- SC voucher bill won’t trump efforts to bolster public schools, Senate leader insists
- > Dec 4, 9:15 AM: Legislation that could take hundreds of millions out of state coffers to help parents pay for private tuition will be part of next year’s education debate, but it will not trump efforts to bolster the public school system,
- SC bill would expand private school choice to low income students
- > Dec 4, 6:32 AM: Parents of low-income students in South Carolina would be able to take the state portion of school funding allocated to their student and use it at a private school under a proposal being discussed by state senators.
- Charleston school board approves ‘acceleration zone,’ plan to vet third-party partners
- > Nov 25, 6:57 AM: As it takes aim at some of its lowest performing schools, the Charleston County School District has a dual strategy: give them more flexibility and possibly even new outside partners, including either companies or
- Scoppe: This tiny change to SC law could be transformative for Charleston schools, and beyond
- > Nov 18, 6:56 AM: The latest change in South Carolina’s massive overhaul of its troubled schools guarantees that control of failing districts taken over by the state wouldn’t return to the same leaders who presided over years of abysmal
- Commentary: No more education reform. It’s time to transform communities
- > Nov 18, 6:43 AM: Public school educators in South Carolina are working very hard to improve outcomes for students. And they are inundated by well-intended programs and reform efforts to “fix” our schools — in literacy, mathematics, career
- Lawmakers continue to mull over massive education bill
- Nov 14, 6:27 AM: Lawmakers designated this year as the year for education. And earlier this year both the House and Senate filed a comprehensive bill more than 80 pages long they believe will reform education in the state.
- Spartanburg Prep School to expand again
- Nov 8, 7:56 AM: Spartanburg Preparatory School, a charter school, is planning a multi-million-dollar building expansion to meet rising enrollment demand.
- Editorial: Big changes for Charleston schools? School board, parents must work together
- Nov 8, 6:31 AM: It’s no surprise that parents are upset about proposals to close some Charleston County neighborhood schools and partial-magnet programs.
- Educational equity at forefront of civil rights in Charleston, study finds
- Oct 25, 6:58 AM: Quality education and its connection to economic opportunity and growth remain a major battleground for people of color in Charleston, according to a report released Friday.
- North Charleston struggles to fix its schools as crime, housing prices rise
- > Oct 2, 5:46 AM: The city has engaged in several efforts, including after-school programs, summer initiatives, collaborative efforts with the Charleston County School District to establish new institutions, and public-private partnerships.
- SC manufacturers desperately need skilled workers, but the state is better off than most
- > Sep 24, 7:33 AM: While his classmates are studying for AP exams, Mauldin High School senior Iquavious Lewis works part-time at Michelin. Lewis is one year into the Michelin Youth Apprentice Program at the Greenville plant, where he and
- 13 struggling Charleston County schools being considered for private partnerships
- > Sep 24, 5:56 AM: Despite the efforts of educators, philanthropists, community groups and parents to improve education in some of Charleston’s failing schools, the district has made it clear it’s open to outside help from outside groups.
- Editorial: New Orleans experiment shows why SC has to close failing charter schools
- > Sep 9, 7:11 AM: Fourteen years after it started, New Orleans’ charter-school experiment reached a milestone this summer, when the Big Easy became the first major U.S. city that doesn’t offer any traditional schools.
- Commentary: ‘Social Emotional Learning’ must be part of SC education reform
- > Aug 28, 6:04 AM: The 2019-20 academic year begins with more questions than answers regarding education reform. While much has been written and discussed over the past year regarding the failed state of education in South Carolina, the
- PTC Training Partnership Provides Pathway to Gainful Employment
- Aug 14, 7:27 AM: A thriving partnership between Piedmont Technical College (PTC) and Greenwood Pathway House is helping at-risk individuals get a second chance at employment, housing, and independence.
- School choice: These are the top picks for students and parents in Greenville County
- Aug 13, 7:42 AM: Nicky Jackson lives in Mauldin, but her two children attend schools in downtown Greenville courtesy of the Greenville County school district's change-in-assignment school choice program.
- McMaster creates new position to lead education reform in SC
- > Aug 8, 7:03 AM: Gov. Henry McMaster has hired the longtime director of South Carolina’s education oversight agency to help advance ideas that will transform the state’s lagging public schools, signaling he intends to seize the bully
- Local online education student pursuing career in musical theatre
- > Aug 7, 7:40 AM: Zarina Cameron is following her dream to perform in musical theatre all the way to New York City. Cameron has been accepted into the American Musical and Dramatic Academy for the Fall 2019. A recent graduate of the online
- Mountains of paperwork lack purpose and disrupt teaching, SC teachers say in survey
- > Aug 2, 5:35 AM: South Carolina teachers say mountains of paperwork are burying them, leaving them unable to effectively teach their students. That problem, highlighted in a new survey of S.C. teachers released Thursday, is partly why they
- SC for Ed leaders tour the state to push for continued education reform
- > Jul 25, 5:04 AM: After 10,000 educators and supporters rallied at the South Carolina State House to advocate for higher teacher salaries and improved working conditions, legislators mandated a four percent salary increase for educators
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%