- Opinion: We’ve spent two decades vilifying teachers. We’re surprised we can’t recruit more?
- > Jul 3, 6:01 AM: It’s no surprise that South Carolina is facing thousand of vacant teaching jobs and fewer and fewer young people are willing to fill them, considering that we have lowest average beginning teacher salary in the Southeast
- What does a new charter school in Rock Hill mean for students, York County schools?
- > Jun 25, 4:55 AM: Legion Collegiate Academy students will attend either a morning or afternoon session focused on traditional high school subjects and college-level classes. The students also will take two online elective courses, according
- Upstate's GREEN Charter School expanding to Charleston area, focuses on renewable energy
- Jun 5, 5:37 AM: The founders of a charter school with a focus on energy and environmental science plan to open new locations in the Charleston and Spartanburg areas in the fall of 2019.
- SC Department of Education sends pilot programs to rural districts
- Jun 4, 7:21 AM: South Carolina’s Department of Education spent just less than $100,000 to have Betabox’s mobile tech labs visit 10 schools in the state, with McCormick High being the last stop.
- Opinion: School district takeovers remove black representation
- > May 29, 5:26 AM: Elected officials should be removed only if they are incapacitated or charged with a felony or some other grievous crime; otherwise they should retain their power of representation. The General Assembly should not allow,
- Mevers School of Excellence helps students excel through personalized learning and technology
- > May 10, 7:05 AM: The school, named after one of its donors and creators, the Mevers family, is a personalized learning school. They use data to drive instruction. Both teachers and students have data notebooks, they meet to talk and set
- Teach here, we'll rent you a house: SC schools take desperate steps to find teachers
- May 4, 6:11 AM: Grappling with a teacher turnover rate between 10 and 20 percent, a few rural districts are taking a chance on real estate to help stop the bleeding.
- Department of Education says charter schools not in trouble
- Apr 24, 5:50 AM: The financial situation at three Horry County charter schools isn’t as dire as local school officials indicated during a recent committee meeting.
- 6 new schools could open under Erskine Charter Institute next year
- Apr 23, 7:20 AM: Erskine College’s Charter Institute approved one new charter school and conditionally approved five other new charter schools at a board meeting Friday.
- Letter: SC virtual charter school is opening doors every day
- Apr 23, 4:43 AM: In the past 10 years, I have opened the door to S.C. Connections Academy’s office more than 2,000 times. Connections Academy is an online public school, delivering education to students statewide.
- Charter district approves policy denying breach schools option to transfer
- Apr 19, 6:58 AM: Charter schools now have a guideline to follow if they want to transfer in or out of the state’s Public Charter School District.
- State takes over another SC school district
- Apr 12, 5:38 AM: The state of South Carolina has taken over another poor, failing school district — its second takeover within the past year.
- ATEC students enter apprentice program
- > Apr 10, 6:48 AM: Two Applied Technology Education Campus (ATEC) students have begun work as registered youth apprentices with Thompson Turner, the construction management company building the new Camden Elementary School. The
- Parents and Faculty Fight to Save Charter School
- Apr 5, 6:36 AM: Neal is in the 9th grade and attends the South Carolina Science Academy. He's faced many challenges in life, being legally blind, but he and his mother agree this school has helped him excel.
- Polaris Tech holds student lottery
- Apr 5, 5:55 AM: It was an evening of anticipation for parents as many gathered at the Palmetto Electric Community Room in Ridgeland Tuesday night to find out if their children will attend the new charter school.
- Priced out, stressed out, begging for a chance: The new landscape of school choice in Charleston
- > Apr 3, 6:38 AM: Applications for seats in Charleston County School District's public magnet, charter and Montessori schools have more than tripled since 2015, while the number of seats in those schools has stayed roughly the same.
- Lawsuit filed against Williamsburg County School District
- > Mar 29, 6:04 AM: The lawsuit says: The Williamsburg County School District intentionally failed to follow a mandatory funding formula established in the Charter Schools Act and did not provide funding to D.P. Cooper Charter School within
- Our View: Senate wisely tries to slow charter school growth
- > Mar 22, 6:26 AM: As Erskine College in Due West has assumed the mantle as the savior of failing charter schools across the state, senators are applying the brakes to a proviso from the House that would cap the number of charter schools
- Senators discuss slowing higher ed charter school growth
- > Mar 21, 7:36 AM: Senators rejected a proviso from the state House of Representatives that would limit the South Carolina Public School District and higher education institutions from having more than 60 charter schools combined.
- Column: An old-fashioned neighborhood school is also a good choice
- > Mar 21, 7:11 AM: A lot of aspiring Buist Academy parents are going to be disappointed next month. About 1,879 of them, to be exact. As Paul Bowers reports, applications for Charleston County magnet and charter schools are through the roof
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%