- State offers millions to boost 8 Austin schools. But there’s a catch.
- > Jan 15, 8:00 AM: But critics warn that the new Texas Education Agency program providing the money is pushing districts statewide to allow outside organizations to run their campuses or give charter operators a bigger foothold in areas
- Charter schools continue to boom in Texas, and Denton County is no exception
- > Jan 15, 7:42 AM: In 1999, Texas charters enrolled more than 12,000 students. By 2017, enrollment numbers had jumped to more than 272,000 students. Currently, more than 140,000 Texas kids are on wait lists to get into a charter school.
- Corpus Christi ISD cites calendar flexibility in District of Innovation effort
- Jan 12, 6:09 AM: A committee of Corpus Christi ISD parents, administrators, and teachers may soon propose that trustees pursue the opportunity to become a District of Innovation, but only to gain calendar flexibility.
- Austin district hunts for partner to turn around Mendez Middle School
- Jan 11, 6:21 AM: Mendez Middle School has failed state academic standards for four consecutive years. If Mendez fails again, the state could close the school. Another option is finding a turnaround partner.
- Mendez Middle School one step closer to becoming an in-district charter
- Jan 9, 8:01 AM: But SB 1882 could provide an alternative. Under the bill districts may convert a school to an in-district campus charter by partnering with approved entities, such as a charter-management organization.
- District of Innovation committee works toward tentative plan
- Jan 3, 7:39 AM: In September of 2017, the Calhoun County Independent School District Board of Trustees began the process a second time to become a District of Innovation.
- New charter school will be big on parent involvement
- > Jan 2, 5:46 AM: Lubbock Classical Academy will teach students a strong liberal arts program with emphasis on American civics, art, music math, science and Latin, according to Tracy Phernetton, who will be the campus director.
- Some of Texas' most crowded classrooms are in charter schools
- Dec 27, 7:53 AM: Many parents choose charter schools because they like their small-school feel and want to avoid traditional public institutions, with their image of overcrowded classrooms.
- CSISD projects possible impact of new charter school on enrollment
- Dec 20, 7:13 AM: With the opening of a new charter school, College Station ISD is preparing for a potential hit to its enrollment and budget.
- Report: Low Graduation Rates At Texas Charter Schools
- > Dec 19, 6:37 AM: When the exclusions and exceptions the state grants charter schools are stripped away, Texas charter schools have an average graduation rate almost 30 percentage points lower than the state’s traditional school districts.
- Waco ISD pursuing in-district charter partnership with Prosper Waco to save 5 schools
- > Dec 15, 7:49 AM: Superintendent A. Marcus Nelson plans to recommend that Waco Independent School District form an in-district charter system with the local nonprofit Prosper Waco come Jan. 25 in an effort to stave off the possibility of
- Two school districts voice concern over financial impact of charter schools
Denton and Lake Dallas ISDs joined forces Thursday evening to talk about a potential loss of funding as charter schools continue to grow in Texas.
Dec 15, 5:39 AM:
- IDEA charter school chain buys former Jewish Community Center Preschool in West El Paso
- Dec 13, 7:25 AM: IDEA Public Schools, a charter chain that is receiving millions of dollars from local business leaders to open at least 20 El Paso campuses, is turning its focus to the West Side.
- Fate OKs large charter school project
- Dec 7, 6:34 AM: Fate’s City Council cleared the way for a science and technology oriented charter school Monday night, approving the school’s site plan by a unanimous vote.
- City of Fate Torn Over Proposal for International Charter School
- > Dec 5, 7:17 AM: Monday night in Fate, city council reviewed concept plans for a new charter school aiming to educate and house about 100 international students. This follows a previous vote to rezone land for the project that’s surrounded
- KIPP Houston, BBVA Compass reach $1.8M deal for campus naming rights
- Dec 5, 6:19 AM: Leaders of KIPP Houston and BBVA Compass on Monday celebrated a $1.8 million naming-rights agreement that will help fund the charter network's newest campus.
- Dallas ISD can’t wait for guidance on new charter law, will close schools instead
- > Dec 1, 7:56 AM: Facing sanctions if four long-struggling schools miss state academic standards yet again, Dallas ISD hoped to take advantage of a new state law by converting two of those schools into charter schools operated by an outside
- Charter school breaks ground in Flower Mound
- > Nov 30, 7:04 AM: Founders Classical Academy of Flower Mound, a ResponsiveEd charter school, will open the doors of its new campus for the 2018-2019 year at the southeast corner of FM 1171 and Flower Mound Road in Flower Mound.
- What you need to know about applying for HISD's magnet program
- Nov 30, 5:51 AM: Magnet schools at the elementary, middle and high school level allow students to explore areas of interest like STEM, fine arts and foreign languages. The themes are paired with a traditional curriculum.
- London High School teacher helps students achieve high AP scores with blended learning
- > Nov 21, 7:03 AM: When Christina Barerra-Melde learned she was going to teach an advanced placement human geography course for the first time last year, she couldn't imagine how she would get all the information to her students.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%