- GOP's Templeton would push taxpayer money to private, home schools in choice proposal
- Mar 21, 5:03 AM: Republican candidate for governor Catherine Templeton said Tuesday that S.C parents should be able to spend public education dollars on the schools of their choice, including private schools.
- Column: Why are we letting failing charter schools game the system, and send us the bill?
- > Mar 20, 5:15 AM: The lawmakers who want to prohibit failing charter schools from authorizer-shopping are right. And the Legislature needs to take action. Now. Before we get stuck paying for even more schools that are cheating children out
- Nearly 13,000 apply for Charleston County choice schools, shattering record
- Mar 20, 4:50 AM: A child in Charleston County has a better chance of going to an Ivy League college than getting into Buist Academy, a downtown public magnet school serving kindergarten through eighth grade.
- All-boys charter school Prestige Prep gets to stay open after six-hour discussion
- Mar 14, 6:16 AM: The Charleston County School Board voted 7-1 to keep an all-boys charter school open after a six-hour hearing with school officials Tuesday night.
- All-boys charter school facing closure less than two years after opening in North Charleston
- > Mar 12, 4:54 AM: But less than two years after opening, Prestige is facing a threat of closure due to low enrollment that spurred financial strife. Parents and teachers at the school say it hasn't had enough time to prove its worth.
- How for-profit companies, paid millions in SC tax dollars, are driving online schools
South Carolina’s two largest online charter schools paid nearly $39 million to for-profit companies last year to help manage the schools and provide the technology that connects students and teachers.>
Mar 12, 4:35 AM:
- SC charter district approves MOA with 4 schools
- > Mar 9, 7:30 AM: Board members with the South Carolina Public Charter School District have approved a memorandum of agreement with four schools who bypassed the state’s transfer law to leave the district for Erskine College’s Charter
- Letter: Why MSC became a charter school
- > Mar 9, 6:37 AM: Just as every child is unique, every charter school requires different levels of support and accountability to create best atmosphere for success. That is the very reason The Montessori School of Camden recently chose to
- Erskine raises $600K in private donations for Charter Institute
- Mar 8, 7:29 AM: Erskine College has raised $600,000 in private donations to go to its Charter Institute, an attorney for the institute told senators Wednesday.
- Innovation Academy to target young entrepreneurs
- Mar 5, 6:48 AM: A pilot program meant to resemble a college course is set to kick off this June with the goal of unlocking the entrepreneurial potential of high school students in Pitt County and beyond.
- Publicly funded charter school system in 'state of chaos,' SC senator says
- > Mar 2, 7:25 AM: A public feud between the state’s publicly funded charter-school district and four of its low-performing schools is drawing pointed criticisms from lawmakers, asking whether charter schools, granted more freedoms in
- House bill would limit higher education charter school authorizers
- Feb 28, 7:29 AM: A bill filed in the South Carolina House of Representatives would prohibit colleges from sponsoring more than three charter schools and bar them from retaining an administrative fee from the schools.
- Career and Technical Education Month: County highlights RockATOP apprenticeship program
- Feb 26, 6:08 AM: The proclamation served as a kick off to the invitational event in which 32 students vyed to do just that through the Rockingham Apprenticeship and Technical Opportunities Partnership program.
- District's magnet schools give students, parents more choice
- > Feb 26, 5:28 AM: At East Aiken School of the Arts, paintings, drawings and sculpture turn the halls into an art gallery. At Jackson STEM Magnet Middle School, using technology, students create apps and learn to think critically, giving
- Guilford County Schools holding magnet school forums, seeking input
- Feb 20, 8:03 AM: A team from an organization called Magnet Schools of America this week is visiting and reviewing each of Guilford County Schools’ 54 magnet programs at the request of the district.
- Lack of transportation costing charter school parents over $1,000 a year for private bus service
- Feb 20, 5:48 AM: The South Carolina Public Charter School District is pushing South Carolina lawmakers to provide them with transportation funding so they can provide student transportation at no cost.
- 4 charter schools bypass state law to switch sponsors
- Feb 12, 8:13 AM: Four charter schools with the South Carolina Public Charter School District found a way to change sponsors even though the district denied them the option of transferring.
- Charter district rejects transfer settlement between Erskine, schools
- > Feb 9, 7:14 AM: In a 5-2 vote, board members with the South Carolina Public Charter School District rejected a transfer settlement agreement that was intended as mediation between the district, some of its charter schools and Erskine
- Future uncertain at Greg Mathis Charter, all-boys Prestige Preparatory in North Charleston
- Jan 31, 8:13 AM: The Charleston County School District has sent letters to two charter schools in North Charleston calling into question their future with the district.
- Lake City parents hear about new school choice options
- Jan 31, 5:47 AM: Florence County School District Three held one of two meetings Tuesday evening to inform parents of the new schools choice options that will begin next school year.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%