- This is how rural South Texas schools will bring the big world to students
- > Mar 14, 5:40 AM: Texas has more schools in rural areas than any other state. In the 2015-2016 school year, rural schools, as classified by the Texas Education Agency, accounted for 459 of the 1,247 school districts in Texas. Having led
- Dallas ISD's merit-based teacher pay becomes flash point in Texas House's school funding debate
- > Mar 13, 7:06 AM: The Texas House's $9 billion school funding plan had its first public vetting Tuesday, with school advocates and officials at odds over the pros and cons of a merit pay system partially inspired by Dallas ISD.
- Opinion: Charter schools step in when ISDs fail
- > Mar 11, 5:02 AM: We all know a one-size-fits-all approach to education doesn’t work. That’s why public charter schools offer students of all kinds the personal attention, creativity and passionate teaching that they need to really learn.
- Good Reason Houston aims for 60K more students in top-rated schools
- > Mar 8, 7:08 AM: Good Reason Houston, an education nonprofit backed by some of Houston’s most prominent business and philanthropic leaders, unveiled an audacious goal Thursday: 60,000 more seats in highly-rated schools across the region by
- Report: 10,000 Austin-area students on charter schools’ wait lists
Nearly 10,000 students in the Austin area are on waiting lists to enroll in a local charter school, according to updated data released Wednesday by the Texas Charter Schools Association.
Mar 8, 7:00 AM:
- Editorial: Finally, a plan to put real money into Texas schools
- > Mar 8, 6:42 AM: It’s a good plan, not a perfect one. It emerged in the House, not the Senate. Its chances of passing intact largely depend on the intestinal fortitude of Speaker Dennis Bonnen and vocal support from regular Texans.
- ‘We’re failing our kids.’ Texas House raises stakes in school funding debate
- > Mar 6, 7:12 AM: The House plan would pump $9 billion new dollars into education and school tax cuts over the next two years. It calls for full-day prekindergarten for low-income kids, invests more money in teaching students who don’t
- New IDEA El Paso charter school threatens EPISD enrollment
- Mar 5, 8:04 AM: The newest IDEA charter school in El Paso will go up on the west side of town. It is inside the El Paso Independent School District zone and could take some students, and money, from the existing schools.
- Gov. Greg Abbott raves about Dallas' teacher incentive pay program. But it's hard to replicate.
- Mar 4, 6:40 AM: Dallas ISD spearheaded a program that floods its low-performing schools with the best resources, including highly-rated educators who get paid large stipends. Lawmakers want to see it expanded.
- Charter school looking at Sherman, Denison
- Feb 22, 6:24 AM: A new charter school is taking public input to gauge interest in bringing a new campus to either Sherman or Denison.
- Texas schools hone message: Charter deals are about more money, choices
- Feb 14, 6:31 AM: Call it what you want, but a charter school is a charter school, and critics of private partnerships with traditional districts are not happy with plans to enter into such partnerships.
- San Antonio ISD is weighing multiple partnerships to run schools
- > Feb 14, 6:08 AM: Attracted by the prospect of more autonomy and better state funding under a new law that occasionally has led to controversy, principals of as many as 10 campuses in the San Antonio Independent School District are
- Two Houston charter school pioneers seeking new campuses
- Feb 13, 7:47 AM: Former leaders of the Harmony and YES Prep public schools networks each want to start new charter ventures in the Houston area, potentially enrolling thousands of students.
- Commentary: Dallas is the perfect city for a prep school that helps low-income kids pay their own tuition
- > Feb 11, 6:15 AM: Diversity leads to innovation. That is as true in education as it is in business. Just like traditional public education, charter schools and traditional private schools, Cristo Rey Dallas is not a model that works for
- How One Tiny School District In Rural West Texas Is Making It Work
- > Feb 5, 7:17 AM: In the tiny West Texas town of Valentine, population 130, there’s no gas station, and it’s a 30-mile drive to the nearest grocery store. But there is a school, and somehow, year after year, it outperforms the state average
- Proposed Grayson County charter school draws concern from superintendents
- > Feb 5, 7:04 AM: Norton said the school will offer outdoor learning, like gardening and learning about animals, along with partnering with local business owners to learn about entrepreneurship.Denison ISD Superintendent Henry Scott has
- Public schools concerned about potential charter school in Whitewright
- Feb 4, 6:47 AM: Non-profit organization Frontier Education Foundation hopes to open a charter school in Whitewright by the start of the 2020 school year — and local public schools officials have voiced concerns.
- Parents choosing online schooling over brick and mortar schools
- Jan 31, 6:24 AM: Online learning with schools, like Texas Connections, has an enrollment of 6,000 students a year in Texas, with more enrollment growing every year.
- Charter school 'timeout' proposal sparks debate in Texas
- Jan 28, 8:38 AM: On Jan. 23 Texas American Federation of Teachers called on state lawmakers to put a moratorium on any new charter schools in Texas until reforms are made in the charter system.
- Katy ISD’s virtual school enters 5th year, sees enrollment surge
- Jan 25, 7:00 AM: More students than ever before might soon have a chance to study a classical language- and from the comfort of their own home.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Houston Public Radio 17%
- Beaumont Enterprise 17%