- Medicaid, vouchers among hot topics as legislative session nears
- > Jan 7, 6:28 AM: A question was asked about vouchers for private school education after Gov.-elect Bill Lee has said he’s in favor of them. Most of the legislators who were present said they were against school vouchers, particularly state
- Opinion: Here are three things Tennessee needs to focus on to further improve education and opportun
- Jan 4, 8:27 AM: With the support of Gov.-elect Bill Lee and the legislature, Tennessee can make more strides to improve its technical education programs.
- Column: Let's resolve to put every child in a great school
- > Jan 2, 7:19 AM: A new year is upon us and it is time for resolutions to be made. As parents of children in Memphis, we face so many barriers to getting our children into great public schools, and it can seem like the system is stacked
- School choice in Hamilton County: 4 things parents should know
- Jan 2, 5:32 AM: Public, private, magnet, charter, career institutes, homeschool — parents have a variety of options when it comes to educating their children.
- Nashville Charter School Chided Over College Acceptance Requirement
- Dec 27, 7:05 AM: Metro education officials are reminding one of the largest charter schools in Nashville — LEAD Public Schools — it can’t make college acceptance a high school graduation requirement.
- Local education leaders warn against vouchers
- Dec 26, 7:34 AM: Both local school boards and members of Rutherford County’s legislative delegation discussed educational concerns at a joint meeting Wednesday, and vouchers drew much of their attention.
- Fewer students are attending Nashville's public schools, and gentrification may be to blame
- Dec 20, 8:22 AM: Nashville public schools enrollment dropped to 85,287 students in the 2018-19 school year, a decline that a district official said is likely due to the city's changing neighborhoods.
- Knox County School Board opposes school vouchers
- > Dec 14, 5:48 AM: Ahead of the next legislative session under Gov.-elect Bill Lee, who has publicly expressed support for a school voucher program, the Knox County Board of Education at its Wednesday night meeting passed a resolution
- Hamilton County school board expands school choice for students
- Dec 14, 5:44 AM: The Hamilton County school board has added seven open enrollment schools to more than 40 'choice' options across the district.
- Gov.-elect Bill Lee open to supporting school voucher legislation for Tennessee students
- Dec 11, 7:25 AM: Gov.-elect Bill Lee said Monday he is open to promoting a school voucher program as part of his upcoming legislative agenda and committed himself to being an advocate for school choice in Tennessee.
- Gov. Bill Haslam: K-12 schools hold the key to increased college graduation rates
- Dec 11, 7:16 AM: The key to better community college graduation rates among Tennessee students lies in improved results in the state's K-12 system.
- How Tennessee districts are honing in on strategies to address struggling schools
- > Dec 11, 6:27 AM: The roadmap to improve struggling schools includes effectively retaining teachers, and leaders that are qualified for the work in the building, according to a recently published study by Tennessee's research partner.
- Nashville Mayor David Briley proposes $1 million investment to boost college graduation rates
- > Dec 7, 8:43 AM: A city-funded effort in Nashville would seek to increase college graduation rates by taking over where the popular Tennessee Promise model leaves off by creating scholarships for books, transportation and living expenses.
- Shelby County Schools board votes to close a Whitehaven charter school; City University to appeal
- Dec 5, 7:33 AM: A Whitehaven charter school will have to appeal to the state for any hope of staying open next year following a vote from the Shelby County Schools board on Tuesday.
- Opinion: More flexibility for Tennessee parents
- > Dec 5, 6:41 AM: This National School Choice Week, as we gather in Tennessee for some of the more than 40,000 events celebrating educational choice the week of Jan. 20-26, we should resolve to close those access gaps facing parents. Let’s
- Opinion: A K12 Education Agenda We Should Embrace
- > Dec 4, 7:38 AM: I am excited about the future of public education in Tennessee. Many critics like to point out some of the shortcomings of our system, and rightly so. A one size fits all system does not work for everyone. It never has,
- Gov.-elect Lee names Tennessee voucher advocate as his policy director
- > Nov 28, 6:17 AM: The incoming Republican governor named Tony Niknejad to one of a handful of senior staff positions on Tuesday as he announced his first round of key appointments. Niknejad previously served as policy director of Lee’s
- Public will weigh in as district recommends closing one charter school, renewing three
- > Nov 28, 5:56 AM: Shelby County Schools is recommending a vote to close City University Boys Preparatory. But Memphis school board members want to give school leaders and the public a chance to weigh in before they decide whether or not to
- APSU and CMCSS form stronger partnership for preparing local teachers
- > Nov 27, 6:39 AM: "We were after the same things, our goals were the same,” Barron said. “We want to produce quality teacher candidates, and they want to hire quality teacher candidates. They want to retain them in the school district after
- Dorsey Hopson resigns from Shelby County Schools, accepts job with Cigna
- > Nov 21, 6:14 AM: Hopson guided SCS through financial troubles, a grade-tampering scandal and years of changing standards and assessments at the state level. His legacy includes a focus on equity, a nationally recognized improvement program
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%