- Nashville school board rejects LEAD charter school applications
- Jun 28, 6:50 AM: Nashville's LEAD Public Schools saw both of its charter applications voted down by the Metro Schools board Tuesday night.
- Charter applications rejected by Memphis school officials — for now
- Jun 28, 5:58 AM: Shelby County’s school board sent 13 groups back to the drawing board Tuesday after denying their initial bid to open or expand charter schools in Memphis in 2018.
- SCS Board Explores Legal Options in Grades Added to ASD Schools
- > Jun 28, 5:56 AM: The Shelby County Schools system is exploring possible legal action against the state-run Achievement School District, the state Department of Education, Memphis Scholars charter schools and Aspire Public Schools over the two
- LEAD charter CEO disputes Nashville school district review
- Jun 27, 5:21 AM: The charter school operator applying for two new schools in Nashville is challenging Metro Schools' recommendation ahead of Tuesday's school board meeting.
- Springfield charter group: application denial expected, will refile, appeal if necessary
- > Jun 23, 5:57 AM: The Robertson County School Board voted for the third time in as many years last week to reject a charter school application for a Springfield-based elementary school start-up, but the decision doesn’t mean the group behind the
- MNPS Recommends Denial of Latest Charter Applications
- > Jun 23, 5:41 AM: At the June 13 Metro Nashville Board of Education meeting, charter school operator LEAD had several parents show up to talk about how much they loved the school, but the operator may fail at its latest efforts to open two more
- Metro district employees call for rejection of LEAD charter applications
- Jun 22, 7:03 AM: Both charter school applications submitted by LEAD Public Schools to Nashville schools have been recommended to be denied due to the plans only partially meeting the district's standards.
- Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy receives national award, celebrates student success
- Jun 21, 6:07 AM: The success of Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy was celebrated during a ceremony at the school Tuesday, as the public charter received the national School Innovation and Change Award.
- Memphis charter school applicants told to go back to drawing board
- Jun 20, 6:00 AM: All 14 groups seeking to start or expand charter schools in Memphis in 2018 are getting an early icy reception from Shelby County Schools.
- Nashville parents say they want more quality schools at MNPS Next meeting
- > Jun 16, 7:32 AM: The quality of Nashville's zoned neighborhood schools dominated conversation during Thursday's first MNPS Next event, a set of meetings that seek to get parent and community input on the future of the district's
- Charter Parents Want to Know Why School Board Members Didn’t Attend Meeting
- > Jun 15, 7:18 AM: Granted it wasn't a heavy agenda compared to other meetings, but a large slate of charter school parents, advocates and students were scheduled for public comment and board member Mary Pierce had a resolution item up for a
- Why the new director of KIPP Memphis calls the city’s charter landscape ‘beautiful and e
- Jun 15, 6:32 AM: KIPP Memphis Collegiate Schools is welcoming its third leader in three years, and at a time when the seven-school charter network could use a boost.
- Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy wins national award for academic progress
- Jun 15, 6:28 AM: Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy is one of four schools across the country to receive the School Innovation and Change Award from the National Principals Leadership Institute this year.
- Tennessee’s State Board of Education is about to oversee its own charter schools
- Jun 14, 7:38 AM: As the State Board of Education prepares to open its first charter school this fall in Memphis, it’s ramping up to double as a school district that oversees everything from calendars to budgets to testing.
- Why for-profit charter schools are going out of style with some education reform leaders
- > Jun 13, 7:33 AM: This fresh hostility toward for-profit charter schools extends beyond California. Across the country, more left-of-center charter school advocates are distancing themselves from for-profit charter schools. Some want to prohibit them
- Educators say there’s still much work to do in Memphis
- > Jun 7, 5:08 AM: Robinson said 70,000 children in Shelby County who are living at or below the poverty line were in a failing school. When the state of Tennessee ran a list of the schools in the bottom five percent of performance in the state test
- The future of I-Zone schools uncertain
- > Jun 1, 5:35 AM: Karista Jones with the Hamilton County School Board said, "This is an exploratory option. we have not signed an agreement with anybody. We are not turning over our schools to a private company. We are not giving away our
- Charter school bond deals criticized over transparency, academics
- May 30, 5:30 AM: Two Nashville charter schools used an obscure Metro board to issue tax-exempt debt for school projects in deals that went unnoticed for months, but now are drawing intense scrutiny.
- Charter school leaving Memphis neighborhood it signed up to help
- May 24, 5:40 AM: When officials at Memphis Scholars Raleigh-Egypt Middle School learned that another school on the same campus could get extra help for its students, they made a big decision: to pick up and move.
- Tennessee considers a new approach for getting local schools to improve: working with them
- > May 18, 5:58 AM: In a partnership zone, clusters of schools are essentially turned into mini-school districts that are freed from many local rules and governed jointly by local and state officials. Local leaders get to experiment the same way that
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%