- As One Nashville School Quietly Re-Segregates, A Group Of Parents Pushes Back
- > Sep 17, 4:38 AM: But the area was already beginning to gentrify, and as Lockeland's test scores rose and word spread of this hidden East Nashville gem, people — mainly white people — flocked to its priority zone, boosting their chances of
- Column: Basing school funding on child needs, not numbers
- > Sep 14, 5:26 AM: For all students in Shelby County to have access to the high-quality public education they deserve, our school district must seek creative ways to address the complex issues that affect our diverse community and its
- Education is a top priority for Tennessee voters in gubernatorial race
- Sep 11, 5:37 AM: Quality education is one of the most important issues Tennessee voters are thinking about before they cast their ballots in November, according to a statewide poll.
- Opinion: Embrace Fully Innovations Underway in K-12 Education
- > Sep 11, 5:23 AM: There are many changes taking place in education. As an outward sign of this change, schools are striving to make their environments more like the “real world,” which is to say like adult workplaces.
- Rats nest sends 800 Memphis students to three nearby schools
- Sep 11, 5:18 AM: Kirby High School students are moving to three nearby schools starting Monday, Shelby County Schools leaders announced Monday night.
- Education poll: Half of Tennesseans support charter schools, Tennessee Promise
- Sep 11, 4:54 AM: Results from a statewide poll on education show that half of Tennesseans have a favorable opinion of charter schools, and the majority would prefer a governor who supports school choice for parents.
- Opinion: The fight against charter schools is on. Tennessee needs to reevaluate
- > Sep 4, 5:07 AM: The Nashville school board hasn’t allowed a single charter school to open in the last four years, and its approval process has effectively stopped almost everyone from applying, despite booming growth in the city.
- Haslam: Taking over schools with ASD may have been 'too ambitious'
- > Aug 23, 6:10 AM: Now in its seventh year, the district is the umbrella organization for charter networks that operate 32 schools in Tennessee, 30 of which are in Memphis. The ASD serves about 12,000 of the state's most vulnerable children,
- SCS approves 9 new charters, including 6 replacing Jubilee Catholic schools
- Aug 22, 4:39 AM: Shelby County Schools will have nine more charter schools next year after a 5-3 vote by the school board Tuesday night.
- Memphis schools in most need of growth see gains, but vast majority of students still not on grade level
- > Aug 21, 6:39 AM: The iZone’s two dozen schools have been heralded for how much students have grown since 2012, especially when compared to the state-run Achievement School District, which heavily relies on private charter organizations to
- SCS to recommend replacement of six Jubilee schools with charters
- Aug 17, 5:53 AM: Shelby County Schools will recommend its board approve nine charter schools to open next year, including six that would replace the Jubilee Catholic Schools Network.
- Few out-of-zone students enrolled in Hamilton County School's Future Ready Institutes
- > Aug 14, 5:34 AM: Despite Hamilton County Schools leaders' and board members' assertions that the institutes will help increase diversity by allowing students not zoned for those schools to attend an institute, only about 70 students — some
- Karl Dean wins Democratic nomination for Tennessee governor in landslide Democratic candidate for Tennessee Governor and former
- > Aug 3, 6:40 AM: Karl Dean easily defeated Craig Fitzhugh in Thursday's Tennessee Democratic gubernatorial primary, setting up a November general election where he’ll try to become the first Democrat to win a statewide race in the
- Opinion: I'm supporting Craig Fitzhugh for his stance on public education
- > Aug 1, 7:11 AM: In contrast, Fitzhugh "is not in favor of taking public money and giving it to private . . . charter schools,” thereby reducing school funding. He strongly opposes wasteful spending on excessive and meaningless
- Six Memphis Catholic schools would convert to charters under revised application
- Aug 1, 6:52 AM: After seeking to be the largest charter school operator in Memphis, a new organization hoping to convert Catholic schools to public ones is scaling back.
- Nashville organization drops $26,000 to support a single school board candidate in Memphis
- Jul 24, 5:17 AM: TennesseeCAN spent more than $26,000 on behalf of candidate Michelle Robinson McKissack for mailed advertisements, phone calls, and texts in late June, according to the group’s disclosure forms.
- MDHA extends fundraising deadline for controversial new charter school in East Nashville
- Jul 19, 6:07 AM: The Metro Development and Housing Agency granted influential nonprofit Martha O’Bryan Center an 11-month extension to raise $5 million to help pay for a new charter school building in East Nashville.
- Chattanooga Preparatory School Invites 300 Men To Welcome Inaugural Class
- > Jul 19, 4:54 AM: Inspired by other schools around the country, the Chattanooga 300 will be hosted on the first day of school to motivate students and get them excited for the year ahead. The goal of the event is to get 300 men from the
- Tennessee Governor Candidate Interviews: How Democrat Karl Dean Hopes To Cross Party Lines
- > Jul 18, 6:38 AM: On his support for charter schools: "I don't see charter schools playing a big role anywhere other than urban areas, and there, I don't see them as a total answer. I see them as part of the solution. They were created
- Memphis colleges are training more teachers of color, new study shows
- > Jul 18, 6:23 AM: Teaching degree programs at four-year institutions nationwide are disproportionately white, according to new Urban Institute data. But things look different in Memphis, where two local colleges, the University of Memphis
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%