- SC teachers could help create new pay system
New supt. Mick Zais wants teachers' salaries based on effectiveness, but opposes forming a committee of teachers to advise legislators crafting a new bill to revamp Ed funding in SC. Proposal was not unwelcome in the >
Feb 18, 8:18 AM:
- Public school dollars could soon fund charter schools
One-sided take on proposed SC charter funding bill. Reactions without any background information, competing voices or counterpoints -- add up to not really reporting at all.
Feb 17, 12:39 PM:
- SC House panel approves more money for charters
SC House panel voted Wednesday for a one-time state cash infusion for 11 charter schools. Info about the charters' successes/weaknesses needed as well as insights about the impact of funding on these.>
Feb 17, 12:05 PM:
- SC charter schools looking for money from local districts
SC House bill would fund charters with property taxes from where students live, taking it away from local school district. Profiled charter school already operates on less than half the county district's per pupil >
Feb 17, 9:05 AM:
- Latino 4 U - SOUTH CAROLINA ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL ENROLLMENT CONTINUES TO EXCEED EXPECTATIONS
SC public online Provost Academy's enrollment grows from 1,200 to 1,500 in its 2nd year of existence. Comparison of online student achievement versus traditional student achievement not provided.>
Feb 16, 10:40 AM:
- SC committee ranks awards, teacher stipends low
Proposals to trim teacher stipends for national certification while considering letting funds pay for those more effective in the classroom, which State Superintendent supports. Disconnect between teacher quality and >
Feb 15, 10:52 AM:
- Districts, charter schools face off
Districts are bracing for a fight against state-approved charters, which receive many fewer dollars than traditional district schools. The reporter doesn't explain how funding is different, and gives the reader the >
Feb 15, 9:56 AM:
- Let state fund charters
Another opinion that charters take money away from traditional public schools and shouldn't get tax money. Sources of reported data unknown -- you also should've looked at facts on school performance relative to dollar >
Feb 15, 9:02 AM:
- There are school stories worth telling
Local news coverage cutbacks move the Rock Hill school district to consider strategies to better convey their side of the story. The consequences of underreporting school activites should be spelled out clearly.>
Feb 14, 10:51 AM:
- SC schools superintendent pushes charter bill
SC school chief is angling for more charter schools, raising the usual funding issues. District claims they can't afford it. Who's to know without any figures here? Let's open up the books.
Feb 10, 2:23 PM:
- Greenville News editorial: Proposed changes to school funding are sensible
Proposed SC bill will provide money for schools educating poor and changes in teacher pay. Calls on legislature to fix funding, and assails union opposition to merit pay. Clearly there is more to the proposal than the >
Feb 10, 10:58 AM:
- Beaufort Schools offers free online test preparation
Beaufort students try out a new virtual test preparation program. How many other school districts use this type of test prep, and how well do they work? Key is extra work at home.
Feb 8, 1:59 PM:
- SC House to debate charter school funding | WRHI.com
S.C. lawmakers might require districts to equally fund all schools. Reporting could've more clearly defined charter schools, and provided example of a model state program.
Feb 8, 1:48 PM:
- Lawmakers predict belt-tightening for education
Tough economic times make for educational belt-tightening? Who would have guessed? Everyone. Legislators need to be forced to drop the platitudes when talking tough choices.
Feb 8, 11:30 AM:
- Rock Hill increases options for education
Traditional public school boundaries give way in SC, giving students more "choice." More of the same, with just new school title, isn't choice. Describe how learning is improved at new schools.>
Feb 7, 2:11 PM:
- Chinese immersion charter school rolling out in Cayce
A South Carolina school steps boldly into the 21st century! Covers the reasons it is there, and the excitement felt by everyone involved. Since Chinese kids learn English as a part of the curriculum, it’s about time.>
Feb 7, 9:26 AM:
- Growth, expansion, big changes ahead for Kennedy Charter
Kennedy Charter implements changes and sees positive results. Provides anecdotes and evidence on how to succesfully raise student acheivement.
Feb 4, 2:18 PM:
- Union Daily Times - Union County schools meeting progress goals
Elementary and middle schools meet federal Adequate Yearly Progress goals. It would help to mention previous performance and high school performance as well.
Feb 4, 12:30 PM:
- District could reap millions | Bluffton Today
Key legisation may mean equalizing funding for affluent counties and poorer communities. Confusing commentary that talks more about property taxes than the real issue--equitable school funding.
Feb 4, 10:47 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%