- Why a battle is brewing over student data in Nashville schools
- > Aug 18, 6:43 AM: An MNPS spokeswoman said that it is acceptable for the district to share such census data with officials for the purpose of enrolling students in their charter schools, which are publicly financed but run by nonprofit
- Hamilton County Schools superintendent presents plan for 12 low-performing schools
- Aug 18, 5:36 AM: Hamilton County Schools' new Superintendent Bryan Johnson announced his plan to launch an Opportunity Zone to support 12 of the district's struggling schools Thursday night.
- Crosstown High wins $2.5 million to help reinvent high school in Memphis
- Aug 17, 5:23 AM: A charter school opening next year in midtown Memphis has been awarded a $2.5 million grant through a national contest aimed at reinventing America’s high schools.
- Shelby County Schools will seek a judge's input on grade-adding controversy with state-run schools
- > Aug 16, 5:49 AM: The state created the ASD to take over struggling schools and improve them before returning them to local control. In most cases, charter networks operate the schools under the ASD. Earlier this year, three opinions from
- Nashville's LEAD Public Schools won't submit amended applications to open two schools
- Aug 16, 5:27 AM: The move by LEAD leaves the Metro Schools board without a single charter school application this year. And it comes less than two weeks after the charter network's CEO resigned.
- New Tennessee law creates showdown with charter school over student data
- > Aug 14, 6:01 AM: In the first test of a new law that took effect in July, Shelby County Schools is rejecting a charter operator's request for student contact information, potentially setting up a legal battle with the state.
- Robertson School Board denies amended charter application, next steps unclear
- > Aug 10, 6:55 AM: The Robertson County School Board’s has denied an amended charter school application for a Springfield-based elementary school start-up, leaving the group behind it with only one option: seek state intervention.
- Where do Knox County students want to go to school?
- Aug 4, 7:36 AM: When Beaumont Magnet Academy Principal Windy Clayton welcomes students back to school Monday, a little more than half of them will be coming from neighborhoods around the school.
- Commission Tries to Stop Charter School Plan
- > Aug 2, 5:17 AM: Shelby County commissioners called on a charter school that planned to open in Memphis but instead wants to set up shop in Bartlett to stick by its original plan or put off opening Gateway University Charter School next
- Hamilton Co. Schools to work with advertising firm to rebrand image
- > Aug 1, 6:19 AM: The Johnson Group says the project will take several weeks, but wouldn't give us specific details on the rebranding. "I think it is trying to develop a unified message on what public education means – not only for Dr.
- County Commission Calls For Halt to Gateway Charter Plans in Bartlett
- > Aug 1, 5:41 AM: Shelby County Commissioners called on a charter school that planned to open in Memphis but instead is setting up shop in Bartlett to stick by its original plan or put off the opening of the Gateway University Charter
- Poll: Education reform among top issues for likely voters in Tennessee governor's race
- Aug 1, 5:31 AM: A majority of Republicans and Democrats rank education reform as one of the most important issues Tennessee's next governor must address, according to a new poll of likely primary voters.
- Memphis NAACP branch helps sway conversation on charter schools
- Jul 31, 5:06 AM: When the national NAACP called for a moratorium on new charter schools last fall, Deidre Malone, president of the Memphis branch, was more than a bit surprised.
- Charter school aiming for Downtown Memphis ends up in Bartlett
- Jul 31, 5:02 AM: A Shelby County charter school approved to open Aug. 7 in Downtown Memphis will operate instead in Bartlett after scrambling to find space two weeks before the start of the school year.
- Chattanooga City Council votes to request more time on plan for struggling schools
- > Jul 26, 5:43 AM: The Chattanooga City Council, for the most part, has backed a public stance on giving Hamilton County Schools some time to create a turnaround plan for five struggling schools sitting on the brink of state intervention.
- Struggling schools given year reprieve before possible closures
- > Jul 24, 7:24 AM: Willie Herenton believes his network of academically struggling charter schools in Memphis is improving. "We feel that we’re going to move the academic needle in a very positive direction," the former Memphis mayor and
- Hamilton Co. school board discusses other options for I-Zone schools
- Jul 21, 6:09 AM: The fight over Hamilton County's five low-performing schools or I-Zone schools continues as school board members discussed their options Thursday night.
- City Council delays vote on stance about whether state should intervene in struggling schools
- > Jul 20, 6:42 AM: The Tennessee Department of Education proposed in April the creation of a Partnership Zone, which would function as an independent mini-district within Hamilton County Schools, including Orchard Knob Elementary, Orchard
- Chattanooga city councilman wants to pass resolution to delay iZone deadline
- Jul 19, 5:54 AM: As the deadline approaches for school board members to make a decision on the iZone schools, some city council members are now weighing in.
- Former Memphis principal will lead iZone, turnaround work for Shelby County Schools
- > Jul 18, 6:18 AM: A former turnaround principal is returning to Memphis as an assistant superintendent overseeing the Innovation Zone and other school turnaround work for Shelby County Schools, a spokeswoman confirmed Monday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Nashville City Paper 83%
- Memphis Parent 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Herald & Tribune - Online 0%
- WTNZ-TV - Online 0%