- Campus takeover upsets parents
- May 21, 6:24 AM: A group of parents of University of Texas Permian Basin STEM Academy students voiced their concerns during a Monday news conference about IDEA Public Schools taking over the campus.
- Commentary: The war on poverty in Texas will be won in public education, and the Legislature must do its part
- > May 20, 7:27 AM: We cannot hope to break the stranglehold of intergenerational poverty in our communities if our public education system continues to leave our low-income students behind. We know that a postsecondary credential is
- Can pay raises help rural Texas districts like Buffalo retain teachers?
- > May 17, 5:35 AM: Starting teacher pay in Buffalo is thousands below the state average, and it's hard to attract people from outside the small town. The district's superintendent hopes school finance reform will help.
- Trinity launches incubator for new public and charter schools
- May 17, 4:53 AM: Trinity University is launching an incubator for principals looking to open “innovative, high-quality” public and charter schools, funded by a $5 million grant from the Walton Family Foundation.
- Editorial: Houston drops Teach For America, while Dallas keeps making smart choices
- > May 14, 7:10 AM: Sometimes, it’s hard to know how good we’ve got it until we see how badly others are doing. Take public schools. We rightly spend a lot of time worrying about the performance of Dallas ISD, even as we’ve taken comfort in
- ‘A School Everywhere On The Map’: IDEA’s Big Plans For San Antonio
- > May 3, 7:05 AM: San Antonio’s largest charter school network is gearing up for a fast-paced expansion over the next three years. IDEA Public Schools plans to add 15 schools in Bexar County by 2022, doubling its local enrollment to nearly
- Commentary: Civics class can save U.S. democracy
- > May 2, 7:41 AM: As Americans, we are all inculcated with democratic values early in life. "Majority rules" determines the games we play, and "fairness" ensures that no one ought to play with a toy for any longer than the rest. Democracy
- To better market its schools, Austin ISD is turning to Realtors
- > May 2, 6:31 AM: It’s one way AISD is trying to lure more families into its schools as it faces an enrollment crisis. The district has lost thousands of students over the last decade, because of a combination of families leaving to live in
- As Longview ISD faces charter deadline, Pine Tree ISD explores options
- May 1, 6:04 AM: As the clock ticks on the deadline for Longview ISD to modify its state application for six charter campuses, Pine Tree ISD is considering turning one of its schools or programs into a charter.
- Texas Lawmakers Consider Boosting Dual Credit Education Program As More Students Opt In
- > Apr 29, 7:26 AM: Texas now has 169 early-college high schools. The model for early colleges is different than traditional public high schools. Students are placed in smaller classes and are specifically prepared to take college courses.
- Federal money to fuel charter expansion, including IDEA’s big San Antonio plans
- > Apr 26, 5:00 AM: Officials at San Antonio’s largest charter school network want to have campuses within 10 minutes of every family in the city — a goal they now believe reachable in five years thanks to a $116 million grant from the U.S.
- Every student in IDEA Public Schools' entire first class is headed to college
- > Apr 18, 6:50 AM: There are 83 seniors in IDEA Montopolis' graduating class, the first group to graduate from the IDEA schools in Austin. All of those seniors attending this Austin charter school have been accepted to college.
- Opinion: Higher pay will not solve Texas teacher shortage
- > Apr 16, 7:42 AM: The plan recently unveiled by Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., for the largest federal investment in teacher salaries in U.S. history to solve the perennial teacher shortage has particular relevance for Texas. With some
- Aiming to cut expulsions, YES Prep opens disciplinary alternative education program
- > Apr 16, 7:07 AM: Before YES Prep Public Schools opened Thrive last September, its first foray into running a disciplinary alternative education program, students sitting around the circle likely would have not gotten a second chance at the
- Local charter schools not immune from facility challenges
- > Apr 16, 6:02 AM: St. Vrain Community Montessori School's 270 students attend classes in two rented buildings plus two mobile classrooms in an industrial area of south Longmont. The 10-year-old charter school's playgrounds are in fenced-off
- New program would allow high school students to graduate as certified registered nurses
- > Apr 16, 5:09 AM: Some local students interested in a career in nursing will have an opportunity to earn a degree while in high school. The proposed program in the works at Fox Tech High School and would be the second within the San Antonio
- Teacher alliance says SAISD rushed decision to partner with charter school nonprofits
- > Apr 12, 7:09 AM: The San Antonio Alliance of Teachers and School Personnel is coming out against a decision by the San Antonio Independent School District to hand over management of 18 schools to five nonprofit charter school
- Texas charter schools are facing more backlash this year, but could also receive more cash
- Apr 9, 5:57 AM: School finance reform could bring the privately operated public schools a windfall. But traditional public school advocates are still fighting the charters' expansion.
- HISD charter schools to stay open despite financial, conflict-of-interest concerns
- > Apr 5, 6:39 AM: Three interconnected charter school networks will remain open next year despite scrutiny of payments and loans totaling at least $17 million to a company owned by the charters’ highest-ranking employee.
- Opinion: Collaboration with nonprofits will empower schools
- > Apr 2, 5:43 AM: However, the positive momentum and successes on behalf of our students have been mired with misinformation and false claims about SAISD’s transformational efforts. The most recent focus has been on 19 of our schools that
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%