AM: Schools across Vermont are trying to figure out how to consolidate services and also expand academic opportunities. As controversy swirls about how to preserve school choice, a growing number of students are choosing
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- BenningtonBanner.com 75%
- Brattleboro Reformer - Online 72%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Deerfield Valley News - Online 0%
- Bennington Banner - Online/Associated Press 17%