- Austin district hunts for partner to turn around Mendez Middle School
- Jan 11, 6:21 AM: Mendez Middle School has failed state academic standards for four consecutive years. If Mendez fails again, the state could close the school. Another option is finding a turnaround partner.
- Mendez Middle School one step closer to becoming an in-district charter
- Jan 9, 8:01 AM: But SB 1882 could provide an alternative. Under the bill districts may convert a school to an in-district campus charter by partnering with approved entities, such as a charter-management organization.
- District of Innovation committee works toward tentative plan
- Jan 3, 7:39 AM: In September of 2017, the Calhoun County Independent School District Board of Trustees began the process a second time to become a District of Innovation.
- New charter school will be big on parent involvement
- > Jan 2, 5:46 AM: Lubbock Classical Academy will teach students a strong liberal arts program with emphasis on American civics, art, music math, science and Latin, according to Tracy Phernetton, who will be the campus director.
- Some of Texas' most crowded classrooms are in charter schools
- Dec 27, 7:53 AM: Many parents choose charter schools because they like their small-school feel and want to avoid traditional public institutions, with their image of overcrowded classrooms.
- CSISD projects possible impact of new charter school on enrollment
- Dec 20, 7:13 AM: With the opening of a new charter school, College Station ISD is preparing for a potential hit to its enrollment and budget.
- Report: Low Graduation Rates At Texas Charter Schools
- > Dec 19, 6:37 AM: When the exclusions and exceptions the state grants charter schools are stripped away, Texas charter schools have an average graduation rate almost 30 percentage points lower than the state’s traditional school districts.
- Waco ISD pursuing in-district charter partnership with Prosper Waco to save 5 schools
- > Dec 15, 7:49 AM: Superintendent A. Marcus Nelson plans to recommend that Waco Independent School District form an in-district charter system with the local nonprofit Prosper Waco come Jan. 25 in an effort to stave off the possibility of
- Two school districts voice concern over financial impact of charter schools
Denton and Lake Dallas ISDs joined forces Thursday evening to talk about a potential loss of funding as charter schools continue to grow in Texas.
Dec 15, 5:39 AM:
- IDEA charter school chain buys former Jewish Community Center Preschool in West El Paso
- Dec 13, 7:25 AM: IDEA Public Schools, a charter chain that is receiving millions of dollars from local business leaders to open at least 20 El Paso campuses, is turning its focus to the West Side.
- Fate OKs large charter school project
- Dec 7, 6:34 AM: Fate’s City Council cleared the way for a science and technology oriented charter school Monday night, approving the school’s site plan by a unanimous vote.
- City of Fate Torn Over Proposal for International Charter School
- > Dec 5, 7:17 AM: Monday night in Fate, city council reviewed concept plans for a new charter school aiming to educate and house about 100 international students. This follows a previous vote to rezone land for the project that’s surrounded
- KIPP Houston, BBVA Compass reach $1.8M deal for campus naming rights
- Dec 5, 6:19 AM: Leaders of KIPP Houston and BBVA Compass on Monday celebrated a $1.8 million naming-rights agreement that will help fund the charter network's newest campus.
- Dallas ISD can’t wait for guidance on new charter law, will close schools instead
- > Dec 1, 7:56 AM: Facing sanctions if four long-struggling schools miss state academic standards yet again, Dallas ISD hoped to take advantage of a new state law by converting two of those schools into charter schools operated by an outside
- Charter school breaks ground in Flower Mound
- > Nov 30, 7:04 AM: Founders Classical Academy of Flower Mound, a ResponsiveEd charter school, will open the doors of its new campus for the 2018-2019 year at the southeast corner of FM 1171 and Flower Mound Road in Flower Mound.
- What you need to know about applying for HISD's magnet program
- Nov 30, 5:51 AM: Magnet schools at the elementary, middle and high school level allow students to explore areas of interest like STEM, fine arts and foreign languages. The themes are paired with a traditional curriculum.
- London High School teacher helps students achieve high AP scores with blended learning
- > Nov 21, 7:03 AM: When Christina Barerra-Melde learned she was going to teach an advanced placement human geography course for the first time last year, she couldn't imagine how she would get all the information to her students.
- Bowie will not become a charter school under a grant to transform 8 schools, trustees say
- Nov 20, 6:41 AM: Bowie High School will not be turned over to a charter school manager, trustees for the El Paso Independent School District assured a crowd of concerned parents and community members this week.
- AISD considers charter school option for Mendez Middle School
- > Nov 16, 6:49 AM: Facing severe under-enrollment and a below-average educational suitability assessment, Mendez Middle School may be turned over to a community partner in hopes of reversing the campus’ downward trajectory.
- Waco ISD superintendent discusses repurposing 5 campuses, possible nonprofit partnerships to save schools
- > Nov 7, 7:14 AM: As Superintendent A. Marcus Nelson started his last of three community meetings about contingency plans for five schools on the verge of closure, he dove into deeper details about what realigning campuses or nonprofit
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%