- Charleston County School board pauses North Charleston Center for Advanced Studies plan
- > Mar 28, 6:29 AM: The Charleston County School Board pumped the brakes on a plan that would involve tearing down North Charleston High School's football stadium, building a career training center on the site and closing the nearby Garrett Academy of
- Schools reap financial gain by transferring charters
- > Mar 15, 6:31 AM: Four charter schools are severing ties with the Greenville County school district, leaving only one charter school within the local district's domain next year. But their departure isn't so much a measure of discord between
- Charleston charter music school could find new home under Burke High’s roof
- Mar 13, 5:31 AM: Proponents of the campus-sharing deal see it as a win-win: Burke students could take advantage of Allegro's specialized music programs, while Allegro students could take some of Burke's Advanced Placement classes.
- Battle over control of special-needs scholarships turns ugly
- > Mar 9, 7:06 AM: A storm is raging over control of a program that has awarded tuition grants for special needs students to attend private schools since 2014, after the program’s director was fired less than a month into the job for accidentally
- Open house at Horse Creek Academy charter school draws crowd
- Mar 3, 7:16 AM: Parents in Aiken checked out a less traditional school option at an open house Thursday night at Horse Creek Academy. Horse Creek is a pre-k through 8 charter school on the eastern side of Aiken near Highway 78.
- State revokes charter for Columbia-based charter school
- > Feb 10, 6:27 AM: The decision by the South Carolina Public Charter School District Board of Trustees was made after the the school’s administrators made a last ditch effort to convince the board to let them remain open after this academic
- Application filed for new Anderson County charter school
- > Feb 9, 7:18 AM: A planned charter school in Belton could be the answer to Anderson parent Angie King's prayers. Since her 3-year-old daughter was born, King has been worried about sending the child to a traditional public school, and homeschooling
- Public charter to apply to open school at Cane Bay
- > Feb 6, 7:44 AM: If the school is approved by the state, it would become the second public charter to open in Berkeley County. It would open for kindergarten through sixth grade in 2018-2019 school year, and eventually house more than 1,000 students
- Beaufort County students might have to enter lotteries for school choice slots this year
- Feb 1, 6:43 AM: As school choice registration opens Wednesday to place Beaufort County students into programs outside their home attendance area, parents eyeing certain options now face the possibility they may not get what they want.
- SC school choice advocates hope to expand offerings
- Jan 26, 6:11 AM: School choice advocates celebrated their successes Wednesday with a eye on further expanding offerings outside of traditional instruction across South Carolina.
- Advocates tout the benefits of school choice
- Jan 26, 6:00 AM: Evans said it’s past time for state and national leaders to allow taxpayer money to follow students in the form of vouchers — whether those students attend public or private schools.
- Local school joins national school choice week
- > Jan 25, 6:14 AM: But going to a private school wouldn’t have been possible without school choice, which allows students and parents to attend a private school, home school, or attend a public school in a different attendance area than where the
- All-boys’ charter school off to a rocky start in North Charleston
- > Jan 19, 6:58 AM: Halfway through the first school year at Prestige, deep problems lie just below the surface. The third- and fourth-graders in the lobby, for instance, have been sitting in a combined classroom since teachers and students left the
- Chinese-immersion charter school in West Columbia plans major expansion
- Jan 16, 8:23 AM: Edward Davis is the school board president at East Point Academy, a Chinese immersion charter school with 535 students in West Columbia.
- Darlington County School District offers expanded school choice program
- Jan 11, 6:08 AM: In an effort to give parents more flexibility and control in the educational process, Darlington County School District is offering district-wide Expanded School Choice for the 2017-2018 school year.
- New arts-focused charter school planned for Columbia
- Jan 3, 7:42 AM: A committee of arts professionals, educators, parents and community members is moving forward with plans to open an arts charter school in Columbia, to be named the Midlands Arts Conservatory (MAC).
- Charter school advocates shifting gears in South Carolina
- > Dec 27, 6:26 AM: An anonymous group registered as a company in Washington D.C. poured money into advertisements and mailers in this year's Charleston County School Board race, possibly foreshadowing a fight over school choice and charter
- Proposed charter school eyes industry growth
- Dec 22, 8:06 AM: Polaris Tech is a proposed public charter school with its sights set on a Ridgeland location. The charter school hopes to open for the 2018-19 school year, offering grades six to 10 for about 160 students.
- Calhoun Falls Charter School battles declining enrollment, low funding
- > Dec 22, 8:00 AM: As Abbeville County School District administrators work out how to update their dilapidated and aging school buildings with little to no available funding, Calhoun Falls Charter School sits in a corner of the county with its own
- A new charter school hopes to raise the bar on education in Jasper County
- Dec 6, 6:46 AM: A new charter school in Jasper County could offer parents more than just another alternative to the area’s failing public schools, a group of local educators and professionals say.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%