- In Vermont, Small Colleges Are Closing
- > May 17, 7:46 AM: As Green Mountain College readied to close its doors after 185 years, students enjoyed one of their final spring days on the pastoral campus, with some carrying kale and cabbage from the school’s organic farm and others
- Eric LaMontagne: Vermont Needs Technical Education
- > May 8, 6:20 AM: There has been a consistent message from the state house this session: we need to grow Vermont’s labor force. Solving a problem of this magnitude, one that may prove to be Vermont’s largest barrier to prosperity, will
- Opinion: Strong higher education sector creates a stronger Vermont
- > Apr 1, 6:56 AM: The recent announcements of college closures highlight the challenges faced by small private colleges in New England and particularly here in Vermont. I’ve seen setbacks like these hit other industries. Over the last two
- Commentary: Administration’s numbers in new ed plan don’t add up
- > Jan 15, 6:50 AM: Past experience with tuition vouchers in Vermont demonstrates that this practice reduces affordability in the education fund and threatens some of our most vulnerable students. Moreover, the few numbers in the
- Administration’s memo envisions single school district for Vermont
- > Jan 11, 6:24 AM: Vermont’s school district consolidation law, Act 46, may have been the state’s most controversial school reform in decades. But an internal government document suggests the state’s top education official believes it hasn’t
- Jeb Spaulding: Education beyond high school matters
- > Nov 14, 7:00 AM: It’s true: Not everyone needs to go to college. But consider this: Over 95 percent of the jobs created since the Great Recession 10 years ago have gone to workers with at least some college education, according to
- Opinion: Unions, teachers: What happens after the Supreme Court decision?
- > Oct 12, 6:52 AM: Putting unions in the position of having to work harder and prove value to their membership, teachers, students and taxpayers will benefit. Unions, if they’re up to the challenge, will benefit too. After all, a membership
- Opinion: Quality must remain the focus as Vermont and other states overhaul special education
- > Oct 10, 7:20 AM: As a Vermonter, I would be proud to see my state emerge as a leader balancing quality and cost containment — and provide a model for the rest of the country to follow. Every student has a right to a quality education, and
- Commentary: Building a cradle-to-career education system
- > Oct 1, 7:17 AM: Working with several partners and stakeholders, the Agency of Education is contributing significantly to Gov. Phil Scott’s vision of a cradle-to-career education system in Vermont. Recent trends show that Vermont’s economy
- Some districts offering school choice after Act 46 unifications
- Aug 1, 4:26 AM: Families in a half dozen districts in Vermont are being given a choice of which school they want their children to attend, in a move that educators say could keep even the smallest schools vital.
- Commentary: New myths around school accountability
- > Jul 5, 4:21 AM: It is disappointing that the critics defending the status quo misunderstand a grass-roots school choice movement, driven by a hunger for accountability, not as its critics suggest, a desire to eliminate accountability.
- Commentary: When school choice isn’t really a choice
- > Jul 3, 5:05 AM: I hear stories about students using their state vouchers to attend prestigious private schools in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and that’s great for them, but please remember that for every perceived success of “choice”
- Commentary: Is the public vs. private education conflict real?
- > Jun 27, 4:39 AM: Some critics question whether allowing school choice and independent schools leads to social and economic inequality. We know the answer, because Vermont has run the school choice experiment for decades: U.S. Census data
- Commentary: All Vermont students should have choices
- > Jun 25, 4:39 AM: I believe in public schools and public education. I have been a school board chair. I have been a volunteer coach for 20 years. My wife teaches at a public school. I am proud of our schools. I am grateful for the steps we
- Senate passes requirement for private schools to enroll special ed students
- > Mar 20, 6:08 AM: Federal law requires public schools to provide a free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment to children with learning disabilities. Whenever possible, these students should go to school with
- School choice advocates tout Vermont tuition voucher program
- Jan 25, 6:53 AM: Hundreds of school-age Vermonters with yellow scarves bustled through the Statehouse Wednesday, staring at paintings and statues of historic Vermont leaders in the Statehouse lobby with wide eyes.
- More Than 350 Attend Governor's Education Summit
- Dec 19, 7:43 AM: More than 350 school superintendents, teachers, school board members and legislators attended Vermont Republican Governor Phil Scott's daylong education summit.
- Private school leaders agree to widen special education access
- > Dec 19, 6:11 AM: Ending a stalemate with public school interests, private school representatives have accepted the principle that special education students should be able to attend any school — private or public — just like their peers.
- Panel fails to break deadlock over private schools' public funding
- > Nov 28, 6:06 AM: A panel with representatives of public and private schools has been unable to iron out differences over special education and financial accountability for independent schools in advance of a legislative deadline.
- Panel fails to break deadlock over private schools’ public funding
- > Nov 27, 5:46 AM: A panel with representatives of public and private schools has been unable to iron out differences over special education and financial accountability for independent schools in advance of a legislative deadline.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- BenningtonBanner.com 75%
- Brattleboro Reformer - Online 72%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Deerfield Valley News - Online 0%
- Bennington Banner - Online/Associated Press 17%