- Texas Lawmakers Consider Boosting Dual Credit Education Program As More Students Opt In
- > Apr 29, 7:26 AM: Texas now has 169 early-college high schools. The model for early colleges is different than traditional public high schools. Students are placed in smaller classes and are specifically prepared to take college courses.
- Federal money to fuel charter expansion, including IDEA’s big San Antonio plans
- > Apr 26, 5:00 AM: Officials at San Antonio’s largest charter school network want to have campuses within 10 minutes of every family in the city — a goal they now believe reachable in five years thanks to a $116 million grant from the U.S.
- Every student in IDEA Public Schools' entire first class is headed to college
- > Apr 18, 6:50 AM: There are 83 seniors in IDEA Montopolis' graduating class, the first group to graduate from the IDEA schools in Austin. All of those seniors attending this Austin charter school have been accepted to college.
- Opinion: Higher pay will not solve Texas teacher shortage
- > Apr 16, 7:42 AM: The plan recently unveiled by Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., for the largest federal investment in teacher salaries in U.S. history to solve the perennial teacher shortage has particular relevance for Texas. With some
- Aiming to cut expulsions, YES Prep opens disciplinary alternative education program
- > Apr 16, 7:07 AM: Before YES Prep Public Schools opened Thrive last September, its first foray into running a disciplinary alternative education program, students sitting around the circle likely would have not gotten a second chance at the
- Local charter schools not immune from facility challenges
- > Apr 16, 6:02 AM: St. Vrain Community Montessori School's 270 students attend classes in two rented buildings plus two mobile classrooms in an industrial area of south Longmont. The 10-year-old charter school's playgrounds are in fenced-off
- New program would allow high school students to graduate as certified registered nurses
- > Apr 16, 5:09 AM: Some local students interested in a career in nursing will have an opportunity to earn a degree while in high school. The proposed program in the works at Fox Tech High School and would be the second within the San Antonio
- Teacher alliance says SAISD rushed decision to partner with charter school nonprofits
- > Apr 12, 7:09 AM: The San Antonio Alliance of Teachers and School Personnel is coming out against a decision by the San Antonio Independent School District to hand over management of 18 schools to five nonprofit charter school
- Texas charter schools are facing more backlash this year, but could also receive more cash
- Apr 9, 5:57 AM: School finance reform could bring the privately operated public schools a windfall. But traditional public school advocates are still fighting the charters' expansion.
- HISD charter schools to stay open despite financial, conflict-of-interest concerns
- > Apr 5, 6:39 AM: Three interconnected charter school networks will remain open next year despite scrutiny of payments and loans totaling at least $17 million to a company owned by the charters’ highest-ranking employee.
- Opinion: Collaboration with nonprofits will empower schools
- > Apr 2, 5:43 AM: However, the positive momentum and successes on behalf of our students have been mired with misinformation and false claims about SAISD’s transformational efforts. The most recent focus has been on 19 of our schools that
- San Antonio Mom Creates A Charter School App For Parents
- > Apr 1, 7:46 AM: A San Antonio mom has come up with a new way to find the perfect charter school for your children. Inga Cotton operates a blog called San Antonio Charter Mom. She tells KTSA that the most popular feature has been the
- 'We're Not Selling Our Schools': SAISD Defends Outside Management
- > Apr 1, 7:39 AM: Last Monday, trustees for the San Antonio Independent School District approved contracts allowing outside organizations to oversee 18 schools. During the pivotal board meeting, district leaders emphasized that most parents
- Teacher’s union advocates for better insurance, employee policies
- > Apr 1, 7:15 AM: Better insurance coverage and including gender identity in non-discrimination policy are two topics that have been a focus of the Lone Star College American Federation of Teachers’ recent advocacy campaigns.
- SISD at risk for losing millions in funding if new charter schools reach capacity
- Mar 26, 5:54 AM: Millions of dollars could be lost if new charter schools open within the boundaries of the Socorro Independent School District, administrators warn.
- Bill targets Texas charter school admissions
- > Mar 22, 5:46 AM: An Austin legislator wants to prohibit charter schools from denying admission to students based on their disciplinary history, setting up what could become the biggest battle during this year’s legislative session in the
- Texas House Drops Dallas ISD-Backed Merit-Pay Plan for Teachers
- > Mar 20, 7:24 AM: The Texas House of Representatives’ Public Education Committee unanimously signed off on the chamber’s education package Tuesday, but not before stripping a Dallas ISD-supported provision that would have allowed school
- TEA denies application for Whitewright charter school
- Mar 20, 5:57 AM: A charter school that was hoping to begin operating in Whitewright was recently denied its application from the Texas Education Agency.
- This is how rural South Texas schools will bring the big world to students
- > Mar 14, 5:40 AM: Texas has more schools in rural areas than any other state. In the 2015-2016 school year, rural schools, as classified by the Texas Education Agency, accounted for 459 of the 1,247 school districts in Texas. Having led
- Dallas ISD's merit-based teacher pay becomes flash point in Texas House's school funding debate
- > Mar 13, 7:06 AM: The Texas House's $9 billion school funding plan had its first public vetting Tuesday, with school advocates and officials at odds over the pros and cons of a merit pay system partially inspired by Dallas ISD.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%