- North Charleston struggles to fix its schools as crime, housing prices rise
- > Oct 2, 5:46 AM: The city has engaged in several efforts, including after-school programs, summer initiatives, collaborative efforts with the Charleston County School District to establish new institutions, and public-private partnerships.
- SC manufacturers desperately need skilled workers, but the state is better off than most
- > Sep 24, 7:33 AM: While his classmates are studying for AP exams, Mauldin High School senior Iquavious Lewis works part-time at Michelin. Lewis is one year into the Michelin Youth Apprentice Program at the Greenville plant, where he and
- 13 struggling Charleston County schools being considered for private partnerships
- > Sep 24, 5:56 AM: Despite the efforts of educators, philanthropists, community groups and parents to improve education in some of Charleston’s failing schools, the district has made it clear it’s open to outside help from outside groups.
- Editorial: New Orleans experiment shows why SC has to close failing charter schools
- > Sep 9, 7:11 AM: Fourteen years after it started, New Orleans’ charter-school experiment reached a milestone this summer, when the Big Easy became the first major U.S. city that doesn’t offer any traditional schools.
- Commentary: ‘Social Emotional Learning’ must be part of SC education reform
- > Aug 28, 6:04 AM: The 2019-20 academic year begins with more questions than answers regarding education reform. While much has been written and discussed over the past year regarding the failed state of education in South Carolina, the
- PTC Training Partnership Provides Pathway to Gainful Employment
- Aug 14, 7:27 AM: A thriving partnership between Piedmont Technical College (PTC) and Greenwood Pathway House is helping at-risk individuals get a second chance at employment, housing, and independence.
- School choice: These are the top picks for students and parents in Greenville County
- Aug 13, 7:42 AM: Nicky Jackson lives in Mauldin, but her two children attend schools in downtown Greenville courtesy of the Greenville County school district's change-in-assignment school choice program.
- McMaster creates new position to lead education reform in SC
- > Aug 8, 7:03 AM: Gov. Henry McMaster has hired the longtime director of South Carolina’s education oversight agency to help advance ideas that will transform the state’s lagging public schools, signaling he intends to seize the bully
- Local online education student pursuing career in musical theatre
- > Aug 7, 7:40 AM: Zarina Cameron is following her dream to perform in musical theatre all the way to New York City. Cameron has been accepted into the American Musical and Dramatic Academy for the Fall 2019. A recent graduate of the online
- Mountains of paperwork lack purpose and disrupt teaching, SC teachers say in survey
- > Aug 2, 5:35 AM: South Carolina teachers say mountains of paperwork are burying them, leaving them unable to effectively teach their students. That problem, highlighted in a new survey of S.C. teachers released Thursday, is partly why they
- SC for Ed leaders tour the state to push for continued education reform
- > Jul 25, 5:04 AM: After 10,000 educators and supporters rallied at the South Carolina State House to advocate for higher teacher salaries and improved working conditions, legislators mandated a four percent salary increase for educators
- Leaders of proposed Sumter charter school lay out 1st priorities
- > Jul 24, 7:21 AM: Preparing an effective application to the state charter school board and hiring an experienced school administrator are top priorities for the new chief of staff of a proposed new public charter school for Sumter County.
- Commentary: Removing school boards is not the answer to education challenges
- > Jul 24, 6:14 AM: The idea that “the government closest to the people serves the people best” is a founding principle of America’s democratic republic and a longstanding keystone of conservative philosophy in particular.
- Palmetto Promise has plan to improve education in South Carolina
- > Jul 23, 5:11 AM: Weaver described South Carolina’s education system as being “mired in the past,” with a one-size-fits-all approach that involves “everyone learning the same thing on the same page at the same time.
- After losing its charter, North Charleston school faces shutting down for good
- > Jul 19, 7:30 AM: Prestige Preparatory Academy opened in 2016 as a public charter school sponsored by the Charleston County School District. The all-boys school was created to provide a unique, “boy-specific” curriculum with a focus on
- SC needs ‘bold’ changes to rescue chronically failing schools, Senate chairman says
- > Jul 9, 5:23 AM: Legislators must approve “bold” ways to intervene in South Carolina’s K-12 chronically failing schools when local officials can’t get the job done, the state Senate Education chairman said Monday in launching a second
- Commentary: Keep school choice, but make all neighborhood schools great too
- > Jul 9, 5:08 AM: In the July 1 article titled “School board juggles short-term solutions for decades-old problems in Charleston County,” reporter Jenna Schiferl accurately reported the view I expressed to the school board regarding school
- South Carolina schools chief 'very concerned' about governor's schools no-confidence votes
- > Jul 8, 6:10 AM: State Superintendent of Education Molly Spearman is “very concerned” after recent no-confidence votes were taken against the heads of the state’s two governor’s schools, according to a spokesman with the state Department
- Editorial: Weed out failing SC charter schools
- > Jun 28, 6:57 AM: The idea behind charter schools is that if we free them of some of the normal red tape we’ll get greater parental involvement and the innovations that are too often stifled in the regular public schools. In return for that
- SC teachers meet, emphasize collaborative action in education reform
- Jun 28, 5:31 AM: School’s out for the summer, but some South Carolina teachers have given themselves extra homework: continuing their push for state education reform.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
- WHNS-TV - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Lancaster News - Online, The 0%