- ‘It allows us to dream big:’ The fastest growing college in Texas fills a gap by focusing on homegrown students
- > Aug 27, 7:54 AM: Since Mong’s arrival, UNT-Dallas has added 1,600 students, transitioning from a majority part-time student population to a younger, majority full-time undergraduate body. The number of graduates from its undergraduate and
- Texas lets struggling schools partner with nonprofits or charters for improvement. But many got Fs this year.
- > Aug 27, 6:03 AM: In fact, seven of the 12 schools across the state in similar partnerships with nonprofits or charters received F ratings this year, including four that, like Hearne Elementary, that could face state sanctions if they don't
- Houston-area charters, traditional public schools post similar accountability scores
- > Aug 26, 7:50 AM: Houston’s largest, long-established charter school networks earned high marks under the state’s academic accountability system in 2019, while the region’s smaller and newest charters posted results ranging from perfect
- Remedial Course Changes Show Signs of Success, Texas Higher Ed Officials Say
- > Aug 26, 7:06 AM: Two years ago, when Texas lawmakers reworked the way the state's colleges and universities handle remedial courses, they hoped to find a solution that would help students who weren't college-ready get up to speed in a way
- Texas schools with more student poverty got the most Ds and Fs in state ratings
- > Aug 22, 5:29 AM: Many Texas educators and advocates are frustrated in the week after the state released letter grades rating their school districts and campuses, as they work to decipher the potential impacts for their schools.
- Editorial: All students deserve to go to ‘A’ schools
- > Aug 22, 5:16 AM: Texas is pretty good at ranking schools, and now it has simplified that process with the new A to F accountability ratings. Campuses that got A’s and B’s are considered successful, those that got C’s are considered so-so,
- Nearly 60 schools in and around Houston receive failing grades in new Texas Education Agency report
Several suburban-area schools received failing grades in a new report of accountability ratings from the Texas Education Agency.
Aug 20, 7:49 AM:
- Analysis: Cheating Texas kids out of a better future
- Aug 16, 6:59 AM: A school in Texas can fail to meet state education standards for four years before the state shuts it down. A lot of students can go without the education they're due in four years time.
- Multiple Austin-area schools receive F’s from the state
- Aug 16, 5:50 AM: Multiple Austin-area schools received failing grades under the state accountability system, which doled out letter grades to campuses for the first time this year.
- Why The Largest Charter School Network in Texas Is Coming To Houston
- > Aug 14, 7:13 AM: For years, IDEA Public Schools has been the darling of both private philanthropy and federal grant administrators, winning $117 million earlier this year, the largest federal grant ever for charter school expansion.
- New Lubbock charter school focuses on kids with learning differences
- > Aug 13, 6:52 AM: The curriculum is specifically designed to help kids with language-based learning differences like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and dyslexia. Organizers say the independent charter school is the first in the
- Kids at these wealthy schools are more likely to get disability accommodations. Does that give them the edge into college?
- Aug 9, 8:00 AM: Nearly one out of 10 students at some of the area's wealthiest high schools have a disability designation that can give them more time to take tests, including college-entrance exams.
- New Forest Park principal 'can’t wait to get started'
- > Aug 7, 7:30 AM: Andrews is starting his 24th year in education and his 11th as an administrator. With a background in teaching math, he has worked in Port Arthur, Beaumont — yes, the district Longview High School football beat in 2018 to
- TEA leans on troubled school districts to use chosen remedy
- Aug 7, 5:32 AM: About 10 percent of Texas’s 1,031 public school districts are now under some form of state oversight, a degree of control made possible by laws passed in 2015 and 2017.
- Local charter school offering early college program
- > Aug 6, 7:52 AM: As Pioneer Technology and Arts Academy in Greenville prepares to open for its fourth year, students entering the ninth grade will have an opportunity to earn an associate’s degree from Richland College along with their
- Revolving door: Teachers, principals churn through HISD’s lowest-performing schools
- > Aug 5, 5:24 AM: In the state’s largest school district, dozens of campuses like Gregory-Lincoln, many of them serving the city’s most impoverished and neediest children, are afflicted by a chronic revolving door of principals and teachers
- Texas tried to incentivize school districts to work with charters. Districts are turning to local nonprofits instead.
- Aug 2, 6:45 AM: Not many school districts are partnering with charter schools, in some cases because they know it wouldn't be politically palatable in their communities.
- Payson schools hold the line against online students
- > Aug 1, 6:05 AM: Payson schools will continue to hold the line against a rising number of out-of-district, online students. The board last week reiterated its policy barring such online students from participating in the district’s
- Professional artists will teach SAISD students under unique partnership
- > Jul 31, 5:19 AM: Professional artists, musicians and performers will teach middle school art classes at San Antonio Independent School District’s Academy campuses this fall through partnerships with six local arts organizations.
- Editorial: DISD may have found the key to finally closing the achievement gap for black kids
- Jul 26, 6:05 AM: One of the vexing problems that confounds Dallas ISD is the fact that its black students persistently lag behind their Hispanic and white peers.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%