- Outside consultants poised to take over as many as 10 local public schools
- > Mar 23, 7:06 AM: Districts were given a short menu of options that included closing the schools or creating district-run charters, essentially a hybrid between traditional public schools and those run by private management companies. They
- At Success Academy Charter School, Stretching Comes With Growing Pains
Ms. Moskowitz aims to expand Success Academy to roughly 100 schools in a decade, up from the 46 schools now serving 15,500 students. Most of the existing schools are elementary; there are only two high schools. Under her >
Mar 23, 7:01 AM:
- Banking on city cash, Philly school district introduces $3.2B budget
- > Mar 23, 6:47 AM: The bulk of the increase to the district’s budget, however, comes in other areas: from increases in payments to charter schools (by $79 million, to nearly $984 million), debt service (by $25 million, to $301 million),
- Ohio Senate backs change in teacher evaluations over Cleveland objections
- > Mar 23, 6:41 AM: The Ohio Senate voted Wednesday to drastically change how test scores are used to rate teachers -- a shift that teachers applaud but which is drawing some complaints from Cleveland, the school district that uses the
- Column: STEMCivics expands after state renews charter school license
- > Mar 23, 6:36 AM: Approximately 100 students will walk in June as STEMCivics celebrates a positive four-year run since opening its doors in September 2014. STEMCivics recently enjoyed another milestone as state officials renewed the
- Millage proposals wouldn't have to list schools that would get funds
- > Mar 23, 6:29 AM: But Democrats were infuriated that the bill was withholding pertinent information from voters, such as which charter schools are for-profit entities. Charter schools receive public tax dollars but are run by private
- Charter school partners with TAMUSA for early college high school program
- > Mar 23, 6:06 AM: Starting this fall, students at the charter network’s Northwest campus will be able to begin earning up to 60 credit hours toward a four-year college degree while directly attending classes on the university’s campus. By
- Commentary: Nevada’s Opportunity Scholarships a win for students and taxpayers alike
- > Mar 23, 5:55 AM: According to the study, each time a student is awarded an Opportunity Scholarship financed by Modified Business Tax credits, the state realizes a net savings in education spending. These savings accrue proportionately to
- Letter: Where’s the money for voucher bill?
- > Mar 23, 5:40 AM: Thank you Mary Wilke (Monitor Forum, March 17) for pointing out what the latest reality of the proposed Senate Bill 193 or “Education Savings Accounts” bill really means for each town in New Hampshire.
- Two more neighborhood schools are consolidated as Dallas ISD moves forward on new school choice options
- > Mar 23, 5:36 AM: The consolidations were done in tandem with creating new specialized schools at the existing facilities. After moving its students and some of its current staff, including a popular principal, to nearby Maple Lawn
- Tensions flare between Louisiana lawmakers during charter school debate
- Mar 23, 5:27 AM: In a session already marred by short tempers, two lawmakers Thursday engaged in a heated racial exchange over a bill that would impose a moratorium on charter schools.
- Parkinson to Introduce Bill Phasing Out State’s Achievement School District
- > Mar 23, 5:22 AM: Rep. Antonio Parkinson is set to make a push to remove Memphis schools from the state’s Achievement School District and dissolve the state district because of its failure to pull them out of Tennessee’s bottom 5 percent
- District, charter school explore unprecedented merger
- Mar 23, 5:15 AM: As the Hopkins School District aims to expand its language immersion program, district leaders have turned to a charter school within its boundaries toexplore an unprecedented merger in Minnesota.
- Restart schools eye more flexibility
- > Mar 23, 5:12 AM: As River Road Middle School and Pasquotank Elementary School near the three-quarter mark of their first year under the “restart” school reform model, both are eyeing changes to staffing and school organization for next
- Proposal encouraging district-charter school competition moves closer to ballot
- > Mar 23, 5:08 AM: A proposal to loosen requirements on the state's highest-performing school districts so they can better compete with charter schools moved forward Wednesday, putting it one step closer to being on the ballot in November.
- Would charter school funding proposal hurt public schools? Senate plan sparks debate.
- Mar 23, 4:57 AM: Word that the Kentucky Senate had proposed a mechanism to fund charter schools after the current method expires in June drew strong reactions on social media and among lawmakers this week.
- Opinion: ASU students should get active in school choice initiatives
- > Mar 23, 4:54 AM: School of choice and Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESAs) are controversial subjects that have divided political parties for several years. In Arizona, personal choice in education is a huge issue, and the benefits that
- Hernando charter school group reapplies with revised plan
- Mar 23, 4:39 AM: The group behind a charter school application withdrawn last year amid criticism by Hernando County school officials has reapplied with a revised plan to be reconsidered next month.
- Iowa Senate advances bill for state grants to private school students
- > Mar 23, 4:34 AM: Legislation to provide state grants of about $4,000 annually to students enrolling in private schools moved forward Thursday in the Iowa Senate, despite criticism it would hurt public education and result in taxpayer
- Congress rejects much of Betsy DeVos’s agenda in spending bill
- > Mar 22, 7:08 AM: Congress dealt a blow to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’s school choice agenda in a tentative spending bill released late Wednesday, rejecting her attempt to spend more than $1 billion promoting choice-friendly policies
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Dotnews.com 100%
- Irving Rambler 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Sun This Week 0%
- The Post Searchlight 0%