- New Survey: Nearly Two-Thirds of Americans Support School Choice
- Jan 19, 8:11 AM: The American Federation for Children has just released its fourth annual National School Choice poll, and the results should be heartening for supporters of education reform and school choice.
- Democratic Lawmakers: Fight To Close Achievement Gap Must Go On
- > Jan 19, 7:31 AM: Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy says the State Supreme Court decision on the state’s landmark education funding case should not stop policymakers from continuing to look for ways to close the achievement gap.
- Sponsor votes to shut online school after state rejects settlement offer
- Jan 19, 7:29 AM: The sponsor of the ECOT online charter school voted Thursday evening to close the school despite parents and teachers begging to keep the school open for the rest of the year.
- Charter school parents sound off
- Jan 19, 7:29 AM: State Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff and several other panelists came under fire from charter school advocates during a forum Thursday evening on changes Connecticut’s Education Cost Sharing formula.
- House OKs charter school millage split
- > Jan 19, 7:16 AM: Revenue from new or renewed regional enhancement education millages would be shared with charter schools under a bill approved Thursday by the Michigan House despite protestations from Democrats who argued it would siphon
- Michigan exploring whether tax overhaul creates state deduction for private school tuition
- > Jan 19, 7:09 AM: Michigan offers two state-sponsored 529 savings plans. But as of now, just one - the Michigan Education Savings Program - is eligible to be used to cover private school tuition, according to the Michigan Department of
- Mayor wants Murphy administration to review charter school expansion decision
- > Jan 19, 7:09 AM: Mayor Liz Lempert said Monday that the Murphy administration should review a decision by the state Department of Education allowing the Princeton Charter School to add more students, and urged a “freeze” on future
- Teachers union skeptical of Ball State governance of Muncie schools
- Jan 19, 6:56 AM: The head of the Muncie Teachers Association on Thursday expressed doubts about a proposed state law to give Ball State University the power to appoint the majority of Muncie Community School Board members.
- Task force recommends St. Louis public schools return to local control … eventually
- Jan 19, 6:56 AM: A task force on the future governance of St. Louis’ public schools says control of the district should eventually return to local, democratic oversight, but members struggled to agree on much else.
- Poughkeepsie could get charter school
- Jan 19, 6:54 AM: The City of Poughkeepsie could get a charter school - the first in Dutchess County - under a new plan the community can hear about on Friday.
- The highest-paid public school teacher in Oklahoma makes $106,324. Her charter school is hiring.
- > Jan 19, 6:52 AM: The state’s largest virtual charter school is now using the draw of pay ranging from $64,000 on average up to more than $106,000 for its highest earners to lure applicants to keep pace with its staggering student
- Hopson weighs charters as school turnaround tool for Shelby County Schools
- Jan 19, 6:46 AM: Superintendent Dorsey Hopson has opened a crack in the door to charter school partnerships that might help his district avoid losing more schools to Tennessee’s turnaround district.
- Portable classrooms or renovated barn? School board eyes charter school building options
- > Jan 19, 6:42 AM: The board discussed the barn renovation idea at length Monday night, after board member Michael Huffman said he’d run some very preliminary numbers that show refurbishing the barn as classroom space might cost about the
- Report shows impact of transfers, vouchers on MCCSC, R-BB
- Jan 19, 6:15 AM: More than 1,000 Monroe County students attend a school outside of the public school district in which they reside, according to a report released from the Indiana Department of Education.
- Proposed legislation targets charter school board conflicts
- > Jan 19, 6:00 AM: Currently, nothing prohibits a charter school employee from sitting on the school’s board of trustees. That’s in stark contrast to what’s allowed at traditional public schools, where state law has strict prohibitions
- House panel suggests some school voucher changes
- > Jan 19, 5:47 AM: Florida private schools that take state vouchers would face new rules — but remain free to hire teachers without college degrees — under draft legislation discussed briefly Thursday by the Florida House education
- District opposes Senate voucher program bill
- > Jan 19, 5:43 AM: Citing the potential to lose considerable amounts of basic education subsidy, the Mifflin County School District Board of Directors on Thursday adopted a resolution in opposition of Senate Bill 2, which proposes to
- Jan. 21-27 is Arkansas School Choice Week
- Jan 18, 8:05 AM: Gov. Hutchinson has officially proclaimed Jan. 21-27 as Arkansas School Choice Week, joining dozens of other governors and hundreds of city and county leaders nationwide.
- District 25 eliminates school-of-choice policy, tables changes to boundaries
- Jan 18, 8:03 AM: Rather than giving students an option, all incoming high school students — starting next year — must attend the school that corresponds to the boundary where their primary residence is located.
- Federal audit finds problems with California's graduation rate calculations
Among the graduates, California officials incorrectly counted students who “transferred to programs that did not lead to a regular high school diploma.” Leaving them out, auditors said, would lower the state’s graduation >
Jan 18, 7:50 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Dotnews.com 100%
- Irving Rambler 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- The Florida-Times Union 0%
- KVOA 0%