- Would charter schools snap up closed South Bend buildings?
- Nov 20, 8:42 AM: A proposal to close a handful of South Bend schools could reinvigorate the back-burnered plan of a local group that wants to start a charter school here.
- Bilingual education bill would overturn Massachusetts ballot question requiring English immersion classes for non-native speakers
- > Nov 20, 8:40 AM: Many of the state's charter schools have extremely high rates of English Language Learners. For example, three Community Day Charter Schools in Lawrence enroll between 40 percent and 60 percent English Language Learners.
- Nearly one-third of Missouri’s charter schools score in unaccredited or provisionally accredited zone
- > Nov 20, 8:38 AM: The latest annual report cards from the Missouri Education Department show that three Kansas City charter schools have fallen in the unaccredited range and another 12 Missouri charters are provisionally accredited. That’s
- Nevada officials admit funding mistakes hurt school districts
- > Nov 20, 8:11 AM: Now the department is acknowledging that it erred in two calculations that financially affected school districts statewide — one on how much to reimburse for full-day kindergarten programs and another in how much it would
- Poudre School District conditionally approves new charter school
- Nov 20, 7:59 AM: Poudre School District will have a new charter school come August, so long as the school can meet conditions set by the district's governing board this month.
- Faced with losing teachers, Oklahoma school converts to a charter
- > Nov 20, 7:51 AM: But as the school system faced the prospect of losing dozens of its emergency certified teachers who had failed to pass a teaching test within the state-required two year window, the elementary and middle schools were
- Ohio relied on ECOT for data on how much to pay charter school
- > Nov 20, 7:50 AM: When the Ohio Department of Education audited ECOT’s attendance for a second school year last summer, the embattled online charter’s verified attendance went up more than 80 percent, and the amount it was forced to repay
- No longer a simple question: Where are you going to high school?
- > Nov 20, 7:45 AM: It’s November, so school guidance counselors are busy compiling student transcripts with grades, attendance and standardized test scores, as well as proofreading their application essays, so they can enter the schools of
- Lebanon puts brakes on charter idea
- Nov 20, 7:17 AM: The Lebanon School Board isn't discounting the idea of a countywide vocational charter school, but it is going to look at other ways to expand career-technical education, too.
- Sandoval Hoping Next Governor Protects Education Investment
- Nov 20, 7:13 AM: As Nevada's gubernatorial race begins to heat up, current Republican Governor Brian Sandoval says he hopes one key piece of his legacy remains intact for the next administration.
- Accountability a question in Nevada school-choice program
- Nov 20, 6:51 AM: The law creating a tax-credit voucher program for low-income families requires the public reporting of testing data for schools in the initiative every other year starting in 2018.
- Charter school using $1 million grant to expand hours, reach academic goals
- > Nov 20, 6:49 AM: A Hilo-based Hawaiian immersion public charter school received a $1 million federal improvement grant, which will go toward further development of its in-house tests and hopefully boost overall student performance.
- Charter school plans to expand
- > Nov 20, 6:46 AM: The School of Innovation is a technology-rich STEM school that embraces a flexible and blended learning style to promote student success, according to the school's Web page. It's a conversion charter school, meaning it's
- Nine new charter schools apply to open in Philly
- Nov 20, 6:45 AM: The School District of Philadelphia received applications for nine new charter schools that would, if approved, open up more than 7,000 new charter seats.
- Stay-at-home students attend virtual school
- > Nov 20, 6:43 AM: Twenty-five students are currently enrolled in the Virtual Academy, which opened in August. The Virtual Academy is open free of charge to students in sixth, seventh and eighth grade who live in Gaston County. It’s operated
- Bowie will not become a charter school under a grant to transform 8 schools, trustees say
- Nov 20, 6:41 AM: Bowie High School will not be turned over to a charter school manager, trustees for the El Paso Independent School District assured a crowd of concerned parents and community members this week.
- Why Hickenlooper wants to give some charter schools $5.5 million
- > Nov 20, 6:38 AM: The seven-figure ask is part of Hickenlooper’s proposed budget that he sent to lawmakers earlier this month. The money would go to state-approved charter schools in an effort to close a funding gap lawmakers tried to
- Two new charter schools hope to open within Pittsburgh Public
- Nov 20, 6:35 AM: Two new proposed charter schools have applied to open within the boundaries of Pittsburgh Public Schools starting in the 2019-20 school year.
- 2 struggling Indianapolis Public Schools will restart as charter schools
- > Nov 20, 6:19 AM: Wendell Phillips School 63 and Washington Irving School 14 will be the district’s latest to convert to charter schools and join its Innovation Network. After the school board’s vote to convert the schools Thursday night,
- SF education leaders resist efforts to open new charter school
- > Nov 20, 6:16 AM: When the Board of Education on Tuesday unanimously rejected an application for a new KIPP elementary school set to open in the Bayview next school year, hundreds of parent, teacher and student supporters — including Turner
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Dotnews.com 100%
- Irving Rambler 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KUNR 0%
- Cosmopolitan 0%