- Tennessee school voucher program rules approved, but opposition remains in statehouse
- Jan 29, 6:07 AM: A Tennessee legislative committee gave the green light to rules that will govern the state's Education Savings Account program even as some lawmakers hope to end the initiative before it begins.
- Tennessee legislative panel OKs school voucher rules amid claims the 2019 law was passed via dirty tricks, bribes, threats
- > Jan 28, 6:58 AM: A Tennessee legislative panel on Monday approved rules for the state's controversial school voucher-like program following a fierce debate in which one Republican critic charged proponents last year deployed "every dirty
- Struggling charter schools ask Memphis board not to close them
- Jan 21, 7:31 AM: Charter school leaders whose schools are in danger of closing in May say school board members should look at more than test scores when considering a school’s impact on a community.
- Tennessee school voucher violations leave details unknown
- > Jan 16, 6:36 AM: Some Tennessee parents were accused of misspending thousands of dollars in school voucher funds while using state-issued debit cards over the past school year, a review by The Associated Press has found, and state
- Memphis implements robust rules for charter schools
- > Jan 9, 7:49 AM: Though a new Shelby County Schools charter school policy addresses many of the questions charter leaders had about operating in the district, the policy’s implementation has already dug up old feelings of distrust, setting
- All 30 schools in Tennessee turnaround district would exit by 2022 under plan
- > Jan 7, 7:55 AM: Tennessee wants to return 30 state-run charter schools to local districts in Memphis and Nashville no later than the fall of 2022, but also wants to retain its state-run district to possibly take over other chronically
- Tennessee’s Achievement School District for failing schools has failed
- > Jan 7, 7:15 AM: The state took-over the bottom 5% of performing schools in 2012 with an ambitious promise. It would turn-around those schools –most of them in Memphis– and move them into the top 25% within five years. Most went to charter
- Memphis charter school network appeals decision to shrink enrollment
- Jan 7, 7:12 AM: A Memphis charter network is appealing Shelby County Schools’ decision to shrink its elementary school enrollment by nearly a fifth.
- State Board of Education leader recommends the state upholds decision to close Mid-South charter school
- Jan 6, 9:30 AM: The executive director of the Tennessee State Board of Education is recommending the state uphold a decision by Shelby County Schools to close a Memphis charter school.
- Chattanooga State targets 'busy adults' with new initiative offering more than 30 online degree programs
- > Jan 3, 7:11 AM: Traditional on-campus college classes that take place during regular business hours don't work for all students. But those interested in earning two-year degrees in more than 30 subject areas are now able to do so with the
- School choice, ESAs popular with Tenn. Republicans
- Jan 3, 6:22 AM: A recent statewide Tennessee survey shows wide support for Education Savings Accounts among likely GOP primary voters.
- Nashville's Knowledge Academies charter schools to begin probation in January
- Jan 2, 8:22 AM: Nashville public schools officials have laid out a multi-step probation plan for troubled Knowledge Academies charter schools, even as the district seeks court approval to close the schools.
- Holistic approach can remove barriers to education access in rural areas | Opinion
- Dec 30, 9:03 AM: As a state, we need a holistic approach to education access for our rural communities – opportunities that help both students and their counties thrive.
- Nashville asks judge to overturn state decision to keep Knowledge Academies charter schools open
- Dec 30, 8:41 AM: In an ongoing dispute over the future of Knowledge Academies charter schools, lawyers for the city are asking a Nashville judge for the authority to shut the schools down.
- Expanding charter schools in Shelby County
- > Dec 11, 8:26 AM: Growing pains in the Shelby County School system. Charter schools in the district want to expand, opening up hundreds of new spots. But it's creating a classroom conundrum for the Shelby County School Board.
- Three new charter schools could open in Hamilton County in 2021
- Dec 9, 6:47 AM: As Hamilton County school officials weigh the future of the district's facilities — including rezoning and closing schools — several organizations are looking to launch new charter schools.
- First group of Memphis parents hears how vouchers work
- Dec 6, 7:22 AM: A dozen parents gathered at a private Christian school in southeast Memphis were the first to hear details from state officials about Tennessee’s new education savings accounts.
- SCS board members call for moratorium on charter schools until state evaluates effectiveness
- Dec 5, 6:27 AM: Shelby County School board members don’t want to see another charter school open or expand in Memphis until the state evaluates how they are doing.
- Nashville Classical charter to appeal Nashville school board decision denial to add 77 students at school
- Dec 4, 7:52 AM: Nashville Classical Charter School leaders will appeal the Nashville school board's decision to deny it an expansion of its school by 77 students.
- CGLA exploring possibility of opening a new charter school in Highland Park
- > Dec 3, 5:59 AM: The Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy and its founder are leading efforts to establish a public charter school in Highland Park to serve elementary-aged students near the campuses of CGLA and Chattanooga Preparatory
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%