- Revolving door: Teachers, principals churn through HISD’s lowest-performing schools
- > Aug 5, 5:24 AM: In the state’s largest school district, dozens of campuses like Gregory-Lincoln, many of them serving the city’s most impoverished and neediest children, are afflicted by a chronic revolving door of principals and teachers
- Texas tried to incentivize school districts to work with charters. Districts are turning to local nonprofits instead.
- Aug 2, 6:45 AM: Not many school districts are partnering with charter schools, in some cases because they know it wouldn't be politically palatable in their communities.
- Payson schools hold the line against online students
- > Aug 1, 6:05 AM: Payson schools will continue to hold the line against a rising number of out-of-district, online students. The board last week reiterated its policy barring such online students from participating in the district’s
- Professional artists will teach SAISD students under unique partnership
- > Jul 31, 5:19 AM: Professional artists, musicians and performers will teach middle school art classes at San Antonio Independent School District’s Academy campuses this fall through partnerships with six local arts organizations.
- Editorial: DISD may have found the key to finally closing the achievement gap for black kids
- Jul 26, 6:05 AM: One of the vexing problems that confounds Dallas ISD is the fact that its black students persistently lag behind their Hispanic and white peers.
- Opinion: School takeovers fail. Is Houston next?
- > Jul 26, 5:37 AM: The Texas Education Agency should heed evidence from around the country that state takeovers of schools harm students and communities. The public needs to know that the rules for assessing school performance, and rating
- Lamar University expands access to higher education through partnership with Panola College
- > Jul 25, 6:30 AM: Beginning this fall, Lamar University will offer Panola College students with associate degrees full access to online bachelor degree programs specific to their associate degrees in business, communication, criminal
- Editorial: Progress slow on higher ed plan
- Jul 24, 6:53 AM: The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s lofty plan to increase the number of Texans who hold certificates or degrees by 2030 is progressing slowly, and it may not hit its target.
- Transition to College: Porter summer graduates complete SASS readiness program
- > Jul 15, 7:23 AM: Twenty-three summer graduates of Porter Early College High School will graduate next month with their college entrance paperwork complete, registered for classes at Texas Southmost College and with their first
- El Paso area school boards oppose charter school expansion fueled by federal funds
- > Jul 15, 5:17 AM: As charter schools expand in El Paso, fueled by a sizable federal grant, three of the county's smaller districts are hoping recent resolutions will prevent students from leaving and encourage lawmakers to do more to quell
- Editorial: IDEA announcement is the type of education transformation our community needs
- Jul 15, 5:11 AM: The announcement that IDEA Public Schools will open 14 schools in Midland-Odessa by the 2024-25 school year is the type of education transformation our community needs.
- Column: Higher education is for all ages
- > Jul 9, 6:01 AM: Since our founding in 1985, Palo Alto College has remained dedicated to ensuring educational access for students of all ages. Our students range from high school graduates entering college for the first time or individuals
- The Charter Effect: Students Flock To School Districts Outside San Antonio
- > Jul 3, 5:51 AM: The rapid growth of charter schools throughout Bexar County, combined with an increase in housing options outside the city, has catapulted enrollment growth in neighboring counties ahead of San Antonio, according to a TPR
- The Charter Effect: Enrollment Loss Hits San Antonio’s ‘Destination’ Districts
- > Jul 1, 7:03 AM: The San Antonio-New Braunfels Metropolitan Area has two of the fastest growing cities in the country. But according to Texas enrollment data, the region’s traditional public schools lost nearly 4,000 students between 2017
- Fiery Debate on Charter Partnership Renewed at Dallas School Board Meeting
- > Jun 28, 6:39 AM: A controversial deal to convert some prekindergarten classrooms into charter campuses within the Dallas school district on Thursday again drew sharp criticism from opponents who say they worry about the privatization of
- Local colleges work to connect students, employers to bridge "skills gap"
- Jun 24, 8:10 AM: In this installment, we’ll look at the education portion of the jobs equation, talking with officials at local colleges about their efforts to connect willing workers with companies that need them.
- Opinion: Texas' new, $6.5-billion-larger investment in public education is a good start
- > Jun 20, 5:30 AM: Texas families should be appreciative that Republican and Democratic lawmakers were able to advance a funding bill that provides additional support to public schools, which includes opportunities for increased teacher pay
- School choice advocates face uphill battle in Texas Legislature
- > Jun 19, 5:22 AM: As state lawmakers commit to adjusting the public school finance system in Texas, a push for ‘school choice’ — using public education money to pay for other forms of education services — is fading.
- North Texas charter school among top in U.S. with all 65 graduates accepted into college
- > Jun 18, 7:00 AM: Westlake Academy’s first graduating class was in the 2009-10 school year. Now, a decade later, the school has soundly established itself as one of the top academic schools in Texas and the United States.
- Hallsville ISD virtual school graduates students across state
- Jun 17, 5:09 AM: The Texas Virtual Academy at Hallsville graduated 308 seniors from across the state June 7 at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%