- Parents of a first grader decide to homeschool if RCAS doesn’t implement masks in school
- Aug 24, 10:43 AM: The Rapid City Area school board meetst Monday, just hours before kids put on their backpacks, hop on the bus, and head to classrooms with the option to go maskless.
- Couple aim to start new private school in southern Sioux Falls, with standardized testing optional
- > Mar 24, 6:50 AM: "When we had to do the distance learning, that was kind of really the eye-opener of like, ‘We can do something different,’” Ashlee Johnson said. “There is a way to do this outside of teacher-led instruction. We were forced
- Gov. Kristi Noem’s $900K push for SD civics education curriculum clears first hurdle in House
- > Feb 24, 8:14 AM: A bill that would direct $900,000 in one-time funds toward Gov. Kristi Noem’s goal of educating South Dakota’s students why the “U.S. is the most special nation in the history of the world” got the green light in the state
- South Dakota teachers’ union president reacts to Noem’s history initiative
- > Jan 14, 7:58 AM: South Dakota teachers want to learn more about Governor Kristi Noem’s lesson plan for history and civics in public schools across the state. Noem says she wants to improve civic education by teaching kids all that makes
- Sioux Falls enrollment drop causes $2.5 million loss in state aid
- Oct 27, 5:27 AM: South Dakota's largest school district was expected to increase by nearly 200 students this school year but instead saw a decrease of close to 300.
- SD students suffering loss of learning during school closures
- > May 11, 6:27 AM: Millions of American schoolchildren, including tens of thousands in South Dakota, are suffering a loss of learning and reduced exposure to instructional rigor now that schools across the country have closed because of the
- S.D. students suffering loss of learning during school closures
- > Apr 27, 6:08 AM: As of mid-April, South Dakota and more than two dozen other states had decided schools would not reopen again during the spring semester. National experts and state and local educators acknowledge that remote learning,
- Native American charter school bill killed
- Mar 6, 9:24 AM: An effort to "smoke out" a bill to establish Native American charter schools failed to receive the necessary votes to bring it to the House floor.
- Native American charter school bill filed in South Dakota Legislature
- Jan 23, 9:19 AM: There has been discussion lately about focused charter schools because of the low graduation rate among Native American high school students; not just in South Dakota but other states as well.
- Charter school legislation in S.D. seen as path to improved outcomes for Native students
- > Nov 25, 7:02 AM: A push is underway for legislation to allow creation of charter schools that would integrate Indian culture, language and history into a curriculum designed to improve academic achievement among Native American children,
- Rural schools in S.D. face unique challenges that can affect learning
- Nov 18, 8:36 AM: Small, rural school systems in South Dakota and across the country face sometimes daunting challenges in providing a strong education to students.
- New coalition hopes to create public charter schools based on Oceti Sakowin values
- > Nov 18, 8:12 AM: A new coalition hopes to improve Native American educational opportunities and outcomes by creating public charter schools in Rapid City and across the state based on the values of the Oceti Sakowin, the Lakota, Dakota and
- Only half of South Dakota students proficient in English; less than half in math and science
- > Oct 1, 8:25 AM: South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said she is disappointed in recent statewide standardized test scores indicating that just over half of students were proficient in English language and fewer than half showed proficiency in
- Secretary of Education focuses in on 'opportunity gap' to help low income students succeed
- Sep 18, 6:41 AM: More than 90% of students attend school every day in South Dakota and about that same amount complete high school.
- Column: Knowledge-rich curriculum may narrow achievement gap
- > Aug 8, 7:31 AM: Last month, I traveled to Pierre for a civics education summit sponsored by new South Dakota Secretary of Education Ben Jones. This turned out to be one of the most useful and encouraging workshops I’ve attended in my more
- As SC public education revamp stalls, private school voucher supporters mount new push
- > Apr 5, 5:25 AM: With a bill attempting to overhaul public education stalled in the Senate, advocates for helping parents pay for private tuition with state taxes officially renewed their push at the Statehouse on Thursday.
- State Representative Scyller Borglum tackles rural education with new initiative
- > Apr 2, 6:28 AM: Representative Borglum wants to help high school students in less-populated areas have a better shot at going to post-secondary schools. She plans to have one-on-one sessions with educators, students and parents around the
- Lawmakers back bigger tax break for companies who fund private-school scholarships
- Feb 19, 6:36 AM: South Dakota lawmakers are considering boosting tax breaks for insurance companies that contribute to a fund paying for private school scholarships.
- SD House passes bill requiring citizenship tests for high school graduation
- > Feb 15, 7:14 AM: Passed by a 38-31 vote, House Bill 1066 would require that students in public schools and state-accredited private schools pass a 10-question civics test in order to graduate high school. The 10 questions would be sourced
- Noem's plan to see high schoolers pass U.S. Citizenship test advances with some changes
- > Feb 11, 8:23 AM: The measure, HB 1066, was initially submitted following Noem's State of the State address in which she pushed for stronger civics education in the state's high schools. The act would have required all students in public,
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Associated Press (AP) - Pierre Bureau 67%
- Huron Plainsman - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Watertown Public Opinion 17%
- KOTA Territory News 25%