- State approves school-choice plan
- > Aug 31, 4:36 AM: The Vermont State Board of Education has approved Rutland Town’s proposal to remain as a standalone school district that preserves the town’s tradition of school choice for its high school students.
- Rochester residents advocate for choice
- Jun 15, 5:43 AM: While writing legislation this year to give school districts more flexibility in complying with Act 46, lawmakers worried the changes might derail local merger conversations already taking place.
- Vermont Lawmakers Want More Say In State Board's New Private School Rules
- Apr 20, 6:00 AM: An education bill that's being debated in the Vermont Statehouse could raise some separation of power issues between the legislative and executive branches.
- Families want more opportunity
- Mar 23, 4:49 AM: More than 80 people filled the Mettawee School gym on Monday night to get misinformation cleared up about the current state of education options in Rupert and Pawlet.
- Statewide school reform stirs creativity, headaches
- > Mar 20, 5:09 AM: Paradee and Foran are among the surprise beneficiaries of a statewide effort in Vermont to “personalize” learning: They are teachers who say that their jobs have become far more rewarding by giving students greater freedom
- Senate panel drops attempt to overhaul education board
- Mar 17, 5:08 AM: The bill, which does not yet have a number, was mostly stripped of language taking away the State Board of Education’s ability to recommend a secretary of education and restructuring the board.
- How Much Oversight Should The State Board Of Education Have Of Independent Schools?
- > Feb 23, 6:11 AM: Last year, about $43 million in public money was spent on private schools by families using school choice in Vermont. Now, the State Board of Education says it wants more oversight on how Vermont's independent schools are
- State board struggles to bring public, private schools together
- > Jan 25, 7:12 AM: Members of the State Board of Education have found some common ground as they consider proposed changes to draft rules for private schools wanting to receive public tuition dollars. But open enrollment and special
- Vermont state board looks to correct `mistakes' in private school rules
- > Jan 12, 5:48 AM: Officials blame the controversy over new private school rules on mistakes made in the drafting process. Ambiguous language, they say, is the source of confusion that has sparked a statewide debate over whether the State
- Lawmakers Question Ethics Of State Board Member's Stance On School Choice
- Jan 4, 7:08 AM: Three state lawmakers say a member of the State Board of Education who wants more oversight of private schools might be receiving payments from national education groups to support that work.
- AG Says Board Of Education Can Write Rules For Private Schools
- Dec 21, 6:52 AM: Vermont's Attorney General says the State Board of Education can set the rules governing the approval process for private schools.
- In Manchester, Hundreds Come Out To Fight Proposed Private School Rules
- Dec 14, 6:38 AM: Vermonters who have school choice are pushing back hard on new rules that the State Board of Education is proposing.
- Kingdom turns out in force to speak up for private education
- > Dec 9, 6:45 AM: The State Board of Education this week heard northern Vermonters’ concerns that a proposed set of state rules threatens their long tradition of using public dollars to send students to private high schools.
- Vt. could change rules for private schools
- Dec 7, 6:31 AM: Many parents, teachers, alumni and students from some of Vermont's independent schools are furious with the state board of education.
- Planning starts for new Harwood unified school district
- > Nov 11, 6:34 AM: The time for talking and training is over and things are starting to get real for the recently elected board of the Harwood Unified Union School District — a six-town, seven-school educational entity that will replace the
- New rules 'devastating' for private schools, lawmaker says
- > Nov 2, 4:52 AM: The new rules are for private schools that receive taxpayer dollars through tuition arrangements with local communities. The rules include a mandate that the schools take special education students. In addition, teachers
- Minter, Scott want school choice preserved in consolidations
- Oct 28, 5:08 AM: Vermont's two major party candidates for governor both say they want to preserve school choice in school district consolidations where it could be lost.
- Minter, Scott Seek to Keep School Choice
- Oct 27, 5:03 AM: Vermont’s two major party candidates for governor both say they want to preserve school choice in school district consolidations where it could be lost.
- Burlington School Board reacts to strike vote
- Oct 14, 6:31 AM: The Burlington teachers union announced Thursday afternoon that they have voted to strike, following bitter contract negotiations.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- BenningtonBanner.com 75%
- Brattleboro Reformer - Online 72%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Deerfield Valley News - Online 0%
- Bennington Banner - Online/Associated Press 17%