- Opinion: Don’t Take Sheehan’s Misunderstandings as Facts
- > Apr 26, 5:21 AM: As I read Senator Sheehan’s April 17 opinion piece about increasing oversight of charter schools, I saw many opportunities to myth-bust charter school misconceptions. Given that misinformation about charters was shared
- Opinion: Public Oversight is a Necessity for RI Charter Schools
- > Apr 17, 5:49 AM: That’s why I introduced legislation (2018-S 2186) to provide community representation to the governing body of publicly supported charter schools when a sending community’s students comprise more than 5 percent of a
- RI Charter Schools’ Oliveira on Battling for Level Playing Field in 2018
- > Apr 6, 6:52 AM: Keith Oliveira, the Executive Director of the Rhode Island League of Charter Schools, appeared on GoLocal LIVE where he spoke to the legislative agenda of the public charter school advocacy organization in 2018.
- R.I. schools chief stresses commitment to career education
- > Mar 20, 6:16 AM: State Commissioner of Education Ken Wagner said Monday that public education is about so much more than test scores and grade point averages. It’s about finding your passion, whether it’s in English or engineering,
- Teachers’ protest drowns out Elorza’s State of the City speech
- Feb 7, 8:07 AM: Hundreds of people, protesting that Providence teachers haven’t had a contract since the end of August, rallied at City Hall Tuesday night, forcing Mayor Jorge Elorza to halt his speech several times.
- Charter school’s plan to buy vacant Warwick school fails to get hearing
- Jan 29, 7:13 AM: A Pawtucket-based charter school has failed in its efforts to buy a vacant junior high school in the city, despite support from the mayor, the neighborhood and at least one member of the City Council.
- State House bill aims to increase school choice, raise tax credit cap
- > Jan 26, 7:37 AM: Rhode Island State Representative Robert Lancia R-16 proposed a bill on Thursday that aims to increase the number of children who can afford to attend private school. Lancia’s House Bill 7055 would allow for total business
- Providence school officials say 2 new charter schools will cost city $3.8M
- > Dec 26, 6:40 AM: The expansion of existing charter schools and the addition of two more schools could cost the Providence School Department an additional $3.8 million in the upcoming fiscal year, according to the school district.
- 2 new charter schools may open in Providence
- > Dec 21, 7:14 AM: The state Council on Elementary and Secondary Education voted Tuesday to grant preliminary approval to the Wangari Maathai Community School and Charette Charter School, two public charter schools that will eventually serve
- State to withhold funding from North Kingstown schools after charter tuition flap
- Dec 18, 6:12 AM: The North Kingstown school district will lose some of its state funding because it withheld tuition to a local charter school over a dispute about charter enrollments.
- R.I. high school at forefront, using technology to prepare students for careers and college
- Dec 11, 8:24 AM: Ponaganset High School is the model for the new career and technical program hailed by Gov. Gina Raimondo in her pledge to prepare students for jobs that are both highly paid and highly skilled.
- Blackstone Valley Prep’s new high school marks milestone for charter
- > Dec 4, 7:30 AM: The new $10-million facility that opened Nov. 27 “feels like college,” students say, in keeping with the ambitious goals and academic achievements of Rhode Island’s largest charter school network.
- > Nov 22, 7:06 AM: The Woonsocket charter school that fudged its admission process received a three-year renewal Tuesday, but not before several members of the public education board expressed their dissatisfaction with the lack of a more
- Highlander Charter School objects to ‘underperforming’ rating by RI education officials
- > Nov 15, 7:05 AM: The Department of Education recommends that Highlander, with campuses in Providence and Warren, receive a three-year renewal instead of the customary five because of a drop in academic performance. But school officials say
- Achievement First postpones charter school expansion plans in Providence
- Nov 9, 7:26 AM: Achievement First, a controversial charter school network in Providence, has decided to postpone opening a new middle school next year, saying it needs to work out more details with Mayor Jorge Elorza.
- State education board members slam charter school’s admission violations
- > Nov 8, 7:26 AM: Beacon Charter School took a beating Tuesday night from several members of the Rhode Island Council on Elementary and Secondary Education, who questioned whether a three-year renewal was a strong enough response after the
- Woonsocket Beacon Charter school broke admission-lottery rule
- Nov 7, 6:47 AM: A Woonsocket charter school required that entering freshmen pass eighth-grade English and math, in violation of the state’s policy that says charter school students be admitted by a blind lottery.
- Top of class: 28 R.I. schools earn state commendation
- > Oct 20, 5:49 AM: Two Providence schools with high rates of poverty, Classical High School and Achievement First charter school, are among 28 statewide that have been recognized as commended schools by the Rhode Island Department of
- Charter school offers to buy defunct Aldrich Junior High in Warwick
- > Oct 18, 5:48 AM: City officials are exploring International Charter School’s bid of $1.9 million, with $70,000 annual payments in lieu of taxes, but are continuing to explore alternatives to make sure they’re getting the best value for the
- RI teachers union ads seek public support amid veto-override effort
- > Sep 12, 6:12 AM: With lawmakers headed back to the State House next week for a potential veto-override vote on a highly controversial contract bill, the state’s largest teachers union has launched a $92,000 ad campaign to try to change the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Johnston Sunrise 83%
- East Bay Newspapers 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- North-East Independent - Online 0%
- Southern Rhode Island Newspapers - Online 0%