- Tennessee's school vouchers: 6 things we learned from the first draft of program rules
- > Aug 14, 6:33 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education recently released a first draft of rules that would govern the state’s school voucher program. The rules describe educational savings accounts, which will be used to fund the voucher
- The parent perspective: JMCSS parents discuss concerns, ways to improve
- > Aug 13, 7:38 AM: That was before she took heed of what her father always told her: “If you’re going to complain about something, you really need to be willing to roll up your sleeves and do something about it.” That made her take a step
- Tennessee sees high school college-going rate dip, but leaders say it isn't cause for concern
- Aug 5, 7:13 AM: Tennessee's high school college-going rate dipped in 2018, the most significant decline since the state started its heralded college access scholarship program.
- Gov. Bill Lee will move forward with earlier school voucher launch, despite House concerns
- Aug 2, 6:54 AM: Despite concerns from the House about launching a controversial school voucher program earlier than planned, Gov. Bill Lee said he intends to move forward with a faster time frame.
- Tennessee's incoming House speaker concerned over Gov. Bill Lee's push to start school voucher program next year
- Jul 30, 6:34 AM: Incoming House Speaker Cameron Sexton is concerned about Gov. Bill Lee's push to begin his school voucher program next year, earlier than first anticipated.
- Nine new schools will open in Memphis this academic year, five have closed
- > Jul 25, 7:09 AM: Memphis is home to the largest number of charter schools in Tennessee, and nine more are expected to open in the city during the 2019-2020 school year. Another five Memphis charter schools will not reopen for the coming
- SCS superintendent looks to change district culture, close achievement gap for black male students
- > Jul 23, 5:56 AM: In the face of a significant achievement gap between African-American male students and the rest of the Shelby County Schools population, the district is planning to usher in a series of changes, including around teacher
- Glen Casada denies offering financial incentives for school voucher votes in letter
- > Jul 22, 6:02 AM: With less than two weeks until his expected resignation as speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives, Glen Casada issued a letter Sunday morning denying allegations that he offered incentives to lawmakers in
- Tennessee school turnaround models either haven’t worked or are stalling out, new research finds
- > Jul 17, 5:29 AM: The Achievement School District, or ASD, created to turn around Tennessee’s lowest-performing schools, has not generated improvements to student achievement during any of the district’s first six years, a research brief
- Gov. Bill Lee wants Tennessee's school voucher program to start by 2020-21 school year
- Jul 11, 5:06 AM: Tennessee's school voucher program could start in the next year, with Gov. Bill Lee hoping to get it off the ground by the 2020-21 school year.
- Hawkins Co. Virtual Academy presents a new opportunity for students
- > Jul 10, 6:38 AM: A new opportunity for Hawkins Co. students will be available for the 2019-2020 school year. The Hawkins Co. Virtual Academy (HCVA) is a free program offered to any eighth through 12th graders who prefer to learn
- Nashville schools board restarts process to close embattled charter school Knowledge Academies
- Jul 10, 6:06 AM: A Knowledge Academies lawsuit only delayed a move by the city's school board to close the charter school facing numerous issues.
- Feds OK contract between charter school network, Catholic diocese
- > Jul 8, 7:19 AM: The U.S. Department of Education said a charter school network’s lease prohibiting it from teaching anything considered “gravely immoral” by the Catholic Church does not violate federal guidelines, state officials wrote in
- Don’t delay expanding school choice for Tennessee families | Opinion
- > Jun 25, 6:07 AM: Our students cannot and should not languish another year in a school that is not working for them. A year of inaction is a year wasted for thousands of children. We owe it to our state’s students and their families to give
- New program will help Knox County students attend and finish college
- Jun 20, 6:38 AM: Tennessee Promise students in Knox County will now have access to additional financial aid and mentoring through a new program, announced on Wednesday.
- Knowledge Academies sues Nashville school board, accuses members of violating open meetings laws
- Jun 18, 6:57 AM: Knowledge Academies charter school sued Metro Nashville Public Schools on Monday, alleging the school board violated open meetings laws last week when it began the process to shut down the embattled school.
- Sharon Griffin to leave Achievement School District for Nashville public schools
- Jun 18, 4:49 AM: Achievement School District Chief Sharon Griffin submitted her two-week resignation letter on Friday, according to Amity Schuyler, a deputy commissioner who helps oversee the ASD.
- Charter school operator under fire as it arrives in Nashville
- Jun 10, 6:20 AM: Noble Education Initiative could soon emerge as a key player in the Nashville charter school market, but the Florida-based nonprofit will first have to overcome immediate opposition.
- With 1 in 3 students attending rural schools, coalition recommends focus on TN rural populations
- May 31, 6:44 AM: About one-in-three Tennessee students attend a rural school — and those students face challenges their suburban and urban counterparts sometimes do not share.
- State Sen. Bill Powers defends vote for school vouchers, despite campaign promise
- > May 31, 6:24 AM: His first significant act as state senator riled many of his constituents in the district encompassing Montgomery, Houston and Stewart counties. It was a vote of support for Gov. Bill Lee's school voucher bill, which was a
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%