- Transition to College: Porter summer graduates complete SASS readiness program
- > Jul 15, 7:23 AM: Twenty-three summer graduates of Porter Early College High School will graduate next month with their college entrance paperwork complete, registered for classes at Texas Southmost College and with their first
- El Paso area school boards oppose charter school expansion fueled by federal funds
- > Jul 15, 5:17 AM: As charter schools expand in El Paso, fueled by a sizable federal grant, three of the county's smaller districts are hoping recent resolutions will prevent students from leaving and encourage lawmakers to do more to quell
- Editorial: IDEA announcement is the type of education transformation our community needs
- Jul 15, 5:11 AM: The announcement that IDEA Public Schools will open 14 schools in Midland-Odessa by the 2024-25 school year is the type of education transformation our community needs.
- Column: Higher education is for all ages
- > Jul 9, 6:01 AM: Since our founding in 1985, Palo Alto College has remained dedicated to ensuring educational access for students of all ages. Our students range from high school graduates entering college for the first time or individuals
- The Charter Effect: Students Flock To School Districts Outside San Antonio
- > Jul 3, 5:51 AM: The rapid growth of charter schools throughout Bexar County, combined with an increase in housing options outside the city, has catapulted enrollment growth in neighboring counties ahead of San Antonio, according to a TPR
- The Charter Effect: Enrollment Loss Hits San Antonio’s ‘Destination’ Districts
- > Jul 1, 7:03 AM: The San Antonio-New Braunfels Metropolitan Area has two of the fastest growing cities in the country. But according to Texas enrollment data, the region’s traditional public schools lost nearly 4,000 students between 2017
- Fiery Debate on Charter Partnership Renewed at Dallas School Board Meeting
- > Jun 28, 6:39 AM: A controversial deal to convert some prekindergarten classrooms into charter campuses within the Dallas school district on Thursday again drew sharp criticism from opponents who say they worry about the privatization of
- Local colleges work to connect students, employers to bridge "skills gap"
- Jun 24, 8:10 AM: In this installment, we’ll look at the education portion of the jobs equation, talking with officials at local colleges about their efforts to connect willing workers with companies that need them.
- Opinion: Texas' new, $6.5-billion-larger investment in public education is a good start
- > Jun 20, 5:30 AM: Texas families should be appreciative that Republican and Democratic lawmakers were able to advance a funding bill that provides additional support to public schools, which includes opportunities for increased teacher pay
- School choice advocates face uphill battle in Texas Legislature
- > Jun 19, 5:22 AM: As state lawmakers commit to adjusting the public school finance system in Texas, a push for ‘school choice’ — using public education money to pay for other forms of education services — is fading.
- North Texas charter school among top in U.S. with all 65 graduates accepted into college
- > Jun 18, 7:00 AM: Westlake Academy’s first graduating class was in the 2009-10 school year. Now, a decade later, the school has soundly established itself as one of the top academic schools in Texas and the United States.
- Hallsville ISD virtual school graduates students across state
- Jun 17, 5:09 AM: The Texas Virtual Academy at Hallsville graduated 308 seniors from across the state June 7 at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth.
- New charter operator targets Austin district
- Jun 13, 7:45 AM: The founder of Harmony Public Schools, one of the largest charter school networks in Texas, wants to open a slate of new charter schools, called Royal Public Schools, in Austin and Houston by August 2020.
- TEA Announces Charter School Expansions to Meet Parent Demands
- > Jun 13, 5:52 AM: On Monday, Education Commissioner Mike Morath announced that the Texas Education Agency had approved five new public charter school operators to potentially open new schools as early as the 2020-21 school year.
- Editorial: Public education reforms lack financial sustainability
- > Jun 12, 7:13 AM: The Texas Legislature did well by public school children this session, but a permanent — sustainable — fix is still needed. Decades of neglect cannot be corrected in one legislative session, but it was nonetheless
- IDEA Public Schools to partner with Midland ISD come August 2020
- Jun 12, 6:40 AM: From under performing schools to top performing charter schools, Bethany Solis says IDEA Schools are where all children can succeed and that they are just what Travis Elementary needs to get back on track.
- The New Vocational High School: an Innovative Campus and a Bistro
- Jun 3, 8:16 AM: As more students nationwide pursue career training in school, students in Texas draw blood, make omelets and run a bank branch
- Students say goodbye to a San Antonio school sunk by state law
- > May 30, 7:49 AM: Rodriguez Elementary is closing, the only San Antonio school so far forced to send its students elsewhere under a relatively new law allowing the state to shutter campuses that haven’t met academic standards for five
- Recapture, high-poverty districts among biggest winners in school finance reform
- > May 29, 5:00 AM: For districts like Spring Branch that increasingly pay into “recapture,” the state’s method of creating equity among property-wealthy and property-poor districts, the only hope for reversing course rested this spring with
- In Texas education funding plan, more teacher ‘compensation’ isn’t necessarily pay raises
- > May 28, 4:47 AM: Public school teachers in Texas could see a pay raise under the Legislature’s sweeping education reform bill, but the size depends on the district, which can choose whether to boost salaries or put the money toward health
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%