- Can a more diverse charter school help students feel at ease in college? IDEA takes first step toward finding out
- Nov 15, 8:37 AM: When the fast-growing charter network IDEA asked the federal government for several million dollars two years ago, it explained that it wanted to do something different with one of its next schools.
- Opinion: San Antonio benefits from school choice
- > Nov 13, 6:16 AM: Parents in San Antonio are increasingly exercising their right to choose the best-fit school for their children. In fact, charter schools alone have experienced double-digit growth in enrollment in the last five years, and
- Will voters approve higher taxes for Dallas schools?
- > Nov 6, 5:43 AM: Community groups are making last-ditch efforts to get voters to the polls for the Dallas school district's ballot measure asking for more tax dollars. The Dallas Independent School District wants to raise its maintenance
- Texas’ fastest-growing charter network planning massive bond package
- > Nov 5, 7:07 AM: From its founding in 2013, International Leadership of Texas has often bucked conventional charter school wisdom, expanding at an unprecedented rate and educating students in large, newly constructed facilities.
- Texas teachers frustrated over education funding aim to be a force in Tuesday's elections
- Nov 2, 6:27 AM: Teachers say they are more than frustrated about rising health care costs, stagnant state funding for education and what they see as constant attacks on their profession.
- SAISD works to make school choice equitable
- > Nov 2, 5:35 AM: He says when acceptances went out, the first students to sign up came from more well-to-do families. So Choudhury and his team worked the phones, making sure lower-income students knew they were welcome. "The end result
- City welcomes new charter high school
- > Nov 1, 6:17 AM: School officials on Tuesday officially welcomed the public to the city’s newest high school, the Mid-Valley Academy Charter High School-Brownsville, a community-based alternative education school at 944 E. Los Ebanos
- Tyler ISD, UT Tyler create partnership to inspire future school leaders
- > Oct 30, 5:25 AM: Leaders from both school announced the TeamONE Tyler program on Monday, officially titled the Tyler ISD Leadership Pipeline Initiative. The program will provide an opportunity for a select group of Tyler ISD educators to
- Organization ranks SFA Charter School number one
- > Oct 25, 7:26 AM: The SFA Charter School was named the number one best charter elementary school out of 315 others in Texas, by Niche, an organization used to rank schools, universities and neighborhoods based on reviews and statistics.
- Analysis: Many graduates of top-rated local high schools not 'college ready'
- > Oct 25, 6:49 AM: At Midway High School, in the county’s largest A-rated public school district, less than half the 2018 graduating class scored high enough on college entrance exams to be considered “college ready,” according to an
- Editorial: Dallas ISD's proposed campus closures are a risky reform strategy
- Oct 19, 5:01 AM: Citing steady declines in enrollment and increased competition from charter schools, Dallas ISD has proposed shuttering nearly two dozen schools as part of its long-range facilities master plan.
- Latinos are making dramatic college gains in Texas, but huge disparities still remain
- > Oct 18, 6:45 AM: Fewer than half of all Latinos who start college in Texas end up earning a bachelor's within six years, but recent federal data shows there are reasons to be hopeful because those students are also making the biggest
- As Texas faces a sharp increase in special education students, the shortage of teachers could get worse
- > Oct 15, 5:45 AM: Texas will need about 9,000 more teachers like De Los Santos as 150,000 more students statewide become eligible for special education classes in the next three years. That will intensify an existing shortage of such
- Opinion: Dual credit — a great return on investment
- > Oct 15, 5:30 AM: With the passage of a bill during the last legislative session to expand dual credit to the freshman and sophomore years, Texas touts 20,000 new dual credit students in the state. With a 650 percent increase in dual credit
- Northside, North East ISD leaders say city can slow charter schools
- > Oct 10, 6:18 AM: The superintendents of the region's two largest school districts called Tuesday for a “community conversation” about the impact of charter schools’ growth on traditional public school systems.
- Most Texas Schools Receiving Failing Grade Serve Mostly Low-Income Students
- > Oct 10, 5:50 AM: Officially, only school districts received a letter grade this year. But TEA issued numerical scores for campuses that reflect the letter grades they’ll receive next year. And most schools that failed serve mostly
- How Charter Schools Are Pushing Dallas ISD To Improve Public Education
- > Oct 3, 4:54 AM: I think one of the great things that we’ve seen in Dallas in response to charter schools is it’s caused the Dallas Independent School District to do a lot of different things — for academic reasons and enrollment reasons.
- Opinion: Of course Texas kids aren’t college-ready; Schools don’t enforce STAAR consequences
- > Oct 2, 6:02 AM: If the public wants excellence in education, the public must be willing to accept that failure is part of what leads to excellence. If the Texas Legislature wants to throw money at the problem, improve the rigor of college
- Opinion: Why parents are standing in line for school choice in Texas
- > Sep 27, 4:35 AM: So, what is the best education for a child in Texas? It’s one where parents have the opportunity to examine multiple options and decide for themselves which school will suit their child’s individual needs the best.
- Column: Charter schools offer choice, but public must be aware of impact
- > Sep 24, 5:37 AM: IDEA Public Charter Schools plans to open 20 campuses across El Paso over the next five years. The expansion will provide students with additional educational choices and may stimulate competition with traditional public
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%