- S.C. school district, fighting state takeover, ‘has failed the children,’ parent says
- Jun 22, 5:47 AM: A rural S.C. school district, with one of the state’s worst academic records, is suing in hopes of derailing a state takeover of its schools.
- Education chief seizes control of failing, rural S.C. school district
- > Jun 20, 6:15 AM: South Carolina’s schools chief is taking control of Allendale County schools – declaring a “state of emergency” in the poor, rural district, which has one of the state’s worst academic records.
- South Carolina's online charter schools: A $350 million investment with disappointing returns
- Jun 19, 6:14 AM: Online charter schools have grown exponentially across South Carolina and the nation — and questions about their effectiveness are growing, too.
- Public Charter School District board approves incubator for new charter schools in South Carolina
- > Jun 12, 6:41 AM: The board of trustees for the South Carolina Public Charter School District approved a new $550,000 incubator Thursday afternoon aimed at equipping talented school leaders with training and support to launch their own
- In South Carolina, charter schools continue to spread into new counties
- > Jun 5, 5:00 AM: Anyone looking for evidence of the growing spread of charter schools could begin their search here. As Berkeley County struggles to meet the demands of its exploding population, some county leaders believe they have a new
- State of school choice in SC
- May 22, 4:53 AM: School choice has been a topic long-debated among educators, but has now come to the forefront of public scrutiny on the heels of Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’ confirmation hearing in February.
- Anger boils over at Charleston County School District protest: 'Morale at an all-time low'
- > May 9, 6:45 AM: On Monday night, Mercer joined about 225 people protesting in front of the Charleston County School District office. Some in the crowd were protesting the district's decision to evaluate teachers based on student
- SC nonprofit raises $10 million for private school choice
- Apr 25, 5:18 AM: The state’s private school-choice nonprofit has raised $10 million this year, hitting the cap on state tax credits available to donors.
- Mandarin language immersion schools coming soon to Charleston and Greenville
- > Apr 24, 6:19 AM: In small pockets across South Carolina, some public school students are getting just such an opportunity. A handful of public elementary schools offer Mandarin language programs starting as early as preschool, and a pair
- Aiken County School Board denies Graniteville charter school
- Apr 19, 6:47 AM: The Aiken County Board of Education denied approval of a new charter school Tuesday during a public hearing to consider the school at its regular meeting.
- East Spencer charter school clears big step toward 2018 opening date
- > Apr 17, 6:58 AM: The N.C. Charter Schools Advisory Board unanimously approved last week the application for the Essie Mae Kiser Foxx Charter School, clearing a major hurdle and virtually promising the East Spencer school will open Aug. 27,
- Great teachers, small class sizes among reasons for Rock Hill’s York Prep success
- > Apr 10, 4:58 AM: Savannah Hancock came to York Preparatory Academy as an eighth-grader who wanted to be a top academic performer. Now a junior, Hancock is ranked third in her class, a feat she credits to her teachers and York Prep’s
- Beaufort charter school receiving state honors for student achievement, academic growth
- Mar 31, 5:36 AM: Out of 35 charter schools in the state of South Carolina, a school in Beaufort is one of three recognized for its student achievement and academic growth.
- Proposal To Take Allegro Music Charter School To Burke Tabled, For Now
- > Mar 30, 5:40 AM: Opposition against the proposal to locate the Allegro Charter School for Music at the Burke High School campus has reached a fever pitch. Charleston County School District officials Monday removed it from the agenda as an
- Charleston County School board pauses North Charleston Center for Advanced Studies plan
- > Mar 28, 6:29 AM: The Charleston County School Board pumped the brakes on a plan that would involve tearing down North Charleston High School's football stadium, building a career training center on the site and closing the nearby Garrett
- Schools reap financial gain by transferring charters
- > Mar 15, 6:31 AM: Four charter schools are severing ties with the Greenville County school district, leaving only one charter school within the local district's domain next year. But their departure isn't so much a measure of discord
- Charleston charter music school could find new home under Burke High's roof
- > Mar 13, 5:31 AM: Proponents of the campus-sharing deal see it as a win-win: Burke students could take advantage of Allegro's specialized music programs, while Allegro students could take some of Burke's Advanced Placement classes.
- Battle over control of special-needs scholarships turns ugly
- > Mar 9, 7:06 AM: A storm is raging over control of a program that has awarded tuition grants for special needs students to attend private schools since 2014, after the program’s director was fired less than a month into the job for
- Open house at Horse Creek Academy charter school draws crowd
- > Mar 3, 7:16 AM: Parents in Aiken checked out a less traditional school option at an open house Thursday night at Horse Creek Academy. Horse Creek is a pre-k through 8 charter school on the eastern side of Aiken near Highway 78.
- State revokes charter for Columbia-based charter school
- > Feb 10, 6:27 AM: The decision by the South Carolina Public Charter School District Board of Trustees was made after the the school’s administrators made a last ditch effort to convince the board to let them remain open after this academic
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%