- Metro Nashville school board charter advocate Mary Pierce will not seek re-election
- Jan 17, 5:57 AM: Metro Nashville school board's leading charter school advocate announced Tuesday she will not seek re-election.
- Judge rules against Nashville schools in fight over student contact information
- Jan 15, 6:44 AM: A Nashville judge said Metro Nashville Public Schools must give the state’s Achievement School District contact information for students zoned to failing schools.
- School voucher debate unlikely on Tennessee’s Capitol Hill this year
- Jan 11, 6:03 AM: As Tennessee state lawmakers get back to work this week, they’ll deal with a lot of K-12 education issues, but this year school vouchers likely will not be one of them.
- Metro scheduled to launch five elementary magnet schools in 2018
- Jan 5, 7:13 AM: Metro Nashville Public Schools will have a full plate in 2018, with much of it aimed at continuing to improve student performance and parent satisfaction.
- Four Memphis charter organizations pilot new reading curriculum
- Jan 3, 7:35 AM: Four Memphis charter schools are piloting a new reading curriculum this school year aimed at boosting reading comprehension in a city and state with lagging literacy rates.
- Nashville Classical shines in city's early literacy efforts
- Jan 3, 6:29 AM: Nashville Classical Charter School may be newer on the list of the city's public schools, but leaders there hope their students' work on state testing gets some notice.
- Tennessee charter school bill sets funds aside for facilities
- > Dec 29, 8:05 AM: As part of Gov. Bill Haslam‘s budget, he listed a plan to put aside $6 million to create a charter school facilities fund where schools can apply for grants to assist with school facility needs. It will provide $6 million
- Tennessee sponsors of voucher bills won't pursue issue in New Year; will push extra resources for public schools
- Dec 28, 6:26 AM: The leading supporters of school vouchers in the Tennessee General Assembly say they won't file any legislation on the issue ahead of the upcoming legislative session.
- A bill that would have piloted vouchers in Memphis dies before the session starts
- Dec 26, 6:44 AM: A bill that would pilot a private school voucher program in Memphis is officially dead this year.
- Kelsey Backs Away From Voucher Legislation
- Dec 20, 6:24 AM: The push to allow some Tennesseans to use private-school vouchers has hit a roadblock that could stall voucher legislation for a fourth year.
- School vouchers hit snag in Tennessee as sponsor announces he won’t advance bill
- Dec 19, 6:14 AM: The push to allow some Tennesseans to use private-school vouchers has hit a roadblock that could stall voucher legislation for a fourth year.
- An individual education: Tennessee Virtual Academy helps 8-year-old
- > Dec 11, 7:23 AM: Erin has dysgraphia, which affects her spelling and writing abilities. Many people have heard of dyslexia; dysgraphia is sort of its opposite number. To put it in broad terms, people with dyslexia have trouble reading;
- Nashville teachers protest Betsy DeVos' agenda after Tennessee visit
- > Dec 1, 8:13 AM: Chanting and holding signs calling for her departure, public school teachers and parents gathered by the downtown riverfront Thursday night to voice their opposition to U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos.
- Betsy DeVos makes first visit to Middle Tennessee with trip to Rutherford County Schools
- > Nov 30, 8:06 AM: DeVos, during questions with reporters, said she remains supportive of voucher programs like the ones that have been rejected by the Tennessee General Assembly. Vouchers are publicly funded scholarships for students to
- As Tennessee governor’s race ramps up, so does the conversation around schools
- Nov 30, 7:27 AM: The State Collaborative on Reforming Education, also known as SCORE, on Wednesday unveiled five priorities aimed at moving Tennessee up from the middle of the pack on student achievement.
- Nashville's Smithson Craighead Academy avoids closure after narrow school board vote
- Nov 29, 6:39 AM: The Metro Nashville Public Schools board bucked its superintendent's recommendation not to renew Smithson Craighead Academy charter schools' contract.
- Nashville’s Newest Charter School Embraces Black Empowerment
- > Nov 27, 7:33 AM: Many schools aspire for racial diversity. But that’s not quite the aim of the newest charter school in North Nashville. KIPP Nashville College Prep Elementary says it is embracing what is a reality for most schools in the
- Tennessee’s two big school turnaround experiments are yielding big lessons, researchers say
- Nov 16, 6:59 AM: A national pioneer in school turnaround work, Tennessee this month received a report card of sorts from researchers who have closely followed its two primary initiatives for five years.
- Commission Takes Final Votes on Pay Raises, Resolution Backing SCS
- > Nov 13, 7:56 AM: Also on the agenda Monday is a resolution supporting the decision of the Shelby County Schools board last month to refuse to release student information to the state-run Achievement School District or charter schools.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%