- Memphis colleges are training more teachers of color, new study shows
- > Jul 18, 6:23 AM: Teaching degree programs at four-year institutions nationwide are disproportionately white, according to new Urban Institute data. But things look different in Memphis, where two local colleges, the University of Memphis
- How Tennessee leaders hope a change can help increase the number of students ready for the workforce
- > Jul 13, 6:01 AM: The state says by rebranding as Tennessee Pathways, the initiative will continue to focus on locally driven partnerships while extending its reach into more counties and across all grade levels to prepare more students.
- What Do Statewide Candidates Say About Education in Tennessee?
Gov. Bill Haslam and the General Assembly have invested in education during the last eight years. Has that been a good investment and should it continue? What do the candidates propose for the next four to eight >
Jul 10, 4:21 AM:
- Column: Despite innovative approaches to education, Tennessee children still lagging
- > Jul 9, 4:42 AM: Bill Haslam has been determined that he would leave office with a legacy as an "education" governor. His work on the Tennessee Promise scholarship and mentoring program is a good example of that desire. Promise ensures
- Experimental school, Preferred Flex Academy, coming to Blount County
- Jul 6, 5:58 AM: Starting this fall, 30 K-5th grade students will have the chance to try a new type of schooling. Preferred Flex Academy offers a homeschool structure with a public school curriculum.
- Amid renewed focus on job training in high school, Memphis students consider their options
- > Jul 6, 4:55 AM: Shelby County Schools’ new budget dedicates $6.7 million to overhaul its job certification classes, with a focus on training students for higher-paying, in-demand careers that don’t necessarily require a college education,
- Blount County Schools offering 'public education at home' with Preferred Flex Academy, Future Ready Virtual Academy
- > Jul 5, 4:55 AM: The Preferred Flex Academy is for families who want their child to have more individualized attention than is possible in a classroom full of students, Loud explained. Students must have an adult living in the home who is
- State takeovers of schools are about political power, not school improvement
- > Jul 3, 7:35 AM: A national technology program offers Polk County Schools in southeast Tennessee new tools and new approaches. “We’re really changing the culture of the classroom, not just handing out devices,” says one school leader.
- Ga. Department of Education announces new funds for middle school computer coding courses
- > Jun 28, 5:57 AM: The funds, approved by the state's Board of Education, will specifically target middle schools in rural, underserved, or high-poverty areas, according to a news release. Each grant includes funding for equipment, training,
- SCS board rejects all charter school applications, Legacy Leadership Academy also set to close before next year
- > Jun 27, 5:47 AM: The 10 groups that filed the applications to open a year from now have 30 days to revise their school plans and resubmit them to SCS for a second and final school board vote. Superintendent Dorsey Hopson also announced the
- Tennessee DOE Blended Learning Pilot Yields Promising Results
- > Jun 20, 6:29 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education has found that the first year of its two-year pilot introducing blended learning to Algebra I classes around the state was most successful when teachers received regular, personalized
- Dems tussle on charter schools in Tennessee governor debate
- > Jun 20, 6:05 AM: State House Minority Leader Craig Fitzhugh quickly questioned ex-Nashville Mayor Karl Dean’s history of charter school support. Fitzhugh pointed out he has the endorsement of the Tennessee Education Association teachers
- Tennessee's takeover of low performing schools isn't working, study finds. Officials say changes underway.
- > Jun 20, 5:11 AM: The finding from a Tennessee Education Research Alliance research brief released Tuesday reinforces what researchers discovered in 2015 about the district over the course of three years. That district-run turnaround
- SCS recommends rejection of all charter applications, including those replacing Jubilee schools
- Jun 18, 7:35 AM: Ten education groups want to open 18 new local charter schools in fall 2019, but so far, Shelby County Schools administrators don't believe any qualify to do so.
- Tennessee receives glowing marks on national reports for improved student expectations
- > May 23, 7:21 AM: Tennessee has not only closed the gap in how it reports student learning compared to the rest of the nation but also set some of the highest education requirements among all states, according to a set of national reports
- As Memphis expands its efforts to improve schools, one model is about to double in size
- > May 17, 5:42 AM: The high-performing Whitehaven High school is also the anchor of the Empowerment Zone, one of Shelby County Schools’ newest intervention programs. It will more than double in size by adding six schools this fall.
- Opinion: Charter schools leading charge to address state's education priorities
- May 9, 5:47 AM: The future of public education lies in our ability to think outside the box about reaching and teaching the next generation of students – and strong progress is happening right here in Tennessee.
- SCS to revamp career and technical education to match available high-paying jobs
- > Apr 30, 5:59 AM: The district will narrow its technical education focus to 8 areas: advance manufacturing, architecture, health sciences, information technology, marketing or distribution, STEM and transportation. District leaders say it's
- With Griffin at the helm of the ASD, Hopson sees a better relationship between local, state-run schools
- > Apr 27, 5:46 AM: The relationship between the local school district and the state-run intervention program is inherently awkward and competitive, with SCS wanting to maintain control of its schools, and the ASD believing outside
- Parents meet over closure of Herenton run charter schools
- Apr 26, 6:42 AM: Concerned parents spoke out during a meeting Wednesday addressing the closing of two charter school that are run my former Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%