- Education advocates spar over DeVos’ school choice agenda (CER in the news)
- Jul 25, 7:49 AM: There isn't much of a consensus on whether school choice policies, specifically voucher programs, are effective or not.
- Black Education Leaders Slam Teachers Union For Comparing School Choice To Segregation
- Jul 25, 7:49 AM: Black school choice advocates and education reformers criticized a teachers union president who compared school choice to segregation during a conference call Monday.
- American Federation of Teachers President Under Fire
- Jul 25, 7:48 AM: American Federation of Teachers president Randi Weingarten, the head of the 1.6 million member teachers union, is under fire for controversial remarks linking private school choice to racial segregation.
- SOUL charter school lands in Solana Beach
- > Jul 25, 7:34 AM: The San Dieguito Union High School District’s first charter school, the School of Universal Learning (SOUL), has finally found its home. SOUL will open for its first day of school on Aug. 29 at the Boys & Girls Clubs of San Dieguito
- In a twist, nearly half of Seattle School Board District 4 hopefuls have no kids
- Jul 25, 7:31 AM: Three of the seven candidates in the race for the District 4 seat on the Seattle School Board don’t have children. Parent Eden Mack, however, is the front-runner.
- Judge Sides With State On Charter School Standards
- > Jul 25, 7:16 AM: Rejecting arguments of charter schools, an administrative law judge Friday upheld a plan that would make charter schools ineligible for state construction and facilities money if they have “D” performance grades in two consecutive
- 2 new charter schools bring total to 19 in Newark
- Jul 25, 6:59 AM: Two new charter schools are coming to the city this fall -- boosting the number of independently-managed public schools in Newark to 19.
- Design Lab charter modified; founder leaves leadership post
- > Jul 25, 6:54 AM: Massett, who assisted Alvarez in her efforts to secure a charter for Design-Lab four years ago and who is familiar with the modification request, described the situation as “normal growing pains, what happens when moving from
- School claims DOE illegally denied them additional seats
- Jul 25, 6:46 AM: The Department of Education is illegally denying a Downtown Brooklyn charter-school operator space in nearby district buildings — even though they’re filled with hundreds of unused seats, according to the school.
- Sarasota district turns attention to charter rated as “D”
- > Jul 25, 6:36 AM: As the only Title 1 charter school in the Sarasota County school district, Suncoast School for Innovative Studies (SSIS) will face some hard questions about why it earned a D rating from the Florida Department of Education in
- Lawmaker calls for change spurred by embroiled Livermore charter school failure
- > Jul 25, 6:13 AM: He said existing charter school oversight law is reactive instead of proactive. He plans on working in the coming months to address these issues to avoid “the tremendous devastation” suffered by students and families of
- How Colorado could see more “blended learning,” combining online courses and traditional
- Jul 25, 6:08 AM: A new guide released Monday seeks to help Colorado schools successfully introduce blending learning, a growing practice combining traditional classroom instruction with online coursework.
- Gov. Matt Bevin’s advisory council on charter schools gets into the nitty gritty
- Jul 25, 6:03 AM: Calling it a "historic day," Kentucky's education commissioner on Monday hailed the first meeting of an advisory council that was created to provide recommendations on how charter schools operate in the Bluegrass State.
- Charter school commission wants budget details from group focused on inmates
- Jul 25, 5:54 AM: Members of the Alabama Public Charter School Commission on Monday praised the concept of a school focused on young jail inmates around the state and agreed there is a need.
- Rauner: Special sessions for school funding start Wednesday
- > Jul 25, 5:45 AM: Pressure is building to resolve the issue because no state money is available for K-12 education unless a new school funding formula is put in place. Both Republicans and Democrats agree the current formula is flawed and that a new
- Missouri aims for more equitable way to grade public schools
- Jul 25, 5:37 AM: Test scores are the single most important factor in how Missouri judges its public schools. But that wasn’t always the case.
- Senate approves bills on “private school choice” and school finance study
- Jul 25, 5:20 AM: The Texas Senate tentatively passed legislation Monday to subsidize private school tuition and a bill to study the system for funding public schools — two of six bills the upper chamber discussed Monday.
- AFT’s Randi Weingarten blasts school-choice reforms as ‘polite cousins of segregation’ (CER in news)
School’s out, but the battle between the teachers’ unions and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over school choice isn’t taking a summer break. Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers president, argued in a fiery speech >
Jul 24, 7:58 AM:
- ‘It Gave Us a Choice When We Didn’t Have One’: Private School Choice Participants
- Jul 24, 7:57 AM: Private school choice was among the only education pledges made by President Donald Trump on the campaign trail and has been a decades-long focus of advocacy by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.
- Critics of vouchers say they’re marred by racism and exacerbate segregation. Are they right?
- > Jul 24, 7:55 AM: "If vouchers are the polite cousins of segregation, then most urban school districts are segregation’s direct descendants,” responded Kevin Chavous of the American Federation for Children, the school voucher group that U.S.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Dotnews.com 100%
- Irving Rambler 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Rancho Santa Fe Review 0%
- Charlotte Agenda 0%