- Unlicensed educators fly under radar, state seeks more scrutiny
- May 15, 5:07 AM: Charter school personnel are flying under the radar of investigations of educator malfeasance, a state education investigator said, potentially allowing them to move from school to school without detection.
- Outside the system: PSJA superintendent weighing benefits of charter-like partnership
- > May 14, 5:57 AM: While a bill passed by state legislators in the 2017 session allowing school districts to relinquish control of struggling campuses to charter schools is making waves elsewhere, PSJA ISD officials are considering how the
- SAISD courted 3 charter school networks long before telling public
- > May 14, 4:54 AM: Almost a year ago, the San Antonio Independent School District’s chief innovation officer told the leaders of an out-of-state charter network that the district wanted to recruit three or four charter management
- Strange bedfellows: Fearing the worst, Dallas ISD considering a partnership with South Dallas charter school
- May 11, 7:15 AM: Dallas ISD is considering a partnership with a long-time South Dallas charter school, possibly as an end run to prevent a separate collaboration between the campus and a bigger charter school operator.
- Commentary: The future of school choice in Dallas ISD is the neighborhood school
- > May 9, 5:15 AM: To me, DISD style school choice means not having to leave the district to find a best fit campus for all students. Options are important, but I recognize the future of public school choice lies in the neighborhood school.
- Are charter schools private? In Texas courts, it depends why you're asking
- May 7, 6:33 AM: Texas charter schools are sometimes private and sometimes governmental — a legal framework that has helped them avoid costly lawsuits.
- Teachers union sues SAISD to block takeover of low-performing Stewart Elementary
- > May 7, 6:28 AM: The Texas State Teachers Association filed a lawsuit against the San Antonio Independent School District on Friday in hopes of blocking the outside takeover of one of the district's low-performing elementary schools.
- Calallen High has a program that puts students to work right after graduation
- May 4, 6:18 AM: Calallen High School is one school in the Coastal Bend that has a pilot program. It's called CAT, or Construction Apprenticeship Training Program.
- New charter school set for fall opening in Cypress
- > May 3, 6:46 AM: YES Prep Northwest will open this fall in Cy-Fair at 14741 Yorktown Plaza Drive at Gessner for sixth-graders zoned to Dean, Campbell, Cook, and Truitt Middle Schools. The YES Prep will be the 18th location for the charter
- Was Houston ISD charter school plan a ‘real estate scam?’
- > May 2, 6:14 AM: Largely lost in the loud, raucous debate last week over what the Houston Independent School District should do with 10 failing schools, a concern was raised about the HISD proposal that would have handed the schools to a
- ECISD board approves agreement with nonprofit to operate Ector Middle School
- > May 1, 5:37 AM: After a rollercoaster day, the Ector County Independent School District Board of Trustees unanimously approved an agreement between the district and Ector Success Academy Network, a nonprofit entity, to operate Ector
- Future of Houston ISD’s struggling schools now in hands of Texas Education Agency
- > May 1, 5:13 AM: Texas’ largest school district balked at an April 30 deadline to submit plans to the TEA detailing how it would hand operations of those 10 schools to a third-party group, according to Houston ISD spokesman Tracy Clemons.
- Texas Supreme Court upholds decision to close Austin charter school
- > Apr 30, 4:55 AM: The Texas Supreme Court on Friday let stand a 4-year-old state decision to shutter a former Southeast Austin charter school. The state revoked the charter of American YouthWorks in 2014 after it had failed to meet academic
- Commentary: Why money matters in public education
- > Apr 27, 6:19 AM: The problem with that is studies from across the ideological spectrum have shown that the quality of education delivered is, in fact, directly related to the quantity of resources a district has. That news grabbed
- Houston ISD nixes partnership plans, risking school closures or state takeover
- > Apr 26, 5:35 AM: Houston ISD leaders will not turn over control of their 10 longest-struggling schools to any outside organizations, district leaders announced Wednesday, a decision that shifts enormous power over HISD's future to the
- ‘Wild night’ at Houston school board meeting as police drag out protesters
- > Apr 25, 7:11 AM: A meeting of the board that runs the Houston Independent School District turned into a “wild night” Tuesday when a discussion about a potential charter takeover of 10 traditional public schools erupted and police wound up
- Editorial: HISD should vote no on charter takeover
- > Apr 25, 6:50 AM: In a rushed and desperate last minute move to avoid state sanctions, Houston Independent School District trustees are considering a deal to turn over the operation of 10 improvement-required schools to a charter school
- Ahead Of Board Vote, Houston Teachers Union Raises Questions About Proposed Charter Partner
- > Apr 24, 6:56 AM: The HISD administration has recommended the charter group, Energized for STEM, to take on the management, budgeting, curriculum and turnaround efforts for 10 HISD schools that haven’t met state standards in several years.
- HISD partnership proposal met with skepticism, questions
- Apr 23, 6:32 AM: A long-awaited proposal from Houston ISD to temporarily surrender control over 10 of its lowest-performing schools is facing mixed reviews ahead of a crucial vote Tuesday.
- HISD trustees clear path for quicker approval of charter partnerships
- Apr 13, 7:16 AM: Houston ISD trustees cleared the way Thursday for expediting approval of in-district charter agreements that would help HISD avoid major state sanctions.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%