- $20M to help fund new Great Hearts charter school
- May 26, 7:06 AM: Great Hearts Academies, a charter-school network with roughly two dozen sites in Arizona and Texas, plans to open a new campus in Maryvale in 2018.
- Judge Says NYC Charter School Serving the Disabled Can Stay Open Despite Test Results
- May 26, 6:56 AM: All grades of a Harlem charter school focused on children with disabilities will stay open for the 2017-18 academic year, despite New York City’s efforts to shut its middle school for poor performance on state tests.
- OPSB opens online school to recapture students, MFP money
- > May 26, 6:51 AM: The Ouachita Parish School Board set in motion a plan Tuesday to open an online school, or virtual academy, to stem the loss of state funding, which occurs when parish students attend virtual charter schools instead of traditional
- Charter school criticized for mismanagement
- > May 26, 6:49 AM: PUC Achieve Charter School in northeast Rochester rang up a $470,000 operating deficit in its first year, while its board members and local employees had ceded control of the finances to its national operator, according to an audit
- IPS to absorb high-performing charter schools
- May 26, 6:47 AM: After several months of debate, the IPS School Board voted Thursday evening to admit Riverside High School and Herron High School as Innovation charter schools.
- Kicked out of a charter school? Deal struck in Sacramento on bill spelling out your rights
- May 26, 6:45 AM: Parents who believe their child is being "counseled out" of a charter school in California could soon have the right to request a hearing to challenge the student's removal.
- House budget outlines sharp differences with Senate
- > May 26, 6:29 AM: Funding for the Opportunity Scholarships school voucher program would expand, but students who use the vouchers to attend a private or religious school would have to take a standardized test, and state officials would study the
- Hearing could lead to closure of Nevada online charter school
- May 26, 6:20 AM: Nevada Connections Academy was first put on notice in September that the authority would consider closing it because of poor graduation rates.
- Cape charters score among highest on Florida Standards test
- May 26, 6:19 AM: The city of Cape Coral's two municipal elementary schools are among Lee County's highest scoring public schools on the third grade Florida Standards Assessment English Language Arts test.
- Eastburg school board opposes charter school bill
- > May 26, 6:17 AM: On Monday, the East Stroudsburg school board adopted two resolutions on charter school reform. One calls for a massive overhaul of charter school funding practices. The other opposes House Bill 97, a draft reform currently
- What happens when 46 students leave a Wilmington charter school?
- > May 26, 6:10 AM: Douglass started the year with 236 students but has seen 46 disenroll -- about 19.5 percent of the student body. Almost all of those students returned to traditional county schools. In fact, the district saw more returnees from
- Colorado to give charter schools ‘equal’ share of local public education funds
- May 26, 5:51 AM: In a move with little national precedent, the Colorado legislature approved a bill this month that requires school districts to share money raised from local tax increases with charter schools.
- Philly’s Del Val Charter school could close in June
- May 26, 5:49 AM: Nearly 500 students who attend Delaware Valley Charter High School in Logan may have to start looking for new schools for the fall.
- Offering a new choice for K-8 students
- May 26, 5:47 AM: Collier Charter Academy, opening in August on Immokalee Road, gives students a choice other than traditional public school education.
- Education Groups Block Legislation to Fortify School Choice in Alabama
- > May 26, 5:28 AM: In 2013, Alabama passed a school choice plan called the Alabama Accountability Act, which allows low-income students to apply for scholarships to attend better schools, including private schools. As Senate President Pro Tem Del
- Vouchers and ESAs, what this means on Delmarva
- May 26, 5:23 AM: Here on Delmarva, the only school vouchers available is through the Boost program, in Maryland. It's a small voucher system that awards scholarships to low income students, on a first come first serve basis.
- Embattled Livermore charter schools get emergency funding to keep doors open
- > May 26, 5:20 AM: Two Livermore charter schools that have been rocked by plunging enrollment, bankruptcy and allegations of mismanagement and possible criminal wrongdoing said this week they will be able to keep their doors open through the end of
- Trump’s Budget Disappoints Many School Choice Advocates Too (CER in the news)
- > May 25, 7:02 AM: If there's a clear winner in President Trump's proposed budget for K-12 education, it's school choice. With steep cuts outlined for many cornerstone K-12 programs, the president, as expected wants to boost investments in charter
- Betsy DeVos Refuses to Rule Out Giving Funds to Schools That Discriminate
- > May 25, 6:59 AM: Betsy DeVos, the education secretary, on Wednesday fiercely defended budget plans to spend $1.4 billion on the Trump administration’s expanded school choice agenda, but refused to say whether her office would withhold funds from
- School choice supporters downplay new voucher research, saying schools are more than a test score
- May 25, 6:30 AM: At this week’s gathering of school choice supporters, there was an awkward fact in their midst: A wave of new studies had shown that students receiving a voucher did worse, sometimes much worse, on standardized tests.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Dotnews.com 100%
- Irving Rambler 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Dickinson Press 0%
- Sequim Gazette 0%