- Will controversy over Florida's school voucher program halt efforts in Texas?
- > Oct 31, 5:39 AM: But freedom from such oversight is what supporters of vouchers programs want in Texas. They say vouchers would give schools the flexibility to help students -- particularly kids with special needs -- get the education that
- IDEA opening new schools as enrollment drops for some public schools
- > Oct 26, 5:01 AM: Starting next school year parents will have more choices for where they can send their child to learn. IDEA Public Schools will open four new schools for the 2018-2019 school year, IDEA Academy and College Prep
- Dallas ISD superintendent tries different tactic than Houston to avoid state takeover
- > Oct 23, 5:45 AM: Staring down the same threat of state intervention as Houston ISD, the superintendent of Dallas ISD wants to close two chronically failing campuses and convert two to charter schools, the Dallas Morning News reported.
- Will Dallas ISD turn to charter schools to avoid the state's accountability hammer?
- Oct 18, 5:08 AM: Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa wants to close down two schools and convert two others to charter schools to avoid harsh punishment from the state for their poor performance.
- Controversial turnaround plans approved for 27 HISD schools
- > Oct 13, 6:09 AM: Houston ISD trustees voted Thursday night to approve campus turnaround plans for 27 of the district's struggling schools as it seeks to avoid a state takeover or school closures triggered by low performance at some of
- CREEED has raised $20M. At least half will go to charters.
- Oct 10, 5:39 AM: Leaders of an El Paso charitable organization announced Monday that they have raised $20 million to boost educational attainment in the area.
- Texas Allows State Funding For Charter School Properties And Facilities
- Oct 9, 6:15 AM: For the first time ever in Texas, charter schools will begin receiving state funding for leasing and maintain their properties and facilities, reports The Texas Tribune.
- Federal grant sets Longview ISD on new path
- > Oct 9, 5:18 AM: The grant, part of the Department of Education's magnet schools assistance program, will help establish five magnet schools within Longview ISD, an effort that would be the next step in desegregating the district while
- Millions in taxpayer dollars pour into Texas charter schools as their growth skyrockets
- > Oct 6, 6:25 AM: Millions in new federal funding is adding major firepower to the charter school invasion sweeping through Texas, and now some traditional public school districts are looking to partner with the independent educators they
- Federal dollars to fuel IDEA charter school expansion across Texas
- Oct 6, 5:04 AM: IDEA Public Schools plans to construct 10 new schools in San Antonio and dozens more across Texas, an ambition now made possible by a $67 million boost from the U.S. Education Department.
- In historic win, charters getting state funding for facilities for the first time
- > Oct 5, 6:39 AM: For the first time in Texas, charter schools will receive funding from the state to pay for leasing and maintaining buildings and facilities. That has charter advocates excited — and their critics furious.
- Third Ward charter school abruptly closes, leaving parents and students in shock
- > Oct 2, 5:45 AM: About 200 students were expected to attend the Houston campus of Zoe Learning Academy, but roughly 50 of them were displaced by Hurricane Harvey, Rose said. State officials had pledged to provide additional funding to
- Austin School Expo gives parents a glimpse at various schooling options
- > Oct 2, 5:01 AM: The Austin School Expo is an annual event that offers parents a chance to explore different schooling options for their kids. The expo will provide free information about different day cares, homeschooling groups,
- Charter school parents allege fees inaccurately represented, demand refunds
- Sep 29, 6:02 AM: A Houston charter school system has more than doubled the dollar amount of certain fees collected since 2012, but there are questions about whether those fees were accurately represented to parents.
- Hunt foundation donates $12 million to CREEED to boost charter schools, teacher education
- > Sep 27, 6:05 AM: The Hunt Family Foundation is donating $12 million to the Council on Regional Economic Expansion and Educational Development, or CREEED — marking the largest donation the organization has received to date, the groups said
- El Paso’s charter school boom
- Sep 26, 6:15 AM: Although charter schools – schools that are publicly funded but privately run – have expanded rapidly in Texas and other parts of the country, the movement has been slow to catch on in El Paso.
- Harmony School of Innovation holds grand opening
- Sep 25, 5:23 AM: Students, parents, school officials and community leaders attended a ribbon-cutting ceremony Friday to celebrate the Harmony School of Innovation’s grand opening.
- IDEA breaks ground on El Paso charter school
- Sep 12, 5:39 AM: IDEA Public Schools, a fast-growing Texas charter school network, broke ground Thursday on its first El Paso campus.
- As students return to schools on Monday, the future of Houston ISD hangs in the balance
- > Sep 11, 6:55 AM: In Houston ISD, about 80 of 280 schools will likely not start the school year until Sept. 18 or 25, giving workers more time to complete repairs. Students at nine of these schools will be relocated to other campuses,
- Charter schools become popular choice in San Antonio
- Sep 8, 6:08 AM: Grade school campuses that don't belong to local public or private schools are popping up all over San Antonio. Tuition-free charter schools are becoming a popular choice for families in San Antonio.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%