- Parkinson Calls for Elimination of Achievement School District
- Apr 25, 5:39 AM: State Rep. Antonio Parkinson is renewing his call for an end to the Achievement School District amid revelations a charter school operator hired a convicted felon to run Lester Prep.
- Chattanooga Prep, a new all-boys charter school, waits for school board approval
- Apr 21, 6:35 AM: More than two months ago, leaders of Chattanooga Preparatory School submitted an application to Hamilton County Schools to start an all-boys public charter school in 2018.
- Karl Dean says charter schools not the focus of his education agenda
- Apr 20, 5:13 AM: As mayor of Nashville, Karl Dean was the city's leading champion of charter schools, supporting their expansion and even recruiting some charter operators to Davidson County.
- Nashville’s first charter school placed on probation
- Apr 19, 6:24 AM: Citing major financial and academic concerns, Metro Nashville Public Schools has placed Middle Tennessee's first-ever charter school on probation.
- SCS to seek state endorsement of Whitehaven Empowerment Zone
- Apr 19, 6:05 AM: In an effort to protect schools from takeover by the state-run Achievement School District, Shelby County Schools wants to make the Whitehaven Empowerment Zone official.
- Shelby school voucher bill moves on after weeks of debate
- Apr 13, 4:56 AM: The last standing Tennessee school voucher bill aimed solely at Memphis quickly and quietly moved out of a House committee Wednesday after weeks of fierce debate.
- As school voucher vote approaches in Nashville, most Memphis advocacy groups don’t want progra
- Apr 11, 5:50 AM: A proposal that would try school vouchers in Memphis is among the last voucher bills alive in this year’s Tennessee’s legislature, where statewide measures have consistently come up short.
- Nashville charter school parents demand respect
- > Apr 11, 4:55 AM: Many parents in Nashville exercise school choice by moving into zones of high-performing schools or by entering the lottery and hoping for seats in choice schools. As parents of students attending public charter schools, we are no
- McQueen talks future of school turnaround in Tennessee, Memphis
- Apr 10, 5:45 AM: Early goals of the state-run Achievement School District were specific and tangible: move schools from the bottom 5 percent to the top 25 percent in five years.
- Hopson questions SCS role in ASD adding grades
- > Apr 7, 7:08 AM: Shelby County Schools Superintendent Dorsey Hopson said Thursday he's "sympathetic to the plight" of middle school families in two Achievement School District schools left in limbo by legal issues, but he's not sure how he or his
- Nashville to consider closing 2 schools a year earlier than planned
- > Apr 5, 6:03 AM: The district currently operates two grades in each school. But both schools' operations are being phased in by charter operators. The district would run just a single grade in the 2017-18 school year and none after that, under the
- Amended bill could add 13,000 students to Tennessee’s first foray into vouchers
- Apr 5, 5:28 AM: A bill that originally had nothing to do with school vouchers now has the potential to reallocate tens of thousands of public dollars to private services for students with disabilities.
- Tennessee’s final ESSA plan focuses on student equity, opportunity
- Apr 4, 7:25 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education will soon move forward with a plan that focuses on equality in student success and opportunity.
- How Memphis is taking lessons from its Innovation Zone to other struggling schools
- Mar 30, 5:42 AM: One of the few qualms that Memphians have with Shelby County’s heralded school turnaround initiative is that more schools aren’t in it.
- NAACP strongly opposes student voucher bill
- Mar 30, 4:51 AM: A proposed bill to provide options for students in low performing schools is being met with opposition and controversy as it makes its way through Senate committees.
- Here’s why charter operators exiting Tennessee’s turnaround district can walk away
- Mar 27, 7:02 AM: When two charter school operators announced plans to leave Tennessee’s turnaround district this spring, many people were surprised that they could break their 10-year agreements.
- Why this Memphis Republican supports school vouchers — but is concerned about accountability
- Mar 24, 5:55 AM: Only one school voucher bill remains under consideration in Tennessee, and it’s all about Memphis.
- Demand for Springfield magnet triggers more classes, lottery
- > Mar 23, 5:40 AM: Demand is rising for the Innovation Academy STEAM magnet program at Springfield Middle School. The district received 288 applications for the program’s upcoming school year before last month’s due date, and all but 100 of them were
- Shelby County Schools Voucher Bill Advances in House
- > Mar 23, 5:03 AM: Despite a packed room of Memphis-area people opposed to vouchers for public school students, a House Education Committee advanced a pilot program targeting low-income children in Shelby County Schools system’s low-performing
- Shelby school voucher bill leading other proposals
- Mar 22, 5:15 AM: A school voucher proposal targeting Shelby County Schools is shaping up to be the top voucher bill in the Tennessee General Assembly this year after it passed through a House education committee Tuesday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%