- Tennessee considers a new approach for getting local schools to improve: working with them
- > May 18, 5:58 AM: In a partnership zone, clusters of schools are essentially turned into mini-school districts that are freed from many local rules and governed jointly by local and state officials. Local leaders get to experiment the same way that
- Haslam: Achievement School District Still Needed, But Changes Near
- > May 16, 5:05 AM: Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says there is a continuing need for the state-run Achievement School District. But the school district for the bottom 5 percent of schools in the state, in terms of academic achievement, is being
- The Debate About School Vouchers Heats Up
- > May 15, 5:59 AM: After years of failed attempts, advocates for school vouchers thought this would be the year. Then the bill supported by State Senator Brian Kelsey, a Germantown Republican died in a House committee, a result which vocal school
- Study: Private dollars give Memphis charter schools edge in per-pupil funding
- May 11, 4:45 AM: A new study says charter schools in Memphis are bucking a national trend in per-pupil funding, thanks mostly to philanthropic support that has them eclipsing total revenue received by traditional schools.
- Low enrollment, ending of grant forced Achievement School District cuts
- May 8, 6:51 AM: A $3 million drop in expected revenues for next fiscal year was the biggest factor in the Achievement School District cutting 29 job cuts, Education Commissioner Candice McQueen said Friday.
- ASD Sheds 29 Employees in ESSA Shift
- May 5, 6:14 AM: The state-run Achievement School District is losing 29 employees including 13 who are involved in the direct running of the first schools in Frayser taken over by the district in 2012.
- New charter school gives Hamilton County boys an advantaged education
- May 1, 6:40 AM: When Chattanooga Prep opens in August of 2018, it will join three charter schools already operating in Hamilton County.
- Questions About Shelby County Schools Voucher Bill Postpone It for the Year
- Apr 28, 6:05 AM: Questions about student testing within a proposed pilot voucher bill affecting Shelby County Schools forced the bill’s sponsor to postpone it until next year.
- Chattanooga Prep approved to open its doors in 2018
- Apr 28, 5:50 AM: Chattanooga Preparatory School will welcome 60 sixth-grade boys into its classrooms in the fall of 2018, after the Hamilton County Board of Education voted to approve the charter school Thursday night.
- SCS says it can’t help state-run charter students in limbo
- Apr 27, 6:37 AM: The possibility that students at two charter schools will be able to finish middle school in their current schools dwindled this week after Shelby County Schools' lawyer denied the district had any say-so in the matter.
- Memphis school voucher bill fizzles in House subcommittee
- Apr 27, 6:10 AM: School voucher legislation in the Tennessee House is dead for this year after a controversial bill aimed at Shelby County was moved to the 2018 legislative calendar.
- Gov. Bill Haslam effort to grow state’s charter schools passes
- Apr 27, 5:22 AM: The state Senate on Wednesday easily cleared the final legislative hurdle for Gov. Bill Haslam's goal to invest more money across the state into charter schools that he says need to grow.
- Parkinson Calls for Elimination of Achievement School District
- Apr 25, 5:39 AM: State Rep. Antonio Parkinson is renewing his call for an end to the Achievement School District amid revelations a charter school operator hired a convicted felon to run Lester Prep.
- Chattanooga Prep, a new all-boys charter school, waits for school board approval
- Apr 21, 6:35 AM: More than two months ago, leaders of Chattanooga Preparatory School submitted an application to Hamilton County Schools to start an all-boys public charter school in 2018.
- Karl Dean says charter schools not the focus of his education agenda
- Apr 20, 5:13 AM: As mayor of Nashville, Karl Dean was the city's leading champion of charter schools, supporting their expansion and even recruiting some charter operators to Davidson County.
- Nashville’s first charter school placed on probation
- Apr 19, 6:24 AM: Citing major financial and academic concerns, Metro Nashville Public Schools has placed Middle Tennessee's first-ever charter school on probation.
- SCS to seek state endorsement of Whitehaven Empowerment Zone
- Apr 19, 6:05 AM: In an effort to protect schools from takeover by the state-run Achievement School District, Shelby County Schools wants to make the Whitehaven Empowerment Zone official.
- Shelby school voucher bill moves on after weeks of debate
- Apr 13, 4:56 AM: The last standing Tennessee school voucher bill aimed solely at Memphis quickly and quietly moved out of a House committee Wednesday after weeks of fierce debate.
- As school voucher vote approaches in Nashville, most Memphis advocacy groups don’t want progra
- Apr 11, 5:50 AM: A proposal that would try school vouchers in Memphis is among the last voucher bills alive in this year’s Tennessee’s legislature, where statewide measures have consistently come up short.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%