- Letter: Every student deserves to be college ready
- > Aug 20, 5:11 AM: Let’s look at the success of IDEA Public Schools, where students are graduating at a rate more than four times the national average for low-income students. Quality public charter schools such as IDEA, where I’m a school
- Dallas ISD has become a great choice for parents, but navigating the schools can be daunting
- > Aug 17, 4:44 AM: Dallas ISD now offers an incredibly diverse set of school choices with many of the state's best teachers providing high-quality public education for its students, and it comes at a perfect time. As living in Dallas becomes
- YES Prep charter school opens in Cy-Fair
- > Aug 16, 5:50 AM: The newest school, at 14741 Yorktown Plaza Drive near Jersey Village, starts classes on Thursday Aug. 16, after a half-week orientation period for students. Its opening marks the 18th YES Prep location in the Houston
- Houston ISD interim leader: District open to charter partnerships for 2019-20
- > Aug 14, 7:09 AM: If four chronically low-performing Houston ISD schools all stave off severe sanctions this week by meeting state academic standards, HISD administrators will consider charter partnership arrangements at schools in danger
- Controversial SAISD-charter partnership opens to students
- > Aug 14, 5:49 AM: SAISD leaders had argued the partnership was necessary to save the school from closure under a state law, effective this summer, that requires the state education commissioner to either close a school that has failed to
- Fast-growing charter school network making Houston inroads
- > Aug 13, 6:50 AM: Six years after opening its first campus, IL Texas, as it commonly is known, quietly has joined the ranks of the state’s largest charter operators, ballooning from about 2,500 students in the Dallas area to nearly 20,000
- New School Year, New Management For San Antonio ISD’s Stewart Elementary
- > Aug 13, 5:33 AM: Every school year brings changes. New teachers. New classmates. But the school year, which began Monday, brought more changes than usual for the students at Stewart Elementary. While their school continues to be a part of
- Committee hearings on teacher compensation and charter school expansion
- Aug 10, 7:38 AM: Louis Malfaro, Texas AFT president, commented on the Texas House Public Education Committee’s hearings on teacher pay and charter schools:
- Editorial: Are dual-credit courses helping poor, minority students in Texas?
The report found that the programs have barely moved the needle on college enrollment and performance. In addition, minority and low-income students are less likely to enroll in the courses and more apt to struggle with >
Aug 10, 6:59 AM:
- Opinion: Essential indicators for success in online schools
- > Aug 10, 5:12 AM: She admits she was apprehensive at first. "We kind of stepped into it slowly, not sure what we were getting into but once we really got into it, we realized it really does work well for our family," she said.
- Charter schools see big enrollment gains in Central Texas
- Aug 8, 6:56 AM: Charter schools continue their rapid expansion in Central Texas, and likely will enroll 30,000 students in dozens of campuses this school year.
- Houston mayor salutes student apprentices at TRIO Pre-Apprenticeship Partnership Day
- > Aug 7, 5:12 AM: The mayor recognized TRIO Electric and its education partners, especially Spring Branch ISD and HCC, for creating an effective pre-apprenticeship program that prepares students for skilled workforce jobs in the electrical
- Bilingual charter school coming to Beaumont
- > Aug 3, 6:50 AM: Parents in Beaumont are excited for an opportunity for their children to learn at a new bilingual charter school in Beaumont. The Bob Hope school is under construction but it will open on August 27 for the beginning of
- New charter school has first board meeting
- Aug 3, 5:45 AM: Curriculum plans, a master schedule that will save the campus money and a new attitude were just some of the items discussed at the first board meeting of Ector College Prep Success Academy.
- As under-enrollment trend continues, AISD searches for ways to keep kids and money in district
- Aug 2, 5:15 AM: A combination of low birth rates, lack of affordable housing, and competition from private and charter schools are the main drivers of decreasing student populations.
- Editorial: How a positive school leadership culture can improve student performance
- > Aug 1, 5:04 AM: One of the toughest challenges for any organization is to develop a culture of effective leadership. That is especially true in public education, whose deeply embedded pedagogy often resists change. Many schools — even the
- As demand rises, charters open new schools in San Antonio
- > Aug 1, 4:34 AM: Despite the continued growth of charter schools across San Antonio, newly released data shows that demand is so high for seats at several high-profile charter networks that thousands are remaining on wait lists.
- Texans Can Academies offer their students counseling services
- Jul 25, 6:46 AM: Texans Can Academies hope to help their students facing depression, high stress and other issues by providing a 24/7 confidential counseling hotline and access to free off-campus counseling appointments.
- Report: Charter school demand skyrockets in San Antonio
- Jul 23, 6:35 AM: A new report by Families Empowered says nearly 40,000 families applied to three of San Antonio's charter school networks.
- HISD leaders optimistic about avoiding sanctions after schools post big gains
- > Jul 19, 5:52 AM: Several of Houston ISD’s longest-struggling elementary and middle schools posted significant gains on state standardized tests in 2018, including all three campuses that must meet Texas academic standards this year to
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%