- The TEA says it doesn’t have to tell citizens about the people it is placing in power over local school districts
- > Jan 22, 7:07 AM: The Texas Education Agency, already facing a lawsuit over its takeover of the Houston school district, drew more questions this week for its claim that audits it says it is conducting in some districts allow it to withhold
- Editorial: More proof higher ed is a smart choice
- Jan 21, 6:26 AM: The escalating cost of tuition and the prospect of low-paying jobs initially after college have some families questioning the value of a degree for their high school graduates.
- Commentary: Better education in Texas means flexibility and teaching critical thinking
- > Jan 17, 9:30 AM: Better education means a stronger emphasis on a flexible curriculum. We need to give schools and teachers the ability to find the sources and methods that work best for their kids. One size certainly does not fit all.
- Teachers turn to Texas Supreme Court in latest attempt to battle Dallas’ merit-based pay system
- > Jan 17, 8:37 AM: A Dallas teachers group that says DISD’s merit-based evaluation system amounts to pay cuts for many has asked the Texas Supreme Court to force the state’s education commissioner to rehear the group’s grievance.
- Character key at proposed charter school
A proposed charter school in the area that would provide a classical education with an emphasis on developing wisdom and virtue is an appealing prospect for the parents who attended a recent informational session. The >
Jan 17, 7:34 AM:
- Texas education officials weigh new rules to fast-track charter school expansion
- > Jan 15, 7:29 AM: Amid protests from teachers groups and public school advocates, Texas education officials are rewriting the state's rules for approving new charter schools in order to speed up the process and allow some charter operators
- Charter school growth could put 'enormous pressure' on Austin ISD's budget
- Jan 14, 7:45 AM: Charter schools are taking a toll on Austin ISD's wallet, according to a new budget analysis the school board discussed Monday night.
- Opinion: A Texas-sized challenge — schools need to improve outcomes for students with disabilities
- > Jan 10, 6:35 AM: In the world of special education advocacy, Texas has a reputation — and it’s not a good one. For years the Texas Education Agency has systematically denied public school students with disabilities access to the education
- State judge temporarily blocks Texas from taking over Houston school district
- Jan 9, 7:11 AM: Texas will not be able to seize power of Houston ISD's school board until the state judge issues a final ruling on the lawsuit challenging the takeover.
- Austin-area universities see boom in online enrollment
- > Jan 9, 7:08 AM: Joseph TenBarge, the University of Texas’ assistant dean for instructional technology and facilities, runs something similar to a live TV studio. There are cameras, producers and even sometimes a “live studio audience.
- City of Marlin to consider pursuing charter school if state closes district
- > Jan 7, 7:53 AM: The Marlin City Council on Tuesday will consider hiring a consultant to study the possibility of applying with the state for a city-operated charter school in case the embattled Marlin Independent School District is
- Texas Education Agency unveils 'Do Not Hire' teacher registry
- Jan 7, 6:37 AM: The registry tells district leaders if an applicant is eligible for hire or if they're under investigation for any kind of misconduct. If they are, by law, the district cannot hire them.
- DFW company wants to change education for students of color
- > Dec 27, 9:03 AM: Veal said that while students of color make up the majority of public schools around the country, around 80 percent of staff are white. This creates an environment in which students lack role models that look like them or
- San Antonio’s troubled Rodriguez Elementary School is converting to Montessori and dual language
- > Dec 26, 8:54 AM: But parents of young children all over Bexar County now can apply to attend the new Rodriguez, which the San Antonio Independent School District will reopen in August as a Montessori magnet elementary school with an
- HISD at a crossroads: Looming state takeover presents rare opportunity [Editorial]
- > Dec 26, 7:25 AM: Now, as the Texas Education Agency prepares to appoint a board of managers to replace HISD’s elected trustees, Doyle-Madrid hopes crisis will turn into opportunity — and that the state intervention will serve as a wake-up
- For changing public education for low-income kids, IDEA Public Schools co-founders Tom Torkelson and JoAnn Gama are Texan of the Year finalists
- > Dec 26, 7:22 AM: For their courage to imagine better schools, and their enduring belief that every child deserves a great education, we proudly name IDEA Public Schools co-founders Tom Torkelson and JoAnn Gama finalists for Texan of the
- > Dec 17, 8:01 AM: Jefferson County Commissioners made the right decision last week to authorize a tax-exempt financing agreement that will allow the Bob Hope School to receive $15 million for expansions and repairs along with a new high
- Flight canceled: IDEA charter school nixes plan to lease private jet
- > Dec 17, 7:04 AM: Texas’ largest charter school network abruptly grounded its plan to spend millions of dollars leasing and operating a private jet Monday, hours after the Houston Chronicle and a state teachers union raised questions about
- Editorial: Dallas ISD is creating more choice for parents.
- Dec 12, 7:08 AM: The path forward for Dallas’ children is education, and we owe it to them to offer the best educational options in the best facilities that we can provide.
- Charter school donates car to grandmother who walks to work everyday
- > Dec 11, 7:58 AM: In light of the giving season, a charter school is giving back to one of their families. Kathie Loshbough is raising her three grandchildren. Each morning she drops one off at daycare, one at Condra Charter School and one
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%