- Harmony Charter schools will offer flexible classroom plan next fall
- Jul 1, 6:52 AM: Harmony Public Schools, a Charter School system in Texas that includes the Harmony Science Academy in Beaumont will offer parents a variety of options to attend school in the 2020-21 school year.
- Texas Teachers Union May Strike Over COVID-19 Precautions
- > Jun 30, 7:15 AM: The president of the Texas branch of the American Federation of Teachers says that going on strike is an option if teachers are forced back into the classroom this fall without proper precautions for COVID-19.
- In some Houston school districts, half of parents say they won’t send their kids back to school this fall
- > Jun 26, 7:33 AM: King Davis was stunned when he saw how many parents wanted to keep their children home from Sheldon ISD schools in the fall. Across grade levels and campuses, more than 48 percent of the 2,324 parents who responded to a
- Some parents plan to leave public schools, elect homeschooling and charter schools due to COVID-19
- > Jun 26, 6:21 AM: As the global pandemic continues to bring uncertainty to everyday life, some Austin families are taking proactive steps to address schooling in the fall — by electing to homeschool their kids or selecting a district that
- San Antonio Charter Moms: Charter a Summer of Learning
- Jun 22, 6:11 AM: San Antonio Charter Moms (SACM) began as a blog in 2012 when founder Inga Cotton was inspired to help San Antonio families more easily find good information about high-quality school options.
- Judge sides with teachers’ unions in suit over outside school management arising from a San Antonio case
- > Jun 19, 7:33 AM: A judge in Travis County has ruled in favor of two statewide teachers unions in a lawsuit against the Texas Education Agency that stemmed from an agreement to let a New York-based charter network manage an elementary
- Teacher associations in Texas say ‘hell no’ to education official’s plans to reopen campuses in fall
- > Jun 19, 6:45 AM: The Texas American Federation of Teachers and The Texas State Teachers Association are cautioning against Education Commissioner Mike Morath’s return-to-campus plan, saying the safety of students and staff should take
- Mattress Mack opening tuition-free charter school that offers vocational training and more
- > Jun 17, 5:58 AM: There will be a new opportunity this fall for students who want to learn a vocational skill or prepare for a path to higher education. Premier High School will offer students tuition-free education and training in
- Longview ISD charter school application approved by the TEA
- Jun 17, 5:41 AM: Longview ISD’s application to turn six schools into charter schools has been approved by the Texas Education Agency.
- Following backlash, IDEA charter schools promise spending, leadership reforms
- > Jun 16, 6:16 AM: When the leaders of IDEA Public Schools gathered last December to vote on an eight-year lease for a private jet, the charter network’s then-board chair, David Guerra, thought of the nearly $15-million deal in business
- State Law on Superintendent Severance Excludes Charter Schools
- > Jun 4, 8:17 AM: State law gives the Commissioner of Education power to reduce a school district’s funding by the amount that a superintendent’s severance payment exceeds one year’s salary and benefits. But the relevant section of the
- Editorial: Even Janus Is Bigger in Texas
- > Jun 1, 8:50 AM: The Attorney General of Texas, Ken Paxton, plans to release an advisory opinion soon that could help free public employees who are fed up with their union. In 2018 in Janus v. Afscme, the Supreme Court said that union fees
- How a low-income school district in El Paso used year-round school to achieve top marks
- > Jun 1, 6:08 AM: As school districts across the state look for ways to safely and effectively reopen schools in the fall, Texas Education Agency Commissioner Mike Morath has proposed different options including a year-round
- Commentary: Charter schools boost all students
- May 27, 7:42 AM: Getting children into schools that work for them can change entire families and entire communities forever. Charter schools are proud to play a part in this change.
- Longview ISD could get $52 million from charter partnerships, $5 million would go to student needs
- > May 26, 6:29 AM: Longview ISD expects to receive about $52 million in state funds related to its new charter school partnerships, pending Texas Education Agency approval. Just more than $5 million of that will be allocated to the campuses
- Education Advocates raise concern about Dallas Charters
- > May 18, 7:17 AM: Education advocates in Dallas today released information about two charter schools proposed for the Dallas area that raise concerns about the education and fiscal impact the schools would have on students at Dallas ISD.
- Letters: Oversight of charter schools needs more sunlight
- > May 18, 7:06 AM: Regarding “HISD plans greater academic, financial oversight of in-district charters” (May 13): The misappropriation of millions of educational dollars deserves to be headline news. No one reading this headline would ever
- TEA offers tool for parents, schools to measure students' potential 'COVID Slide'
- May 14, 7:51 AM: The Texas Education Agency has launched a free tool for parents and schools to determine their students' academic progress since in-person classes were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 'It's been chaotic' | Parents struggle with possibility of more remote learning next school year
- May 14, 6:25 AM: The Texas Education Agency is recommending sweeping school calendar changes to help deal with the “devastating impact” of COVID-19 on student achievement.
- Margaret Spellings: Pandemic highlights Texas' educational shortcomings
- > May 8, 8:10 AM: In all of these ways, Texas has responded to the coronavirus with determination. Now, Texans everywhere — from the Governor’s Mansion to family dinner tables — are charting a course to the future. We must learn from the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%