- Private, charter schools win suit
- Jun 25, 7:02 AM: In May, 12 private and charter schools argued they were unfairly targeted by the new rules and filed suit, seeking a temporary injunction.
- Charter schools win court battle against SC High School League. Here’s what that means
- > Jun 23, 7:32 AM: Richland County Common Pleas Judge Jocelyn Newman granted the charter and private schools an injunction that would push back two amendments passed in March regarding school-to-school transfers and athletic eligibility
- Some SC private schools potentially closing due to financial strain on families caused by pandemic
- Jun 17, 5:56 AM: According to the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA), some private schools might have to close their doors this fall.
- Public charter and private school lawsuit against SCHSL moves to Columbia
- > Jun 12, 7:25 AM: A civil lawsuit filed by a group of 13 public charter and private schools against the South Carolina High School League over eligibility rules has been moved from Greenville County to Richland County, Dave Wilson of
- 4 Sumter students graduate from South Carolina Connections Academy
- > Jun 4, 7:28 AM: South Carolina Connections Academy, a tuition-free online public school serving students in grades K-12 in South Carolina, celebrated the graduation of 585 seniors during a virtual commencement ceremony on May 29.
- Six private and charter schools in Greenville County file lawsuit against SCHSL
- > May 19, 7:40 AM: Six private and charter schools from Greenville County filed a lawsuit against the South Carolina High School League for changes it made to by-laws, according to separate releases from Christ Church Episcopal School and
- SC virtual teacher hasn’t been ‘affected at all’ by pandemic, offers advice
- May 14, 7:07 AM: The South Carolina Virtual Charter School has had almost no impacts during the pandemic, and now a teacher there wants to help parents and students at other schools who may still be figuring out e-learning.
- Letter: Online teachers are appreciated
- > May 8, 7:19 AM: Mrs. Jessica Bridges was my seventh-grade Social Studies teacher at South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) and she’s amazing! Every time we logged into our virtual class connect sessions, she was so cheerful.
- Opinion | Private school plight, public school consequences
- May 8, 7:04 AM: Tough times are ahead for all educational institutions, but private schools may be in the most precarious situation of them all.
- Clear Dot Charter brings clear vision to virtual learning
- > May 6, 6:44 AM: Principal Lindsey Ott at Clear Dot Charter School acknowledges how a lack of resources can negatively impact academic growth home. However, this charter school, located in Columbia, made sure early on to supply each home
- Thousands of students in SC aren't doing their school work. Some have completely ghosted
- > May 4, 7:08 AM: Based on that survey, state Superintendent Molly Spearman told a panel of leaders that she estimates between 4% and 5% of students — or about 31,000 to 39,000 — have been unaccounted for since public schools closed.
- Summer classes, split school days, make-ups among options for schools, officials say Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article242396316.html#storylink=cpy
Expanded summer school, a make-up week of classes and split school days. Those are some of the ways K-12 education, especially for the youngest students, could change because of coronavirus in South Carolina, officials >
May 1, 5:42 AM:
- Commentary: Education: Crisis and beyond
- Apr 23, 7:18 AM: But during these years and even years to come, how many generations of poor children must pass through our schools without being guaranteed, not high-quality, but just minimally adequate education?
- Rock Hill’s York Prep charter school to open second campus. What to know.
- > Apr 22, 6:48 AM: The campus will open in fall of 2022, and serve students in kindergarten through fifth grade the first year, according to a release from York Prep leaders. The campus eventually will serve students up through eighth
- Letter: Four tips for coping with online school
- Apr 20, 6:47 AM: My daughter Chloe transferred to South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) in ninth grade. She has anxiety and a diagnosed eating disorder, so online learning gave her the best chance at success.
- S.C. public charter school district approves Sumter STEAM Charter, first in county
- > Apr 17, 7:04 AM: The push for Sumter STEAM Charter was led by local private business owner Greg Thompson and began about a year ago. Thompson, who is also chairman of the Sumter Development Board, hired Trevor Ivey, a former Sumter School
- Charter Institute at Erskine leading the way in innovation for virtual special education learning
- > Apr 17, 6:21 AM: As schools have been left scrambling to create distance learning plans for students during closures because of the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been an even bigger challenge for the special education population.
- S.C. charter schools help with e-learning amid COVID-19 crisis
- > Apr 16, 6:55 AM: South Carolina Charter Schools are public facilities that offer alternative forms of learning. They typically have a focus like science and technology or, in the case of The Cyber Academy of South Carolina, can be
- S.C. Dept. of Ed. launches online remote learning portal
- > Apr 14, 7:15 AM: As teachers, parents and students adjust to a new and unprecedented way of learning and living, the South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) is dedicated to delivering support as we all navigate and learn together.
- Goose Creek charter school welcomes new students to enroll during coronavirus pandemic
- > Apr 9, 7:45 AM: A Goose Creek charter school is welcoming new students to enroll amid the coronavirus pandemic. Mevers School of Excellence leaders want students to have options to make sure they are getting the education they need while
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%