- State of school choice in SC
- May 22, 4:53 AM: School choice has been a topic long-debated among educators, but has now come to the forefront of public scrutiny on the heels of Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’ confirmation hearing in February.
- Anger boils over at Charleston County School District protest: ‘Morale at an all-time low’
- > May 9, 6:45 AM: On Monday night, Mercer joined about 225 people protesting in front of the Charleston County School District office. Some in the crowd were protesting the district's decision to evaluate teachers based on student standardized test
- SC nonprofit raises $10 million for private school choice
- Apr 25, 5:18 AM: The state’s private school-choice nonprofit has raised $10 million this year, hitting the cap on state tax credits available to donors.
- Mandarin language immersion schools coming soon to Charleston and Greenville
- > Apr 24, 6:19 AM: In small pockets across South Carolina, some public school students are getting just such an opportunity. A handful of public elementary schools offer Mandarin language programs starting as early as preschool, and a pair of new
- Aiken County School Board denies Graniteville charter school
- Apr 19, 6:47 AM: The Aiken County Board of Education denied approval of a new charter school Tuesday during a public hearing to consider the school at its regular meeting.
- East Spencer charter school clears big step toward 2018 opening date
- > Apr 17, 6:58 AM: The N.C. Charter Schools Advisory Board unanimously approved last week the application for the Essie Mae Kiser Foxx Charter School, clearing a major hurdle and virtually promising the East Spencer school will open Aug. 27,
- Great teachers, small class sizes among reasons for Rock Hill’s York Prep success
- > Apr 10, 4:58 AM: Savannah Hancock came to York Preparatory Academy as an eighth-grader who wanted to be a top academic performer. Now a junior, Hancock is ranked third in her class, a feat she credits to her teachers and York Prep’s approach, which
- Beaufort charter school receiving state honors for student achievement, academic growth
- Mar 31, 5:36 AM: Out of 35 charter schools in the state of South Carolina, a school in Beaufort is one of three recognized for its student achievement and academic growth.
- Proposal To Take Allegro Music Charter School To Burke Tabled, For Now
- > Mar 30, 5:40 AM: Opposition against the proposal to locate the Allegro Charter School for Music at the Burke High School campus has reached a fever pitch. Charleston County School District officials Monday removed it from the agenda as an item for
- Charleston County School board pauses North Charleston Center for Advanced Studies plan
- > Mar 28, 6:29 AM: The Charleston County School Board pumped the brakes on a plan that would involve tearing down North Charleston High School's football stadium, building a career training center on the site and closing the nearby Garrett Academy of
- Schools reap financial gain by transferring charters
- > Mar 15, 6:31 AM: Four charter schools are severing ties with the Greenville County school district, leaving only one charter school within the local district's domain next year. But their departure isn't so much a measure of discord between
- Charleston charter music school could find new home under Burke High’s roof
- Mar 13, 5:31 AM: Proponents of the campus-sharing deal see it as a win-win: Burke students could take advantage of Allegro's specialized music programs, while Allegro students could take some of Burke's Advanced Placement classes.
- Battle over control of special-needs scholarships turns ugly
- > Mar 9, 7:06 AM: A storm is raging over control of a program that has awarded tuition grants for special needs students to attend private schools since 2014, after the program’s director was fired less than a month into the job for accidentally
- Open house at Horse Creek Academy charter school draws crowd
- Mar 3, 7:16 AM: Parents in Aiken checked out a less traditional school option at an open house Thursday night at Horse Creek Academy. Horse Creek is a pre-k through 8 charter school on the eastern side of Aiken near Highway 78.
- State revokes charter for Columbia-based charter school
- > Feb 10, 6:27 AM: The decision by the South Carolina Public Charter School District Board of Trustees was made after the the school’s administrators made a last ditch effort to convince the board to let them remain open after this academic
- Application filed for new Anderson County charter school
- > Feb 9, 7:18 AM: A planned charter school in Belton could be the answer to Anderson parent Angie King's prayers. Since her 3-year-old daughter was born, King has been worried about sending the child to a traditional public school, and homeschooling
- Public charter to apply to open school at Cane Bay
- > Feb 6, 7:44 AM: If the school is approved by the state, it would become the second public charter to open in Berkeley County. It would open for kindergarten through sixth grade in 2018-2019 school year, and eventually house more than 1,000 students
- Beaufort County students might have to enter lotteries for school choice slots this year
- Feb 1, 6:43 AM: As school choice registration opens Wednesday to place Beaufort County students into programs outside their home attendance area, parents eyeing certain options now face the possibility they may not get what they want.
- SC school choice advocates hope to expand offerings
- Jan 26, 6:11 AM: School choice advocates celebrated their successes Wednesday with a eye on further expanding offerings outside of traditional instruction across South Carolina.
- Advocates tout the benefits of school choice
- Jan 26, 6:00 AM: Evans said it’s past time for state and national leaders to allow taxpayer money to follow students in the form of vouchers — whether those students attend public or private schools.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%