- Achievement First postpones charter school expansion plans in Providence
- Nov 9, 7:26 AM: Achievement First, a controversial charter school network in Providence, has decided to postpone opening a new middle school next year, saying it needs to work out more details with Mayor Jorge Elorza.
- State education board members slam charter school’s admission violations
- > Nov 8, 7:26 AM: Beacon Charter School took a beating Tuesday night from several members of the Rhode Island Council on Elementary and Secondary Education, who questioned whether a three-year renewal was a strong enough response after the
- Woonsocket Beacon Charter school broke admission-lottery rule
- Nov 7, 6:47 AM: A Woonsocket charter school required that entering freshmen pass eighth-grade English and math, in violation of the state’s policy that says charter school students be admitted by a blind lottery.
- Top of class: 28 R.I. schools earn state commendation
- > Oct 20, 5:49 AM: Two Providence schools with high rates of poverty, Classical High School and Achievement First charter school, are among 28 statewide that have been recognized as commended schools by the Rhode Island Department of
- Charter school offers to buy defunct Aldrich Junior High in Warwick
- > Oct 18, 5:48 AM: City officials are exploring International Charter School’s bid of $1.9 million, with $70,000 annual payments in lieu of taxes, but are continuing to explore alternatives to make sure they’re getting the best value for the
- RI teachers union ads seek public support amid veto-override effort
- > Sep 12, 6:12 AM: With lawmakers headed back to the State House next week for a potential veto-override vote on a highly controversial contract bill, the state’s largest teachers union has launched a $92,000 ad campaign to try to change the
- Inside the RI high school keeping teen parents on track
- > Sep 5, 4:58 AM: Founded in 2013, the school has two campuses – one in Providence and one in Central Falls – and 160 students, many of whom are pregnant or already have children. With only 40% of teen moms throughout the country currently
- Charter school Achievement First starts first year of middle school
- > Aug 24, 5:41 AM: This month, the first class to go through the Achievement First Providence Mayoral Academy Middle School will be starting the school year with a class of fifth graders, on the way to growing to grades 5-8. This year’s
- New leadership team moves Woonsocket charter school forward
- > Aug 3, 7:10 AM: Michael Skeldon, Beacon’s former principal and the school’s current CEO, is ready to assume a new role as superintendent of what is now the Beacon system of schools. The charter high school extended its reach to a new
- Teachers unions lash out at Raimondo for veto of ‘continuing contracts’ bill
- > Jul 21, 7:47 AM: Gov. Gina Raimondo’s veto of a bill to extend expired municipal and teacher contracts indefinitely has sparked an override campaign by teachers unions, ending whatever temporary peace she may have forged with them.
- Raimondo vetoes ‘continuing contracts,’ charter schools bills + scorecard on other bills
- > Jul 20, 7:33 AM: On the veto front, Raimondo also squelched a bill seeking to redefine how some charter schools are treated. “This legislation would expand the definition of a ‘network’ charter school to include a single elementary school
- Freeze in state aid decried by head of RI charter schools group
- > Jul 12, 6:30 AM: The president of the Rhode Island League of Charter Schools expressed deep concern about the impact of the budget impasse on the organization’s 18 charter schools, and called on legislative leaders to resolve their budget
- Students take virtual look at new BVP Mayoral Academy High School
- Jul 6, 6:57 AM: Because BVP has “a very college-focused culture,” the new building will have the look and feel of a college campus, said Mike DeMatteo, BVP’s chief operating officer.
- Charter school ‘was a second chance for this young mother’
- > Jun 29, 6:54 AM: Nowell, a charter school in Providence and Central Falls, is committed to the idea that young parents can complete high school if provided a flexible schedule that lets them study from home and teachers who are committed
- Bill to cap charter school enrollment in Cumberland passes RI House
- Jun 29, 5:34 AM: House lawmakers passed a bill that could cut the number of students from Cumberland attending charter schools and may set the stage for similar bids from other Rhode Island communities.
- Response mixed to charter school legislation
- > Jun 15, 5:40 AM: Few communities are impacted more than Cumberland when it comes to paying for students to go to charter schools, say the authors of bills aimed at limiting the impact of those schools on the local school district.
- Former Providence School Board president to head R.I. charter league
- > Jun 9, 6:29 AM: Oliveira is the former president of the Providence School Board and current chief operating officer of the R.I. Nurses Institute Middle College Charter High School. He will take over as the league’s executive director June
- Providence charter school Times2 embroiled in leadership dispute
- > Jun 8, 7:16 AM: Parents and teachers say the once-vaunted charter school is going downhill under new executive director Rudolph Moseley Jr., but Moseley says the complaints are driven by “misinformation” put out by the teachers union.
- R.I. legislators consider proposal to require virtual education on snow days
- > May 25, 6:04 AM: A bill that passed the Senate’s committee on education Wednesday would allow schools across the state to submit by Dec. 1 a plan for virtual education during inclement weather or emergencies. The plan must be approved by
- Reps state case for charter bill before House committee
- > May 22, 7:01 AM: As public school districts around the state chafe under tight budgets, administrators have increasingly put charter schools within their crosshairs. State law requires public school districts to pay for tuitions of
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Johnston Sunrise 83%
- East Bay Newspapers 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- North-East Independent - Online 0%
- Southern Rhode Island Newspapers - Online 0%