- Teachers unions lash out at Raimondo for veto of ‘continuing contracts’ bill
- > Jul 21, 7:47 AM: Gov. Gina Raimondo’s veto of a bill to extend expired municipal and teacher contracts indefinitely has sparked an override campaign by teachers unions, ending whatever temporary peace she may have forged with them.
- Raimondo vetoes ‘continuing contracts,’ charter schools bills + scorecard on other bills
- > Jul 20, 7:33 AM: On the veto front, Raimondo also squelched a bill seeking to redefine how some charter schools are treated. “This legislation would expand the definition of a ‘network’ charter school to include a single elementary school
- Freeze in state aid decried by head of RI charter schools group
- > Jul 12, 6:30 AM: The president of the Rhode Island League of Charter Schools expressed deep concern about the impact of the budget impasse on the organization’s 18 charter schools, and called on legislative leaders to resolve their budget
- Students take virtual look at new BVP Mayoral Academy High School
- Jul 6, 6:57 AM: Because BVP has “a very college-focused culture,” the new building will have the look and feel of a college campus, said Mike DeMatteo, BVP’s chief operating officer.
- Charter school ‘was a second chance for this young mother’
- > Jun 29, 6:54 AM: Nowell, a charter school in Providence and Central Falls, is committed to the idea that young parents can complete high school if provided a flexible schedule that lets them study from home and teachers who are committed
- Bill to cap charter school enrollment in Cumberland passes RI House
- Jun 29, 5:34 AM: House lawmakers passed a bill that could cut the number of students from Cumberland attending charter schools and may set the stage for similar bids from other Rhode Island communities.
- Response mixed to charter school legislation
- > Jun 15, 5:40 AM: Few communities are impacted more than Cumberland when it comes to paying for students to go to charter schools, say the authors of bills aimed at limiting the impact of those schools on the local school district.
- Former Providence School Board president to head R.I. charter league
- > Jun 9, 6:29 AM: Oliveira is the former president of the Providence School Board and current chief operating officer of the R.I. Nurses Institute Middle College Charter High School. He will take over as the league’s executive director June
- Providence charter school Times2 embroiled in leadership dispute
- > Jun 8, 7:16 AM: Parents and teachers say the once-vaunted charter school is going downhill under new executive director Rudolph Moseley Jr., but Moseley says the complaints are driven by “misinformation” put out by the teachers union.
- R.I. legislators consider proposal to require virtual education on snow days
- > May 25, 6:04 AM: A bill that passed the Senate’s committee on education Wednesday would allow schools across the state to submit by Dec. 1 a plan for virtual education during inclement weather or emergencies. The plan must be approved by
- Reps state case for charter bill before House committee
- > May 22, 7:01 AM: As public school districts around the state chafe under tight budgets, administrators have increasingly put charter schools within their crosshairs. State law requires public school districts to pay for tuitions of
- Reps submit bill requiring charters to appoint public board member
- > May 8, 5:59 AM: Now, H 6145, which was scheduled to be heard before the House Committee on Health, Education, and Welfare on Wednesday evening, would place one publicly-elected member from a school district which sends students who
- RI Charter Public Schools Receive More Than 15,000 Applications - A New Record
- > May 4, 6:21 AM: Rhode Island charter public schools received a total of 15,430 applications for the 1,770 open sets available for the 2017-18 school year. The number represents an increase of 5.5% over the previous record of 14,628 set
- Pearson’s plan would cap charter tuitions
- > Mar 30, 6:47 AM: Sen. Ryan Pearson is seeking support for legislation that would cap Cumberland’s tuition payments to charter schools at a consistent $1.6 million per year, an amount that would save $2.2 million in this upcoming school
- A meeting of minds on charters vs. public schools
- > Mar 13, 5:40 AM: Duncan-Andrade was the keynote speaker at the day-long conference at Rhode Island College, which aims to bridge the divide between public and charter school teachers. The Learning Community runs the Teaching Studio, a
- State looks into Woonsocket charter school lottery omission
- Mar 8, 7:33 AM: The R.I. Department of Education is investigating why a mayoral charter school held a second admissions lottery after the school inadvertently left an applicant off the first lottery spreadsheet.
- Bill would require R.I. Auditor General to assess fiscal impact of charter school growth
- > Feb 3, 7:49 AM: Proposed legislation would require the state auditor general to analyze the fiscal impact of any new charter school or new charter expansion and submit those findings to the General Assembly and the Council for Elementary
- At R.I. State House, Trump proposal overshadows rally for school choice
- > Jan 27, 5:52 AM: Thursday's annual School Choice rally at the State House, which brought together dozens of private and religious schools, carried some additional weight this year due to President Donald Trump's pitch to dedicate $20
- Protest at Classical High over Providence charter school expansion
- Jan 20, 6:17 AM: Dozens of parents, teachers and students gathered next to Classical High School Thursday to protest the expansion of the Achievement First charter school.
- On short notice, a new downtown home for R.I. charter school
- > Jan 11, 7:05 AM: DeRobbio reached out to the city and the Catholic Diocese of Providence but no space was available. Then she saw a "for rent" sign for the first two floors of the former Roger Williams University building on Washington
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Johnston Sunrise 83%
- East Bay Newspapers 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- North-East Independent - Online 0%
- Southern Rhode Island Newspapers - Online 0%