- TEA says it will replace Houston ISD’s elected school board
- > Nov 7, 7:03 AM: Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath notified Houston ISD officials Wednesday that he plans to temporarily strip power from the district’s elected school board and appoint a replacement governance team, a
- ‘Better than people think’: Despite TEA takeover threat, HISD scores well compared to peers
- > Nov 6, 6:36 AM: Under the leadership of Castillo and teachers such as Hua, Pilgrim Academy ranks as one of the best campuses in HISD, home to 209,000 students and 280 schools. Pilgrim has earned back-to-back B grades from the state, a
- This school district has been at risk of state takeover for years. Some blame white flight.
- > Nov 4, 6:38 AM: Hearne ISD administrators and teachers see the Mumford buses around town, constant reminders of what they’re up against. They’ve long insisted — in private and in courtrooms — that the transfers are bleeding them dry
- Texas education officials recommend replacing Houston ISD's elected school board
- > Oct 31, 5:34 AM: The Texas Education Agency is recommending that the state take over Houston Independent School District — the state's largest public school system — due to its elected school board's "demonstrated inability to
- Editorial: College graduation rates need improvement
- > Oct 29, 6:43 AM: As a community, we do a lot of things right when it comes to providing a quality education for future generations. Our investment in Pre-K 4 SA has been a wise one, and merits continuation and expansion. Free tuition at
- El Paso ISD earns college readiness award
- > Oct 25, 4:48 AM: The District earned the award by having 32 percent of all high-school juniors in the District complete the Build Your List process in the BigFuture college-readiness website operated by the College Board, the organization
- Superintendent resigns as parents demand change at Childress ISD
- Oct 24, 8:45 AM: The Childress ISD held a board meeting where a unanimous agreement occurred regarding the resignation of former superintendent Rick Teran.
- Obscured by Tornado News, an Important Story at Dallas Public Schools
Dallas school Superintendent Michael Hinojosa has announced he is abandoning an effort to create a performing arts feeder school in South Dallas in partnership with CitySquare, a respected nonprofit advocacy foundation. >
Oct 24, 8:15 AM:
- West Columbia charter school receives 'excellent' rating on state report card
- > Oct 24, 7:09 AM: The Charter Institute at Erskine, the entity that sponsors this district of 17 charter schools in the state, hosted a surprise announcement today for Gray's principal Dr. Brian Newsome including a banner honoring their
- Collin College partnership provides more degree opportunities
- > Oct 23, 7:30 AM: Tuesday officials from Collin College and Texas A&M University-Commerce celebrated an accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges that will allow A&M Commerce to serve as a
- Demographer: Waco ISD losing students to charter schools, other districts
- > Oct 21, 8:51 AM: The Waco Independent School District is looking for ways to attract and retain more students, after a demographic study showed the district has been steadily losing students to charter schools and surrounding school
- Many Texas school districts are relying on their own talent to run controversial charter partnerships
- Oct 15, 7:14 AM: Texas school districts using a new state law to pursue innovative partnerships with charters have turned to familiar faces to run them.
- Longview ISD districtwide charter meetings attempt to clarify plans
- > Oct 15, 5:46 AM: After three of four planned town hall-style meetings about converting the rest of Longview ISD’s campuses to a private charter school system, two things have become clear: Longview ISD has learned parents and others still
- Texas is spending millions to bring the "portfolio model" to its schools. The strategy has led to teacher strikes in other states.
- > Oct 10, 6:05 AM: Texas is encouraging its school districts to drastically change how they manage their campuses — an effort to quickly cut down the number that are low-performing. It is spending more than $20 million a year in state and
- Biggest crowd yet for Longview ISD town halls wants to know why district wants charter schools
- Oct 9, 6:34 AM: Parents and community members attending the largest-yet Longview ISD town hall about a districtwide charter proposal wanted to know Tuesday why the district is even pursuing the charter schools.
- Editorial: Good riddance to Booker T. suburban cheaters, but DISD’s successful programs can woo parents the right way
- Sep 26, 5:24 AM: We strongly support Dallas school leaders’ crackdown on suburban parents who have cheated to get their kids into the prestigious Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts.
- Longview ISD hosts first town hall for district-wide charter proposal
- > Sep 24, 6:25 AM: Longview ISD has been on a steep learning curve the past year as it converted about half its campuses to charter schools, its board president said Monday. Now, the district wants to apply what it learned to the possibility
- Opinion: State takeover of school districts can sometimes be just what’s needed
- > Sep 19, 5:49 AM: A possible state takeover of schools in Houston has come under fire from critics on the right, who argue locals know best, and those on the left, who equate the loss of local control with a “dismantling of public
- Editorial: Don't miss your opportunity to learn, raise questions about Longview charter schools
- Sep 18, 7:13 AM: From late this month into early November, officials from Longview ISD will conduct a series of public meetings to explain the changes brought about by converting district campuses to charter schools.
- Charter school transparency rules: clear as mud but changing
- Sep 17, 6:18 AM: If you ask charter school leaders, they are treated exactly the same as public schools when it comes to legal requirements for public records and open meetings.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%