- Charter schools receive more per student in federal COVID aid
- > Feb 23, 6:46 AM: When it comes to how federal education relief money was distributed during the pandemic, an analysis by NewsChannel 5 Investigates found charter schools were able to get a larger share than traditional public schools.
- School voucher supporters ask Tennessee Supreme Court to OK prepping program for fall semester
- > Feb 10, 6:48 AM: Banking on the hope a swift Tennessee Supreme Court decision would allow the state's controversial voucher program to launch in time for the fall semester, supporters want to start taking applications for the 2021-2022
- Tennessee high court to review school voucher lawsuit
- Feb 8, 7:06 AM: Tennessee’s highest court has agreed to take up an appeal of a lawsuit challenging the legality of a school voucher program that would let parents use public tax dollars for private school tuition.
- Nashville private school sees increase in enrollment after parents say students need a consistent schedule
- Feb 5, 7:21 AM: As Metro Nashville Public Schools announces a plan to return to in-person learning, some parents say the move comes too late for their students.
- Tennessee Supreme Court agrees to hear state’s school voucher appeal
- Feb 5, 6:52 AM: The Tennessee Supreme Court agreed Thursday to consider the state’s request to restore a school voucher law that was overturned last spring by a lower court.
- Nashville students to return to in-person learning starting this week
- > Feb 2, 6:41 AM: Students in grades 5 and 9 — who haven't seen the inside of a classroom since schools first closed amid the pandemic last March — will be able to return on Thursday, Feb. 18 if the city's COVID-19 metrics continue to
- Support school choice because education isn't going back to normal | Opinion
- Jan 29, 6:57 AM: But there’s one gaping area of our lives where none of us should want a return to normal— because normal wasn’t enough for many children, especially Black and brown Tennesseans.
- TN General Assembly passes bill requiring schools to offer summer school programs for students falling behind
- > Jan 22, 7:16 AM: The “Tennessee Learning Loss Remediation and Student Acceleration Act” has been passed in the Tennessee General Assembly. The bill requires schools to implement a program of after-school learning mini-camps, learning loss
- Opinion: Pandemic makes need for school choice clear
- > Jan 22, 7:07 AM: It doesn’t take a fancy degree to realize the pandemic has exposed deep issues within our education system. In the spring, schools across the country were having to face technological and budgetary constraints amidst a
- Teachers voice concerns as state legislature takes up special session on education
- > Jan 20, 9:17 AM: State Lawmakers made their way to Nashville this week for a special session called by the governor. The session began Tuesday to address what Governor Lee says are “urgent issues facing Tennessee students and schools.
- Opinion: With remote learning, how can schools keep students from getting lost?
- Jan 12, 7:55 AM: The program, tracked through weekly phone and video calls, is an ambitious effort to keep students and families from slipping out of reach as distance learning extends into next year.
- Some Knox Co. parents want more learning options as coronavirus cases spike
- Jan 6, 7:58 AM: As Knox County students return to classrooms after going virtual prior to winter break, parents are now asking for more flexibility.
- Tennessee to receive $1.1 billion in federal COVID-19 relief aimed at K-12 education
- > Jan 6, 6:34 AM: Of the $1.1 billion, at least $997 million is required to be directly distributed to local school districts, according to the U.S. Department of Education. Individual state education agencies can keep only a limited amount
- Tenn. Gov. Lee calls special session to address education issues
- Dec 30, 8:14 AM: Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday he was calling for a special legislative session to address education challenges that have popped up amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Survey says: Tenn. parents want technology, student support, accountability, expanded school options
- > Dec 18, 6:53 AM: Eight in 10 parents want more education options so they can determine the best fit for their child’s education, and 77% of parents believe they should have the ability to send their children to any public school (at their
- Survey: Majority of Metro Nashville public school families want in-person learning in spring Meghan MangrumNashville Tennessean A majority of Nashville families favor sending their children back to class in-person if Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Dec 9, 8:57 AM: A majority of Nashville families favor sending their children back to class in-person if Metro Nashville Public Schools reopen for the spring semester, a new district survey found.
- Nearly 8,000 more Hamilton County students will return to the classroom in January
- Dec 9, 6:07 AM: Thousands more students will be returning to Hamilton County Schools classrooms in January as parents step away from virtual learning options.
- Tennessee should fund public school students instead of institutions | Opinion
- > Dec 7, 6:38 AM: The latest data reported by Education Week in September revealed that less than half of the public school districts in Tennessee planned to reopen with full-time in-person instruction available to all students. And several
- Future of the Achievement School District should focus on racial equity | Opinion
- Dec 1, 7:08 AM: As the Achievement School District maps out its future plan and selects a new leader, racial equity is paramount coupled with innovation, high quality learning and equitable funding.
- Emails: School choice org caused ‘confusion’ in voucher plan
- > Nov 30, 6:17 AM: A prominent voucher group’s outreach efforts to families of students “caused nothing but confusion” while Tennessee attempted to enact a program that would have allowed parents to use tax dollars to pay for private school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%