- Superintendent resigns as parents demand change at Childress ISD
- Oct 24, 8:45 AM: The Childress ISD held a board meeting where a unanimous agreement occurred regarding the resignation of former superintendent Rick Teran.
- Obscured by Tornado News, an Important Story at Dallas Public Schools
Dallas school Superintendent Michael Hinojosa has announced he is abandoning an effort to create a performing arts feeder school in South Dallas in partnership with CitySquare, a respected nonprofit advocacy foundation. >
Oct 24, 8:15 AM:
- West Columbia charter school receives 'excellent' rating on state report card
- > Oct 24, 7:09 AM: The Charter Institute at Erskine, the entity that sponsors this district of 17 charter schools in the state, hosted a surprise announcement today for Gray's principal Dr. Brian Newsome including a banner honoring their
- Collin College partnership provides more degree opportunities
- > Oct 23, 7:30 AM: Tuesday officials from Collin College and Texas A&M University-Commerce celebrated an accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges that will allow A&M Commerce to serve as a
- Demographer: Waco ISD losing students to charter schools, other districts
- > Oct 21, 8:51 AM: The Waco Independent School District is looking for ways to attract and retain more students, after a demographic study showed the district has been steadily losing students to charter schools and surrounding school
- Many Texas school districts are relying on their own talent to run controversial charter partnerships
- Oct 15, 7:14 AM: Texas school districts using a new state law to pursue innovative partnerships with charters have turned to familiar faces to run them.
- Longview ISD districtwide charter meetings attempt to clarify plans
- > Oct 15, 5:46 AM: After three of four planned town hall-style meetings about converting the rest of Longview ISD’s campuses to a private charter school system, two things have become clear: Longview ISD has learned parents and others still
- Texas is spending millions to bring the "portfolio model" to its schools. The strategy has led to teacher strikes in other states.
- > Oct 10, 6:05 AM: Texas is encouraging its school districts to drastically change how they manage their campuses — an effort to quickly cut down the number that are low-performing. It is spending more than $20 million a year in state and
- Biggest crowd yet for Longview ISD town halls wants to know why district wants charter schools
- Oct 9, 6:34 AM: Parents and community members attending the largest-yet Longview ISD town hall about a districtwide charter proposal wanted to know Tuesday why the district is even pursuing the charter schools.
- Editorial: Good riddance to Booker T. suburban cheaters, but DISD’s successful programs can woo parents the right way
- Sep 26, 5:24 AM: We strongly support Dallas school leaders’ crackdown on suburban parents who have cheated to get their kids into the prestigious Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts.
- Longview ISD hosts first town hall for district-wide charter proposal
- > Sep 24, 6:25 AM: Longview ISD has been on a steep learning curve the past year as it converted about half its campuses to charter schools, its board president said Monday. Now, the district wants to apply what it learned to the possibility
- Opinion: State takeover of school districts can sometimes be just what’s needed
- > Sep 19, 5:49 AM: A possible state takeover of schools in Houston has come under fire from critics on the right, who argue locals know best, and those on the left, who equate the loss of local control with a “dismantling of public
- Editorial: Don't miss your opportunity to learn, raise questions about Longview charter schools
- Sep 18, 7:13 AM: From late this month into early November, officials from Longview ISD will conduct a series of public meetings to explain the changes brought about by converting district campuses to charter schools.
- Charter school transparency rules: clear as mud but changing
- Sep 17, 6:18 AM: If you ask charter school leaders, they are treated exactly the same as public schools when it comes to legal requirements for public records and open meetings.
- Overnight success: Yeah, that’s not a thing
- > Sep 17, 5:57 AM: Turning a struggling school into a good one requires systemic, long-term commitment from every educator, parent and community member. It does not happen overnight. It needs the support of the entire community, and mostly,
- Austin-area high schools hit record college readiness rate
- Sep 16, 6:41 AM: Austin-area school districts graduated the most college-ready seniors of any cohort in the past five years, preliminary data for the class of 2019 show.
- TEA: IDEA partnership is most logical ‘enforcement action’
- Sep 11, 5:19 AM: Midland ISD received letter from the education commissioner due to Travis Elementary’s fifth-straight failing ranking.
- Polls show school-choice options going mainstream
- Sep 10, 4:37 AM: According to the Mason-Dixon poll results, 74 percent of Texas voters support education savings accounts, 64 percent support tax credit scholarships, and 67 percent support federal tax credits.
- Charter schools fly below the radar on spending and transparency rules
- > Sep 6, 7:12 AM: It’s a treat to fly at the front of the plane, where seats are bigger and fares are roughly double the cost of a coach seat. But for the state’s most prolific charter school operator, first-class air travel is allowed. In
- HISD isn’t all broken. Leaders should continue what works. [Editorial]
- > Aug 29, 5:45 AM: There is no magic formula for turning around a struggling school. No wave of a wand that can rejuvenate overburdened teachers. Or stock disadvantaged campuses with needed resources. Or help parents with two jobs and no
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%