- SCS to revamp career and technical education to match available high-paying jobs
- > Apr 30, 5:59 AM: The district will narrow its technical education focus to 8 areas: advance manufacturing, architecture, health sciences, information technology, marketing or distribution, STEM and transportation. District leaders say it's
- With Griffin at the helm of the ASD, Hopson sees a better relationship between local, state-run schools
- > Apr 27, 5:46 AM: The relationship between the local school district and the state-run intervention program is inherently awkward and competitive, with SCS wanting to maintain control of its schools, and the ASD believing outside
- Parents meet over closure of Herenton run charter schools
- Apr 26, 6:42 AM: Concerned parents spoke out during a meeting Wednesday addressing the closing of two charter school that are run my former Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton.
- I-Zone Chief Griffin Named Head of State-Run School District
- > Apr 25, 5:49 AM: The chief of schools for Shelby County Schools who was the founding director of Innovation Zone Schools is the new leader of the state-run Achievement School District. Sharon Griffin was named Tuesday, April 24, as head of
- Two schools run by former Memphis mayor Willie Herenton to close
- Apr 20, 5:39 AM: Two schools run by Willie Herenton, the former Memphis mayor and Memphis City Schools superintendent, will close at the end of the academic year, Shelby County Schools officials confirmed Thursday.
- Hundreds protest proposed magnet, Project GRAD cuts in 7.5-hour school board meeting
- > Apr 11, 4:58 AM: For Knox County Schools Superintendent Bob Thomas and some school board members, the data is clear: Knox County’s magnet schools and Project GRAD programs aren’t impacting “student achievement” by raising reading
- Shelby County Schools' academic progress lags behind many urban districts, national test shows
- Apr 10, 5:55 AM: For the first time, Shelby County Schools is able to benchmark its academic progress against some of the country's largest urban districts.
- Plan to turn Jubilee schools into charters moves forward
- Apr 4, 5:41 AM: With the Jubilee Catholic Schools Network set to close at the end of the 2018-2019 school year, a new charter school operator is planning to open nine new schools.
- Chattanooga Preparatory School recruits first class of boys, mentors for fall opening
- Mar 30, 7:49 AM: More than 60 boys have been selected to join the new public charter school when it opens its doors, administrators and staff have been hired, even uniforms have been ordered.
- New private online school lays roots in Williamson County
- > Mar 27, 5:49 AM: But unlike the tutorials, where students typically meet about once a week for classroom instruction, Grove Virtual Academy students take self-guided online courses. An educational consultant oversees student progress and
- As school districts seek to improve student performance, they turn to career academies
- > Mar 27, 4:37 AM: Career and technical education is not an equal to vocational education, though it surpasses it, experts say, providing students with hands-on, real-world, project-based learning and collaborative opportunities with
- Parkinson to Introduce Bill Phasing Out State’s Achievement School District
- > Mar 23, 5:22 AM: Rep. Antonio Parkinson is set to make a push to remove Memphis schools from the state’s Achievement School District and dissolve the state district because of its failure to pull them out of Tennessee’s bottom 5 percent
- Poll: Parents, voters agree the quality of Nashville's schools is stagnant
- Mar 22, 7:07 AM: A new poll shows parents and voters agree that the quality of Nashville's public schools has remained stagnant over the past five years.
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam announces investment in state's school leaders
- Mar 21, 5:23 AM: Gov. Bill Haslam and state Education Commissioner Candice McQueen launched on Tuesday an effort to aid Tennessee schools by improving school leadership.
- Timeline extended to turn over student data to ASD for Nashville and Memphis school districts
- > Mar 19, 5:08 AM: The Nashville school board will have more time to decide whether it wants to continue a fight against the state’s Achievement School District over the contact information of students zoned to failing schools.
- Sohn: Let's make 'Future Ready Institutes' happen
- > Mar 16, 5:23 AM: What began some years ago as a plea from Chattanooga businesses when employers couldn't find local workers among our high school graduates morphed in 2015 into a Chamber of Commerce-spearheaded study committee dubbed
- As more colleges partner with SCS, lines between lower, higher education blur in Memphis
- > Mar 12, 6:40 AM: As Shelby County Schools students struggle to leave high school ready for college — just 9.6 percent of SCS seniors last year were considered college-ready by ACT benchmarks — higher education leaders are seeing a need to
- Letter: Need For Vocational And Technical Education In Inner-City Schools - And Response
- > Mar 9, 6:12 AM: The state of Career Readiness, which encompasses CTE, is a persistent source of dismay for many inner-city residents. Indeed, from the establishment of many HBCU’s at the turn of the 20th century, to the prowess of figures
- Memphian among the four candidates vying to lead Tennessee's Achievement School District
- Mar 9, 5:31 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education has identified four candidates, including one from Memphis, to lead the state's Achievement School District, which aims to turn around struggling schools.
- Tennessee announces new career and technical education certificates in state high schools
- Mar 8, 6:53 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education on Wednesday announced 21 new career and technical education certificates it will be implementing in schools in the 2018-19 year.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%