- IDEA breaks ground on El Paso charter school
- Sep 12, 5:39 AM: IDEA Public Schools, a fast-growing Texas charter school network, broke ground Thursday on its first El Paso campus.
- As students return to schools on Monday, the future of Houston ISD hangs in the balance
- > Sep 11, 6:55 AM: In Houston ISD, about 80 of 280 schools will likely not start the school year until Sept. 18 or 25, giving workers more time to complete repairs. Students at nine of these schools will be relocated to other campuses,
- Charter schools become popular choice in San Antonio
- Sep 8, 6:08 AM: Grade school campuses that don't belong to local public or private schools are popping up all over San Antonio. Tuition-free charter schools are becoming a popular choice for families in San Antonio.
- Sharyland ISD to experiment with open-enrollment
- > Sep 5, 6:28 AM: In a somewhat uncommon approach to resolving a potential enrollment decline, Sharyland Independent School District officials recently opted to marginally open the door to out-of-district students for the first time in
- Harvey wreaks havoc on Houston schools
- > Aug 31, 6:57 AM: Across Houston, classes were scheduled to begin last Monday, but Harvey scuttled those plans, not just for Houston Independent School District — Texas’ largest and the USA’s fourth-largest — but for systems throughout the
- School Closings From Harvey Threaten Disruption Across Texas
- > Aug 30, 7:05 AM: The situation recalled one that many New Orleans residents faced in 2005, when Hurricane Katrina severely damaged most public school buildings and incited sweeping education reform efforts that remain controversial 12
- Bill boosts funding for local, state charter schools
- Aug 28, 5:54 AM: A school finance bill signed into law recently by Gov. Greg Abbott includes a first: money that state charter schools can use to pay for new facilities.
- Dallas ISD may close the book on this crafty way charter schools poach students
- > Aug 25, 6:05 AM: Dallas ISD trustees want to make it harder for charter schools to poach their students. The board is expected next month to discuss limiting access to directory information that’s long been public. The directory is often
- Charter Schools Get Boost From Texas Lawmakers
- Aug 23, 6:07 AM: Charter networks, like Harmony Public Schools, will start to receive $200 per student for buildings and other facilities, like science labs and playgrounds, starting in the 2018-19 school year.
- Solar eclipse provides unique science lesson for SFA Charter School students
- > Aug 22, 6:58 AM: Many schools in East Texas that kicked off their fall semester Monday, and the solar eclipse provided a perfect science lesson for students. Stephen F. Austin State University’s Charter School took advantage of the show in
- State could seize control or close campuses if four Dallas ISD schools don't improve
- > Aug 22, 5:38 AM: Despite making big strides with its lowest-performing campuses, Dallas ISD still has a massive task for the upcoming school year: If four campuses don't do better, the state will either shut them down or take over the
- New Compass Academy building ready to open
- > Aug 21, 4:51 AM: As Compass Academy Charter School teachers — and administrators — moved into their new building near CrossRoads Fellowship church earlier this week, they had smiles on their faces and a skip in their steps.
- Waco ISD looks to new strategies for new year as 6 schools fail standards again
- Aug 16, 5:17 AM: All six campuses remaining on the list have failed standards for at least three years in a row, and the district’s new Superintendent A. Marcus Nelson said he plans to change that for the better.
- "Disappointed" House accepts Senate's changes to school finance bill
- > Aug 16, 4:52 AM: After three hours of private negotiations and almost two hours of public debate Tuesday, the Texas House decided to agree with the Senate's decision to strip funding and reforms from a school finance bill.
- High-Tech High School Opens Doors to First Students
- > Aug 15, 6:45 AM: The Centers for Applied Science and Technologies, or CAST Tech, was developed through a public-private partnership among SAISD, Tech Bloc, H-E-B, and other supporters. The school brings new life and innovation to the
- Charter school advocates hope school finance deal includes facility funding
- > Aug 15, 5:14 AM: Time is running out for Texas lawmakers to reform school financing. The House and Senate both passed a version of House Bill 21 and a committee is working to hammer out a compromise before the special session ends
- Texas House, Senate move toward school finance compromise
- > Aug 15, 4:58 AM: After days of staring each other down over whether and how to improve the way the state funds its public schools, the Texas House and Senate both blinked Monday, with each passing the other's priority school finance
- HISD declines to throw lifeline to low-performing charter
- Aug 14, 6:14 AM: Houston ISD trustees opted not to save an under-performing charter school on Thursday, voting 3-4 against making the C.O.R.E. Academy an in-district charter school.
- Parents told their charter school district is over and out
- > Aug 11, 6:03 AM: When parents and staff drove up to Career Paths High School on Wednesday, they were greeted by a large banner emblazoned with “NOW ENROLLING” in red block letters. But Texas Education Agency officials who met with them
- HISD given possible third option to deal with struggling schools
- > Aug 11, 5:56 AM: Rather than close those schools or have them taken over by a state-appointed Board of Managers, which appeared to be the only options offered in a state law due to go into full effect next year, TEA officials said HISD
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%