- Rock Hill charter school reduces staff amid lower-than-expected enrollment
- Sep 19, 5:29 AM: Riverwalk Academy, a public K-12 charter school in Rock Hill, said it has had to dismiss some of its employees after seeing lower student enrollment this fall.
- Charter district could deny school transfers to Erskine College
- > Sep 18, 5:38 AM: Wilson released an opinion Sept. 7 at the request of Gov. Henry McMaster stating that funding for charter schools wishing to transfer out of the South Carolina Public Charter School District could likely transfer to the
- Coastal Montessori Charter School to add to campus
- Sep 14, 6:21 AM: The Coastal Montessori Charter School could add a gym or basketball courts in the future after the Georgetown County School Board agreed to purchase an adjoining property just south of the campus.
- Greenville County to sell old Berea school property to charter school
- Sep 6, 5:36 AM: Greenville County will sell the property to nonprofit corporation Campbell Young Leaders on behalf of Legacy Early College, formerly Legacy Charter School, for $400,000.
- Charter schools promised to give children more for less. Are they succeeding?
- > Aug 28, 5:01 AM: This month, two low-performing online schools asked whether they could leave the statewide charter school district in favor of another sponsor. That request came after the statewide district told the schools they were in
- Virtual schools to stick with charter district for now
- > Aug 24, 5:49 AM: After putting in a request to transfer from the South Carolina Public Charter District to Erskine College’s new Charter Institute, the South Carolina Virtual Charter School and Cyber Academy of South Carolina have amended
- Virtual charter school authorizer decision on hold until next year
- Aug 21, 5:08 AM: Two virtual charter schools have withdrawn their requests to transfer out of the S.C. Public Charter School District, at least for the current school year.
- Charleston Charter School for Math and Science gets 10th principal in 9 years
- > Aug 8, 6:52 AM: The downtown public school serves grades 6 through 12 and is open to all Charleston County students. It boasts a racially integrated student body and a 90 percent college acceptance rate for its graduates, with about
- South Carolina's charter school authorizer standards raise concerns among charter advocates, scholars
- Aug 7, 5:50 AM: Weaknesses in South Carolina's public charter school authorization law could make the state a breeding ground for failing schools, according to charter scholars and advocates.
- Path forward remains unclear in state takeover of Allendale County schools
- > Aug 3, 6:41 AM: After a summer of legal tussling between the Alllendale County School Board and the state Department of Education, the path forward remains unclear for one of the lowest-performing and highest-poverty districts in the
- Erskine College's new role as charter school gatekeeper could change landscape of public education
- Aug 1, 6:45 AM: A private Christian college in Due West could become the gatekeeper for millions of state taxpayer dollars to fund online charter schools.
- Parents pull students from SC charter school amid concerns
- > Jul 20, 7:19 AM: Parents and former staff members of Riverwalk Academy, a public K-12 charter school off Mount Gallant Road in Rock Hill, continue to share concerns about the recent firings of multiple staff members and changes in
- Health charter school to open in August
- > Jul 12, 5:25 AM: The High School for Health Professions is sponsored by District 5 and operates under its own seven-member board. The school district provides it with negotiated services, but operating funds do not directly come from the
- Corridor of Shame Still Festers Even With State Takeover of Schools
- > Jun 29, 6:05 AM: South Carolina Department of Education Secretary Molly Spearman last week announced state takeover of Allendale County schools in a move that only scratches the surface of a festering sore deeply rooted in the state’s
- S.C. school district, fighting state takeover, ‘has failed the children,’ parent says
- Jun 22, 5:47 AM: A rural S.C. school district, with one of the state’s worst academic records, is suing in hopes of derailing a state takeover of its schools.
- Education chief seizes control of failing, rural S.C. school district
- > Jun 20, 6:15 AM: South Carolina’s schools chief is taking control of Allendale County schools – declaring a “state of emergency” in the poor, rural district, which has one of the state’s worst academic records.
- South Carolina's online charter schools: A $350 million investment with disappointing returns
- Jun 19, 6:14 AM: Online charter schools have grown exponentially across South Carolina and the nation — and questions about their effectiveness are growing, too.
- Public Charter School District board approves incubator for new charter schools in South Carolina
- > Jun 12, 6:41 AM: The board of trustees for the South Carolina Public Charter School District approved a new $550,000 incubator Thursday afternoon aimed at equipping talented school leaders with training and support to launch their own
- In South Carolina, charter schools continue to spread into new counties
- > Jun 5, 5:00 AM: Anyone looking for evidence of the growing spread of charter schools could begin their search here. As Berkeley County struggles to meet the demands of its exploding population, some county leaders believe they have a new
- State of school choice in SC
- May 22, 4:53 AM: School choice has been a topic long-debated among educators, but has now come to the forefront of public scrutiny on the heels of Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’ confirmation hearing in February.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%