- As more colleges partner with SCS, lines between lower, higher education blur in Memphis
- > Mar 12, 6:40 AM: As Shelby County Schools students struggle to leave high school ready for college — just 9.6 percent of SCS seniors last year were considered college-ready by ACT benchmarks — higher education leaders are seeing a need to
- Letter: Need For Vocational And Technical Education In Inner-City Schools - And Response
- > Mar 9, 6:12 AM: The state of Career Readiness, which encompasses CTE, is a persistent source of dismay for many inner-city residents. Indeed, from the establishment of many HBCU’s at the turn of the 20th century, to the prowess of figures
- Memphian among the four candidates vying to lead Tennessee's Achievement School District
- Mar 9, 5:31 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education has identified four candidates, including one from Memphis, to lead the state's Achievement School District, which aims to turn around struggling schools.
- Tennessee announces new career and technical education certificates in state high schools
- Mar 8, 6:53 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education on Wednesday announced 21 new career and technical education certificates it will be implementing in schools in the 2018-19 year.
- SCS ready to defy state on its plan for two schools, but is it too little, too late?
- Feb 28, 7:51 AM: Shelby County Schools will reject the state's plans for two local schools in desperate need of interventions, an attempt to keep both schools open and under SCS control.
- Entire Soulsville Charter School graduating class accepted to four year colleges, universities
- Feb 28, 6:34 AM: The school has sent every graduating class member to college since the first class left seven years ago. Senior Jonathon Lee told FOX13 it is because of the environment and standards they set.
- State Teacher Preparation Report Card released
- > Feb 26, 7:44 AM: The Teacher Preparation Report Card recently released by the Tennessee Department of Education and Board of Education show Lee University has made some minor improvements to its educational programs over the past year.
- Gov. Bill Haslam convened a ‘power meeting’ between Tennessee’s charter school and district leaders. Here’s why.
- > Feb 23, 6:53 AM: There isn’t a charter school within 100 miles of Rep. John Forgety’s district, but the East Tennessee lawmaker has become the mediator in a lingering dispute between the state’s charter sector and its two largest school
- SCS Draws Battle Lines for ESSA Standards
- > Feb 22, 6:11 AM: For several weeks Tennessee Education Commissioner Candice McQueen and Shelby County Schools superintendent Dorsey Hopson have been talking about what happens to two failing Memphis schools – American Way Middle and
- Shelby County Schools resisting state's recommendations for two long-struggling schools
- Feb 21, 6:26 AM: Shelby County Schools is pushing back on the state's recommendations for the future of two long-struggling schools.
- Ivy Academy expands campus, introduces Environmental Institute
- > Feb 19, 9:34 AM: Academy Chattanooga, a public charter school for grades 6-12 with a focus on the environment, is introducing a new Environmental Institute for high schoolers and recently broke ground on new academic buildings to be
- Williamson Schools to take 'blended learning' approach to online courses
- > Feb 19, 8:55 AM: Williamson County Schools will offer online courses this fall, joining a growing number of districts nationwide offering virtual learning. The district already embraces technology in the classroom — students bring their
- Tennessee education chief unveils plan for five failing Hamilton County schools
- > Feb 9, 6:43 AM: The state of Tennessee's latest plan for Hamilton County's lowest-performing schools, which does not include a state takeover of the five worst schools, was met with enthusiasm at a school board work session Thursday
- Missed tax payment prompts IRS to file lien in Nashville against Rocketship Public Schools
- Feb 9, 6:24 AM: National charter school operator Rocketship Public Schools owes more $19,000 in unpaid federal taxes, prompting the Internal Revenue Service to file a lien against the company in Nashville.
- Here are Seven Memphis Charter Schools in Danger of Closing
- > Feb 5, 8:11 AM: The district’s newly released school performance scorecard rated seven of its 51 charters below 2 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the top score. Under a new accountability system for charter schools, those that fall
- New plan could save Jubilee Catholic Schools
- > Feb 5, 6:52 AM: After 20 years of serving Memphis low-income families, the Jubilee Schools’ doors are set to close at the end of the 2018-2019 school year as the result of a lack of sustainable funding. New Day Incorporated, led by
- Local Charter Group Signals Intent to Take Over Catholic Jubilee Schools
- > Feb 2, 6:51 AM: A Memphis charter school group led by the president of Christian Brothers University is preparing its paperwork to apply with the state and Shelby County Schools to convert nine Catholic schools in the city to charter
- One of Nashville's Achievement School District schools to close months after opening
- Feb 2, 6:27 AM: One of Nashville's three Achievement School District schools will close at the end of the semester due to low enrollment, just months after it opened.
- SCS rates its own schools on a new scorecard, but not everyone is convinced that's a good idea
- Feb 1, 8:10 AM: A new performance scorecard from Shelby County Schools, in the works for the last three years, aims to help parents make informed decisions when choosing a school for their children.
- Do schools lose ground when losing top teachers to turnaround schools? A little, but it’s worth it, say Tennessee researchers
- Feb 1, 7:59 AM: Since 2012, Tennessee has used financial incentives to lure some of its most effective teachers to work in struggling schools under an intense turnaround model known as the Innovation Zone.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%