- Bill boosts funding for local, state charter schools
- Aug 28, 5:54 AM: A school finance bill signed into law recently by Gov. Greg Abbott includes a first: money that state charter schools can use to pay for new facilities.
- Dallas ISD may close the book on this crafty way charter schools poach students
- > Aug 25, 6:05 AM: Dallas ISD trustees want to make it harder for charter schools to poach their students. The board is expected next month to discuss limiting access to directory information that’s long been public. The directory is often
- Charter Schools Get Boost From Texas Lawmakers
- Aug 23, 6:07 AM: Charter networks, like Harmony Public Schools, will start to receive $200 per student for buildings and other facilities, like science labs and playgrounds, starting in the 2018-19 school year.
- Solar eclipse provides unique science lesson for SFA Charter School students
- > Aug 22, 6:58 AM: Many schools in East Texas that kicked off their fall semester Monday, and the solar eclipse provided a perfect science lesson for students. Stephen F. Austin State University’s Charter School took advantage of the show in
- State could seize control or close campuses if four Dallas ISD schools don't improve
- > Aug 22, 5:38 AM: Despite making big strides with its lowest-performing campuses, Dallas ISD still has a massive task for the upcoming school year: If four campuses don't do better, the state will either shut them down or take over the
- New Compass Academy building ready to open
- > Aug 21, 4:51 AM: As Compass Academy Charter School teachers — and administrators — moved into their new building near CrossRoads Fellowship church earlier this week, they had smiles on their faces and a skip in their steps.
- Waco ISD looks to new strategies for new year as 6 schools fail standards again
- Aug 16, 5:17 AM: All six campuses remaining on the list have failed standards for at least three years in a row, and the district’s new Superintendent A. Marcus Nelson said he plans to change that for the better.
- "Disappointed" House accepts Senate's changes to school finance bill
- > Aug 16, 4:52 AM: After three hours of private negotiations and almost two hours of public debate Tuesday, the Texas House decided to agree with the Senate's decision to strip funding and reforms from a school finance bill.
- High-Tech High School Opens Doors to First Students
- > Aug 15, 6:45 AM: The Centers for Applied Science and Technologies, or CAST Tech, was developed through a public-private partnership among SAISD, Tech Bloc, H-E-B, and other supporters. The school brings new life and innovation to the
- Charter school advocates hope school finance deal includes facility funding
- > Aug 15, 5:14 AM: Time is running out for Texas lawmakers to reform school financing. The House and Senate both passed a version of House Bill 21 and a committee is working to hammer out a compromise before the special session ends
- Texas House, Senate move toward school finance compromise
- > Aug 15, 4:58 AM: After days of staring each other down over whether and how to improve the way the state funds its public schools, the Texas House and Senate both blinked Monday, with each passing the other's priority school finance
- HISD declines to throw lifeline to low-performing charter
- Aug 14, 6:14 AM: Houston ISD trustees opted not to save an under-performing charter school on Thursday, voting 3-4 against making the C.O.R.E. Academy an in-district charter school.
- Parents told their charter school district is over and out
- > Aug 11, 6:03 AM: When parents and staff drove up to Career Paths High School on Wednesday, they were greeted by a large banner emblazoned with “NOW ENROLLING” in red block letters. But Texas Education Agency officials who met with them
- HISD given possible third option to deal with struggling schools
- > Aug 11, 5:56 AM: Rather than close those schools or have them taken over by a state-appointed Board of Managers, which appeared to be the only options offered in a state law due to go into full effect next year, TEA officials said HISD
- Parents pack meeting after learning SASIC Charter School is closing
- Aug 10, 7:45 AM: With the start of school quickly approaching, however, much of the focus on the meeting was finding last minute options for kids to learn.
- TEA meets parents after pulling plug on San Antonio charter school district
- > Aug 10, 6:26 AM: Texas Education Agency officials spoke to staff and parents of the San Antonio School for Inquiry and Creativity on Wednesday about their options in the wake of the state’s closure of the troubled charter network.
- Some chronically failing schools will make the grade, HISD board members say
- > Aug 10, 5:58 AM: Thirteen Houston ISD schools and two charter schools recently taken over by the district received "improvement required" ratings in 2014, 2015 and 2016. If any of those campuses receives an "improvement required" rating in
- Houston ISD faces state takeover if long-failing campuses don't improve
- Aug 9, 5:37 AM: Texas education officials are warning that Houston ISD could be placed under the jurisdiction of state-appointed managers as early as next year if 13 district schools don't show improvement.
- Texas Senate leaders reject $1.8 billion House school finance fix
- Aug 9, 5:01 AM: Senate Republicans on Tuesday rejected a plan pushed by their GOP counterparts in the House to inject $1.8 billion into the beleaguered Texas public education system over the next two years.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%