- Waco ISD charter partnership leaves little room for early exit
- > Sep 17, 5:28 AM: Four of five threatened Transformation Waco schools met state standards last year, but elected Waco ISD officials will have little recourse to reclaim the schools or exert control over the direction of the nonprofit’s
- School leaders to city: stop helping charters expand
- > Sep 14, 6:30 AM: Local school districts, in their most direct challenge yet to charter school expansion, asked City Council members to think about how a vote Thursday to allow a major charter network to issue tax-exempt bonds would hurt
- Najim donates $1 million to San Antonio charter schools
- Sep 13, 6:28 AM: Local philanthropist Harvey Najim has donated $1 million to KIPP Texas San Antonio, some of which will support the charter network’s efforts to open its second high school in the city.
- Texas high school students who take dual credit classes graduate college up to a year faster, officials say
- Sep 13, 5:39 AM: High school students who took dual credit classes graduated with a college degree about a year faster than students who didn't, according to data presented to Texas lawmakers Wednesday.
- IDEA charter schools open in El Paso, with plans for 20 campuses by 2023
- Sep 11, 4:52 AM: The first two El Paso campuses of a statewide charter chain are up and running, kicking off a period of expansion in the number of school options for parents and students.
- Opinion: Too many children on wait lists for charter schools
- > Sep 10, 5:19 AM: The message is clear — every kid, no matter his or her zip code deserves the chance to succeed. But if we want San Antonio to move forward and set our city up for prosperity down the road, we must do more now. We must
- Dallas ISD hits its enrollment projections early, thanks to new programs, improving schools
- Sep 10, 5:04 AM: The development of the collegiate academies — now in nearly every comprehensive high school in the district — has provided parents with a nearby high-quality option, they said.
- Houston officials fear a potential decline in Hispanic students
- > Sep 7, 5:39 AM: Garcia, a Houston Democrat, worried that a combination of students still displaced by Hurricane Harvey and fears over immigration actions may have led parents to keep their students home rather than enrolling them in local
- Texas expects thousands more special education students. But where are the teachers?
- > Sep 6, 6:34 AM: Thousands of Texas students are now eligible to receive special education services after state officials eliminated an illegal cap on the number of students eligible for special education. That means Texas lawmakers will
- Online academy provides alternative public education for Texas students
- Sep 6, 6:26 AM: Online public schools like the Texas Connections Academy are attracting thousands of Texas students each year who are seeking an alternative to the traditional brick and mortar educational setting.
- Texas teachers unions sue education agency over charter partnership law
- > Aug 30, 6:04 AM: Two teacher associations sued Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath and the Texas Education Agency on Wednesday, arguing they rolled out a law incentivizing partnerships with school districts and charter schools in a
- Dual credit programs are good for Texas, but need improvement
- > Aug 29, 5:04 AM: Dual credit education programs have grown dramatically in Texas as the state and school districts seek to better prepare their students for success in college and the workplace. These programs enable high school students
- Are charters better than traditional schools? Texas’ A-F grading system suggests maybe not
- > Aug 24, 7:17 AM: Statewide, charters had a larger rate of schools graded 'A' under the new accountability system. Traditional school districts had a much lower rate of F's. And in North Texas, traditional schools generally outperformed
- Editorial: HISD board must choose leader to save failing schools
- > Aug 23, 5:59 AM: But at the more than two dozen schools that fell short, students are being robbed of a path to a better future.At Kashmere, students already grappling with inter-generational poverty (87 percent are considered economically
- Academy opens to new optimism
- > Aug 21, 6:33 AM: Earlier this year, nearly 500 parents, teachers, and school supporters protested the academy's possible closure. Today, they are confident of the academy's future with the school’s charter organization, the University of
- Almost 4,000 students statewide enrolled in Hallsville ISD's virtual school
- Aug 21, 5:47 AM: Nearly 4,000 students statewide are enrolled in Hallsville Independent School District’s online school, an administrator announced during a school board meeting Monday night.
- As first bell rings Monday, Mendez Middle School gets second chance
- > Aug 20, 7:20 AM: Monday is the first day of school for all Austin district campuses, and Mendez, which has failed state academic standards for five consecutive years, reopens as an in-district charter campus led by Carrillo-Rowley and run
- PolitiFact: Increasing share of state money goes to charter schools
- Aug 20, 6:01 AM: A Democratic legislator declared that state aid fully fuels Texas charter schools while schools serving the vast bulk of students field less money.
- Letter: Every student deserves to be college ready
- > Aug 20, 5:11 AM: Let’s look at the success of IDEA Public Schools, where students are graduating at a rate more than four times the national average for low-income students. Quality public charter schools such as IDEA, where I’m a school
- Dallas ISD has become a great choice for parents, but navigating the schools can be daunting
- > Aug 17, 4:44 AM: Dallas ISD now offers an incredibly diverse set of school choices with many of the state's best teachers providing high-quality public education for its students, and it comes at a perfect time. As living in Dallas becomes
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%